Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

this is really fascinating, i love hearing about your work, you're doing basically my dream career if i was capable of having a career. do you rearrange the blown-up chunks of dam material to form ecosystems?

dealing with the construction debris is honestly one of the harder parts of the whole operation. we can't leave it in place as habitat because the rivers here aren't very large and the material from the dam would basically smother it. so theocratically the concrete and metal goes to construction recycling and all the silt that's filled in behind the dam goes to replenish the local downstream beaches which have been eroding away because all the silt is trapped up stream. but getting permission to move everything in massive truck convoys, dealing with potential contamination from people illegally dumping hazardous materials, it all limits what can be done and means a mountain of paperwork. i'm glad i'm not at the stage where i'm making the big calls and dealing with those kinds of issues, dealing with the smaller issues around the margins is fine with me

i deal with plenty of citizen scientists running non-profits that do very similar things working off grants and government contracts. so i got real lucky in getting a full-time permanent government position basically as soon as i started looking for one (i honestly still don't know how i got it), but there are other paths to similar work. and you know how eccentric the people who prosper in this field can be

and likened him to King Jeroboam known for seducing the masses to idolatry,

get him!!

more like king jabroni, am i right?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
kals, this is why you never take part in moderation, it can only lead to ruin

with that said, free kals

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

amazing that saul's kids were so well adjusted when he was constantly throwing spears around the house
their response to everything is basically "yeah that's our crazy old dad :rolleyes:"

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
i love saul. he tried. he was a man of passions

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

kals, this is why you never take part in moderation, it can only lead to ruin

with that said, free kals

i genuinely didn’t ask for it, but the other option was to let eepol go extremely to poo poo, so here we are

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

So a several of the European philosophers thought North American animals were “degenerate “ less evolved and more primitive than the European versions, comte be Buffon puts it in his book. “New World degeneracy” weak feeble because they live in cold wet places. One of the various reasons they give for this is the distance between anus and genitals of various animals, though it was not the sole reason.

Buffon extended this theory to naive Americans.:

““…a kind of weak automaton, incapable of improving or seconding her (Nature’s) intentions. She treated them rather like a stepmother than a parent, by refusing them the invigorating sentiment of love, and the strong desire of multiplying their species…In the savage, the organs of generation are small and feeble. He has no hair, no beard, no ardour for the female…. He has no vivacity, no activity of mind…They have been refused the most precious spark of Nature’s fire: They have no ardour for women, and, of course, no love to mankind… Their love to parents and children is extremely weak. The bonds of the most intimate of all societies, that of the same family, are feeble; and one family has no attachment to another… Their heart is frozen, their society cold, and their empire cruel…””

Jefferson was not a fan and thought this was bullshit so he has one of the members of his administration go gather evidence to refute it. Part of refuting : “organs of generation are small and feeble” was measuring particulars of new world animal junk among the measurements taken... taint distances.

Anyway “James Madison wrote Jefferson that measurements which he himself had taken on American weasels, and then compared to the weasel’s Old World counterparts, showed how misguided Buffon was. His data, Madison wrote Jefferson, “certainly contradicts his (Buffon’s) assertion that of the animals common to the two continents, those of the new are in every instance smaller than those of the old”

So future President Madison measured weasel taints and reported his findings to them current president Jefferson, who would write to Fredrick the Great about comparative measurements of weasel junk.

And so, D&D was born.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=176812

should probably get rid of this nazi freak again

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

exmarx posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=176812

should probably get rid of this nazi freak again

Lol that he's German.

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

Koos Group posted:

And so, D&D was born.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCy9u5QyZ54

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i wonder how many people still posting were around for lf

sometimes i wonder if i've aged out of the posting lifestyle

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
but seriously, why did kalstrams probate some body in defence of the epic refugee rape stats guy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

idk why should i tolerate off topic qcs chat in my thread

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I watched the new Last Week Tonight and still have no idea what CRT is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EICp1vGlh_U

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

punk rebel ecks posted:

they're those chunky monitors that would take up your entire desk

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Hey exmarx how is your stupid people protest going down there? Is there poop and garbage everywhere like there was up here after the police finally started clearing them out?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
it's finally popping off a bit. glad to be wfh today, i walk past it on my way to work. the cops let the occupation keep growing for way too long, and have been ignoring their street harassment (and assaults) on passers-by for wearing masks etc.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

these convoys seem very very strange to me

as covid restrictions start easing up these guys suddenly materialise and form actual seriously disruptive demonstrations

it's weird

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

What pisses me off about these convoys is that the people cheering them on and donating money are the same people who thought the BLM protestors should have been mowed down with machine gun fire.

Protesting when white= Brave FREEDOM! fighters.
Protesting when a POC = Criminal terrorists.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

exmarx posted:

it's finally popping off a bit. glad to be wfh today, i walk past it on my way to work. the cops let the occupation keep growing for way too long, and have been ignoring their street harassment (and assaults) on passers-by for wearing masks etc.

So literally the exact same thing that happened here. At least theres an end in sight!

V. Illych L. posted:

as covid restrictions start easing up these guys suddenly materialise and form actual seriously disruptive demonstrations

it's weird

"We want restrictions lifted so we will cause another spike in transmissions and hospitalizations to delay lifting said restrictions!"

It was never about restrictions or vaccinations anyway. A good poster in CanPol found this and sums it up more than I could ever hope to:

flakeloaf posted:

https://twitter.com/LeahGazan/status/1495432087490416641

Ten minutes worth spending, if you aren't the type to go reading Hansard. The Honourable Member from Yeg Centre calls this occupation, its leaders and its collaborators in the house exactly what they are

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

cinci zoo sniper posted:

idk why should i tolerate off topic qcs chat in my thread
lay down the law kals. this thread is your domain now, i anoint you our king

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Furnaceface posted:

Hey exmarx how is your stupid people protest going down there? Is there poop and garbage everywhere like there was up here after the police finally started clearing them out?
that happened in australia lol, the freedom rally was a hideous filth serpent that spread trash and plague wherever it touched. now all the attendees are falling ill with a mysterious contagion, which they're attributing to a laser attack

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

that happened in australia lol, the freedom rally was a hideous filth serpent that spread trash and plague wherever it touched. now all the attendees are falling ill with a mysterious contagion, which they're attributing to a laser attack

i wish i had the courage to live this unbound from reality

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

V. Illych L. posted:

it's weird
they're a nazi op, the orchestrators are trying to figure out who among their new followers has got the capability to cause real destruction. on the way we're all finding out that nazis and nazi tolerators are very stupid and have terrible personal hygiene, but i could have told you that already.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i wish i had the courage to live this unbound from reality
it has opened my eyes to the magical fantasy world everybody secretly inhabits inside their heads. i always thought it was just me

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lay down the law kals. this thread is your domain now, i anoint you our king

eh it’s less that and more that the weren’t not at point of a hot war yet (well, now we probably are, since putin spent an hour talking how lenin was the original nazi and invented ukraine out of stupidity), yet the thread already is going 10 pages per day - id like to be able to read it, and thus to keep verbose arguments limited to stuff that’s relevant to the thread, instead of people relitigating forums rules or trying to decide whether if hasan or vaush is the truer leftist

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i had no idea that havana syndrome was contagious :ohdear:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

they're those chunky monitors that would take up your entire desk

After I'd moved out of the house, my parents got the bright idea to buy a huge, for the time, honking teevee. It was something absurd like 50 inches, and it was a CRT device. They even managed to get it upstairs! That thing must have weighed about as much as an oven. But the joke was really on them, because no one actually watched the drat thing, I think my dad watched one Formula season on it and then it was just forgotten. Because no one went upstairs to watch the teevee, since there was one set in the living room downstairs too.

Why yes I'm just old enough to have to have moved a couple times with CRT monitors and boy howdy did I hate those god-damned things

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

cinci zoo sniper posted:

eh it’s less that and more that the weren’t not at point of a hot war yet (well, now we probably are, since putin spent an hour talking how lenin was the original nazi and invented ukraine out of stupidity), yet the thread already is going 10 pages per day - id like to be able to read it, and thus to keep verbose arguments limited to stuff that’s relevant to the thread, instead of people relitigating forums rules or trying to decide whether if hasan or vaush is the truer leftist
i trust in your righteousness in this time of need

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Rappaport posted:

After I'd moved out of the house, my parents got the bright idea to buy a huge, for the time, honking teevee. It was something absurd like 50 inches, and it was a CRT device. They even managed to get it upstairs! That thing must have weighed about as much as an oven. But the joke was really on them, because no one actually watched the drat thing, I think my dad watched one Formula season on it and then it was just forgotten. Because no one went upstairs to watch the teevee, since there was one set in the living room downstairs too.

Why yes I'm just old enough to have to have moved a couple times with CRT monitors and boy howdy did I hate those god-damned things
Were 50 inch CRT's a thing? I remember the old 50 inchers being "projection" TV's with abysmal picture quality. Sometimes it was like you could barely see what was happening on the screen.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It may have been smaller, I honestly don't remember. It was just this absolute tank of a teevee and I'm glad we no longer have to deal with that sort of nonsense.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The largest actual CRT's I remember were 32 inches and yeah they were loving massive.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

My google-fu is failing me and I can't find a picture of the drat thing, but I did find a quote from a Finnish salesman who said their largest CRT sets at the time were over a hundred kilos in weight. Jeez Louise!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Rappaport posted:

My google-fu is failing me and I can't find a picture of the drat thing, but I did find a quote from a Finnish salesman who said their largest CRT sets at the time were over a hundred kilos in weight. Jeez Louise!

well one can understand why people don't want that sort of thing in their schools, it's a clear crushing hazard

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

punk rebel ecks posted:

Life's harder if you're a minority.

That's it. That's all CRT says. But it goes against everything some people believe - specifically the belief that the straight white Christian male is the last persecuted 'minority' in America.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
realtalk, if anybody here is seriously considering migration, australia is as good and as safe as anywhere. i moan about it a lot, but it's about as racist as the uk, as uneducated as america and as violent as canada, so as a combination it's one of the better english-speaking destinations. choose the southern end of the country over the north if you can, the north has got it coming.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
we need more progressive migrants to balance out the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i hear video games cost 100,000 in australian fun bucks, so non-starter