Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The other thing you can do to round out your daemon armies, befriend norsca, recruit their units. Or try warriors of chaos and not get many because they are broken as far as recruitment goes.

You can get chosen from them at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Insurrectionist posted:

I got to turn 70 with Ogres on my campaign and I just kind of petered out so here is my lengthy and unasked for review of playing this faction. The Realm of Chaos stuff didn't engage me, but honestly I just completely ignored it and it mostly didn't matter since obviously I was nowhere near the lose condition that early on. And I could autoresolve the invading demon armies attacking my T3 settlement garrisons, though that might change with later spawns.

The biggest issue for me was 100% battles. I just did not have fun with them at all. The primary culprit was settlement battles. They were just all chores. In my 70 turns I fought 26 battles, not counting autoresolves. One of those was a field battle, because my ally was in range to attack an army I was pursuing and I got to join in. It was ok but we completely outnumbered and outgunned the opponent so combined with the reinforcement timer, all I could really do was send my units towards the battle-lines and basically instantly win once they got there.

Of the remaining 25 battles, 4 were walled settlement sieges. Three of these were boring. I completely outnumbered and outgunned the settlement garrison, but because of towers (on walls and inside) I took probably 60% casualties and ended with Pyrrhic victories, as my Ogres bumbled about running into each-other constantly and loving up pathfinding. Ogres have bonkers casualty replenishment so this would usually only mean a single turn spent sitting around before moving on, but making sure none of my units got wiped out was definitely tedious. The last one had a bit more of a defensive force and was therefore ludicrously hard. The fact that Ogres have no useful artillery for this before T5 makes it tougher - the scrap throwers are fine at killing units but utter garbage vs towers.

Another 4 were defensive settlement battles. Two of those were an enemy 20 stack against a basic settlement garrison, not actually worth fighting but it was early on and I didn't have a feel for how much I could defend against. The other two were kinda fun!

17 of my 26 battles were me attacking minor settlements. Some were easy. Some were hard. Maybe two were any kind of fun. All involved absolute pathfinding shitshows, constant guesswork about whether my units could shoot at the supply towers (often, moving them around to the other side of the tower did the trick!). I was really excited for minor settlement fights for this game - while I didn't play Troy much, I had a fair amount of fun with them in that game. I kinda hate them now. I would hate them less if they were 10% of my battles instead of 80%.

At no point in the campaign was I able to initiate a field battle. I know about the baiting lord + ambush trick, but it feels cheap and given I need armies to defend multiple parts of my empire and I play on VH with no 5k initial buffer, I wasn't able to justify the extra lord + supply lines cost for most of this time either. Also, Greasus has a poo poo ambush success chance in general, and keeps getting followed by agents that I cannot assassinate - I have tried like 10 times with 45 - 60% success chance and never succeeded, didn't have this kinda trouble with it in the last game.

I dunno, the experience just sucked. The last 15 turns I mostly just autoresolved poo poo. I spent 4 turns sieging a city so I could autoresolve it instead of fight it even though it only had the garrison in there, and I kinda realized that is the opposite of what the game should be about. I'll just play Elden Ring and wait for updates and/or IE.

E: This was on VH/Normal, I usually played TWW2 on the same or VH/H. I didn't really have any issues with the campaign part besides finding the Realm of Chaos unengaging, it was suitably challenging and reasonably fun.

not tryna be a dick but it sounds like at least some of this could be mitigated by just playing on hard

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reik posted:

We all know immortal empires will be coming out, and if they didn't make the base map a race against the AI quest thing then WH3 would have two "paint the map" campaigns of varying sizes/factions and that sounds like a bad plan.

As opposed to TW2 which has one campaign map that is unplayable for half the factions and one campaign map that is larger than it needs to be but at least you don't have any stupid poo poo in the way.

Yes it would absolutely be 100% better if they designed both maps to be fun, if they can't create two good gamemodes then just make one on two map sizes. If they don't fix the gameplay drastically I'm just never going to play the game using the actual map it comes with.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

TaintedBalance posted:

Did an AI get into a realm you needed 2 turns before you? Welp, ignore the loving portal because you ain't winning it. Also, hope you enjoy dealing with your neighbors portals because anti-player bias will see armies just pour out of them and beeline to you, despite the AI having stacks right next to the portal in a settlement that could easily just go close it.

Three of the four realms aren't that bad. If you go into Khorne or Nurgle a couple of turns late you just have to beat up the AI stack and win. And if you go into the Slaanesh realm a couple of turns late sure you won't win but there's a nice consolation prize. On the other hand I can't say anything good about the Realm of Tzeentch.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Fuligin posted:

not tryna be a dick but it sounds like at least some of this could be mitigated by just playing on hard

These are basically all complaints about the battles, and I played on normal battle difficulty? Besides possibly making armies less skittish, which I have seen no consistent confirmation of being the case on normal anyway, I didn't feel like my campaign experience was bad at all.

Hard and Very Hard don't do anything about the pathfinding or towers anyway. I tried assaulting from all sides as well as just concentrated my forces in one spot, but both felt pretty poo poo to me in terms of towers doing ridiculous damage.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Regenerating towers 100% shouldn't be a thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't honestly think they need to be a thing at all, I don't see what benefit they offer over just giving the garrison another unit or two of archers.

Barricades are plenty good, and they only really do anything when combined with troops which is the point.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
man i wish the game would launch so i too could slate it

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I don't even think towers are all that bad an inclusion. But when they are in every battle, it just gets tedious to deal with them. It just feels like a casualty tax if you ever want to do anything but defend your own territory.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I actually am loving Ogres and find their pathfinding in cities largely fine, if not better than the other factions due to the fact that there's just less of them. I love the minor settlement battles because I can consistently just completely take apart armies that are much better than mine with clever positioning and ambushes. Easily my fave part of the game so far.

I recently had an amazing battle at Laurelorn Forest. I lured most of the elves to one side of the map, with a group of 5-6 ogres hidden in the woods on the left. They deployed with nobody guarding their left flank and only their leader in the center. Snuck my ogres around capping points, sending a few to do back charges, while I had the rest of my army taking horrific casualties eating arrows fighting the bulk of their army. Would have pulled out the win even without the victory points, but it was a ton of fun and clever exploitation meant i made it through without losing any units. very strategic, much fun. I've the same story about a bunch of settlement battles.

I do think more field battles would be nice. make the AI a touch more aggressive at sallying out, maybe only do settlement values at tier 2 and up, idk. But they really did well with that one.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
There seems to be something up with how the AI gets to start every minor settlement battle with six barricades and four towers, but I have to wait an age to accumulate supplies

Or have I missed some UI element somewhere

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ristolaz posted:

Its unintuitive but yeah, tzeench knights are the best frontline troops for them. Forsaken are NOT good frontline, they have 20MD lol. I havent tested, but I would honestly try using more pink horrors as frontline if I didnt have knights. They don't have much armor, but they have 36MD which is on the level of a good midtier defensive unit, and theyll provide more firepower to soften up the enemy when they approach.
Forsaken isn't a good frontline, true, but they actually do some damage in melee, can hold better than pink horrors, and more importantly, they actually have some replenishment thanks to that one right side tech on the tech tree.

It's hard to overstate just how bad replenishment is for the whole Tzeentch faction.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Been running with two furys to see how bad towers can be.

While they are being built the first time, you can not damage them.
After that, any time they are rebuilt, you can attack them as they are being brought up.

Two furys nullified all towers with no problem.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
While I've had a few minor issues with pathfinding (primarily on city maps with bridges, trying to order a group of units across a bridge seems to cause them to freak oujt, either single-filing across or getting half way, deciding to reform their formation and running back the way they came to do so), the Kislev sleds and Cathay artillery seem super hosed by it. idk what it is but that kinda caravan unit seems to get hung up trying to position both the animals and the cart, more than a few situations where I've ordered a Lil' Grom to shoot something, the bears stare at it while the cart gets stuck at an angle and it sits there doing nothing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Blue Horrors are the best Tzeentch front line because they're cheap, have a good ranged attack that'll gently caress up at least one enemy unit and enough HP/Shields to tarpit while you melt things. And you can just disband/re-recruit them easily.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Big dick birb.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also as Tzeentch, get a cultist in each army, since they eventually learn 3x pink horror and 1x Lord of Change summon for every battle.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I want to like the settlement changes because on the defense side it means garrisons aren't pointless after turn 10 when everyone has a full stack of units and just steamrolls through all your settlements until you get a lord over to smack them down.

On the other hand when it comes to offense and the AI is just camping out in their settlements, suddenly having to fight 26-30+ units on top of the towers is so drat tedious. I would prefer to sit and wait out the siege timer but these games really don't want you waiting around doing nothing.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Broken Cog posted:

Also as Tzeentch, get a cultist in each army, since they eventually learn 3x pink horror and 1x Lord of Change summon for every battle.

All the Cultists do with their appropriate God. Slaanesh is by far my fave for this, as you can dump a squad of Daemonettes or a Keeper right behind a tough squad and let that flank bonus blender them.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Is there a fix for the unit size bug? Or are my Ultra sized units really supposed to be 80 man strong?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grimson posted:

Is there a fix for the unit size bug? Or are my Ultra sized units really supposed to be 80 man strong?

That's their actual size.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
One of the weirder little bugs is that the random name generator can get stuck on one specific name. All the Bjornling dudes have been Valnir Mammoth-Rider so far.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

So the minor settlement battles with magic regenerating towers and barricades is only in WH3 right? I've enjoyed the proper big siege battles but the winding city fights are tedious. Besieging them a turn or two sometimes gets them to come out and play and we can have a proper field battle and then I can just auto the settlement battle, but it doesn't always work.

I'm really enjoying WH3 as my first TW WH game but these battles are definitely a drag. The crashing on alt-tab is also really bad for a game with long load times. I've lost a lot of progress a couple times when alt-tabing during a loading screen. The performance is also weird since it's perfectly fine during big battles but sometimes the campaign map can get pretty bad even with shadows/fog on low.

I still have an unplayed copy of WH2 I think I'm gonna go try at least until the crashing is fixed. I will miss Cathay though. They are such a fun faction.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It looks like Warriors of Chaos settlements have the recruiting buildings of the WoC hordes and the economic buildings of the Norse. They have the loot pile for growth and the slave camp for money.

What’s the difference between the portal and the keep as the province capitol main settlement building for demonic factions? IIRC the portal spreads more corruption while the keep has more growth, but they both have so many traits that my eyes kind of glaze over when I read them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Grimson posted:

Uh, yeah. Depends on the unit but very few get significantly above that unless they're total chaff like Skavenslaves or Zombies.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Grimson posted:

Kislev has smaller unit sizes to compensate for basically every unit having competent ranged weaponry.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Insurrectionist posted:

These are basically all complaints about the battles, and I played on normal battle difficulty? Besides possibly making armies less skittish, which I have seen no consistent confirmation of being the case on normal anyway, I didn't feel like my campaign experience was bad at all.

Hard and Very Hard don't do anything about the pathfinding or towers anyway. I tried assaulting from all sides as well as just concentrated my forces in one spot, but both felt pretty poo poo to me in terms of towers doing ridiculous damage.

i mean re: lack of field battles

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I usually had alt tab issues with tww2, it always seemed to work better from the steam overlay than the game itsself if that works for you.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I keep closing portals for field battles.
I ambush people and fail for field battles.
I sally out of my base for field battles.

I can not stop getting them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Trying Katarina again. I can't seem to do the minor settlement battles any better than auto resolve. I like the idea of them but I always get screwed over every which way. When I'm attacking my units feel like slugs. When I'm defending attackers dart past my units and I can never catch up to them.

Trying to get that first oblast asap which is hard because Norscans harass you from the north. Still trying to figure out whether to go farms or the main money building. Farms give you a little of everything which is versatile, and I guess later on the sheer number of bonuses to farm income might make it worthwhile but you need the Woods building to get the most out of them.

Took me a while to learn you can hire mercenary ogres near fort jakova, which helps out in the short term. Since the recruitment is instant you can wait until you are about to attack to get them to save on upkeep costs. I tried the blizzard offering to help soften up armies about to siege me.

Frozen ground spell and all ranged units is a nice combo but I struggle to find terrain to help facilitate this.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Farmland where you want to ambush.

Or if you want to save slots.

Otherwise you are going churches and drinking with one province having a tavern.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Realized yesterday that the upkeep bug was back. I'll rationalize it as my generals going mad and wandering off into the chaos wastes. Makes legendary simply unplayable.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Aurubin posted:

Realized yesterday that the upkeep bug was back. I'll rationalize it as my generals going mad and wandering off into the chaos wastes. Makes legendary simply unplayable.

just suicide them. tho this does make the wh2 cycling for lord traits defunct which is kinda hosed

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Finished my first Kislev campaign with a loss as the Nurgle beat me to the quest objective. It took 219 turns so I should have hurried it up near the end, though there was some sort of weird rift timer desync after I was forced out of a chaos realm when an AI reached a soul before me. Afterwards the rifts would all spontaneously disappear on a separate timer completely unrelated to what was displayed on the top bar. When I try Kislev again I'll probably rush Sylvania because it should allow me to fund an extra army early on and free up the effort needed go into the rifts.

The campaign mechanics seem mostly fine to me apart from the desync bug. After getting the four souls the AI will take some arbitrary amount of time (for me it was about 70 extra turns, I think) before trying the final quest battle, and they can still fail that even if you don't intercept them, so there shouldn't be that much of a rush to directly compete with them in the same realms.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Fuligin posted:

i mean re: lack of field battles

I've seen some people say it's better on normal and others say they had the exact same experience on normal so IDK.

In terms of difficulty, I felt like VH was appropriate for the campaign, and I feel like turning it down while potentially making for more field battles would also make the campaign part of the game quite a bit more boring. Potentially a worthwhile trade-off, but again I haven't even seen any reliable consensus on if that would work. Either way I would hope for a better solution eventually.

Frankly I don't even think the AI in TWW2 was noticeably braver. It just didn't matter that much when the only difference between field and minor settlement battle was the presence of the garrison and such.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Taking the southern mountains as Miao suuuuuucks. A lot of the capitals only having 4 slots down there makes it extra painful, although I'm slowly tearing the ogres down. Thankfully they don't get underway stance, or that area would be impossible to take. I do suspect I'm doing it wrong and should be going tall as Cathay because of how the objectives are structured, but there is map to paint! And I can see some nice green territory down by the coast which could be useful for the bizarre Cathay tech of bonus income from all those ports they definitely do not have in their landlocked starting area.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The port techs also got a good chuckle out of me.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Promethium posted:

The campaign mechanics seem mostly fine to me apart from the desync bug. After getting the four souls the AI will take some arbitrary amount of time (for me it was about 70 extra turns, I think) before trying the final quest battle, and they can still fail that even if you don't intercept them, so there shouldn't be that much of a rush to directly compete with them in the same realms.

Huh. I camped out my Cathay campaign before calling it as a lost and Skarbrand was in there within 4 turns of getting his last soul. Were you beating your enemies up on the campaign map too?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think all defensive buildings (and possibly just the act of besieging itself? Need to test) give more supplies to the defender for each turn they're under siege, so keep that in mind if you're trying to bleed them down with attrition for a bit, might not be worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm starting to think that minor settlement battles and sieges were designed this way on purpose just to mess with ranged armies.