Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Though we could get some more animations out of it, like the 4D Ride where the EVAs annoy their dad Godzilla for a while until their drunk uncle Ghidorah shows up to ruin everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A shared universe for all those would be so lame. Tokyo or the world at large gets destroyed in drastically different ways in pretty much each installment of Godzilla and Eva alone.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Detective No. 27 posted:

A shared universe for all those would be so lame. Tokyo or the world at large gets destroyed in drastically different ways in pretty much each installment of Godzilla and Eva alone.

If you changed Tokyo to New York and Godzilla and Eva to Spider-Man and Superman, you'd also be describing superhero movies :v: We sure do live in creatively bankrupt times!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was thinking the same. Marvel films save the "actual poo poo goes down" movies for Avengers usually so Johnny Smalltime hero movies aren't really gonna have actual world shattering events happen or long term consequences that happen to anyone but them and their small cast.

Though that's what made Snyder's approach with Man of Steel and BvS so refreshing, being a rare superhero film that actually put some thought into how the world would react to finding out that they're not alone in the universe and the fallout from a world invasion.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was thinking the same. Marvel films save the "actual poo poo goes down" movies for Avengers usually so Johnny Smalltime hero movies aren't really gonna have actual world shattering events happen or long term consequences that happen to anyone but them and their small cast.

The newest Spider-Man and Doctor Strange movies have stakes which are too big for even one universe's destruction. That number's going up, even for Johnny Smalltime hero movies!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Though that's what made Snyder's approach with Man of Steel and BvS so refreshing, being a rare superhero film that actually put some thought into how the world would react to finding out that they're not alone in the universe and the fallout from a world invasion.

Would it be safe to conclude that your fears about this hypothetical/potential shared universe being lame are less about the four properties not working well and more about it being more of the creatively bankrupt same? I agree, these properties being treated like the MCU would be a letdown for me too.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
It wouldnt make sense to connect godzilla and eva in the original series but an au where godzilla fights the evas would be funny and probably look pretty cool

However, 3.0+1.0 made it pretty clear anno wants to move on from actual shows or movies for eva and i respect that

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dammerung posted:

The newest Spider-Man and Doctor Strange movies have stakes which are too big for even one universe's destruction. That number's going up, even for Johnny Smalltime hero movies!

Would it be safe to conclude that your fears about this hypothetical/potential shared universe being lame are less about the four properties not working well and more about it being more of the creatively bankrupt same? I agree, these properties being treated like the MCU would be a letdown for me too.

I think so. I don't wanna turn this into another comic book thread so I'll hold off on further thoughts on those. (I haven't seen No Way Home yet but I got the basic gist through Twitter spoilers and pop culture osmosis.) My concerns with making it all a multiverse means they still gotta work in the constraints of wondering how things will play up in future sequels of the other properties rather than telling the story they got in front of them. It feels lame when the shared changes feel like a status quo shakeup by the editor in chief.

That said I'm glad that this Annoverse is more of a marketing term thing referring to his cool reboots rather than a shared thing.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

mandatory lesbian posted:

It wouldnt make sense to connect godzilla and eva in the original series but an au where godzilla fights the evas would be funny and probably look pretty cool

However, 3.0+1.0 made it pretty clear anno wants to move on from actual shows or movies for eva and i respect that

In all honesty, I haven't seen them yet. I watched the original Evangelion when I was really young, didn't understand any of it, and got kinda disturbed. I need to rewatch it!

Detective No. 27 posted:

My concerns with making it all a multiverse means they still gotta work in the constraints of wondering how things will play up in future sequels of the other properties rather than telling the story they got in front of them. It feels lame when the shared changes feel like a status quo shakeup by the editor in chief.

110% this! I have faith that it'll be enjoyable, but... Especially Godzilla, when there's a misstep, everybody knows it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Get in the Eva, Godzilla.

get on the bike, shinji

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I guess crossing over with the Ultra series would be too on the nose

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Asterite34 posted:

Justice mix album cover right there

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Asterite34 posted:

I'm sure I've made this joke before, but young Anno watching that scene,

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I am ALL-loving-IN on a long-running kaijuverse epic series from Toho/Daiei/Tsubaraya et al. I have no idea how they'd even begin to make it work but Jesus Christ the scale of the thing would have to be immense. How do you even try to slot Kamen Rider in there? Who gets to be the Thanos (I mean, probably King Ghidorah since that's the villain name with the biggest draw, but things get way crazy way quick with Ultraman and Eva baddies). What the gently caress would Ultraman's reaction be to the Evas and their mentally and emotionally broken pilots. Do I get to see Godzilla gently caress up an angel? Do I get to see Godzilla actually take on Ultraman? Fuuuuuuuuck.

Like a movie Super Robot Wars, it'd be. Just overstimulated storytelling nonsense but gently caress it. Get in the Mecha King Ghidorah, Shinji. Get on the tiny human motorcycle, Godzilla. Hayato, that Eva wants to disembowel you and eat your color timer, so you better kick its rear end.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh no, Shocker has taken control of King Zettonorah! It's generating the largest AT Field we've ever seen!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A Godzilla/Eva crossover feels weird because it's hard to see what Eva adds to the mix. Shin Godzilla and Godzilla SP basically did (most of) Eva's schtick as it is.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I watched Eva for the first time over this week and had a number of "oh that's where this thing in Shin Godzilla came from' moments.

The main characters in Shin Godzilla are different because they are actually invested in understanding and stopping the crisis though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shiroc posted:

I watched Eva for the first time over this week and had a number of "oh that's where this thing in Shin Godzilla came from' moments.

Especially

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u6V6UisBz8.

I watched Evangelion first, and I was hooting and hollering when that started playing in Shin Godzilla.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

Especially

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKCEiNk198E

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

Especially

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u6V6UisBz8.

I watched Evangelion first, and I was hooting and hollering when that started playing in Shin Godzilla.

A friend in Japan who’s husband often writes and directs Ultraman episodes/movies told me this composer’s father was the main man behind Lion Maru and I was all :monocle:

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
The Official Godzilla Compendium is for sale at a minimum of $84 on Amazon? Makes me almost tempted to put my copy up for sale.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Anyone have any insight into that weird giant statue that baby Mothra wrecked just after she hatched in KOTM? It's super brief at like the 8 minute mark and I missed it the last six times I saw this movie. It looks like a Naruto.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This thing?

There are two of them it looks like. Probably meant to represent the twins.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah there's one on either side, you get glimpses of them earlier in the scene.

Here's some concept art which is a little clearer although it looks like they just photoshopped in a statue they found on google

https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/1253475430121627650

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Flint Ironstag posted:

The Official Godzilla Compendium is for sale at a minimum of $84 on Amazon? Makes me almost tempted to put my copy up for sale.

My copy's beat to hell but I'd never part with it anyways, it opened my world up to the 90s films and Godzilla fandom. Looking back now it's pretty shallow, Toho-sanctioned product and obviously not as deep or interesting as Ryfle or Kalat, for example, but I still love it.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

My copy's beat to hell but I'd never part with it anyways, it opened my world up to the 90s films and Godzilla fandom. Looking back now it's pretty shallow, Toho-sanctioned product and obviously not as deep or interesting as Ryfle or Kalat, for example, but I still love it.

Yeah, mine is in good condition. But, as tempted as I have been over the years due to the prices I have seen them going for, just can't bear to part with it. I bought mine back when the only 90s films were available on bootleg VHS.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
As far as books go, I'd recommend the Critical History and Filmography of Godzilla and Godzilla: History of Formative Arts. There are also great Heisei books called Perfection for the Heisei and Heisei Chronicles which, IIRC, are mostly or all in Japanese text but have great pictures

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I've always hoped Steve Ryfle would do a new edition. My copy is well loved but very old and the book only covers up til 98. I would be fascinated to see his take on the millennium and legendary films, honestly at this point there's enough material to fill a whole other book as opposed to an updated edition. Maybe it's a challenge finding a willing publisher, but with Godzilla's increased popularity of late you'd think someone would take it up.

EDIT: Spoke too soon, but apparently he has another book called Godzilla vs. The World in the works

Karloff fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 5, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Nodoze posted:

As far as books go, I'd recommend the Critical History and Filmography of Godzilla

Can confirm, this one is great.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Karloff posted:

EDIT: Spoke too soon, but apparently he has another book called Godzilla vs. The World in the works

That good news, just followed him on Amazon so I know when it comes out.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
If you have any interest in pinball, Stern made a Godzilla table. It’s pretty fun! On the fancy editions there’s a skyscraper that collapses and a bridge you can knock down. I wish there was a King Ghidora toy on the playfield but I guess MechaGodzilla will have to do.

It probably plays the theme sometimes when you’re playing but the event I saw it at was super loud so I couldn’t tell. Definitely plays the Blue Oyster Cult song on game over, though.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
In other news, Dawn of the Monsters came out today and based on what I've played so far I can highly recommend it. It's a nice and crunchy beat em up where not-Godzilla, not-Gamora, not-Ulyraman and not-EVA Unit 1 team up to punch a whole bunch of kaiju. It also does a lot of things right that previous kaiju games didn't. Monsters feel heavy and powerful, the entire environment can be destroyed or weaponized and the control scheme is accessible and fair in a way that older games like SNK's King of the Monsters aren't. The lead designer also hosted this panel a few years ago.

loving loving it so far.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

In other news, Dawn of the Monsters came out today and based on what I've played so far I can highly recommend it. It's a nice and crunchy beat em up where not-Godzilla, not-Gamora, not-Ulyraman and not-EVA Unit 1 team up to punch a whole bunch of kaiju. It also does a lot of things right that previous kaiju games didn't. Monsters feel heavy and powerful, the entire environment can be destroyed or weaponized and the control scheme is accessible and fair in a way that older games like SNK's King of the Monsters aren't. The lead designer also hosted this panel a few years ago.

loving loving it so far.

The top steam review says "I killed a kaiju with the head of his friend"

I'm sold!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I think I'm going to try and get the physical copy of the game. It looks great

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Adding to previous posts that you can not only kill a kaiju with another kaiju's head, you can also pick up discarded missile and maser trucks and use them as Godzilla-with-a-gun. This game is awesome.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Godzilla-with-a-gun.

That's all I've ever wanted tbh

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

That's all I've ever wanted tbh

Oh! Kvlt!

https://twitter.com/super7store/status/1503747989990424588

Tomorrow, they're annoying a new figure of that Godzilla and Biollante

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

Oh! Kvlt!

https://twitter.com/super7store/status/1503747989990424588

Tomorrow, they're annoying a new figure of that Godzilla and Biollante

You rock! Thanks so much for the heads up, now I can start saving so I can hopefully afford it by the time it comes out lmao

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

You rock! Thanks so much for the heads up, now I can start saving so I can hopefully afford it by the time it comes out lmao

So these are made to order. They won't be out for probably a year

You can either pre-order them on one of the usual online stores, or pay up front at Super7 itself.

https://preorder.super7store.com/collections/toho-ultimates-wave-1

The pre-orders on the other stores will take the money when the product is ready to ship, while Super7 takes it, well, up front, during their preorder period which is usually a month long. But Super7 also offers a payment plan of X amount over X months, which you'll find the details of out on their site.

The pros and cons are pretty self evident. Pay up front, you don't have to pay later. Keep it on preorder with another site, you pay when it comes out. Do make sure to put it on pre-order though. Its rare for them to sell out, but it's happened once or twice. Generally you'll be fine- the online stores tend to order extras for late comers.

I believe this is Rose Biollante's first figure which is fun. I was hoping for her crocodile form though, but this works too

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah there have been soft vinyl rose Biolantes but not ‘action figure’ versions afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

So these are made to order. They won't be out for probably a year

You can either pre-order them on one of the usual online stores, or pay up front at Super7 itself.

https://preorder.super7store.com/collections/toho-ultimates-wave-1

The pre-orders on the other stores will take the money when the product is ready to ship, while Super7 takes it, well, up front, during their preorder period which is usually a month long. But Super7 also offers a payment plan of X amount over X months, which you'll find the details of out on their site.

The pros and cons are pretty self evident. Pay up front, you don't have to pay later. Keep it on preorder with another site, you pay when it comes out. Do make sure to put it on pre-order though. Its rare for them to sell out, but it's happened once or twice. Generally you'll be fine- the online stores tend to order extras for late comers.

I believe this is Rose Biollante's first figure which is fun. I was hoping for her crocodile form though, but this works too

They were actually more reasonable priced than I thought they'd be, I was able to put Biollante on preorder and pay up front which I'm pretty excited about. I'm going to see if I can pay for Godzilla too before the pre-order period expires but if not, thanks for the heads up on other sites which let you pay later. I'm wicked psyched for these bad boys!