Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fruits of the sea posted:

I think it has a lot more to do with relative wealth and level of education. Case in point: England making a big noise about welcoming Hong Kong residents.

That's not to say they won't shoot themselves in the foot and make barriers for educated immigrants if they think it will score points with the base.
English politicians. The English Brexit voters are not fans of replacing Polish immigrants with non-European immigrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Willo567 posted:

I get people being worried about a big war, but calling it WW3 is really hyperbolic and dangerous as poo poo

How is it dangerous? That possibility has been expressly removed from the table by anyone able to bring that about, outside of maybe Russia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Russian MoFA has published a chaser for Putin’s meltdown. https://www.mid.ru/ru/foreign_policy/news/1799883/

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

pippy posted:

How is it dangerous? That possibility has been expressly removed from the table by anyone able to bring that about, outside of maybe Russia.

Because there a lot of people who don't normally follow Eastern Europe politics who are now because of the crisis, and people talking about WW3 alongside the crisis to those uninformed just brings out more misinformation.

Also why would Putin want to start WW3?

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Gort posted:

Wonder if Germany will turn its nuclear reactors back on, that'd help

As long as they don't gently caress around with the Winden plant

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Your country is absolutely not entering the conflict to any extent more substantial than sending some rockets via PostNord.

If only, then they wouldn't arrive :v:

We've already ordered KDS Esbern Snare to Russian waters, so it may not be our decision any longer.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
There's one semi-major Polish political party that speaks out openly against Ukrainian immigration, and they have 5-8% of the vote at best. Nobody cares about refugees as long as they're not brown.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
where can i watch putins crazy rant w subtitles?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Ukrainians will have an easier time integrating into society because of their whiteness, Ukrainians will maybe get away with some nasty remarks every now and then until it's forgotten and they're integrated properly. This is something that middle easterners can never properly do because no matter what they do they're perceived as others because of the colour of their skin.

I know people that have lived here they're entire lives that still feel othered and discriminated against just because their parents are middle easterners. I've also known people with eastern european parents that suffer no discrimination whatsoever.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

EU has a sanctions vote scheduled for this "afternoon". Preliminary expectations are that Hungary may derail it.

Tias posted:

We've already ordered KDS Esbern Snare to Russian waters, so it may not be our decision any longer.

I think you're sensationalizing the situation around whatever your navy is doing.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Willo567 posted:

Also why would Putin want to start WW3?

There’s no rational reason. But yesterday’s Putin speech didn’t sound very rational. And prior major conflicts started small with nobody involved /intending/ to start a wider word war.

It’s hard to speculate on the downside risks of the current situation without tumbling down a ClancyPost slippery slope. I respect that the media and posters ITT would all do best to avoid it, at the same time I believe the unlikely nightmare scenarios all got a little more likely over the past 24 hours.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

EU has a sanctions vote scheduled for this "afternoon". Preliminary expectations are that Hungary may derail it.

There is some interesting stuff in there, hope they make it through the Commission. Among them there is a ban on trading Russian state bonds and sanctions against 350 of the Duma members who voted for recognition.

Tias
May 25, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think you're sensationalizing the situation around whatever your navy is doing.

Not as such, I'm just saying placing our warship in Russias path may lead to shooting if that's how Russia plays it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

I'm only seeing mediocre dubs so far.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

coelomate posted:

There’s no rational reason. But yesterday’s Putin speech didn’t sound very rational. And prior major conflicts started small with nobody involved /intending/ to start a wider word war.

It’s hard to speculate on the downside risks of the current situation without tumbling down a ClancyPost slippery slope. I respect that the media and posters ITT would all do best to avoid it, at the same time I believe the unlikely nightmare scenarios all got a little more likely over the past 24 hours.

Do you honestly think Putin wants to be living in a nuclear wasteland? Putin is a criminal and a horrific piece of absolute dog poo poo, but he isn't irrational, and I don't think he's going to nuke anyone for loving sanctions

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tias posted:

I mean, Denmark is probably going to be providing some materiel and logistics support by way of NATO but a worst case scenario of shots being fired would be a gently caress up by everybody involved and lead to a lot of patriotic rhetoric but not much else.

E:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

English politicians. The English Brexit voters are not fans of replacing Polish immigrants with non-European immigrants.

Yeah, I didn't make the distinction clear enough

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 22, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Kamrat posted:

I know people that have lived here they're entire lives that still feel othered and discriminated against just because their parents are middle easterners. I've also known people with eastern european parents that suffer no discrimination whatsoever.

That's true about second generation, especially if they have an "acceptable" first name, place of birth, language skills, accent and passport (the more of the listed the better).

But first generation migrants can have a harder time, particularly if they have trouble with the local language.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 22, 2022

Tias
May 25, 2008

I mean, Denmark is probably going to be providing some materiel and logistics support by way of NATO but a worst case scenario of shots being fired would be a gently caress up by everybody involved and lead to a lot of patriotic rhetoric but not much else.

That's my hope as well, but it's pretty hard to get any solid information at the moment.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If Putin's worldview is that Russia is already under attack from a West that is determined to strip away its clients and collapse the state then his calculation of when to use force is going to be very different from what anyone in this thread assumes is sensible.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 22, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

e: double post somehow

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That's because nothing has happened yet. I mean, there's lots of reason to worry but it should be directed at Ukrainian citizens and turbofucking our energy economy/inflation.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tias posted:

That's my hope as well, but it's pretty hard to get any solid information at the moment.

Dude. Our dumb scandinavian countries are NOT getting into a shooting war over this.

Even if they shoot at your dumb boat.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 22, 2022

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Alchenar posted:

If Putin's worldview is that Russia is already under attack from a West that is determined to strip away its clients and collapse the state then his calculation of when to use force is going to be very different from what anyone in this thread assumes is sensible.

What type of force would be the most likely?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I think the racism towards Ukrainians in Poland is not as strong as towards, say, muslims or people with dark skin. When it shows up, it’s more along the lines of “they should speak out language in a public place!” and most of the time I see Ukrainians in Warsaw being really quiet.

The thing is Ukrainians are pretty much indistinguishable on the street from Poles, and they’re no pushovers either, and the local pato-patriots tend to go after women or men who are alone or visibly unable to defend against a larger group.

Ukrainians have lived and worked here for many years, and you don’t hear much about their criminal activities , unlike other nationalities from middle Asia.

I would’ve overestimate the amount of resentment for Ukrainian WWII atrocities. I myself come from a half-Polish, half-Ukrainian family, where the Polish side was murdered by the Ukrainian side, save for a for children that ran away in time, and absolutely no one harbors resentment to modern day Ukrainians for it, even if they have opinions (tm) about Banderism.

peej
Apr 10, 2009

bump_fn posted:

Official Russian transcript is here:

http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/67828

Not to downplay how unhinged the speech was, but Is this the reference to hunting people down everyone was talking about? it's pretty specifically not about hunting down undesirables or even Ukrainian leadership.

Vladimir Vladimirovich posted:

One shudders at the memories of the terrible tragedy in Odessa, where peaceful protesters were brutally murdered, burned alive in the House of Trade Unions. The criminals who committed that atrocity have never been punished, and no one is even looking for them. But we know their names and we will do everything to punish them, find them and bring them to justice.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The first bulleted companion article "How much Russian money is there in the UK?" made me chuckle.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

This isn't going to happen, there is no nuclear strategy to the ongoing Ukraine crisis.

Then why are people so worried about the situation escalating into WW3, and calling Putin unhinged?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Willo567 posted:

Then why are people so worried about the situation escalating into WW3, and calling Putin unhinged?

Because media wants clickbait. No one sane is worried about this escalating in WW3.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Flavahbeast posted:

The thing is, a lot of them truly believed that the threat of Putin invading was nonsense drummed up by Biden. Some are re-evaluating things after his speech today.

Joe Biden the president who ended the forever war over the objections of half the generals as secret warmonger never made any sense and the people who thought it did can be safely ignored.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

A quick and dirty google search suggests Ukraine probably does have them and they aren't a signatory to any bans on using them, which given the current situation was probably the smart (if morally unpleasant to high-minded types not facing a Russian invasion) decision.

Ukraine is a signatory to the Ottawa treaty against anti-personnel mines, but Russia is not. So Russia uses a lot of them, and at the very least Ukrainian soldiers have been known to use more improvised mining with grenades and such, and less than thorough previous compliance with destruction requirements would not be surprising.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I was the one expressing incredulousness at Britain and other western powers actually putting their money where their mouth is. I’ll admit this is a good start. Hopefully they continue to clamp down on the dirty money. We’ll see

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I was the one expressing incredulousness at Britain and other western powers actually putting their money where their mouth is. I’ll admit this is a good start. Hopefully they continue to clamp down on the dirty money. We’ll see

The cynical choice is to just shift more of their banking and golden visa schemes to the British Overseas Territories. It's not hard, the Caymans and Virgin Islands are already doing a lot of business with foreign money.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

peej posted:

Official Russian transcript is here:

http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/67828

Not to downplay how unhinged the speech was, but Is this the reference to hunting people down everyone was talking about? it's pretty specifically not about hunting down undesirables or even Ukrainian leadership.

The original discussion was prompted by this tweet:

OddObserver posted:

Can folks confirm this quote:
https://twitter.com/benpauker/status/1495837757356318722?cxt=HHwWhIC5jfugpMIpAAAA

(...I am not going to subject myself to the speech itself).

I'm checking the original video in Russian now, and Ben was either served a lovely translation, or was deliberately misquoting Putin. The transcript is accurate, in literary sense.

That said, Putin's presented account of clashes in Odessa is a very deliberate misrepresentation of events, which is why I reckon that no one who watched this in Russian was particularly contesting that tweet, as functionally that still is a list of targets, and Russian authorities will easily fabricate everything else they need for making the ends of their own narrative meet. Just as they've done for decades domestically and in ealier conflicts.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 22, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

As in, it’s very reasonable to expect that minister of interior at the time, and a list of other arbitrary figures related to the revolution or early government, will be the “responsible criminals” here.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah it's a bit of 'if you have names of rioters responsible for deaths and evidence proving guilt, why aren't you just naming names and sharing it?'

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

I think it has a lot more to do with relative wealth and level of education. Case in point: England making a big noise about welcoming Hong Kong residents.

That's exactly what it was - noise. The current UK government of Boris Johnson is literally as reliable and trustworthy as Donald Trump's government was. That's not an exaggeration. They won't actually do anything about, well, anything, just like they didn't actually do anything about Hong Kong residents

Re: Russia, would be nice to have some proper UK sanctions against Russia over Ukraine, but the likelihood of that is pretty much zero, given that rich Russians own huge chunks of the country, of London and of the Conservative Party. Putin also conducts his "let's murder dissidents" operations in London with complete impunity, see e.g. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-56695489

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

Willo567 posted:

Because there a lot of people who don't normally follow Eastern Europe politics who are now because of the crisis, and people talking about WW3 alongside the crisis to those uninformed just brings out more misinformation.
The reason I'm against this framing is that Russia is using this logic to justify their invasion of Ukraine. The Russian narrative is that the US/NATO is encouraging conflict to happen by pointing out that Russia was likely to invade. Saying that "war is highly likely" is harmful if you're the one initiating the war, but that logic doesn't work when you're working to prevent it. At worst, you end up being wrong.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Are there reliable print transcripts of the speech around yet? I found I didn't much want to watch Putin as he spoke.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

If the Tories can get more money out of this than what Putin is currently ''gifting'' to the Conservative Party then they will go for it, a win, win for them. :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Willo567 posted:

Because clickbait. The US and NATO have already said they are not going to militarily intervene in Ukraine's favor. Putin's speech was unhinged because of the premise and things he said, not because he threatened nuclear war.