Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Nope, they've committed to at least 87 episodes. See https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-02-16/attack-on-titan-the-final-season-anime-87th-episode-gets-1-week-delay/.182694

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Attack on Titan the Final Final Final Season

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There 5 more, that was 82 and 87 is the finale. Though a movie wrap up is still most likely.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There 5 more, that was 82 and 87 is the finale. Though a movie wrap up is still most likely.

The anime just finished adapting chapter 125, which leaves us with 14 more chapters, in addition to a big part of an earlier chapter that hasn't been covered that's probably getting moved around for pacing purposes. So, yeah. It's not finishing in five episodes without an anime only ending or an absurd rush.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

chiasaur11 posted:

Assuming Erwin was holding himself together at all, he'd have people standing at attention in five minutes. Between his time as the head of the Survey Corps giving him a high position in the government and his terrifying natural charisma, he could solve all the non-Eren problems like they weren't there, leaving everyone free to focus on working out what they could or would do about the rumbling. Armin being alive meant that the one person who could keep things in order was dead.

Yeah, when Armin said Erwin would have been the better choice, in the moment I was totally agreeing with him. Outside the battlefield, Armin seems totally out of his depth. And, as mentioned, the fact that his genius was played up so much but nobody steered him on the right direction hurt him as well. It seems after the time skip nobody seems to find him in any position of authority. I have no idea if this is some sort of meta-commentary or what, but the more he screws up the more in retrospect this was just Eren and Mikasa being selfish.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dipwood posted:

Yeah, when Armin said Erwin would have been the better choice, in the moment I was totally agreeing with him. Outside the battlefield, Armin seems totally out of his depth. And, as mentioned, the fact that his genius was played up so much but nobody steered him on the right direction hurt him as well. It seems after the time skip nobody seems to find him in any position of authority. I have no idea if this is some sort of meta-commentary or what, but the more he screws up the more in retrospect this was just Eren and Mikasa being selfish.

It wasn't them being selfish that decided things, though.

It was Levi.

When he was the one deciding, he chose to let Erwin rest rather than plunge back into this hell. And it would be a hell for him. He'd have to be Eldia's devil, the monster making the brutal calls and the harshest sacrifices, finding that his father's dream was a nightmare all along, and then he'd see his closest friends die, probably having to kill more than a few of them himself if Zeke managed to slip things through.

Armin's showing how he was probably the worse strategic pick, but also that Levi really did give Erwin the lighter burden.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

uPen posted:

Wait what

84 episodes in total, we just got 82

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

That’s news to me!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Steve Yun posted:

84 episodes in total, we just got 82

That's not how Wikipedia episode lists work. They only show the episodes that have been named so far, normally and including now, up to the newest one and the next one.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

cgeq posted:

Not gonna lie, I liked the way Lelouch Code Geass ended and if AoT goes the same route then FINE THANKS I"LL TAKE IT

But like, this show takes a fairly realistic approach to the human condition. Whatever happens with the Rumbling, we aren't gonna get world peace or full gay space communism. Civilzation will continue to develop and technology will continue to advance. Maybe Paradis works with not-Japan and Marley to produce a nuke. In the end global warming kills the planet, or entropy ends all life.

Or maybe Eren pulls a Madoka and rewrites the rules of reality and becomes as a god unto all subjects of Ymir.

Yeah, got no idea if it'll go down that way I was just thinking that if people disliked it so much maybe it was because it was a move that didn't make any sense from people's understanding of the show. Like 'Planning for world peace all along' is such an out of character move for Eren I can totally see people losing their poo poo if the author was to suddenly reveal that this was the book they'd been reading the whole time.

Anyway with all this ending talk, thanks to whoever said that Serum Bowl was hated when it came out in the Manga, that was pretty much my favourite episode in the entire show so maybe it's just a case of Manga people not knowing what they're on about and the ending will be just fine.

I was under the impression that Conny was going to get to his mum and then decide he couldn't go through with it because he's ultimately a good guy and then everyone gets out of that plot thread alive. Only then Mr Brauss went and said exactly that and it's never a good sign for it going down that way in fiction when a character says it ahead of time what they want to happen. So maybe it's bad news for one of our boys in team Conny/Falco :(.

I also think Mikassa being close to Onyankopon who can fly a zeppelin is going to be pretty important as that's the only way I can see her getting ahead of the Rumbling. Or maybe she's just there to murder Floch with Jean. Or both, hopefully both.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

First of all, what the gently caress is a serum bowl?

Second, I can't imagine Hange wanting to side with Pieck and Margrath. 100% it's a straight-up ploy and she's feeding the Cart to Levi, because Levi is a loving sleeping corpse with limbs missing

I miss Erwin. This show is so fun because it's great to imagine what characters would be doing now. Like yeah Erwin would have these Jaegerists on lock. But surely Mikasa is easily going to beat the poo poo out of Floch (and everyone else) but she doesn't know if it's the right thing to do. But then it might be a parallel to when she threatened to murder that trader who blocked the gate? Mikasa doesn't make many decisions unless they're "save Eren right now".

Wondering what Annie will do now she's stuck there in Paradis. Thought it was setting up for a bit of redemption but then she's like "yeah I'd kill all of you again to see my dad" so lol

I didn't even recognise Hitch at first, her face was straight-up changed

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Serum bowl is when they had to pick who got the titan serum: Armin or Erwin.
I was in the manga thread in 2016 when it happened, and that chapter was hated.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

At the time a lot of people felt like it was a cop-out resolution to a story arc that had dragged on for like 11 months at that point. People were way more down on the series at that point, especially because at the time nobody knew what was in the basement or if it was going to pay off at all.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

The one thing that bugged me about Serum Bowl is it definitely felt like a "have your cake and eat it too" moment. The previous episode was centered around Armin sacrificing himself, but then the reset button gets pressed immediately.

Whatever though, story still good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Saagonsa posted:

At the time a lot of people felt like it was a cop-out resolution to a story arc that had dragged on for like 11 months at that point. People were way more down on the series at that point, especially because at the time nobody knew what was in the basement or if it was going to pay off at all.

It felt like the story had grown kind of toothless. It was a while since the protagonists faced a major setback or had any major characters die, but it was leading up to the big fight against the titan shifters so it felt like the stakes were about to get real. And then... the armored titan got blown-to-gently caress but didn't die. Levi fights the beast titan and both come out alive. There's a big "oh no, is Armin going to die?" moment, but no, they save him. I remember worrying that Armin getting the colossal titan was the story jumping the shark.

I'm still kind of down on it, at least in the manga version.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Chill Mayo Hater posted:

The one thing that bugged me about Serum Bowl is it definitely felt like a "have your cake and eat it too" moment. The previous episode was centered around Armin sacrificing himself, but then the reset button gets pressed immediately.

Yeah that drove me nuts too. And not only was it hyped up as such a great clever sacrifice on a thematic level, on the base physical level it seemed nuts for Armin to survive that. We'd already had to swallow so much bullshit like Reiner relocating his brain functions, but at least he was already a Titan!

I do like still having Armin around but at the time, I wished they had both died just to stick it to everyone for stuffing around.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Armin's crisp outer coating protected him from the 200 foot fall

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Bifauxnen posted:

I do like still having Armin around but at the time, I wished they had both died just to stick it to everyone for stuffing around.

That would've been a hell of a twist lol

Levi: I'm giving the shot to Erwin... er... well at least there's still Arm... huh. Guys, uh... poo poo.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ah, OK! Well, serum bowl is a dumb as hell name

I thought that episode was amazing in the anime. It was so tense, I didn't know what was going to happen.

Another win for the anime!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Can anyone explain to me the rules lawyering of how Eren was able to access the founding Titan powers, despite not having royal blood, and how Zeke intended to use the founding Titan powers without eating Eren

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Eren convinced Ymir to defy the royal line that had enslaved her. Zeke thought that Eren was down with his plan and would co-operate.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Steve Yun posted:

Can anyone explain to me the rules lawyering of how Eren was able to access the founding Titan powers, despite not having royal blood, and how Zeke intended to use the founding Titan powers without eating Eren

Royal blood isn't actually special, it's just a societal construct to enforce class structures.

Or, if you don't like that: technically, since every Subject of Ymir is a descendant of the offspring of Ymir and the first King, every Subject has ~royal~ blood.

Also Eren gives really good hugs. :glomp:

Steve Yun posted:

That’s news to me!

Yup, show is confirmed for 87 episodes and the finale has been pushed a week from March 27th to April 3rd. Japan's big anime expo is on the 27th, so it is rumored they will announce The Final Final Season Part 2 Season Finale Movie Finale which could mean they drag out the last boss fight or whatever into a stupid film which probably won't release until 2025...
:sigh:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The founding titan is the titan with the coordinate, and the coordinate is where ymir is. So having the founding titan lets you go talk to ymir. However, ymir will only listen to you if you have royal blood, so eren could not command ymir, while Zeke could (but Zeke could only get there by being in contact with eren). So the whole "whoever has the coordinate has the power, the royal blood just unlocks it" thing was false, it's really the other way around. The coordinate let's someone with royal blood reach ymir, and then they can command her to do whatever they want.

However, despite not being a royal, eren was able to appeal to ymir's base feelings of resentment for the situation she had been born in and was still trapped in, enough to awaken her consciousness that was essentially dormant for thousands of years as she tirelessly obeyed her masters without thought. This made ymir change her mind on who she listens to, allowing her to act on her own rather than obey the royals (and boy did eren have a great idea for lashing out at the world she was born into)

No idea what makes Zeke a royal and eren not since they're all ancestors of both the king and ymir. Maybe royals are the direct descendants of fritz and she doesn't listen to children born of foreign blood, though she still has power over them? There is definitely is some kind of separation between them (at least in ymir's mind), as ymir automatically listens to zeke while eren has to convince her.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 22, 2022

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

However you kinda just have to ignore that time when Eren commanded the titans to attack Reiner when he wasn't touching anyone other than Mikasa

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Yeah. I think probably the general outline, the bones of the story, have been in place from the start, but there's also been a lot of improvisation along the way. Generally seamless, but certain details don't quite add up as a result.

Which beats the Lost/Battlestar Galactica philosophy of "throw it in if it's mysterious, we'll figure it out later". I really like both those shows but they both ended up suffering from a lack of planning.

a seagull fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 22, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
See also the "Female Titan" retcon

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Saagonsa posted:

However you kinda just have to ignore that time when Eren commanded the titans to attack Reiner when he wasn't touching anyone other than Mikasa

Remember he had just touched Dina Fritz Titan.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Remember he had just touched Dina Fritz Titan.

But before that, he abruptly regenerates himself with swirly rainbow powers and then he touches Dina. The sudden unexplained regeneration is the odd part.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I wonder if Ymir has these rules written down somewhere in the sand

Maybe she breaks her own rules by mistake because she can’t keep them sorted

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

The United States posted:

See also the "Female Titan" retcon

What's the retcon exactly. I don't think anything we get is explicitly contradictory about the female titan's powers as introduced versus what we learn later.

The real retcon is scout Ymir's jaw titan being identical to her pure titan form, and the only feature she has in common with Marcel and Porco's titans is being small. Clearly hadn't settled on how and what about the powers is transferred at that point.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

I kinda explained it away as the Galliard bros. got hardening juice to make their claws and masks, which Cool Ymir didn't know about.

Whatever it was you're right about the pure titan form not syncing up with how others have been shown since

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
It seems that as long as you earnestly believe you have royal blood, she'll consider you a royal. Mind over matter.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

JahRoo posted:

What's the retcon exactly. I don't think anything we get is explicitly contradictory about the female titan's powers as introduced versus what we learn later.
The female titan looks like Annie vs the female titan looks like that because it's the only female titan. What would happen if some dude ate her? Well... *flips table, runs out of room*

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Beefstew posted:

Serum bowl is when they had to pick who got the titan serum: Armin or Erwin.
I was in the manga thread in 2016 when it happened, and that chapter was hated.
I think people, me being one of them, were mostly pissed at how ridiculously it was portrayed in the manga and that there was a choice to begin with due to just how hosed up Armin got. Armin fell from like a couple hundred feet in the air, experienced the Colossal Air Fryer full blast at point blank range, and crash landed on a rooftop. He was Armin brand beef jerky on impact and I believe, I can't remember exactly, but I think the blast had burned his clothes and hair off entirely as well?

In a series full of ridiculous physics and acrobatics and unrealistic feats, even that was too ridiculous for a lot of folks

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I'm not really saying manga readers are wrong with regards to serum bowl in the manga.
Rather, I'm saying that presentation, pacing, etc have more of an effect than you might guess at first. Sometimes that poo poo can be done so well that you can just look past things that would be absurd or questionable on their face. And that's really what the entire series hinges on. My speculation comes from the huge discrepancy between how the reactions to that scene in the anime vs the manga - not that manga readers were somehow all inherently wrong, but that the translation from page to screen elevated it to the point where the majority of viewers didn't care about those problems. And I'm curious to see if that trend will continue if we get into contentious scenes down the road.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I thought Annie's titan's power was calling Pure titans and having some control over them?

Not sure if that's a retcon or just the characters/audience focusing on the red herring...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Ymir’s Jaw Titan doesn’t have a mask because her mask is her hidden identity. It’s society

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

armin not being dead on impact has bugged everyone i know who has seen that episode. some real shattering of suspension of disbelief in that one, which does not lead well into armin being revived despite most people both preferring erwin as a character and seeing erwin as the pretty obvious choice too.

i think presentation did about as well as it could have but i've seen plenty of people dislike that part of the anime, not surprised it was/is not well regarded by manga readers

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I think the blast had burned his clothes and hair off entirely as well?

Except his pants! :pseudo:

I just write it off as... real life people have survived ludicrous situations. People have survived their parachutes not opening while skydiving. A man I read about in the OSHA thread survived falling into a vat of molten zinc (I think). Somehow Armin pulled off both at the same time. I'm willing to accept that in Big Naked Monster Universe.

I just don't like big dramatic death scenes that are immediately negated.

To make my stance clear, this show owns, but there are parts of it that don't quite hold up to scrutiny, but this doesn't bother me. It's an anime.

edit: Colossal Air Fryer is my new band name do not steal

a seagull fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

i really love how the rumbling is just happening in the background of every scene, i imagine it would take a hot minute for all those big boys to file out of Paradis. This show is just pretty to look at :allears: