Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I don't think "Oh poo poo, in the US, that word is generally used as an insult for ADHD kids, not for intellectually disabled ones like it is in the UK" and "It's still a word that probably shouldn't be used casually, as it's making fun of SOME type of disorder/disability" are mutually exclusive. :shrug:

I haven't used the word since high school, for the record! I just don't think "The word has a slightly different, although still negative, connotation over here" automatically means someone is demanding to be able to say it whenever they want. (Except for this person:)

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

I use it as a description of a lot of movement that anyone does, if you take that as an insult thats your perogative and I cant help that.

My partner's family uses the word "tweaker" instead (which, hey, is insulting to a THIRD group of people). My partner used to call me that when I was being overly nervous/anxious, until I told him it hurt my feelings. It's for a really weird reason (in middle and high school, I was both VERY nervous and VERY skinny, so some folks would call me "tweaker" or "crackhead"), but he still respected that it hurt my feelings and stopped.

I knew a guy who HATED being called things like "buddy", "pal", "kid", etc. because his dad would say poo poo like that right before he beat him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
in the UK spastic is deeply offensive and oval office isn't. in the US it is reversed. different places different things. If I'm ordering arroz con frijoles negro that's very different from me saying that last word to refer to a person

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Vitruvian Manic posted:

in the UK spastic is deeply offensive and oval office isn't. in the US it is reversed. different places different things. If I'm ordering arroz con frijoles negro that's very different from me saying that last word to refer to a person

Let's bring back this classic (that happens every year):

https://twitter.com/crayola/status/1266464416058560512
https://twitter.com/crayola/status/464381000189886464?lang=en

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

I use it as a description of a lot of movement that anyone does, if you take that as an insult thats your perogative and I cant help that.

Could you consider not to? It's not a very nice word.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Read After Burning posted:

I don't think "Oh poo poo, in the US, that word is generally used as an insult for ADHD kids,

why is this ok again?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

kazil posted:

why is this ok again?

It's not! I think we're just taught (as lovely American kids growing up, hopefully kids these days know by now) that making fun of mentally disabled kids is of course BAD BAD BAD, but it's still okay to go "Lol he has ADHD HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL, SHINY!!!!!!!!!!!!" :shrug:

At least that's how I remember it from high school in the 2000s. :shrug: Pointing and laughing at the kids with Downs Syndrome made you a giant rear end in a top hat, but pointing and laughing at the zippy hyperactive kid was still seen as okay.

"Zippy" is a better substitute for that word, in my opinion.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they just want to fight, don't let them get to you

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Sorry, all. To clarify: again, I know it's a lovely word and I haven't used it since high school. I just don't think someone saying "Oh, I didn't realize, it has a different (but still negative) connotation over here" automatically means "...So therefore I will keep saying it".

Unfortunately, those two often go hand-in-hand. :(

Regarding the new vegan chorizo at Chipotle:

quote:

only commiefornians will buy this

Also, I dunno if this is IoSM or a Dumb Marketing Move, but I am getting real loving sick of seeing this rear end in a top hat's softboi face. Can we please succeed in running him off the Internet? He helped his buddy sexually assault at least one drunk girl, almost got another friend almost killed via a stupid stunt, has been repeatedly racist, etc. Do not give him a TV show.

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Feb 21, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Goons dying on the hill of using a word I haven’t heard since I was a kid (and even then pretty rarely) is never not funny

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Seaniqua posted:

I think it takes some pretty obtuse mental gymnastics to equate it to calling things "gay", though. When I was in middle school, I called things gay because every dumb little kid I knew did it. I knew that word meant homosexual and chose to say it anyway. Then I grew up and realized that was hurtful and that being gay isn't wrong or bad.
In the UK at least we definitely knew it referred to some kind of physical disability. Also people used “spastic” as an insult so much (almost with the same frequency as “gay”) that it would just get shortened to “spa” because you need to be efficient with those syllables.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It could be ADHD, kids with executive function issues, or other kinds of neurodivergence, or just one that is kind of excitable. In the US it's not really ever used to refer to kids with cerebral palsy or who act like kids with cerebral palsy but it is definitely a pejorative. Honestly it's not great to make fun of kids at all but there isn't a connection to that specific disability here.

It's not like "oval office" because that word only means a vulgar (if not always considered that vulgar) word for female genitals, it's not like in Australia it's used as a short form of another word.

"Gay" only means happy or homosexual, so unless a kid is trying to say another kid seems really cheerful it's going to be associating homosexuality with being bad.

Spasming happens to everyone - a hiccup is a spasm. It's unpredictable and unpleasant, like a lot of kids (even neurotypical ones) are. You still shouldn't use because it's mean and especially not in a context where the audience might be used to it being a really hosed up thing to say.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

^ Yup, basically this.

Question Mark Mound posted:

...that it would just get shortened to “spa” because you need to be efficient with those syllables.

Don't y'all do this with calling people a "mong"? I kept hearing this British Youtuber use it in some of his older videos, and thought he was saying "Hmong" and was VERY confused.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In the UK at least we definitely knew it referred to some kind of physical disability. Also people used “spastic” as an insult so much (almost with the same frequency as “gay”) that it would just get shortened to “spa” because you need to be efficient with those syllables.

Then the charity changed their name from 'The Spastics Society' to 'SCOPE' in a sense of 'lets see you try do something with that', and within a day everyone was calling each other a 'scope prick' and the like. You're never gonna get a win over kids like that.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

Using "spaz" innocently, as a compliment.

Thank you

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022

Baron von Eevl posted:

It could be ADHD, kids with executive function issues, or other kinds of neurodivergence, or just one that is kind of excitable. In the US it's not really ever used to refer to kids with cerebral palsy or who act like kids with cerebral palsy but it is definitely a pejorative. Honestly it's not great to make fun of kids at all but there isn't a connection to that specific disability here.

It's not like "oval office" because that word only means a vulgar (if not always considered that vulgar) word for female genitals, it's not like in Australia it's used as a short form of another word.

"Gay" only means happy or homosexual, so unless a kid is trying to say another kid seems really cheerful it's going to be associating homosexuality with being bad.

Spasming happens to everyone - a hiccup is a spasm. It's unpredictable and unpleasant, like a lot of kids (even neurotypical ones) are. You still shouldn't use because it's mean and especially not in a context where the audience might be used to it being a really hosed up thing to say.

This and what Burn After Reading said is what I was trying to say (but in a much more eloquent and explained way). Its still a terrible thing to say, and I hardly ever use it except when this very discussion comes up. I do not endorse going around saying spastic or spaz. It is hurtful, but humanity is complex, so its good to err on the side of respectfulness.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I have never seen this show, so I can't comment. But Twitter is roasting this lady.
https://twitter.com/bornferal/status/1495243427604140032

Baron von Eevl posted:

Using "spaz" innocently, as a compliment.

"Hyper kids can have a little slur, as a treat."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have never seen this show, so I can't comment. But Twitter is roasting this lady.

Pinned tweet made me laugh when combined with that one. Can someone be canceled for not giving respect to Ted Lasso? I hope so!

https://twitter.com/bornferal/status/1212827540055740417?s=20&t=cDV7Rmw7CoOdHZW71zb5Fg

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

"Hyper kids can have a little slur, as a treat."

I like the show Ted Lasso, but the character himself very much has an "Adult who goes to Disneyland without kids" vibe.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I know people don’t like the obsessive weirdos but if you seriously care whether an adult goes to Disney land or not you should take a hard look at yourself because you might be to online

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

It’s just the weirdos, but that’s basically anyone who identifies as an adult Disney fan. Like some people just won’t stfu about how many times they’ve been and how they know all the secret tricks and have been to the fancy sit down restaurant or whatever. It’s like a hardcore fan of anything else but it’s even harder to pretend to give a poo poo about Splash Mountain than about Marvel movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, like, I don't care about people liking Insane Clown Posse, if they go to those Juggalo cons, more power to them. If they wear Juggalo makeup to the grocery store though...

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I was just talking about how similar Good Day by Greg Street sounds to Homies by ICP, and I guess my phone heard it because now Amazon is suggesting cases of faygo

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Is that woman supposed to be the idiot? Adult Disney/Marvel fans can get pretty aggro in people’s mentions if they don’t like something, and I can see it happening with Ted Lasso fans too. A lot of shows attempting to be positive get weirdly aggressive fans.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

people love to fight

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CharlestheHammer posted:

Goons dying on the hill of using a word I haven’t heard since I was a kid (and even then pretty rarely) is never not funny
It's loving insane to see the same posters who would shake their heads at the ignorance and selfishness of people defending slurs in any other context, but then as soon as it's a word they used they fall over themselves to call it harmless. Just a typical barrage of "I don't mean offense by it... so if you think it's negative, I think that says more about you than me!" or "Even if it originated as a way to mock people this group, and that group says it's offensive, that's not how I use it! I just use it to negatively describe things with traits similar to that group!"
The thread talks nonstop about how people should just stop digging and admit when they're wrong, or they were ignorant about a topic, and listen to people who know better than they do about it, but thankfully that only applies to other people.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Is that woman supposed to be the idiot? Adult Disney/Marvel fans can get pretty aggro in people’s mentions if they don’t like something, and I can see it happening with Ted Lasso fans too. A lot of shows attempting to be positive get weirdly aggressive fans.

If you think they’re bad on social media. My sister is one and her birthday parties are just Disney board games and watching a Disney movie. She’s a grown adult woman and so is everyone in the family. “Come celebrate my birthday by feeling your soul die to Frozen 2 Monopoly once again!”

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

It's loving insane to see the same posters who would shake their heads at the ignorance and selfishness of people defending slurs in any other context, but then as soon as it's a word they used they fall over themselves to call it harmless. Just a typical barrage of "I don't mean offense by it... so if you think it's negative, I think that says more about you than me!" or "Even if it originated as a way to mock people this group, and that group says it's offensive, that's not how I use it! I just use it to negatively describe things with traits similar to that group!"
The thread talks nonstop about how people should just stop digging and admit when they're wrong, or they were ignorant about a topic, and listen to people who know better than they do about it, but thankfully that only applies to other people.

it was one poster and they apologized on this page

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

I mean, this applies to fans of...literally anything. Marvel, K-pop, drag, reality shows, anime games, whatever.

hawowanlawow posted:

people love to fight

Goons in most threads:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I've heard way more people complain about Disney fans than I've heard from Disney fans.

Meanwhile Ted Lasso rules and is all about trying to be positive while the entire world is just stomping on you and how good vibes can be infectious.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

are you calling me a spaghetti man? wtf!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Push El Burrito posted:

I've heard way more people complain about Disney fans than I've heard from Disney fans.

Meanwhile Ted Lasso rules and is all about trying to be positive while the entire world is just stomping on you and how good vibes can be infectious.

Goons need to feel mad that people like things, and it will never not be tedious South Parkian bullshit.

(Also, as the one to originally bring up the word, I apologize to anyone that was hurt by me saying that the word was "inoffensive in the US"; that was ignorant of me and I'll strive to do better in the future.)

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
GRRRR ME LOVE TV SHOW YOU NO SAY BAD THING ABOUT IT IT ALL I HAVE!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Scratch Monkey posted:

GRRRR ME LOVE TV SHOW YOU NO SAY BAD THING ABOUT IT IT ALL I HAVE!

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

If you think they’re bad on social media. My sister is one and her birthday parties are just Disney board games and watching a Disney movie. She’s a grown adult woman and so is everyone in the family. “Come celebrate my birthday by feeling your soul die to Frozen 2 Monopoly once again!”

I'm so sorry.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe the only time I've not been pissed off at a "sorry if you're offended" type apology

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
The Spanish word negro definitely isn't pronounced "nay-gro" though.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Cowards, dont delete your whole bird account leave it up with one line "I didnt know it was a country."

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Vitruvian Manic posted:

in the UK spastic is deeply offensive and oval office isn't

I don’t know what part of the UK you’re from, but where I live, saying oval office is still deeply offensive

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

The Spanish word negro definitely isn't pronounced "nay-gro" though.

It's a pretty good approximation to me. How would you pronounce it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
Well it makes sense to feel compelled to post when you think someone is wrong for any reason on the internet. Clarification is a natural reaction, especially when there is misinformation that is emotionally charged.

Humans gonna human.