Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

First person view is still a thing dragging that game down, I eventually didn't care about decking myself out in weird outfits because you mostly just see them in the menu.

Agreed. If it had third person/first person switchable it'd be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Borderlands 3: I've enabled events, and an event with the ghosts possesing enemies is now on. Initially it was very fun - the ghosts are fast and provide an additional challenge, but also drop loot, which is always appreciated. Then after collecting some hecktoplasm I was tasked into coming into Heck, through a heckhole - and I did so.

However, there is a semi-new mechanic here, with bizzarre implementation. Namely, there are Shield Phylacteries, which provide shielding to a particular enemy until you destroy the phylacteries, and throughout the fight with the boss of the area he gains one, too. Now, two things about that:
1) the shield's bubble depends on the enemy's size, and the boss is a big boy - so he can shield other enemies, and even the phylacteries themselves,
2) the phylacteries have a massive health pool, and are the most durable enemies so far. They have multiple times the energy of the boss itself - and the shielding is provided multiple times throughout the fight.
3) the phylacteries have a massive AoE attack which you must jump over, adding another wrinkle

So you end up easily depleting the boss' HP to a certian level, shield are engaged and then it's time to run around the arena, avoiding the boss, multiple other enemies and to plink away at the shield generators. Even worse, there is a massive hole in the middle of the arena - and if you fall in, you lose and are reset to the nearest New-U station.

The reskininng of the Maliwan troops and the Prothea maps didn't bother me much, but this inflated HP of single enemy is baffling - everything else is fine, but that makes little sense.

So I went back to the main story and shelved the mission for later, or maybe never;) I'll do it at one point, since the ghost will become tiresome someday - but not yet.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Szurumbur posted:

The reskininng of the Maliwan troops and the Prothea maps didn't bother me much, but this inflated HP of single enemy is baffling - everything else is fine, but that makes little sense.

His HP was buffed because players would just delete him in seconds and just use a corrosive element gun on the phylacteries.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Taeke posted:

So does Horizon Forbidden West not have the whistle lure anymore? Because I can't find it in the skill tree (maybe I'm missing it but it shouldn't be locked away anyway) and throwing rocks is just an unnecessarily annying way to achieve the same result.

Loving the game other than that though.

They got rid of the lure whistle because it was too OP, also nerfed trap stacking and the ropecaster. My old Horizon Zero Dawn tricks aren't working anymore so I've had to resort to new tactics, like for example parachuting on top of the one guy you actually need to kill to capture the rebel camps, haha.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Everytime a robot in Horizon 2 does a lunge attack, which is most times, I have to brace myself for the very real possibility that it will clip through the ground or freeze in midair or just keep on soaring out of the game world. I don't remember how the first game was at launch, but goddamn I am running into so many bugs with regards to enemies.

When it is working properly though, the thing dragging the game down is that I got so used to that button in Monster Hunter that instantly turns your camera to face the monster and not having it in a game that feels very Monster Hunter at times is messing me up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Crowetron posted:

Everytime a robot in Horizon 2 does a lunge attack, which is most times, I have to brace myself for the very real possibility that it will clip through the ground or freeze in midair or just keep on soaring out of the game world. I don't remember how the first game was at launch, but goddamn I am running into so many bugs with regards to enemies.

Man that's wild. I played it for a three day weekend and the only major glitches I've seen have been a few quick cuts to black in the middle of a scene and two randos popping out of existence in a cutscene. Nothing at all like that.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man that's wild. I played it for a three day weekend and the only major glitches I've seen have been a few quick cuts to black in the middle of a scene and two randos popping out of existence in a cutscene. Nothing at all like that.

My friends have also only run into really minor stuff like that so I think I'm just getting unlucky.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Elden Ring:

It's not out yet.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m torn between buying Elden Ring day of release or waiting till I can get a next gen console. I’m sure it’ll be good on PS4 but I’m afraid I’ll miss out on it being great on ps5. The experience is still there but it’s lacking, like only having one testicle

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

oldpainless posted:

I’m torn between buying Elden Ring day of release or waiting till I can get a next gen console. I’m sure it’ll be good on PS4 but I’m afraid I’ll miss out on it being great on ps5. The experience is still there but it’s lacking, like only having one testicle

The thing that tipped me over into getting it now was the argument that release is basically the best time to play a Soulsborne game. There aren't going to be any guides on what to do, no meta builds will exist, and the multiplayer is going to be super active (if you're into that sort of thing).

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Gotta play Elden Ring at release to have the highest density of hilarious "Huge Chest Ahead" jokes dropped on every female NPC

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kazil posted:

Gotta play Elden Ring at release to have the highest density of hilarious "Huge Chest Ahead" jokes dropped on every female NPC

Not "try but hole" smh

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

try tongue but hole

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Enjoy waiting 4 minutes for the game to load every time you teleport from a bonfire since you're playing it on launch day.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I rarely buy any games on launch day due to inevitable bugs and also if I wait I know I can save some decent money. Last game I pre-ordered I think was RE2make and that one was worth it. Most everything else can usually wait til they get the poo poo ironed out and the price drops. I have a bunch of older games I still haven't come close to beating.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Guardians of the Galaxy has instafail QTEs in it. I wouldn't necessarily mind but there's only been two in the first four hours and the rarity means both caught me by surprise. Worse, they're timing based so you can't just jam the button when you see them.

At least you can disable them completely in accessibility.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm mostly okay with QTEs in general, but I hate instafail ones. I think it was Yakuza Kiwami 2 (and the original, I assume?) that has a surprise instafail QTE at the end of working through the final boss's crazy number of health bars. I'm fine with them for attacks and some damage avoidance, but that's just pure BS.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm mostly okay with QTEs in general, but I hate instafail ones. I think it was Yakuza Kiwami 2 (and the original, I assume?) that has a surprise instafail QTE at the end of working through the final boss's crazy number of health bars. I'm fine with them for attacks and some damage avoidance, but that's just pure BS.

I like the QTEs in The force Unleashed because they are really fluid - every time you fail a button prompt for the boss finale, it's just you and the boss kind of flailing back and forth, so maybe the expected motions for the characters are boss throws boulder, Starkiller dodges it, grabs boss, throws saber, slams boss into floor. If you fail the grab, instead of failing and you dying the boss just dodges the force grab and throws another boulder, and you dodge THAT with the same prompt and continue from there. It's really satisfying because it feels really epic, two powerful force users grappling with all the tricks they've learned and getting one over on each other move by move like a chess match.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I really loved that Everquest game that was on the PS2... it was a kind of Diablo-like. It was the first time I ever played online on a console; I didn't have a keyboard, so I would swing my sword for "yes" and roll or something for "no" and somehow me and this stranger ended up having a long conversation -- okay, so anyway, the one thing that wrecked that game was the underwater level. Because it was just like any other level but slowed down 40% or something. That's it. Everything was just goddamn slower.

Anecdotally, I've recently started dancing at clubs and I'm pretty okay if I'm just by myself, but the moment I try dancing with someone else I just end up colliding with them and stepping on them and I realize it is because I've been trained to react to QTEs that aren't appearing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Was excited to find a mobility scooter in Cyberpunk 2077 then extremely disappointed to find out I couldn't ride it around Night City. So I guess what's dragging the game down is that it isn't as goofy as Saints Row.

Yeah I get they were trying to do a serious RPG-type thing but honestly, all the work they did just seemed to result in a less-good Saints Row.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

kazil posted:

Gotta race to be the first to drop all the "Don't give up, Skeleton!" messages near the skeletons.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah I get they were trying to do a serious RPG-type thing but honestly, all the work they did just seemed to result in a less-good Saints Row.

A game being too self-serious can be an issue in and of its self. Like Cyberpunk took its world so seriously, it came across as being really two dimensional because you couldn't interact with most of it, the entire world was basically just an aesthetic prop to make the game look cool and so for all the, well, cyberpunk stylings you spend most of it just driving through the streets, then getting out of your car to go be a cop and/or kill poor people for money.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The combat in Lost Judgment is way better than the first one but two small things bug me.

They have chase missions throughout the story and side missions and it looks like the main character, Yagami, is working way harder than whoever he's chasing and it should be at most 8 seconds before he catches up and tackles them. But instead they just rubberband ahead of you if you get too close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tflVViytOLw&t=266s

The second issue is that they put everyone on a filter if they're on a phone like they're using something from the 1980s or a walkie talkie or something. The game takes place in 2022, they should be perfectly clear. At one point in the game you hide small speakers in a room and talk through those and your voice comes through crystal clear in comparison. It's really weird.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

RareAcumen posted:

They have chase missions throughout the story and side missions and it looks like the main character, Yagami, is working way harder than whoever he's chasing and it should be at most 8 seconds before he catches up and tackles them. But instead they just rubberband ahead of you if you get too close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tflVViytOLw&t=266s

Oh man it's like running in a dream. Also there's so much room everywhere and Yagami just chooses to run into obstacles just so he can QTE them. A+

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Necrothatcher posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy has instafail QTEs in it. I wouldn't necessarily mind but there's only been two in the first four hours and the rarity means both caught me by surprise. Worse, they're timing based so you can't just jam the button when you see them.

At least you can disable them completely in accessibility.

Those were the worst. I was never sure if i was supposed to hit the button as quickly as possible, when its in the right spot or if i have to mash it. I think there were all three kinds of QTE in it and the UI did not communicate what to do very well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm delaying buying Elden Ring because I need to find out if the thing dragging Dark Souls 3 down is there, and that pure magic is terrible.

I've learned I just don't like Dark Souls melee combat, so I'll only enjoy it if a straight magic build is good. But I can't assume it will be until it comes out, because straight magic can be completely destroyed by something like 'some later areas have jacked-up magic resist across the board for no reason'.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The worst water level in the world is the second Key dungeon in Mega Man Legends 2 - it’s loving huge, you move impossibly slowly, your jet skates don’t work underwater (and iirc you can only make the aqua skates after visiting the dungeon once, although it’s still considerably slower than moving on land.)

It’s a real shame because the rest of the game is so great (and even that dungeon has some really cool and memorable areas) but I’m probably never going to replay it just because of that drat water level.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Cleretic posted:

I'm delaying buying Elden Ring because I need to find out if the thing dragging Dark Souls 3 down is there, and that pure magic is terrible.

I've learned I just don't like Dark Souls melee combat, so I'll only enjoy it if a straight magic build is good. But I can't assume it will be until it comes out, because straight magic can be completely destroyed by something like 'some later areas have jacked-up magic resist across the board for no reason'.

From makes some amazing games but they aren't perfect and the thing dragging them down are fanboys that deflect all criticism with "git gud"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

kazil posted:

From makes some amazing games but they aren't perfect and the thing dragging them down are fanboys that deflect all criticism with "git gud"

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how gud I git if I'm up against a boss that tanks the hell out of the one damage type I have.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

kazil posted:

love the games, learned I hate discussing them with 80% of the other people who do because of this.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And you just know 80% of those just post "git gud" because it's the Dark Souls meme and just what you do even if you never made it beyond Undead Burg yourself, too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

At least they talk to you. Half the people I bring up Dark Souls to seem to be in a conversation with themselves and then they start laughing about something. 'Ah, Git Gud. It's been a while since I've last talked with Arthur and Adorjan hasn't it?' Like, who is anyone in this conversation?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Cleretic posted:

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how gud I git if I'm up against a boss that tanks the hell out of the one damage type I have.
Gitting gud means realizing that you might want to invest into another damage type hth

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Simply Simon posted:

Gitting gud means realizing that you might want to invest into another damage type hth

I really hate to add more power to "Dark Souls talk makes people crazy" but it is 100% on you if you don't try something else.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I've not played the DS3 dlc as a sorcerer but it's not remotely a problem for the base game. There's also more than one school of magic even if a int build is worse at the split ones.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Simply Simon posted:

So, specifically two different bosses in Dark Souls 3 hosed me on this. This worked for one, but not the other.

Aldrich has an unfair amount of magic defense, but is decently weak to fire, both in terms of 'takes a lot of damage' and in 'is a prime target for pyromancy' because he's big and slow. Pyromancy's a pretty welcome sidearm for most any build, since it only asks for souls and not stats, but it's especially welcome for magic-users since their builds already jack up Attunement, so this wasn't too bad even though it was still annoying to get hit by 'this boss takes barely any damage from your main thing solely because we decided he didn't, gently caress you'.

Second, though, was Oceiros. Not only does Oceiros have jacked-up magic resist, he also has jacked-up fire resist, and is jumpy and dodgy as hell, so not only is he taking less damage from all this, he's also way harder to hit, which is a problem when you need to land a good chunk more hits than usual and only have so much ammo. The gently caress kind of sidearm am I expected to go for this time, given how late in the game this is? I don't exactly have the stat capacity to go off and suddenly become really good with a scimitar.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:09 on Feb 23, 2022

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Use a raw weapon and buff it with carthus beacon, or try dark, or don't kill Oceiros because he's optional

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
FromSoft has never been great at balancing the magic systems in the Soulslike games. They've pretty consistently been either extremely overpowered, or just completely useless. I'm not a huge fan of casting in the games themselves, but the state of Dark Souls 3 casting was pretty drat dire. Sometimes it feels like they design games like some indie roguelike devs do, where they've slowly started catering to the loudest people demanding even more difficulty.

I'm probably getting Elden Ring anyways, but I remain mildly worried that they're continuing to push the difficulty beyond stuff like the Dark Souls 3 DLC and Sekiro.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

His HP was buffed because players would just delete him in seconds and just use a corrosive element gun on the phylacteries.

The one enemy I meant was the shield generator:) - its HP seem higher than the boss', and that's just not right. I run around, kicking rear end and killing multiple enemies - for a few seconds of downtime in which to stand nearby the things to shoot shoot shoot them.

And the quest scales to my level, which I discovered by trying to outlevel it;) oh well, back to trying to find a good corrosive type gun - my corrossive Iron Bear flamethrower doesn't seem to cut it, and so far it wasn't really important.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dark Souls 3 felt cargo-culty in a way.

It had all these swamp levels where you move like poo poo, but there's no wooden ring to counter the swamp's effects.

Magic was still around but nerfed to oblivion.

The Sister Friede fight takes the piss with the boss defeat fakeout they've done so many times.

Just so many returning elements that shopuld have either been fleshed out or removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just want sword and board to be viable, I am not here to roll all over the fuckin place. I want to methodically manage my stamina and timing to drop a zweihander onto an enemies head because if I'm supposed to be doing long combos and dodges I could play a character action game thats actually good.