Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Youtube bonus fight, Switchback v Slammo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEYcgFJ4xbE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Still not sure about Switchback. It feels like it needs a lot of work getting it to be more responsive and do what the driver wants. And I still don't know if it'll work as a concept.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It might do well with a lighter weapon so it can more effectively make use of its gimmick.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

ante posted:

I also like the Skorpios team although I was surprised and horrified that the captain/driver Zack guy is younger than me (he's like, 32)

This is blowing my mind, it's not just his looks, he seems like he has such dad energy. I had him pegged at mid-40s / 50ish.

Also this meme amused me

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Great Beer posted:

It might do well with a lighter weapon so it can more effectively make use of its gimmick.

Yeah. Switch out the drum for a set of wide blades like Skorpios and its type have.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
switchback needs something to keep it from tipping, like whatever sawblaze uses

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
The extreme force of such a beefy spinner on an arm seems like a great way to just break your own arm movement and/or minimize damage done to the enemy because the arm feels like it might absorb/deflect that hit vs a super fixed spin point.

It's just also really stiff and top heavy.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Conceptually, the idea behind Switchback is solid. Most drum spinners don't have any degree of range, you have to deliver main mass of the drum into what you want to attack. With Switchback you could potentially put much longer teeth on that weapon and even deliver damage straight down onto other bots. But the design is extremely complex, which means there is a lot that can go wrong. There's a reason Biteforce and Endgame are so successful, their designs have almost no frills.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
A problem with many bots with huge spinners is that they take a long time to spin up. A well driven and really aggressive bot can stay on them and keep them from ever really getting up to speed.

A cool design feature of Switchback, if it actually worked (it doesn't) is that they can keep the spinner away from the action until it's at speed, then drop it back into the fray.

I feel like that must have been the intention of Tantrum, but they don't seem to talk about it, and it's so small and buried deep that it seems ineffective.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Yeah, I like the idea a lot, but with a rookie team they were destined to fail this first season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Switchback still hasn't delivered a solid blow to anyone. I'm not sure the concept is proven yet. Seems like the ability of the arm to move makes the spinner bounce off the opponents.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ante posted:

A problem with many bots with huge spinners is that they take a long time to spin up. A well driven and really aggressive bot can stay on them and keep them from ever really getting up to speed.

A cool design feature of Switchback, if it actually worked (it doesn't) is that they can keep the spinner away from the action until it's at speed, then drop it back into the fray.

I feel like that must have been the intention of Tantrum, but they don't seem to talk about it, and it's so small and buried deep that it seems ineffective.

It sure as hell took some bites out of Lucky.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Ror posted:

This is blowing my mind, it's not just his looks, he seems like he has such dad energy. I had him pegged at mid-40s / 50ish.

Seriously, dude looks like Richard Herring. Not in a bad way, I just expect him to be reminding the Shredderator crew that International Men's Day actually does exist...

El Fideo fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 22, 2022

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
End Game v Sawblaze for the main fight. Current champion or not I'll be amazed if Sawblaze doesn't win it.

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1495730122544103426#m

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bertha the Toaster posted:

End Game v Sawblaze for the main fight. Current champion or not I'll be amazed if Sawblaze doesn't win it.

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/1495730122544103426#m

Goddamn, if End Game wins this, is there a credible threat in the playoffs? They made them do a hellacious fight card.

Not a lot left if they beat Sawblaze. Uppercut with a lucky blow? Some tank like Gruff or Rotator outlasting them in a slugfest?

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Captain shrederator goes three minutes without self destructing and smashes endgame while ping ponging off the glass.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Here's the entire fight card!

End Game vs. Saw Blaze does seem pretty huge, kind of suspect whoever wins will have the #1 seed and probably even a good chance they meet again in the tournament.

If Glitch's wheels work well they could be an interesting match for Hydra and that's assuming Hydra got their poo poo working correctly.

Malice being 0-2 going up against Blacksmith is a pretty tough draw most likely. Pretty hard bot to knockout and they really need to knock someone out to get in...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Gigabyte is gonna just get slung off Smeeeeeee like a jai alai ball

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Where the gently caress is Rusty? :mad:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Tombstone and Free Shipping have had fought each other countless times at Robogames the past, that could secretly be a good fight.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Captain Shredderator as a YouTube exclusive. Should be "fun".

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

oh jay posted:

$5 says it breaks down after like 2 hits.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

oh jay posted:

On the other hand it's going against a multibot, so if it doesn't break immediately we might see some half size robots get destroyed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Thoughts on the new ep

Really tough draw for Blacksmith looking to get into the tournament at 1-1. What a crazy fight. Blacksmith might just operate OK on fire forever.

Claw Viper surprisingly functional for 30 seconds.

Gigabyte executed really well. Smee never had a chance to control the fight at all, and they stayed away from the trap of going weapon-on-weapon near the walls, which would have had Gigabyte slamming all over the place. Only happened once.

It's too bad to see Hydra with all the gremlins this year. Aweome for the rookies, but I think you could tell it was mostly Hydra shutting down rather than getting broken.

Tombstone with no KOs this year. :sad:

omg I love Ribbot putting on P1 clothing. Ribbot really dominated, but it's funny they ended the fight jamming themselves into the killslots hardcore. If P1 hadn't been knocked out by that last hit, it would have sneaked away with a win.

Main Event: Welp.

At this point, I think the best chance for someone stopping End Game is in a rematch. Hydra might sneak into the tournament and fix their issues. Witch Doctor got something popped loose about halfway through their match; maybe in a rematch where they stay whole the entire time, they can win a slugfest. Sawblaze didn't even get a chance to put up a fight, so perhaps they could have won if they hadn't gotten very punished for their mistake.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Thoughts on the new ep

It's too bad to see Hydra with all the gremlins this year. Aweome for the rookies, but I think you could tell it was mostly Hydra shutting down rather than getting broken.

More thoughts on the new ep...

There was 100% the rookies beating & breaking Hydra. They drove right into Hydra when it was trying to flip to self right and they were able to get a perfect hit when the bot was in the air, that was a really well timed hit that hosed up half of Hydra's drive!

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 24, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

There was 100% the rookies beating & breaking Hydra. They drove right into Hydra when it was trying to flip to self right and they were able to get a perfect hit when the bot was in the air, that was a really well timed hit that hosed up half of Hydra's drive!

You got a broken spoiler tag in the quote there.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What on Blacksmith actually caught fire? The fire ran out of fuel at the end yet nothing stopped working

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Holy poo poo Glitch

Suck it Hydra

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
End Game don't give a single gently caress

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Lmao Sawblaze mother of own goals

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Hydra hit a seam in the floor and then started smoking lol, it definitely lost some of its drive right there. Straight up rolled a nat 1 when they had all the momentum.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
rip sawblaze hosed up big time. idk other than that horrific self-own sawblaze can probably still put up a decent fight in a rematch, we wouldn't know since they got vaulted out asap.

glitch is too wide but it's pretty cool and owning hydra is cool and fun

tombstone is probably dead this year, man the internal rework simply cannot take a beating at all. that's the risk when you try out new components though. maybe next year they can work more bugs out

blacksmith being a tank as usual (when the batteries don't explode, that is)

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Was pretty funny, Sawblaze and Endgame set to be a big fight and probably a setup for a rematch in the tournament. But endgame just shut it down in 20 seconds.

I guess all that's left at this point is to bring Biteforce out of hibernation and let them go at at it and see who wins.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Holy poo poo Glitch

Suck it Hydra

As a fan of the crazy wheels and their weird B2 aesthetic, this is exactly my take. What excellent execution. They earned all those hits and got their timing right.

Actually toward the end, I thought the driver was going to run into the edge, but they managed to get things to a stop again before impact. Considering they're so new that's pretty good, a lot of other bots would've just slid into that.

E: All these fights were great so far but it was great to see Ribbit and P1 dressed up as each other and the match was pretty exciting yet methodical with some good back and forth.

Gotta say I'm a big fan of the upper deck.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 25, 2022

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Glitch lucked the gently caress out. Should've stopped sooner. I was really worried them continually slamming into the already-lost hydra would've hosed their bot up cold, no movement at all and end up losing instead. they were already having slight movement issues

anyways gently caress off hydra

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Has anyone told the one Sawblaze dude that it's actually a weird move to wave a white flag the whole time?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

On the other hand, I really appreciate Jameson Go's "Choose your Fighter" energy.

And "We're in the Endgame now" was a good sequel to "Bring Me Tombstone"

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
The driving from Endgame has been consistently excellent since their win-streak started. All that extra practice they managed to get in back home this year has payed off massively.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pararoid posted:

The driving from Endgame has been consistently excellent since their win-streak started. All that extra practice they managed to get in back home this year has payed off massively.

Yeah for as anti-climactic as the Sawblaze fight ended up being, you probably aren't going to see a better example of a driver pouncing on an opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Smeee getting utterly hosed up is great :chefskiss: