Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93gq8DjBDdg

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat
https://www.twitter.com/ASRomaEN/status/996047617942589441
https://www.twitter.com/asromaen/status/1005095204389642240

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Just read this article about Egyptian wheat buying and it reminded me of one of Brendan Rodgers Brent-esque management tactics at Liverpool:

quote:

The biggest buyer of wheat in the world is Egypt, which will import over 13m tonnes of the grain this year. Odd, then, that the way it makes these purchases is so archaic.

Every few weeks it summons traders to a ramshackle building in Cairo. Agents from the big firms that source, store and ship foodstuffs are told to bring an envelope with their best price inside. These are then opened and the prices revealed to all.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

And the grain’s name? Mo Salah.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
The joke getter has logged on

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Did we ever conclusively find out who the envelope player(s?) were. I didn't watch the doc so this might have been revealed immediately if so sorry

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I think Rodgers revealed nobodys name was in the envelopes

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
It was you, the fans

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Jose posted:

I think Rodgers revealed nobodys name was in the envelopes

it's pretty much the only answer that doesn't lead to the further question "wait, so if you had three of us pegged as shite in august, why didn't you just sign less shite players to replace us rather than giving us 40 appearances in order to look smug at the end of the season?"

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

it's pretty much the only answer that doesn't lead to the further question "wait, so if you had three of us pegged as shite in august, why didn't you just sign less shite players to replace us rather than giving us 40 appearances in order to look smug at the end of the season?"

I remember people saying that Rodgers stole the idea from Ferguson. Did Ferguson really do this for the 1993-1994 season to make sure the players weren't complacent?

Anyway, as Jose said, it was all motivational tactic. The envelopes were empty.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1859768-brendan-rodgers-reveals-what-was-in-envelopes-on-being-liverpool-documentary

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat
Early 90s Subbuteo drama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXh9Gb4s_Gw
Highlights are 1:24 where a player accuses his opponent's dad of pushing him and trying to thumb his eye, and 6:00 for a truly great win celebration.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Neil Lennon's calendar

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

mario balotelli's stunning liverpool career.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Was it liverpool where he knocked a goal in with his shoulder in a shocking display of disrespect

Poor Brendan thought he'd be the one to 'fix' mario

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

the sex ghost posted:

Was it liverpool where he knocked a goal in with his shoulder in a shocking display of disrespect

Poor Brendan thought he'd be the one to 'fix' mario

Nah, all the cool poo poo he did was at City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os35_XJHfg4

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
The ludicrous £500M kit sponsorship deal that Manchester U tied signed with Chevrolet to have the hideous gold bowtie logo on it which also cost the head of Chevy's Marketing his job.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

sticksy posted:

The ludicrous £500M kit sponsorship deal that Manchester U tied signed with Chevrolet to have the hideous gold bowtie logo on it which also cost the head of Chevy's Marketing his job.

And even coincided with Chevy pulling out of the British car market, right?

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Sandwolf posted:

what does the british market have to do with using manchester united for marketing

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

UnderFreddy posted:

what does the british market have to do with using manchester united for marketing

it’s funny that Chevy and United negotiated an extremely expensive sponsorship deal that probably never benefited Chevy

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

it’s funny that Chevy and United negotiated an extremely expensive sponsorship deal that probably never benefited Chevy

Did you forget the prem has been all over NBC for nearly 10 years now

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Did you forget the prem has been all over NBC for nearly 10 years now

the person who negotiated the deal got fired, it was obviously a mistake

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The firing of a global head of marketing probably has a lot of factors beyond negotiating a single sponsorship deal.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
They were bad shirts

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

The firing of a global head of marketing probably has a lot of factors beyond negotiating a single sponsorship deal.

It was the single sponsorship deal, especially since it was like 2x annually what Aon had been paying in a primary market Chevrolet basically don't participate in and he took funds from multiple units to structure it without board approval:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10000872396390444860104577557071263854622

Sandwolf posted:

Correct:
https://carsalesbase.com/manchester-united-sponsorship-less-great-deal-for-chevrolet/

quote:

However, less than eighteen months after the official announcement of the deal, and even before the Chevrolet bowtie logo was supposed to appear on the official Manchester United shirts, General Motors announced it would withdraw Chevrolet from the European market.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 20, 2022

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

United are so loving dogshit they caused an executive at another separate company to be fired. Inspiring levels of dogshit.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That was truly Ed Woodward's finest hour

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

isn't their current sponsor also some insanely dodgy deal where they're paying like 1/4 of the companies revenue annually

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Sandwolf posted:

United are so loving dogshit they caused an executive at another separate company to be fired. Inspiring levels of dogshit.
You could say they are

dogshited.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sticksy posted:

Didn't the Chevy exec do that deal because he was a big Manchester United fan and also negotiated it without telling anybody in the board about it?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jose posted:

isn't their current sponsor also some insanely dodgy deal where they're paying like 1/4 of the companies revenue annually

Yes

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Didn't the Chevy exec do that deal because he was a big Manchester United fan and also negotiated it without telling anybody in the board about it?

iirc he they knew about the deal but he didn't tell them how much it'd actually cost.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKIbx10tj0U

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNEm5yHvkaY

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

The one where he destroys the ref ought to have a “wasted” graphic. :kiss:

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
That time Chelsea subbed off Mendy for Kepa in the 120th minute of the league cup final, and not only did he fail to save any of the eleven penalties he faced, but then spooned his one 9000 miles over the bar, losing Chelsea the final

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Wazzerphuk posted:

That time Chelsea subbed off Mendy for Kepa in the 120th minute of the league cup final, and not only did he fail to save any of the eleven penalties he faced, but then spooned his one 9000 miles over the bar, losing Chelsea the final

Hahahahahahahahahaaa

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Wazzerphuk posted:

:lol:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Wazzerphuk posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Wazzerphuk posted:

:discourse: