Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

I haven't heard many Putin speeches in my life. Is this speech a normal level of crazy for him or is it unusually crazy?

This is remarkably unhinged for him, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Would have been better to just let Zhirinovsky do the speech.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I get the sense that he might not actually care about humanitarian issues in DNR and LNR.

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

I haven't heard many Putin speeches in my life. Is this speech a normal level of crazy for him or is it unusually crazy?

Completely off the walls like he's been up all night snorting fairy dust.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I'm surprised he hasn't brought up The Third Rome, or declared "ONWARD TO TSARGRAD" or something.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I mean, based on this speech, I could kinda see why Trump thinks Putin is his friend. They seem like two peas in a pod.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I'm surprised he hasn't brought up The Third Rome, or declared "ONWARD TO TSARGRAD" or something.

"The Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact was a mistake, you own us East Poland"

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

ronya posted:

idly wondering how the residents of the former Grand Duchy of Finland, whose independence was granted by none less than V Lenin himself, feel about current events

imo it owns that the leader of the neighboring nuclear-armed state with a huge military has gone senile and is ranting about the world like it's a paradox game and his borders aren't pretty enough

haha

lmao

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

fatherboxx posted:

Bruh the whole russian speaking twitter is in stitches

The only thing you are missing is how droning and rambling it is, same way non English speakers think Trump can talk coherently

I have never regretted not knowing Russian more

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

five dimensional chess by Putin who cannily wants his enemies to think he's an aging fascist with a completely broken brain

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, based on this speech, I could kinda see why Trump thinks Putin is his friend. They seem like two peas in a pod.

"The Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact was a mistake, you own us East Poland"
Does the whole speech re-evaluate in your eyes how far Putin wants to invade? Think that's the real question here.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1495843007702220801

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

tagesschau posted:

He just said something to the effect of "countries can't enhance their own security at the expense of other countries." Which is exactly what he's doing.
To be fair, he's not actually enhancing the security of Russia.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This is remarkably unhinged for him, in my opinion.

Read a story a few days ago from French sources that said that when Macron met with Putin he went away thinking this guy is very different from just 3 years ago and is acting totally unhinged. I totally believe it now.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Charliegrs posted:

This is unusually aggressive and unhinged.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randarkman posted:

No joke. OddObserver, since you're not watching - this is literally not a meme.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Randarkman posted:

Given he is likely intubated? Yes.

Edit: hmm, not sure about the exact condition of his COVID state, on second thought.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

This is a natural part of strongman’s life cycle soon he’ll be renaming months and appointing his cats to the duma.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I would blame drugs for this shitshow of a speech but I don't know any drugs that could do this.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I have never regretted not knowing Russian more

Most younger Russians, i.e. who you see on the internet, either do not like Putin or are fine clowning on him. His support base is oligarchs, the olds, and increasingly the more religious segments of the population. Putin has gone all-in on church promotion in a big reversal from the old Soviet Union anti-religion policy. Gov't officials kissing crosses on their knees on TV is a common occurrence nowadays.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah I've seen other Putin speeches before. This is....way different.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

I would blame drugs for this shitshow of a speech but I don't know any drugs that could do this.

i think he got off a call with macron last night at like 3am local time? so definitely can't rule out being awake for a million hours on amphetamines

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I'm wondering how the citizens of Russia will react to this. Alarm or just more eye-rolling? I understand them being rather jaded and cynical after having to put up with this for so long.

As a dumb American, I don't really have a feel for the internal dynamics in Russia.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

Ivermectin? He's allegedly been paranoid about covid which is why he does the long tables.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Sounds like he's getting into immediate next steps now.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i've gotta give some props to the translator for trying to keep on top of the rambling pace of this speach.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

UKRAINE WILL IMPLEMENT THE BLITZKRIEG

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ukraine is torturing women, children, and elderly people?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

eke out posted:

five dimensional chess by Putin who cannily wants his enemies to think he's an aging fascist with a completely broken brain

Today begins the new era of mega-realism, as million self-styled internet scholars stroke their neckbeards and proclaim this speech to be the next pinnacle of political pragmatism.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

This speech is going to have to be put in some history book and good loving luck. Lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

I'm wondering how the citizens of Russia will react to this. Alarm or just more eye-rolling? I understand them being rather jaded and cynical after having to put up with this for so long.

Fatalistic "we can't do anything about this anyway" will be the first reaction. Then alarm about what that means for the economy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

eke out posted:

ukraine is torturing women, children, and elderly people?

This has been a claim they've made since 2014, including their recent "We found a mass grave" That nobody has seen yet.

Which is ironic because after 2014, one of the first things Russia did was re-open a prison in Donbass to disappear people to or torture.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This speech is going to have to be put in some history book and good loving luck. Lol

Yeah between Putin and Trump, history books are gonna be a trip for the 2016-202x timeline.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I vaguely recall something in the media from a few months ago, saying that Putin has some kind of progressive disease and that he is looking for a successor. Is this partly why he is apparently so off the rails?

Anyone know what I'm talking about or did I just make that up?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

He spent too much time in the same room as Trump and caught the brain worms :ohdear:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

This has been a claim they've made since 2014, including their recent "We found a mass grave" That nobody has seen yet.

Which is ironic because after 2014, one of the first things Russia did was re-open a prison in Donbass to disappear people to or torture.

yeah, it's one of those things that's just baffling because it gets stated flatly without context, like how trump would have these insane factoids lodge in his brain that he'd spout off at seeming random

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

By Putin's own backwards rear end logic Kiev is far older than the Duchy of Novgorod historically

Does that mean all of Russia is actually historically claimed by Ukraine? :psyduck:

Dude has completely lost his mind

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

isaboo posted:

I vaguely recall something in the media from a few months ago, saying that Putin has some kind of progressive disease and that he is looking for a successor. Is this partly why he is apparently so off the rails?

Anyone know what I'm talking about or did I just make that up?

They were people speculating about him having Parkinson's, on no solid ground, and completely ignoring the timescale Parkinson's operates on.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

isaboo posted:

He's been doing a very poor job of that as far as I know, as there is basically no one in a position to succeed him.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Well, that's hosed.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's the 21st century; nobody "declares war" anymore.

I want to issue a correction.

This was a motherfucking war declaration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

TulliusCicero posted:

By Putin's own backwards rear end logic Kiev is far older than the Duchy of Novgorod historically

Does that mean all of Russia is actually historically claimed by Ukraine? :psyduck:

Dude has completely lost his mind

It means Kyiv and Moscow are part of the same state that was artificially divided by the Bolsheviks as a concession to Ukrainian nationalists