Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Lost Judgement: Yakuza games often have a problem where there are random encounters that don’t serve any purpose because there’s a chance you get some yen or a consumable. Lost Judgement fixes this issue by making random encounters give the usual lovely amount of experience and then a potentially huge bonus based on stuff like if you used all three of the fighting styles to KO an enemy, playing efficiently and generally just experimenting and using as much of your options as possible.

Also the combat’s been tweaked to flow better in general, so it’s one of the only times playing a Yakuza where I’ve been actively seeking enemies out to fight that wasn’t the 0’s “enemies bleed money” or Yakuza 2 Kiwami’s “eat food for stat experience, burn the calories beating up goons” systems.

Snake Style is such a great addition to the games and the final boss fights are the first time in the series I felt I was fighting tactically instead of just going all out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

heckyeahpathy posted:

In an early Horizon Forbidden West quest, you do a favor for a chef who cooks you a big meal afterward, and the camera staging and vibe of the whole scene is a very clear homage to Monster Hunter's cooking scenes, just toned down a bit to match the world. Put a big grin on my face.

Some of the food buffs are super OP as well, definitely helps to have some around.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You can get keyboard/controller mashups, but I don't know how good they work.

I like the idea of the variable movement control you can only get with a stick while still letting you look around and aim with a mouse.

The specs on the razer website says it's an 8-directional controller, which kind of defeats the purpose of a controller. 8 directions just isn't good enough. I want really fine adjustments, on the level of a proper DS4/Xbox controller left stick.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Len posted:

But then you get people who talk about how they can't use a stick at all. Twin sticks have been a thing since the PS1 how have you not figured it out yet?

Then there's those heathens that use inverted camera controls. :argh:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Inverted Yers I can somewhat understand if they grew up playing flight sims, gyro aimers are whiny but ultimately harmless. Inverted Xers though... truly insane.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Invert both axes for joystick camera control. X axis inversion logically follows from the perfectly logical Y axis inversion.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I remember reading in passing about a new controller, probably 15 years ago, that was gonna use a trackball for aiming instead of a stick. Supposedly it was way more accurate, and intuitive to use. Then I forgot all about it and never gave it another thought until this derail.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

RillAkBea posted:

Then there's those heathens that use uninverted camera controls. :argh:

Fixed it for you.

But really the only bad control settings / keybindings are the default ones. You should always customize that stuff before playing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You can get keyboard/controller mashups, but I don't know how good they work.

I like the idea of the variable movement control you can only get with a stick while still letting you look around and aim with a mouse.

Yeah, I've always wondered if there's a good stick/mouse combination. Those aren't quite what I pictured, I like mouse aiming but I just can't bring myself to use keyboard layouts with my left hand any more in comparison to a controller. It's kind of a moot point for the games in discussion though, since their gyro aiming feels good enough that I don't really miss mouse aiming any more.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Inverted Yers I can somewhat understand if they grew up playing flight sims, gyro aimers are whiny but ultimately harmless. Inverted Xers though... truly insane.

I also do the look inversion and never really thought about it until now but that makes sense. I played a ton of flight sims growing up. I cannot for the life of me play a game where joystick up > look up

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I also do the look inversion and never really thought about it until now but that makes sense. I played a ton of flight sims growing up. I cannot for the life of me play a game where joystick up > look up

I have the same background with flight sims so I spent most of my life playing other games set that way, too. But a few years back my brain just decided literally overnight that it didn't like that, and now I can't stand it. I've never figured out why.
And the other weird thing is that the Splatoon controls are so embedded in my muscle memory that they're the one game that I still play inverted, backwards to everything else. Sometimes in the middle of a match, my brain will suddenly realize this and go "bwuh???" while I freeze and completely forget how the controls work for a few seconds :dumb:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
The real nut jobs are the ones that invert left/right look

Yeah I can never remember which is x and which is y shut up

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

The real nut jobs are the ones that invert left/right look

Yeah I can never remember which is x and which is y shut up

I hardly even see x-axis inversion as an option in anything but Japanese-made games. I wonder if it isn't like swapping X and O on the PS controller, in that it was the norm for so long they left it as an option for Japanese gamers.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The Lone Badger posted:

The correct way to aim is of course kb+m.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I don't always do it, but I think because I learned to use a camera on a tripod long before dual stick gaming controllers were a thing, I can do it pretty easily. I just treat it like it's a knob on the back of a real object and in that case to pan left, you have to push right.

The strange thing for me is I can never predict which games will cause my brain to prefer that kind of camera control. Always invert Y though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

madeintaipei posted:

I wonder if it isn't like swapping X and O on the PS controller, in that it was the norm for so long they left it as an option for Japanese gamers.

:stare:
I don't think I've heard that before, it sheds an interesting light on Nintendo seemingly being backwards compared to the other big two in regards to confirm/cancel button usage.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't think I've heard that before, it sheds an interesting light on Nintendo seemingly being backwards compared to the other big two in regards to confirm/cancel button usage.

Nintendo did it first so it's the others who are backwards!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

credburn posted:

At least it's not marked* by bird poo poo like in Tomb Raider :mad:

*demarcated?

pretty sure you can turn that off in the settings.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

It makes a lot of sense, for the playstation instead of " x marks the spot" it was "circle means yes, x means no"

I think one of the Metal Gear Solid games had a default circle-as-confirm control scheme, but then you could change it to a western-style control scheme. I remember learning about it because i was cussing out having to press confirm stuff when that button is usually the back button for most game menus I played

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sally posted:

pretty sure you can turn that off in the settings.

At least in the latest one, yeah

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

thecluckmeme posted:

It makes a lot of sense, for the playstation instead of " x marks the spot" it was "circle means yes, x means no"

I think one of the Metal Gear Solid games had a default circle-as-confirm control scheme, but then you could change it to a western-style control scheme. I remember learning about it because i was cussing out having to press confirm stuff when that button is usually the back button for most game menus I played

I was working in Game in the UK when Metal Gear Solid 2 came out, and we did a midnight release for it. Just as we were closing, this geezer came bowling back in angry as you like, shouting about how it's ridiculous to sell a faulty copy and we've wasted his night and we need to fix it right now. We loaded it up on the demo PS2, and that was when we found out that he was only pressing X to try and go on from the start screen, and therefore just cycling through the menu constantly. He hadn't even tried other buttons.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Funnily enough, Sony themselves also recently did away with that old chestnut. X is now confirm by default even on the Japanese PS5. The PS4 (in multilang territories) and 5 also were given a top level menu option to swap x and o both in and out of games. For some like Bloodborne iirc it'll even properly swap the game's UI for you.

Edit: in a way I'm saddened! The old circle to confirm, cross to cancel out thing was one of the few remaining of gaming's original control design decisions, aside from I guess the decision to use the letters ABXYZ.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Feb 21, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Bottom button to confirm just feels right imo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Circle is closer to your optimal resting thumb position

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Outside of Sony titles I believe triangle became the designated back/cancel button, maybe even due to that regional difference leaving only square and triangle universal. Tony Hawk and the EA games of the PS1/early 2 era did off the top of my head.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

CJacobs posted:

Outside of Sony titles I believe triangle became the designated back/cancel button, maybe even due to that regional difference leaving only square and triangle universal. Tony Hawk and the EA games of the PS1/early 2 era did off the top of my head.

Yeah, it's really odd to hear people say that the West had X = confirm & O = back, when my experience was that is was triangle for back/Cancel for pretty much every game on the PSX and PS2, with only the PS3 starting the circle for cancel as an actual thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gaius Marius posted:

I didn't understand how big of a difference this little distance was until I decided I didn't like Nioh's dodge button on X and swapped it with O. This means you have to hold down X for a few seconds to pick up items and after a while your god damned thumb will be red if you're used to the other way

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Gaius Marius posted:

What? How?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My thumb always has, and always will, rest on X :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As long as we can agree that advocates of the crab claw are insane people and not to be trusted with finances and property

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Crab claw people are definitely not to be trusted

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
The claw sucks, but it can be necessary if developers don't understand how to design a good control scheme.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hel posted:

What? How?

What. Are you doing? Do you roll that thumb around to press buttons?

Oh, gently caress! Have I been doing it wrong this whole time?!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Thats a dusty arse gamepad.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The claw is good if your hands are unsettling bouquets of wiry spider digits

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This is the place that should be hitting the button

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whereas this is a clean arse gamepad

https://twitter.com/RetroVidGaming/status/1495464695683244035?s=20&t=I0X0-2MZfKcpyzXX0Cg9nA

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

madeintaipei posted:

What. Are you doing? Do you roll that thumb around to press buttons?

Oh, gently caress! Have I been doing it wrong this whole time?!

Yeah, you just park your thumb on the frame in the middle of the face buttons and roll it around, makes it easy to to single or multiple presses. It's also why the Playstation's split D-Pad is so great, because it means you can do the same with your left hand. This thumb style also made the PS2s pressure sensitive buttons not a problem( for the few games that used it), since it just meant rolling more to center of the button for more pressure.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Thats a dusty arse gamepad.

Sorry, dug it out of a drawer just for the picture. The rubber has turned into that sticky stuff that just grabs all the dust.

Gaius Marius posted:

WTF? how the hell do you press buttons like that?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Was? This is like people telling me I've been wiping arsch wrong this whole zeit.

Verdammt, kon' Ich nicht English speaking. Er war confused maked.

Send hilfe, por favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hel posted:

Yeah, you just park your thumb on the frame in the middle of the face buttons and roll it around, makes it easy to to single or multiple presses. It's also why the Playstation's split D-Pad is so great, because it means you can do the same with your left hand. This thumb style also made the PS2s pressure sensitive buttons not a problem( for the few games that used it), since it just meant rolling more to center of the button for more pressure.

Sorry, dug it out of a drawer just for the picture. The rubber has turned into that sticky stuff that just grabs all the dust.

WTF? how the hell do you press buttons like that?

Okay. I think I'm good now. Let me try that.

Denatured alcohol and plenty of stout paper towels will get rid of the stickiness, IME. Also, magic eraser for tough spots.