Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Interesting article on BSG, Unfathomable, and theme vs setting in board games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Any thoughts on Bloc by Bloc? The theme seems very interesting but it's hard to tell how the game really plays from the rules.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I seek discussion on balance and good play in Unfathomable. We're five plays in, never played BSG. 2 human wins, 3 hybrid wins, at player counts 4, 5, 5, 5, 6. That win rate balance doesn't look bad, I know, but both human wins were in games with training wheels beginner mode on (all hybrid wins were normal rules except that we accidentally gave everyone 5 cards to start) and even then seemed exceptionally narrow down to seating order of players being the clutch difference. The hybrids felt like they just cruised sank to victory with ease each time, by contrast.

The play group is grumbling that life is much better down where it's wetter. We're considering pro-human house rules. It feels like the game of having the resources needed to pass skill checks and ward off Deep Ones is, while not impossibly difficult, much too difficult to withstand the game of half of the play table being dedicated to opposing success, lurking for a chance to card-spam-torpedo a really brutal crisis and then wreak havoc as is opportune.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I tend to play Unfathomable with four players, but have only had four games so far. Humans tend to win the beginner game, hybrids win the others. I think in my use case the Cultist player tends to play too much like a hybrid, but generally speaking the game usually results in a close hybrid win, which feels like it'll self-correct.

I wonder if my humans aren't using the engine room and "risk resource for result" areas like that enough.

I guess a reasonable house-rule might be to raise resources by 1? It's a big buff for the human team, but if they're always losing it sounds like they need one.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
The common feature has been traitors bombing brutal crisis cards. Things are going along and then wham someone tanks a crisis that makes Hydra triple activate or deals 3 ship damage or retards the travel track multiple steps while damaging the ship or something. The damage explosions in particular kick the humans' collective rear end by sick bayin' everyone and depleting their cards. Shortly after you might get a revealed traitor going on a human-shooting spree that sick bays everyone else. The pivots sting.

That's another thing, the character powers and traitor reveal powers seem all over in how useful they are to a human or to a traitor. Ishmael reveals at the right time you get a fish rampage. Doctor reveals at whatever time you might lose a soul might not big whoop.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 18, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://www.gamenerdz.com/spirit-island-jagged-earth

$37 is a crazy deal. This will go fast.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Wow. Thanks. Wasn’t planning on getting JE for a long time but it’ll probably never be this cheap again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jagged Earth is great and you should be getting it more or less as soon as you've figured out the base game

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thank you for posting this!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Jagged Earth is great and you should be getting it more or less as soon as you've figured out the base game

I've been waffling on it only because I suck pretty bad as SI (fun as it is), and the higher complexity spirits of JE are a bit intimidating to me. I do well enough with BoDaN and Oceans Hungry Grasp though, so who knows. I just can't grok the game well enough to play many scenarios or adversaries, and my picayune hot take about SI is that the on-card/on-player board text could use an editor sometimes.

edit: Not trying to be a downer, I'm super psyched to buy it. The sheer amount of stuff in it is amazing. Can't wait to try the aspects on the OG spirits.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad
Yeah, if you can do ok with bodan and ocean, you should be able to do well with most. I tend to not play with adversaries when playing the physical version, mainly because of the extra rules/admin overhead anyway. So don’t feel like you’re missing out or not playing it right without them. I’ve played a bunch of the je spirits and they’re not really a step up over bodan I think. That said, haven’t tried finder/starlight yet. Anyway, definitely worth 30bux.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just wanted to interject here while we're on the topic and say that I just love Spirit Island. However, it might be problematic for my marriage. My wife isn't as good as I am, and it takes every bit of willpower I have not to quarterback the game, which is truly obnoxious when I do it so I try so very hard not to...but the invaders are despoiling our pristine shores and killing the Dahan...please just see that you can stop that build chain with a push, don't make me say it...

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
Play at a lower difficult, and/or treat it as an extra difficulty modifier - i.e see if you can deal with your board plus the problems that arise in their board if they don't play optimally. I've found that works pretty well for playing with people at different skill levels.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Magpie games kickstarters will always be late. To the point where I complained about it and they got mad at me on their discord for several hours for asking “where is the thing I paid for.”

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

CommonShore posted:

I thought branch and claw was the one you wanted?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Jagged earth is more of a complete expansion. Both are good if you like the game though!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
B&C was designed as part of the base and split by the publisher for a Kickstarter addon. Jagged is the first real expansion and refines and rebalances the game to a better state on top of adding plenty of new content.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
also every spirit in jagged earth fuckin' slaps

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Both spirits in B&C are fun and strong too. Then again, the only spirit I'd call weak is Shadows without any aspect.

That being said, Jagged Earth is the best if you have to choose between the two.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think splitting B&C off was the right call since the base game box is hardly lacking in content or complexity as-is.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Eraflure posted:

Both spirits in B&C are fun and strong too. Then again, the only spirit I'd call weak is Shadows without any aspect.

That being said, Jagged Earth is the best if you have to choose between the two.

I don’t know. I have really not enjoyed Sharp Fangs. I find Thunderspeaker is a lot more fun in terms of having a spirit that pushes/pulls pieces on the board.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Jagged Earth does a better job of introducing the B&C elements than B&C does, IMO. B&C feels too sequestered from the base game, so when we were playing just B&C the tokens felt like more of a chore than anything. JE has more spirits interact with them and more interesting & appealing token powers.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Thats great to hear. The tokens in B&C definitely felt tacked on in a way that didn’t feel very integrated. I’m excited to get a stronger tutorial through some of the JE spirits.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sure don't have anything nice to say about Polymorph Games still

Sent them a package with a game I'm returning last month and it has just been straight up sitting in their PO Box all this time.

They've stopped responding to both mine and ibntumart's emails, and just yeah...
They're either dead or they just don't give a poo poo.

What a lovely company.
Avoid.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
There a few bad reviews popping up on google reviews as well, so it seems like there are more people who have been screwed by them. Myself included.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Jewmanji posted:

I don’t know. I have really not enjoyed Sharp Fangs. I find Thunderspeaker is a lot more fun in terms of having a spirit that pushes/pulls pieces on the board.

Same plus Many Minds Move as One is a better beast spirit though I've only recently played Fangs enough to get a handle on it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Sharp Fangs does get substantially better with JE powers and JR partner spirits. The main thing is that it relies on being super proactive; build prevention + explorer kills + a strong push + fast phase damage is an incredibly good toolkit for shutting down invaders before they get established, the tradeoff being that Fangs is worse than most at dealing with heavily dug in invaders.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Play Sharp Fangs and Many Minds together and just carpet the island in beasts. Maybe you'll draw the event that generates a fear for each beast that shares a land with an invader. :getin:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The last time i played Spirit Island, we played with a random events deck and in the second turn, another European power declared war on our lot and wiped off nearly every city, rendering the game pretty trivial after that. I can't recommend that deck. Besides any balance issues, reading, comprehending, then executing a card each turn is a lot of work that just disrupts the flow of the game more than anything.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
They're actually playtesting changing that specific event to make it less swingy, cos it's one of a small handful that has been identified as potentially having too much of an impact on the game.

I can definitely see the benefits of not playing with events, but after well over a hundred games I really like the variability that they introduce and on higher adversary levels I rarely if ever find them to make or break the game - even the event you mentioned while it can clear out a few coastal cities also adds blight to the board when doing so, and having one land per board dealt with by an event is unlikely to change things that dramatically if playing against many of the level 6 adversaries. As often as not they are more inclined to change one problem (an overly built-up coast for instance) with another (more blight and presence destruction). I also find that after enough plays you start to get very familiar with the types of effects that events can have, and planning around that becomes part of the game itself. Can't argue with the fact that it does take more time and interrupts the rest of the game flow, but I really enjoy the added tension of the event (and fear cards) potentially messing with your plans.

All of that said, I think only introducing events if you reach a stage of finding the game too predictable would be a perfectly good way to go especially now that JE added a way to play without events while still using all the spirits and tokens.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

the holy poopacy posted:

Sharp Fangs does get substantially better with JE powers and JR partner spirits. The main thing is that it relies on being super proactive; build prevention + explorer kills + a strong push + fast phase damage is an incredibly good toolkit for shutting down invaders before they get established, the tradeoff being that Fangs is worse than most at dealing with heavily dug in invaders.

And gets completely wrecked if you get a lot of early blight on the board, so it seems to be more dependent on how the initial explore cards play out and can have a hard time with adversaries where you want to allow blight (like Habsburg). I really enjoy playing Fangs against certain adversaries though, it has a fun set of mechanics.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
War Touches the Island's Shores is incredibly swingy. A lot of people remove it from the game and it was explicitly kept out of the Steam version

'Devs posted:

Three event cards from the tabletop version were not included at the request of the game designer: A Strange Madness Among the Beasts, Outpaced, and War Touches the Island's Shores.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is future errata to remove it (like Jagged Earth had for A Strange Madness).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kerro posted:

And gets completely wrecked if you get a lot of early blight on the board, so it seems to be more dependent on how the initial explore cards play out and can have a hard time with adversaries where you want to allow blight (like Habsburg). I really enjoy playing Fangs against certain adversaries though, it has a fun set of mechanics.

True. If you see that the initial explore is not going to be favorable, gunning for major powers makes for a pretty effective Plan B; Fangs might not look like a major power spirit but you have excellent burst energy and lots of card gain from growth, and the top track elements let you trigger your main innate without needing to stay strictly on-element.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
All hail the new crowdfunding leader, Gamefound because Kickstarter does not know what the gently caress they are doing

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/128952/kickstarter-answers-questions-about-its-blockchain

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Mayveena posted:

All hail the new crowdfunding leader, Gamefound because Kickstarter does not know what the gently caress they are doing

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/128952/kickstarter-answers-questions-about-its-blockchain

Good. As a consumer I really like gamefound. Better UI, easy to pick upgrades, integrated surveys, great support.

I’d buy everything on gamefound over ks if offered the option

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
I really struggled with Sharp Fangs and thought it sucked. After reading a lot of advice, two things helped me get over the initial learning hurdle:

1. You want to be hitting the left innate as much as possible. It helps clear lands before they get too big and repositions beasts for your other powers. It gets much easier to consistently hit it if you get the first two top track elements and/or pick up one or two minors with animal/plant.

2. Don’t be afraid to use the special rule to replace your presence with beasts. I thought it was terrible, but once you actually try it you’ll be surprised how much it helps.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Yeah I usually replace a presence every turn with Fangs unless I have a really compelling reason not to. Left innate is basically essential to do well, but I still really struggle with it against Habsburg 6 cos of needing blight to be able to do anything but then it blocks your left innate, or England 6 where I just can't find a way to put out enough damage for their crazy amount of builds. It's one of only a few spirits that seems to have certain hard counters, but maybe I still just haven't mastered it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Once you're in 6+ level adversary territory you're going to really feel it if your spirit isn't an especially strong match up, but especially in a team context all of them are eventually doable. Sometimes Fangs needs to lean in more to its secondary role as a fear spirit, it's easy to lose sight of that when you can chomp down on colonists so easily against most early adversaries.

Learning to let go and let the fear deck solve a problem you can't is also something fangs and other fear spirits wind up doing on higher difficulties. It helps a lot that fangs can maneuver beasts into position because of that - it can play the odds and set up a troublesome region for success on decent odds for a good fear card.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 22, 2022

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Played a game that I picked up on sale a while ago but never opened, Coal Baron from Kiesling and Kramer.

Lads, this was good. Couldn't believe how nicely it played. Solid MWE on the lighter side but with plenty of decision space. Crux of the game is action selection on the main board with the central gimmick being that you can go where anyone else put a worker but you have to pay one more worker for the space than whatever was there previously. So things get progressively more expensive.

And then in your personal mine-shaft/board you are adding more tunnels/mine carts with one of four types of coal that you need to send an adorable elevator down and grab, each stage of the process requiring action points that you again grab from a space on the main board.

You're doing all this to fulfill contracts and there are three scoring rounds with progressively more and more things being scored based on the majorities like, who has fulfilled the most yellow coal contracts and contracts that require trains and so on. Obviously some more to it but this is the gist.

Overall, plays super quickly, lots of fun and tough decisions to make, and you're always left with a "Oh man, if only I had just ONE MORE worker I could do this..." feeling. Really impressed and surprised it's flown below the radar because frankly it does more in a little package than most other Euros do with a fifteen minute set up and hour long rule break down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I really adore Nauticus and that feels similar in terms of the feel of K&K fast setup fast euro crunchy decisions no one knows about it.