Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Sally posted:

pretty sure you can turn that off in the settings.

Jesus that game has enough misleading ledges, gently caress that give me bird poo poo

edit: gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PYF little things in games: gently caress that give me bird poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yellow paint is all the rage these days, when birds learn to poo poo yellow paint then they can go back to being the indicator for mantling

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Metroid Dread has a bunch of nice little animations. If you shoot through a vent that's about at chest level, Samus will put her hand up and lean on the wall a bit while she's shooting.

Also the sequence leading up to the varia suit is very well done, just "ohfuckohfuckohfuck."

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Recently i’ve been playing the old God of war games (and even played through both psp games for the first time.)

From the moment you get control of Kratos in the first game he’s a monumental colossal thundering arsehole and it’s brilliant.

Just constantly yelling every word,scowling at everything,being betrayed by the gods every five seconds and then killing them and then repeating the above.

Also killing innocent people even when he really could very easily not,including his own soldiers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hel posted:

WTF? how the hell do you press buttons like that?

You rest your thumb so that the joint of your thumb hits the "low" button in the cross-section, and use the top part of your thumb to hit the "high" button. Then tilt or move the top part of your thumb to hit the left and right buttons in the cross-section. Same as how you use a D-Pad with your left thumb :shrug:.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Recently i’ve been playing the old God of war games (and even played through both psp games for the first time.)

From the moment you get control of Kratos in the first game he’s a monumental colossal thundering arsehole and it’s brilliant.

Just constantly yelling every word,scowling at everything,being betrayed by the gods every five seconds and then killing them and then repeating the above.

Also killing innocent people even when he really could very easily not,including his own soldiers.

Yeah, it fuckin rules.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

my favorite little thing in games is the SNES controller, the only one of the exact form and size to fit perfectly in my lil hands (I guess the NES dogbone would fit well too but I've never held one)- most other ones are usable but are usually too thick from back to front to be comfy
the ps3 controller in particular just wants to zoop up and out of my grasp whenever I use the triggers

forever bless, the SNES controller, pictured respendent in its modern form

(e: 8bitdo makes a cooler one but i do not have 8bitdo money, i have iBuffalo knockoff money)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You rest your thumb so that the joint of your thumb hits the "low" button in the cross-section, and use the top part of your thumb to hit the "high" button. Then tilt or move the top part of your thumb to hit the left and right buttons in the cross-section. Same as how you use a D-Pad with your left thumb :shrug:.

I'm sorry but I'm still confused. Do you mean like this:

Or like this:

Because either of the makes the shoulder buttons very inaccessible and won't let me get a good grip on the controller.

Maybe I should just accept that you are all weird mutants doing your best to adapt to modern technology.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hel posted:

I'm sorry but I'm still confused. Do you mean like this:

Or like this:

Because either of the makes the shoulder buttons very inaccessible and won't let me get a good grip on the controller.

Maybe I should just accept that you are all weird mutants doing your best to adapt to modern technology.

The first, and rest your index finger between the triggers so it can access either of them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I play games with the pinky on Shift, ring finger on A, middle finger on W, forefinger on D, and thumb on Spacebar.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
your hands are loving huge

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Please, take a cleaning wipe and go over that controller a few times :negative:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Peanut Butler posted:

my favorite little thing in games is the SNES controller, the only one of the exact form and size to fit perfectly in my lil hands (I guess the NES dogbone would fit well too but I've never held one)- most other ones are usable but are usually too thick from back to front to be comfy
the ps3 controller in particular just wants to zoop up and out of my grasp whenever I use the triggers

i'm on the opposite end, with giant meat paws that fully envelope most computer mice and make a dualshock 4 look like a toy. I basically did the same thing you did and found a usb version of the best controller to ever fit in my hands, the classic xbox duke

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Giant hand high-five, buddy

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Leal posted:

Please, take a cleaning wipe and go over that controller a few times :negative:

Yeah, or at least do something to clean off that controller goop.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Wiimote pointer and nunchuck seems like the closest mainstream equivalent to mouse+joystick.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Wiimote pointer and nunchuck seems like the closest mainstream equivalent to mouse+joystick.

also both extremely good lil-hand controller setups

best part about the nunchuck setup was that you could just lounge around with your hands wherever while playing

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The first, and rest your index finger between the triggers so it can access either of them.

I literally can't reach from that position, because it forces my hand too far back, and of I use my middle finger the controller almost drops because my ring and pinky finger are too far back to support it.

Philippe posted:

I play games with the pinky on Shift, ring finger on A, middle finger on W, forefinger on D, and thumb on Spacebar.

I use left shift to strafe left and right shift to strafe right. Because you are shifting your character left and right. That's much better function naming than X confirm and O cancel, checkmate Sony.
That also leaves my palm in the perfect place to hit the space bar for jumping.
See it's perfect :

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hel posted:

I literally can't reach from that position, because it forces my hand too far back, and of I use my middle finger the controller almost drops because my ring and pinky finger are too far back to support it.

I use left shift to strafe left and right shift to strafe right. Because you are shifting your character left and right. That's much better function naming than X confirm and O cancel, checkmate Sony.
See it's perfect :

Curl your index finger around the R1/R2 trigger area and use the middle part of your index finger then rather than the tip to click it in from the side of the button.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Curl your index finger around the R1/R2 trigger area and use the middle part of your index finger then rather than the tip to click it in from the side of the button.

But that would force my thumb out if the required position, invalidating the whole exercise.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Peanut Butler posted:

also both extremely good lil-hand controller setups

best part about the nunchuck setup was that you could just lounge around with your hands wherever while playing

I know, right? The Joy-cons at least bring that back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hel posted:

But that would force my thumb out if the required position, invalidating the whole exercise.

:confused:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Philippe posted:

Giant hand high-five, buddy

PYF little things giant hands in games

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

That's not how you described it
:colbert:
That's just my original position with the thumb in the center.

You know this one:

Hel posted:

What? How?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I know, right? The Joy-cons at least bring that back.

I've only used a friend's Switch so I haven't been able to do like a four-hour solo couch session but yeah that came to mind

Hel posted:

See it's perfect :

my favorite thing about keyboard controls is that you can press ctrl with the underside of your left lowermost pinky knuckle, like it's a sixth fingertip
nothing else I've used quite enables that kind of thing

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'm not like all you wishy-washy weirdos. When I press a face button I go full-on with the thumb because I commit

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm left handed so when playing Wii games i've settled into a weird pattern where I hold the wimote in my left hand, the nunchuck in my right and then sit with my wrists crossed, because it feels weird to hold the wiimote in my non-dominant hand but most controls assume you are holding the remote with your right hand, so it makes motion combat weird.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tip of the thumb for buttons and index fingers only for the triggers because I am a caveman who loves videogames

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you asked me with which style I prefer to hold a computer mouse, it would be the lesser known Infuriating Chicken-Wing grip, because my arm just curls into that posture on its own and makes it hard to draw in straight lines. It turns out drawing hands is not that hard. Drawing with your hands is what people mean.

edit: Eventually this will devolve into talking about holding writing implements and simple tools. How do you hold chopsticks? More importantly, why do you hold chopsticks?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Real gamers hold one chopstick in each hand.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Philippe posted:

Look at this chump who isn't using mandible style.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i hold my chopsticks as the gods intended: one in each hand.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Philippe posted:

My dad holds his chopsticks southpaw, in that he holds them in his fists like screwdrivers and kebabs the food to eat it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sally posted:

i hold my chopsticks as the gods intended: one in each hand.

So this is how my father finally reveals his account name. it's not true. it's impossible!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
search your feelings

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the "c" stands for "cally"

(soft c)

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I still remember as a small child setting a game's keyboard controls up with "L" for left, "R" for right, and "J" for jump, and then being confused as to why the game was so hard to control.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Whybird posted:

I still remember as a small child setting a game's keyboard controls up with "L" for left, "R" for right, and "J" for jump, and then being confused as to why the game was so hard to control.

Lmfao. That's perfect child logic too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

started playing ac: odyssey and in addition to all the things people have mentioned a million times (it's a good game yo) i appreciate how much more fun it became once i realized i could change the controls so i didn't have to use the shoulder buttons to attack.

i'm old and light attack must be X and heavy attack must be Y and dodge must be A, there is no other way