Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I like all the different ways everyone says “daddy” on the show. Jesse says “dehddy” whereas Junior is more like “diddy”. And BJ’s is just disturbing to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

wizardofloneliness posted:

I like all the different ways everyone says “daddy” on the show. Jesse says “dehddy” whereas Junior is more like “diddy”. And BJ’s is just disturbing to hear.

Kelvin/Adam Devine definitely does the 'dehddy', really well.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I'm also going to vote it's a southern thing. As a west coaster I wouldn't say it's common, certainly not from a son.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Civilized Fishbot posted:

In my experience, it's common among southerners of all races & socioeconomic strata.

As a southerner, In private, I could see the use of daddy maybe in times of extreme stress or grief. In otherwise normal, private situations, it's odd and infantile. Maybe the infantilism is the point though.

In public? It's not normal, and speaks to the very non-adult relationship the gemstone children have with their father.

I kept waiting for them to make a turn to the lord's prayer (our father) while eli was in the hospital. It would have been very on-brand for the weirdness and pedastool that eli gemstone is on in this show from the children perspective.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

it's just a southern thing

edit: as also a southerner, I wouldn't say its "normal," but it's not abnormal either. and not necessarily the marker of some adult child/parent infantile/dysfunctional relationship (though it obviously absolutely is in the case of the Gemstones). it's probably a bit generational too, feel like it's much more common with people my parents age (boomers)

personally I was raised with "dad" but both my parents, aunts and uncles on both sides referred to their fathers as daddy their whole lives

Mandrel fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 21, 2022

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's some gender to it, too. My "daddy" became "dad" in middle school and "papa" when my kids came. But mama's still mama. I believe my grown, perfectly well-adjusted sister still says "mama" and "daddy."

My wife, too, come to think of it. Mama and Daddy.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 21, 2022

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!
Is it the finale this Sunday?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
All signs point to yes.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

9 episodes like season 1. Booooo! Why only 9?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

because episode 1 is always a double length, so its effectively 10 episodes

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

because episode 1 is always a double length, so its effectively 10 episodes

It was? I thought it was episodes 1 and 2 that aired on Sunday and Monday night, respectively, which would still give us 9 episodes total.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

1x01 run an hour
2x01 ran 50 minutes, so not quite double length but a good jumbo helping.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Runtimes are all over the shop. The price we pay for young John Goodman is less show.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I like that the runtimes are all over the place. Let them tell the story they want to tell.

HBO can do some dumb poo poo sometimes, but I will give them credit for letting Jody Hill and crew do whatever they want.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I hope next week's is extra long.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Jose Oquendo posted:

I like that the runtimes are all over the place. Let them tell the story they want to tell.

Amen. Regular rear end network tv telling you your episode must come in at 41minutes and 40 seconds because of all the ads they have to run leads to boring filler and lovely editing.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
you know I'm starting to suspect that Eli's explanation as to why he had so much blood on his pants was made up

don't think he actually killed anybody but there is probably more to the story

testifeye
Sep 24, 2004

maroon moon
Random theory: the hit men are linked to Gideon. Maybe it’s a thread from last season with his stunt men crew getting involved? The stunt men would likely have skills to ride and be all showy with their matching outfits/bikes… Gideon was super confident going after them for his family, which seemed like it could be a cover, if it was a set up.

I agree about the threads potentially linking Amber to the plot too, though.

I’m less excited about it being the Lissons, but everyone is show ridiculous in the show, can’t rule them out.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

JAMOOOL posted:

you know I'm starting to suspect that Eli's explanation as to why he had so much blood on his pants was made up

don't think he actually killed anybody but there is probably more to the story

I'm disappointed we did not get a succession of more and more outlandish stories about what went down that night.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

testifeye posted:

Random theory: the hit men are linked to Gideon. Maybe it’s a thread from last season with his stunt men crew getting involved? The stunt men would likely have skills to ride and be all showy with their matching outfits/bikes… Gideon was super confident going after them for his family, which seemed like it could be a cover, if it was a set up.

I agree about the threads potentially linking Amber to the plot too, though.

I’m less excited about it being the Lissons, but everyone is show ridiculous in the show, can’t rule them out.

Why would they bring back the conflict from season 1 when he made peace with his family? That would just be spinning it’s wheels doing the same plot line as season 1 with no build up.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yeah they're clearly the Lissons' troubled teens sent by the Lissons. I think one episode is a little late to introduce/reintroduce new players for the sake of a twist

edit: unless of course, the teens are being LED by the JONAS BROTHERS

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They didn't look like Jonas Brothers fans to me

It'd be funny if the lissons raised them but lost control ala Kelvin and his muscle men

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Baby Billy saying that his elixir cures COVID was just perfect.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Especially how the show is set in October 2022

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The motocross hitmen didn't appear until Eli cancelled the private plane flight to Israel. So my take is that a drug smuggling operation based around the Gemstone Salvation Center private jetplane got inadvertently disrupted and whoever running that op wants flights resumed so Eli must die asap.
or
The Satanist Goths really want Keefe back no matter the cost.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't think it's him but early on I felt like Martin might be doing Cool Extracurricular Stuff but then it turns out he's just a cool bro

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

moist turtleneck posted:

I don't think it's him but early on I felt like Martin might be doing Cool Extracurricular Stuff but then it turns out he's just a cool bro

Martin sitting in Eli's chair when we're first introduced to him shows his true desire for power, and he won't stop at any cost to get it. He was the one who convinced Glendon to go to the compound with him, just things went terribly wrong. Slowly but surely, he's been assembling his army to take what he believes is rightfully his!

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

its the jim henson accountant

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

its the jim henson accountant

He truly is the puppet master

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

quantumfoam posted:

The Satanist Goths really want Queef back no matter the cost.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

i loved this.

just came to see if this thread exists because this show is wild lol, time to catch up on posts!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Also, even if Eli had somehow had enough influence to keep the violent murder of a journalist local, an explosive jailbreak in the United States is going to call down state and federal fury and attention like nothing else.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the problem is Martin already has all the power, he doesn't really have anything to gain

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm watching Alien: Covenant for the first time right now, after I learned Danny McBride was in it.

I'm now calling it Alien Vs Powers

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm watching Alien: Covenant for the first time right now, after I learned Danny McBride was in it.

Goggins was in Predators. Now we just need another crossover...directed by Jody Hill..

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Wonder if that was an improv given as far as I recall there hasn't been mention of it otherwise.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

The World Inferno posted:

Wonder if that was an improv given as far as I recall there hasn't been mention of it otherwise.

It hasn't been mentioned directly, but there was a picture earlier in the season of Judy and Jesse protesting, Judy's sign said "gently caress masks".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

A real weird Danny McBride thing is that he was a writer on the recent Halloween movie revamps.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I just knocked out S1 of Vice Principals for the first time over the last two nights. I love how the kids don't even blink at the poo poo that comes out of McBride and Goggins' mouths. I get why the Gemstones and Kenny Powers get away with being monsters, but im at a loss at how the VPs aren't laughed out of the room everyday lol. I love it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
season 2 of VP is even better and is Edi Patterson's first starring role in a McBride show, you see exactly where Judy's coming from