Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

At this point just make it a cabover and get more usable cargo/passenger space. The engine isn't six foot tall, there's just a whole lot of wasted space under that hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Rhyno posted:

The Maverick is just perfectly sized. I'd love to see them do a single cab version.

Yes someone please make a single cab pickup again. Do you want me to beg? I will if it will help.

Powershift posted:

At least with the Yukon they morphed it into a van so slowly and subtly none of the owners noticed.

Are almost all SUVs and crossovers mini vans with different bodies and a larger price tag?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Scratch Monkey posted:

Yes someone please make a single cab pickup again. Do you want me to beg? I will if it will help.

Are almost all SUVs and crossovers mini vans with different bodies and a larger price tag?

No, quite a lot of the crossovers are just hatchbacks with a taller body and a larger price tag.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

powerful american damping

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Have you sat in a single cab Hilux or Ranger? They aren't exactly comfortable and there is a reason they've fallen out of favour

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

I don't want comfort. If I wanted comfort I'd get something built for comfort. I want bed space. I want utility. I want all the things pickup trucks were meant for.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I mean they make a 2 door Bronco which I never thought I would ever see.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Scratch Monkey posted:

I don't want comfort. If I wanted comfort I'd get something built for comfort. I want bed space. I want utility. I want all the things pickup trucks were meant for.

Unfortunately, you represent about 1% of the market of people buying trucks right now. Almost no one hauls anything with them; their utility is as a symbol not for doing anything.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Scratch Monkey posted:

It's funny, single cab, 6ft bed pickups have become as noticeable to me now as any kind of exotic or sports car or something like that. I'm just as likely to turn my head to eye gently caress a 2010 short bed single cab 1500 as I am to do the same for a Lambo or something.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Scratch Monkey posted:

Hope you got dental insurance.

E: I thought you were the goon in the OSHA thread that posted about wanting everything to be a cabover.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 22, 2022

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

They used to make 2 door access cabs with 8 foot beds which are basically what I think almost everyone wants out of a work or utility truck. Just a little extra room in back so you ahve some more interior cab room and can, in a desperate situation, toss a kid or adult sideways back there and the full 8 foot bed for useful stuff.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Scratch Monkey posted:

Buy a van.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bigbillystyle posted:

It's funny, single cab, 6ft bed pickups have become as noticeable to me now as any kind of exotic or sports car or something like that. I'm just as likely to turn my head to eye gently caress a 2010 short bed single cab 1500 as I am to do the same for a Lambo or something.

Single cab, 8ft bed here. Dodge made gently caress tons of the things, and they're still a rare sight here where things don't rust. Even the newer rentals get sold outside of the state.

Best combo, IMO. Great for towing, 6ft left in the bed with a toolbox, wonderful visibility, and they gave you the 35gal tank. Plus, you have an excuse not to shuttle people around, "Sorry, only two seats unless someone wants to ride bitch."

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

adaz posted:

and can, in a desperate situation, toss a kid or adult sideways back there

I know a few people who would love a good excuse to never have to give anyone a ride

Also it’s easier to be like “all I need is me and my dog”

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ford still makes single cab F-150s with 8' beds.

But it's not Maverick sized.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What would such a vehicle be useful for.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

they are great work and farm trucks. also tend to be a tiny bit cheaper - or at least used to be - than the access/extended cabs.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

Yeah but if you get whatever they call the next size up cab then you get the same tray area and can actually recline the drivers seat to a comfortable angle

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm not sure if I like baby truck or long long truck better.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fame Douglas posted:

What would such a vehicle be useful for.

Are you joking?

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
One of the big downsides of losing Holden and Ford in Australia has been that nobody else makes anything like a Falcon Ute anymore. It's all massive Rangers, Hiluxes, Amaroks etc which don't have as big a tray, use way more petrol and cost double the price.

I used to drive a basic AUIII ute and it was easy to get stuff in and out of, easy to park in narrow streets/car parks and just generally incredibly usable. Decent towing capacity as well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

You can still get a single cab Hilux and put a tray body on, just it's not the stylish one so no one bothers. Should be significantly more economical than an old Falcon too.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
really something to be said for throwing receipts/napkins/beer cans over your shoulder into the “extended” part of th cab

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Zero One posted:

I'm not sure if I like baby truck or long long truck better.

If you swap the cabs around you get an extra long bed with room for a side loading ramp

I miss the photo chop shop thread.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Zero One posted:

Ford still makes single cab F-150s with 8' beds.

But it's not Maverick sized.

the way the hood line is higher than the window beltline/tray top is making me retch

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Unfortunately, you represent about 1% of the market of people buying trucks right now. Almost no one hauls anything with them; their utility is as a symbol not for doing anything.

Exactly. Trucks are fashion accessories and status symbols. Everyone knows vans are far superior hauling vehicles.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Photoshop that so it's all bed.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Collateral Damage posted:

Photoshop that so it's all bed.

That would be something like this little chap

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

bad_fmr posted:

Exactly. Trucks are fashion accessories and status symbols. Everyone knows vans are far superior hauling vehicles.

Vans are harder to load things into and you can’t carry things taller than the roof. Also the rear visibility isn’t as good. The best use case for vans is transporting punk bands, not gravel or wood etc

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Scratch Monkey posted:

Vans are harder to load things into and you can’t carry things taller than the roof. Also the rear visibility isn’t as good. The best use case for vans is transporting punk bands, not gravel or wood etc

Seems to me it's way harder to load wood or gravel into a truck bed? Also, you can't carry tall things with a pickup truck, either. And with a van, you have the option of installing a roof rack for even more utility.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

With a pickup you can just dump the gravel in from the side using a loader or something, and when you unload you can stand up straight in the bed and shovel it out. Can’t do either of those things in a van

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My old work van had a tail lift. And I could leave stuff in the back without people seeing what it was or just being able to lean in and take whatever they wanted without having to buy a locking box for it. "but you can put a topper on it!" cool you've just turned your truck into a really poo poo van. :v:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Scratch Monkey posted:

With a pickup you can just dump the gravel in from the side using a loader or something, and when you unload you can stand up straight in the bed and shovel it out. Can’t do either of those things in a van

Does that ever happen outside of truck owner fantasies? Pretty sure people use trailers you can tilt for that kind of transport. Dumping gravel into a truck bed seems very ill-advised.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

Truck bed is at almost double the height from ground than van floors. How is that easier to load stuff into?
Also, you can tie and fasten stuff to vans inside walls and roof, so actually transporting taller things is much easier. They just have to fit in, of course. For example the Ducato/Promaster has interior height of 76 inches. If you would put something that high on the bed of a say F250 it would be over 9 feet high contraption.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Perfection.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I know you weren't posting it for submission to this thread, but wrong thread for sure. What an adorable box on wheels. :3:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Fame Douglas posted:

Does that ever happen outside of truck owner fantasies? Pretty sure people use trailers you can tilt for that kind of transport. Dumping gravel into a truck bed seems very ill-advised.

I have done it with mulch a bunch of times.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Yea if you actually need to transport lots of gravel or dirt you want to have something with a tilt. Something like this maybe

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When I clearcut, graded, filled, and seeded my back yard, most gravel/soil places offered transport if you needed more than a few yards of fill. I ended up needing like 250 yards of fill so they just ferried a 3 axle back and forth all day. After seeing how beat up the commercial dump truck got I wouldn't want to get a pick up anywhere near that.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I've always said that theres not a thing a truck can do that a proper van can't do better! I guess trucks are better offroad in general but you can get offroad vans as well.
Trucks are better for cruising around town lifted and chromed out doing 15 mph because otherwise the truck shakes itself apart!

I'm waiting on tricked out vans to cruise around town to become a thing though!