Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

I didn't find it particularly offensive really but there's also a video at the top there

I totally missed it, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Crankit posted:

why don't they start making trucks that are forward control / cabover?

Have you ever ridden in or driven a cabover?
I have and they fuckin suck fuckin balls.

Visibility is good though.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

mobby_6kl posted:

I didn't find it particularly offensive really but there's also a video at the top there
I tried to get watch the video, but lordy the cinematography is killing me.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
train vs crane

https://gfycat.com/deafeningregalclumber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoDR2W6FJEI

the ruptured tank was argon, thankfully

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 21, 2022

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wiegieman posted:

The target audience is literally people who want to commit vehicular manslaughter. These are for people who want to run over protestors.

It's literally the first thing Homer Simpson fantasized about before he became Mr. Plow:
https://youtu.be/6uns6CzjLNg

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Maybe a bit more representative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgk5RSUnOhE&t=84s

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

argon all gone :smith:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/eveILH3.mp4

https://www.wptv.com/news/local-news/investigations/lantana-bridge-tender-terminated-after-drawbridge-raises-with-car-on-it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/b1Fkp5G.mp4

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

Have you ever ridden in or driven a cabover?
I have and they fuckin suck fuckin balls.

Visibility is good though.

The Mitsubishi Fusos are far better in that regard than the Isuzu NPR-QR-RR line (these being the most popular forward control trucks in the USA). Don't know about the big Hinos. Still, yeah, it sucks.

With the Isuzus, I can stand up on the brake pedal and literally see the front bumper. Great mirrors on either truck, far enough out to kinda be able to see around the back corner a bit.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

madeintaipei posted:

The Mitsubishi Fusos are far better in that regard than the Isuzu NPR-QR-RR line (these being the most popular forward control trucks in the USA). Don't know about the big Hinos. Still, yeah, it sucks.

With the Isuzus, I can stand up on the brake pedal and literally see the front bumper. Great mirrors on either truck, far enough out to kinda be able to see around the back corner a bit.

We have an Isuzu NPR at work. That thing is fun to drive occasionally because you feel like you can reach and touch whatever it is you're about to hit. Also being seated right over the wheels is a different experience. I do not feel safe in it at all.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

We have an Isuzu NPR at work. That thing is fun to drive occasionally because you feel like you can reach and touch whatever it is you're about to hit. Also being seated right over the wheels is a different experience. I do not feel safe in it at all.

They aren't bad to drive, as far as handling goes. Nicely weighted steering, decent brakes, and the exhaust brake works a charm in traffic. Very slow without the 6L GMC gas engine.

You are the crumple zone though.

If it makes you feel better, the engine is supposed to absorb much of the impact and travel down and back. After your ankles get crushed. At least you won't end up wearing a 5.2l 4cyl diesel as a belt buckle!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Rather nasty looking derailment near Phoenix.

https://www.facebook.com/arizonasfamily/videos/406681527926384

quote:

COOLIDGE, AZ — Railroad officials are investigating what led to nearly two dozen train cars getting derailed Monday morning southeast of the Valley.

Union Pacific spokeswoman Robynn Tysver said approximately 20 of their cars derailed just before noon about five miles south of Coolidge, near the intersection of Storey and Christensen roads.

No injuries were reported in the derailment, Tysver told ABC15.

The Pinal County Sheriff's Office was contacted to assist as the incident is investigated. Officials have not yet said what may have caused the cars to go off the tracks.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

madeintaipei posted:

I drive a hino 338 with a 24 foot box, and its got the springy adjustable air seat and its not *that bad* even on lovely roads like Toronto has.
The hood coming down a bit is nice, but I can still think "oh poo poo I'm too close to that (whatever)" and still be like 6 feet away from it. The odd occasion that I drive our 195 cab over, or the old FB1817 that I drove A LOT for years, I could get within inches of things. That was nice, everything else about driving it sucked.
when the front axle bounces, you bounce with it, even higer than it because you're actually seated a little bit forward of the axle. Its like being on a see-saw, or teeter totter or whatever the gently caress you call it. At each end of the board, you travel like 3 feet, in the middle you travel inches. Thats why fancy cars have long wheel bases. The closer you are to the centre, the less you move when you hit a bump, but like the other goon says you said "you are the crumple zone".

I was up north one time in the old FB1817, and a moose crossed the road in front of us. Luckily we weren't going that fast because the brakes on that thing sucked and we were towing a trailer that was probably over loaded. If we had hit that moose, the body of it was the perfect height to obliterate us as it came through the giant spacious windshield. While the bumper and "hood" such as it was, would have taken out the scrawny rear end legs that moose tend to have.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r7o3k5j5fg1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r7o1f2iit41r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r7o33fN5ds1r0uzl6.mp4

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

*Tosses keys back*

“Yes, I’d like to return this.”

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

I drive a hino 338 with a 24 foot box, and its got the springy adjustable air seat and its not *that bad* even on lovely roads like Toronto has.
The hood coming down a bit is nice, but I can still think "oh poo poo I'm too close to that (whatever)" and still be like 6 feet away from it. The odd occasion that I drive our 195 cab over, or the old FB1817 that I drove A LOT for years, I could get within inches of things. That was nice, everything else about driving it sucked.
when the front axle bounces, you bounce with it, even higer than it because you're actually seated a little bit forward of the axle. Its like being on a see-saw, or teeter totter or whatever the gently caress you call it. At each end of the board, you travel like 3 feet, in the middle you travel inches. Thats why fancy cars have long wheel bases. The closer you are to the centre, the less you move when you hit a bump, but like the other goon says you said "you are the crumple zone".

I was up north one time in the old FB1817, and a moose crossed the road in front of us. Luckily we weren't going that fast because the brakes on that thing sucked and we were towing a trailer that was probably over loaded. If we had hit that moose, the body of it was the perfect height to obliterate us as it came through the giant spacious windshield. While the bumper and "hood" such as it was, would have taken out the scrawny rear end legs that moose tend to have.

Ah, we have 238s in abundance. Frito replaced all their International bulk trucks with them a few years back. I never see them broke down anymore, so I'll assume they aren't awful.

The design is neat, cab forward or not, it's the same cab. Very obviously a forward control cab with a little 3ft hood in front.

Previous Hinos down here were rebadged trucks, Isuzus IIRC. Little things, 14-20ft highcubes. Maybe 20-26 ft long altogether. Very rare to see outside of fleet service.

Fusos, as well, are rare. My favorite bread truck is a big Fuso FK/Fighter with the 6 cylinder. She's surprisingly fast up to about 65mph. 2007 and still has the original rear brake pads. Tough truck, great to work out of in a very built up area.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

They aren't bad to drive, as far as handling goes. Nicely weighted steering, decent brakes, and the exhaust brake works a charm in traffic. Very slow without the 6L GMC gas engine.

You are the crumple zone though.

If it makes you feel better, the engine is supposed to absorb much of the impact and travel down and back. After your ankles get crushed. At least you won't end up wearing a 5.2l 4cyl diesel as a belt buckle!

You wouldn't believe how many people just pulled in front of me while I had one of those trucks at work.

I'm in a former Penske rental now. Less space in the back but it has AC and so far everything functions.

Windshield isn't looking so great, probably won't get replaced until it shatters when I'm going 70 mph.

The back leaks too, so all my product in cardboard boxes gets soaked. If it rains then freezes, I can't get the bottom boxes out unless I rip them fully apart.

Still better than my previous truck that leaked exhaust smoke into the back, covering every single product in black residue. Told the owner multiple times, didn't get fixed until I filed an "anonymous" OSHA report after it started leaking into the cab while driving.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You wouldn't believe how many people just pulled in front of me while I had one of those trucks at work.

I'm in a former Penske rental now. Less space in the back but it has AC and so far everything functions.

Windshield isn't looking so great, probably won't get replaced until it shatters when I'm going 70 mph.

The back leaks too, so all my product in cardboard boxes gets soaked. If it rains then freezes, I can't get the bottom boxes out unless I rip them fully apart.

Still better than my previous truck that leaked exhaust smoke into the back, covering every single product in black residue. Told the owner multiple times, didn't get fixed until I filed an "anonymous" OSHA report after it started leaking into the cab while driving.

Lol. I'm so sorry. Can't imagine doing what we do where you are. Combo depots are happening here, too. It's an absolute shitshow.

Snyder's/Lance? I work on the farm.

The trucks never get any better when you work for a small outfit. Mine is the same as your last truck but in far better shape. 2004 GMC with a 6l, 241,000. Well taken care of, but that mileage is when you really start having problems with them.

In the last three months, she's had to go into the shop once a month. Boss pays for the truck, my time, the rentals, and my Ubers. At this point, both me and the truck are making more than he does.

On the other hand, it's a good truck to drive. Tracks straight, goes 80+, new brakes and booster, I've got work lights, a desk, and a stereo in the box, the A/C even works.

The route is beautifully easy. Great people, no bullshit.

Buuuut, it overheats and we're chasing a problem that will only end with headgasket replacement. The last time we had it to the shop, my own vehicle was in another shop a county away for the same work, lol.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Just going to work everyday at the construction site in my crocs.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

The average car actually loses 0% of its value the moment it's driven off the lot, this car is a statistical outlier and shouldn't be counted

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Paper Tiger posted:

The average car actually loses 0% of its value the moment it's driven off the lot, this car is a statistical outlier and shouldn't be counted

driven by big wheels georg, eh?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Xaintrailles posted:

:golfclap:

Aren't Fresno scrapers horse-drawn? What did it hit?

Ah, I looked it up and yeah, the Fresno is the horse drawn one. I'm talking about those big scraper vehicles that's basically a cabin and scraper blade suspended upon a long beam connecting the wheels.

Either way: don't hit construction equipment: they're built to NOT crumple unlike your dinky little civilian car.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Alkydere posted:

Ah, I looked it up and yeah, the Fresno is the horse drawn one. I'm talking about those big scraper vehicles that's basically a cabin and scraper blade suspended upon a long beam connecting the wheels.

Either way: don't hit construction equipment: they're built to NOT crumple unlike your dinky little civilian car.

A grader?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grader

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just going to work everyday at the construction site in my crocs.

Yeah, they could've at least worn their steel-toed crocs.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

Lol. I'm so sorry. Can't imagine doing what we do where you are. Combo depots are happening here, too. It's an absolute shitshow.

Snyder's/Lance? I work on the farm.

The trucks never get any better when you work for a small outfit. Mine is the same as your last truck but in far better shape. 2004 GMC with a 6l, 241,000. Well taken care of, but that mileage is when you really start having problems with them.

In the last three months, she's had to go into the shop once a month. Boss pays for the truck, my time, the rentals, and my Ubers. At this point, both me and the truck are making more than he does.

On the other hand, it's a good truck to drive. Tracks straight, goes 80+, new brakes and booster, I've got work lights, a desk, and a stereo in the box, the A/C even works.

The route is beautifully easy. Great people, no bullshit.

Buuuut, it overheats and we're chasing a problem that will only end with headgasket replacement. The last time we had it to the shop, my own vehicle was in another shop a county away for the same work, lol.

Our old mechanic finally got fired last year. After years of lying, not doing work, jury rigging, stealing from the warehouse, claiming to auto stores that he owns the business, he was finally fired for beating his wife and getting thrown in jail.

When my truck goes out, I have two options sometimes. Use a spare, which if there is currently one it's usually worse than my current truck, or just don't work and get paid nothing while your route rots away. Previous truck, three different times it went in to get fixed because it wouldn't accelerate. Engine would rev, nothing going to the wheels. Three times it was "fixed." Finally, someone else quit and his old Penske rental was left unused so I just claimed it as my own. The joys of a Republican small business owner.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Zefiel posted:

Wow I kramer into the thread to post and someone's talking about fish biologists already, I thought I was beaten to the punch, eerie.

Marine Biologist drowns in tank of a local aquarium

Word on the street is that the girl knew what she was doing and was at no fault, everyone says it was 100% the aquarium's fault, hence my rushing to post about it here. Apparently it was supposed to be a routine retrieval of a fish and she had 'difficulty coming up to the surface' is there a surface in aquarium tanks even? It's going to be treated as a homicide so it'll be wild if it ends up someone locked the hatch behind her or something also how do you last however long the O2 does stuck in there without anyone coming to help

Zefiel posted:

That place is sort of owned (in the nebulous way moguls do) by the same dude who was paid to build up this above ground subway with these results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kGbd3z0GL0&t=47s

No one has been punished by this, which left 27 dead. Watch this incident go unpunished as well

Catching up on the thread, who the heck is this you’re talking about, they seem to have gotten both these things pulled down

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Jenny Agutter posted:

Catching up on the thread, who the heck is this you’re talking about, they seem to have gotten both these things pulled down

Haha weird! The first link is definitely gone, but it was a small-time news blog that at the time was the only place I could find reporting the thing in english that wasn't google-translated. Now there's more info and more links: https://newsrnd.com/news/2022-02-18-the-strange-drowning-of-a-biologist-raises-suspicions-in-an-aquarium-in-mexico-city.BkerfwOpkc.html (apparently there WAS a lookout diver, but the OSHA aspect is why they chose to ask the ambulance to take her to a hospital far away instead of the place next door. Or the one minutes away.) The second one is probably just geoblocked, since it still looks avaliable to me. It's referring to this incident:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_City_Metro_overpass_collapse

The a-hole who has his hands in both these business is this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Slim Who we cannot eat soon enough.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

I said FORD the river, not Chevrolet!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

These rule, they are useful for keeping winter roads in shape. Unfortunately someome seem to think they should be removed from service, down from 400ish to 68 nation wide I hear.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yes! That was is exactly!

The truck was destroyed and the grader had some scratches.

His Divine Shadow posted:

These rule, they are useful for keeping winter roads in shape. Unfortunately someome seem to think they should be removed from service, down from 400ish to 68 nation wide I hear.

Odd. I see them all the time preparing land for building and road construction down here in Texas.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Alkydere posted:

Yes! That was is exactly!

The truck was destroyed and the grader had some scratches.

https://youtu.be/mAtpkbWtM7g

Here's the video you were talking about if nobody's posted it recently. Doesn't show any gore or anything but man that truck is GONE

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Alkydere posted:

There's video. I don't *think* it shows any gore but I'll tag it anyway

:nms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAtpkbWtM7g

I like the description:

quote:

The CalTrans worker had just gotten out of it and was ok, truck driver NO.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oh yeah that's the video. Lots of paint and oil but um...the passenger of that vehicle is just gone.

Which is about what I imagine such a brodozer would look like if you nailed the engine block with a German 88, as someone was talking about a few pages ago.

Your car/truck/SUV/minivan are built to crumple to save you. Construction equipment is built to resist the massive loads they put themselves under doing their work. One of those is a lot more durable than the other and survives a collision way, way better.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Alkydere posted:

Oh yeah that's the video. Lots of paint and oil but um...the passenger of that vehicle is just gone.

Which is about what I imagine such a brodozer would look like if you nailed the engine block with a German 88, as someone was talking about a few pages ago.

Your car/truck/SUV/minivan are built to crumple to save you. Construction equipment is built to resist the massive loads they put themselves under doing their work. One of those is a lot more durable than the other and survives a collision way, way better.

That's like comparing my steel toe shitkickers with an ant. Two such graders colliding at 80mph would be a bit of a different story.
And now I really want to see that.. In a controlled environment, of course.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

Two Graders were no match for the Killdozer.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

chrisgt posted:

That's like comparing my steel toe shitkickers with an ant. Two such graders colliding at 80mph would be a bit of a different story.
And now I really want to see that.. In a controlled environment, of course.

Absolutely. Make it an event like that time when they made two steam locomotives collide.

But perhaps this time put the audience behind a blast screen.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

FuturePastNow posted:

There's video. I don't *think* it shows any gore but I'll tag it anyway

:nms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAtpkbWtM7g

I like the description:

:stare:

i have never seen a truck shredded like that

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

LimaBiker posted:

Absolutely. Make it an event like that time when they made two steam locomotives collide.

But perhaps this time put the audience behind a blast screen.

Those happened a lot and I assume the danger was part of the fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

This is confusing...why the hell did that person stop on the bridge like that? I looked up where it is, there's no lights/signs they'd have to stop for on either end. Article didn't mention any traffic or accidents either, no idea what that doofus was trying to do.