Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

PyRosflam posted:

Don't forget pilots NEED so many flights and hours per year to maintain ratings. I think flight attendants have some requirements as well. Not flying at all means all these people fall out of the system and need to be recertified because there is no waver process in place in event all air travel stops for amount of time. Most of the time our systems are built with 0 Slack and everyone assumed demand would come back.

Wavers only happen because the public notices something.

Waivers only happen if the government agrees.

DOT knew and airlines did ask for waivers: https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-spirit-rejected-by-dot-on-nearly-all-bailout-waiver-requests/ (sorry for a TPG link lol)

But they played politics and preferred legacies to fly empty planes instead of just be not-monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
So my status is about to expire with AA and they've send me an offer to retain status for 40k miles. Kinda tempted to take it since I never use my award miles even though it's a dumb idea.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
It’s probably an irrational choice but we live in an age where people buy cosmetic micro transactions so if it makes you happy

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’m not that into breakfast, so the Hilton Diamond free voucher never interested me much.

Now that it’s just $15 of pantry credit every single night, I have enough Kit-Kats stuffed in my luggage to be the “full size candy bar house” on Halloween.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

All my statuses gone

Well well well if it's not my first business travel since Feb 2020, flying in economy back to Covid Island for a conference.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I love breakfast and it's probably the #1 qualifier in business hotels when I have a choice. I pity the fools that choose a hotel with no included breakfast for status or otherwise, and they use their per diem for it or go without.

I find people that are 'not that into' breakfast fascinating and would like to study them / their mornings. Together with the guys that wake up at ~5AM to do a full workout at the hotel gym consistently every day, back in pre-plague when we all traveled a lot. Though, I would love to have the willpower to be that person.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Inner Light posted:

I find people that are 'not that into' breakfast fascinating and would like to study them / their mornings. Together with the guys that wake up at ~5AM to do a full workout at the hotel gym consistently every day, back in pre-plague when we all traveled a lot. Though, I would love to have the willpower to be that person.

I never eat breakfast and wake up at 5am to work out every day. AMA.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i like breakfast

most hotel breakfast sucks

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Inner Light posted:

I’m “not that into” categorically-breakfast foods. I want lunch foods for my first meal of the day, and I live a life conducive to sleeping in until I can buy a non-egg burrito.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Oh man a good hotel breakfast absolutely rules but that's a holiday thing rather than a business trip thing.

The best and possibly only good thing about jet lag is I get to be one of the early riser weirdos for a few days and go running at 5am.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I never eat breakfast and wake up at 5am to work out every day. AMA.

Heresy!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Inner Light posted:

I love breakfast and it's probably the #1 qualifier in business hotels when I have a choice. I pity the fools that choose a hotel with no included breakfast for status or otherwise, and they use their per diem for it or go without.

I like breakfast food but I like sleeping till noon more.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Inner Light posted:

When I travel for business, I almost never eat breakfast. My first meal of the day is usually at noon Pacific, which means I never wake up hungry on the East Coast. In addition, my business travel is almost all conferences which provide breakfast or at least coffee as part of networking sessions or whatever.

Like I had free breakfast due to Hyatt Globalist status at the HR Orlando this month and used the benefit once.

Now if it's a vacation, I'll happily eat their breakfast if it's good, but I also love sleeping in on my own time so I end up missing that

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Free breakfast usually sucks at hotels, sorry.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

sellouts posted:

Free breakfast usually sucks at hotels, sorry.

I have 2 or 3 hotels that do Omelets free, as an old military guy this is a guilty pleasure. Omelets were the only thing we could get fresh and everything else was boiled bags.

5 AM workouts are just evil evil things. I like workouts after work instead.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

after work there's always a lot of antics around dinners and such so I find doing it early is best

at home I'm usually an after-work workout guy or maybe midday

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aaaah gently caress BA, I needed to change my flight time but the website was unavailable for a "system upgrade" and then it took an hour to speak to anyone, after which they wouldn't change the flight and I had to get my EA to speak to Amex to change the flight.

I flew Swiss in the end.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
BA is an exercise in masochism that masquerades as an airline.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My BA flight home is cancelled in a "definitely not a cyberattack" cyberattack. I don't have lounge access any more so am having to deal with the genpop in the Fortnums bar until I get a new flight.

Pray for me

Update: still not managed to leave London

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 27, 2022

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

AA is doing away with their 500-mile upgrade program. Domestic upgrades are complimentary for all status levels.

Knowing how things work, this screws over people with status and without, I just haven’t figured out how yet. Ah well.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

tranten posted:

AA is doing away with their 500-mile upgrade program. Domestic upgrades are complimentary for all status levels.

Knowing how things work, this screws over people with status and without, I just haven’t figured out how yet. Ah well.

AA used to make some money from sticker sales, without that, I assume there is no barrier to following United's TOD lead.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

tranten posted:

Just got this e-mail as well. It almost makes me consider sticking with AA even though we live in Denver now.

But lol at connections with a newborn.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

tranten posted:

Seems bad for me as an EXP. Less likely to get upgraded with late bookings or late schedule changes, since more Gold/PLT will be pre-upgraded.

It probably makes life better for people to have a simpler system, but I guess it makes the things I learned about this dumb arcane system obsolete. Not to mention the $200 I spent last month to refill 500-mile stickers so I can upgrade a companion later this year. Oh well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why ever buy stickers until ~12 hours before your upgrade window opens?

Also how does this hurt exp?? Because you book last minute and they already give away upgrade space or something?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Lost AA EXP today, came up $750 and 14 EQS short. Now I’m a lowly Plat pro :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I really think EXP will be reduced sizably with loyalty points.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

sellouts posted:

Yeah, I think this is where they are heading. I made EXP on segments last year and am very unlikely to do so again under the new system based on the preliminary calculator they had at announcement.

I guess the info should (finally) show for the Loyalty points accrual tomorrow?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

sellouts posted:

I don't know, it might be the circles I maintain but I know a lot of people who rack up tons of AA miles but don't fly often enough to actually get high-level status under the normal system.

Anza Borrego posted:

I guess the info should (finally) show for the Loyalty points accrual tomorrow?

I would not be surprised if it took several days for the IT to catch up.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

I don't know, it might be the circles I maintain but I know a lot of people who rack up tons of AA miles but don't fly often enough to actually get high-level status under the normal system.up.

What’s the example here? I’m still Trying to wrap my head around the loyalty system beyond “what was 12k eqd is now 18k eqd if you’re already exec plat. Only now you can make up the difference in eqd with 11x credit card spend.

Like, I made a shitload of miles on my London runs before Omicron but my eqd was in the toilet due to low fares in F and J. Under loyalty points this would be even worse for me if I wasnt part of CK benefits.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sellouts posted:

Why ever buy stickers until ~12 hours before your upgrade window opens?

Also how does this hurt exp?? Because you book last minute and they already give away upgrade space or something?

1. Because I've done it before and haven't been burned, and didn't see this coming.

2. Yeah, potentially. I was answering the previous post specifically.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

at least on Delta (which works the way AA will work in the future) they hold inventory to pretty late

edit: if I book last minute as a True DM I get upgraded pretty much no matter what.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I agree and I think inventory is being held pretty late for upgrades but yeah I guess the seat or two that squeaks out to a lower status before a last minute booking or irrops would chap an exp’s rear end

I’m also just seeing a lot more purchased premium cabin. 2 of my upcoming 4 class international have F0, which is kind of wild. Maybe they’re doing equipment fuckery but the 773 is pretty standard to Lhr.

I was looking at a couple RTW tickets, I’m curious how that’ll break down for loyalty points and how the fare is divided up amongst the AA metal vs other carriers.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
going to Pax East and looking for recommendations for cocktails, food, nice hotel and happening spots in Boston. I've passed through a bunch (gently caress I-90 into the airport) but never stayed in the city or explored it.

Curious if I should stay near the convention center, downtown or on the waterfront and which of those areas has bars and shenanigans to be had. I'm single and early 30's if that helps frame it.

Im sitting on a mountain of Mariott and IHG points from my road days but not wed to them by any means. this is the first time i've traveled for personal reasons for some time so I'm willing to splurge a bit.

re: Airport logistics, is Boston like ATL where if you're staying in the city you can just take marta (or their equivalent)in and be cool? I've always rented a car and just left so I'm not sure if uber from the terminal or using the transport options is better.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Waroduce posted:

going to Pax East and looking for recommendations for cocktails, food, nice hotel and happening spots in Boston. I've passed through a bunch (gently caress I-90 into the airport) but never stayed in the city or explored it.

Curious if I should stay near the convention center, downtown or on the waterfront and which of those areas has bars and shenanigans to be had. I'm single and early 30's if that helps frame it.

Im sitting on a mountain of Mariott and IHG points from my road days but not wed to them by any means. this is the first time i've traveled for personal reasons for some time so I'm willing to splurge a bit.

re: Airport logistics, is Boston like ATL where if you're staying in the city you can just take marta (or their equivalent)in and be cool? I've always rented a car and just left so I'm not sure if uber from the terminal or using the transport options is better.

Don't stay near the convention center: unless things have changed significantly since my last conference there/I lived there, it's kind of an area devoid of pretty much any culture or anything interesting. Stay downtown-ish or in the back bay/newbury area if you can. Much more interesting outside of conference stuff. Iirc there's a fairmont close to the boston public library which is pretty nice.

Getting to/from the airport on public transportation is kind of a PITA because unless you're directly on the line that serves the airport (ie, the Silver Line/convention center), it involves at least 1, maybe 2 transfers. Uber is(was?) the way to go.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Waroduce posted:

seaport / Fort Point Channel is generally your vibe, I think. it's maybe just a bit younger (more like mid or late 20s) but there's a lot of bars and poo poo there now, which is weird. plenty of good hotels there.
downtown sucks and is boring.
back bay/south end is OK, though the hotels in the south end are by Ink Block which is dumb/bad so don't stay there.

cocktails: uhh lets see, lots of places have closed. Drink reopened, that's kind of the classic cocktail place. I don't really go out for cocktails anymore.
restaurants: there are a lot, if you stay in seaport / fort point there are lots of options for relatively high end dining

Taxi out of the airport, Uber in - at least at A, the taxi stand is very convenient and they're not appreciably more expensive

if you come to the LAN thread you will get more recommendations probably

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, back bay or Boston common would be the places to stay. North end for Italian food. There is a neat Marriott called the liberty (I think) that used to be an old prison. Newbury street has shops and small restaurants.

Iirc, if I didn’t have a ton of bags, I used to take the blue line to orange or green lines, but I like and at least used to be familiar with the MBTA.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you can basically walk around the whole joint if you want

The Liberty is pretty neat, it's just right by MGH which is kind of odd vibes in the neighborhood. I don't really know what hotels are good since I've mainly lived here.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sellouts posted:

I agree and I think inventory is being held pretty late for upgrades but yeah I guess the seat or two that squeaks out to a lower status before a last minute booking or irrops would chap an exp’s rear end

I’m also just seeing a lot more purchased premium cabin. 2 of my upcoming 4 class international have F0, which is kind of wild. Maybe they’re doing equipment fuckery but the 773 is pretty standard to Lhr.

In February, I booked SNA-DFW-MCO-DFW-SNA 3 days out and sat back in economy for every segment as EXP. Was it people buying purchased J, probably?

I'll probably start buying domestic F after I lose EXP next year, assuming the premium isn't too bad.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mandalay posted:

In February, I booked SNA-DFW-MCO-DFW-SNA 3 days out and sat back in economy for every segment as EXP. Was it people buying purchased J, probably?

I'll probably start buying domestic F after I lose EXP next year, assuming the premium isn't too bad.

Any route into/out of SNA is unlikely for upgrades unless it’s weird hours. Too many rich people actually paying for F.

I’ve also found DFW/MCO routes to be heavy with people paying for F or getting upgraded ahead of me as an EXP. Most of the time I’d get upgraded, but it would be the last F seat and I’d get it like 5 minutes into boarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Cacafuego posted:

Any route into/out of SNA is unlikely for upgrades unless it’s weird hours. Too many rich people actually paying for F.

I’ve also found DFW/MCO routes to be heavy with people paying for F or getting upgraded ahead of me as an EXP. Most of the time I’d get upgraded, but it would be the last F seat and I’d get it like 5 minutes into boarding.

Well, I live here and used to get upgraded more than 50% of the time!