Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

RocketMermaid posted:

As useful as the o_C Hemispheres firmware is, I don't understand how people can sacrifice incredible things like Viznutcracker and Harrington 1200 and Quantermain for it.

For me it was that I never even got into those because it never left envelope/LFO. I do my generative stuff w/ more pencil and paper than stuff so the latter two things were very cool for me but ultimately didn't get me closer to producing the kind of music I want to make. Hemispheres gives me 2 channels of cv modulation and 2 of other stuff (it also has a quantizer) and I mean thats just incredibly hp/power efficient.

I also rock a couple of more broken-out analog LFSRs on my main generative setup and this is dumb but I have a mental block that says transistor based randomness is fundamentally better than calling RNG code wrt my creative process so again... those parts of O+C are cool but not the cool poo poo that makes it a must for me.

To me the beauty of this module is 3-4 people could insist it's absolutely essential to their process, and be talking about completely distinct handfuls of modes.

e: also hemispheres has some functionality that the main one doesn't (without getting in to the synergy of cross patching 2 different modes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Mine has been flashed with hemispheres pretty much since I got it... thinking I should go back to the stock firmware and give it a proper shot. If like to be able to use it as a proper sequencer!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

nominal posted:

Welcome to the Zoia club! I really enjoy mine but also feel like I need to spend a lot more time with it to really get the full potential out of it, I've mostly just done some minor generative noodling.

Here's a useful thing I slept on for the longest:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bDqMHjLc4GCYtf2yGNHgjkDqQJ6zrRVuCZohJdKkWWc/edit#heading=h.q5vs239544xz

Christopher Jacques is pretty much an absolute sorcerer with the Zoia and you can also catch him livestreaming generative patches on youtube Saturday mornings, I learn something new that the Zoia can do pretty much every time I tune in

Oh awesome, thanks! My initial use for it is less synth-y and more as an effects unit, primarily for doing ambient stuff using a guitar with an ebow. I'm doing that in a context of a very synth-heavy collective, though, so if I happen to make some bleeps and bloops out of it they will be very much in their element.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

How cramped would working with a 1u Ornament and Crime be? Been thinking of picking up one

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Cross-posting from the DIY thread, I'm prepared to turn it into a project but if anyone has info, or a way to get a reasonably priced commercial one, I'd definitely appreciate it.

So I got my hands on my childhood NES and SNES, and I was thinking about finding a way to control the sound chip via midi. Looking around I've found a few defunct/sold out manufacturers of cartridges with midi adapters attached, that also seem to go for pretty marked up used prices. Does anyone know of any diy plans for making one? I imagine it could be done fairly easily using arduino, but I don't know anything about how to make it play nice with an NES or SNES sound chip, and honestly I'd rather follow a design than try to figure one out myself.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

toadee posted:

How cramped would working with a 1u Ornament and Crime be? Been thinking of picking up one

It's the equivalent of 2 knobs and 4 buttons, I don't know how the 1u lays them out but I think it depends how you're using it. I find a lot of the hemispheres stuff I kind of set and forget, if you're planning on tweaking a lot it might be hard work.

E: Just looked it up and it seems kinda annoying that the encoders are on either side of the screen. Still, probably not any worse than the uo_c

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ntrq is a tracker that runs on the nes. d/ls for it still work even though it hasn't been touched in 10 years.

https://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/24723/nes-audio-tools-make-music-using-your-nes/

the first thing you will need for either system is a flash cart. everdrives are the go to but I guess between covid and saber rattling the supply is scarce. the retrogames thread in the games forum is probably the best place to ask.

plouge makes a pretty nice snes vst which might be a better place to start with the snes than hardware

https://www.plogue.com/products/chipsynth-sfc.html

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Digital patch memory for the volca modular and Bastl Kastle.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

while we're on ornaments chat, one of my endless encoders rolls back/skips around a bit when changing value. The physical encoder itself doesn't move, its just the signal being sent or whatever. This would be a hardware issue right? Any easy ideas on how to fix? It was built in America and I'm in Australia so sending it back isbnot an option lol.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

RocketMermaid posted:

Awesome!

As useful as the o_C Hemispheres firmware is, I don't understand how people can sacrifice incredible things like Viznutcracker and Harrington 1200 and Quantermain for it.

That's why you get 3!
O&C
Hemispheres
Temps Utile

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

field balm posted:

while we're on ornaments chat, one of my endless encoders rolls back/skips around a bit when changing value. The physical encoder itself doesn't move, its just the signal being sent or whatever. This would be a hardware issue right? Any easy ideas on how to fix? It was built in America and I'm in Australia so sending it back isbnot an option lol.

Waldorf Blofelds had this problem and the solution was to add capacitors. Since this isn’t a universal issue with O&Cs, I’m going to guess that something isn’t soldered right.

If you’re comfortable with taking it apart and using a soldering iron, you could try reflowing the encoder and a bunch of the capacitors and resistors around it. I’m pretty sure it’s more likely a poorly soldered capacitor than anything else. Use flux and an iron whose temperature you can control, not one of those cheap ones that are just either on or off.

If that doesn’t work, you’ll need to do some research and trace the path from the encoder to all the ICs it goes to, and reflow every capacitor/resistor you didn’t already hit and then the IC pins that go to the encoder. Also, maybe check for bridges, especially between IC pins (I feel like that’s less likely and if you did have a bridge, the behavior/malfunction would be more extreme).

If even all that doesn’t work, then it might mean it’s a bad encoder, which would mean replacing it, but I’d advise against that and just live with the jitter. A lot of these Creative Commons PCBs are kind of poo poo and the pads tend to fall off if you try desoldering something in my experience.

With these SMT boards, it’s more likely that a solder connection needs rework than it is that any of the hardware is actually faulty.

It sucks that you paid for a built one and it arrived like this, though.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
It's open source too no? Might be worth a shot to see if there's a software debounce to adjust. (dumb ones are timers you can turn up a bit)
Whether a software build chain is easier for one than a desoldering station I can't know :v:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Just jamming and having fun with BIA, Telharmonic and Viznutcracker, Sweet!: https://soundcloud.com/rocketmermaid/nerve-reactor

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I just finished the second installment in my planned series of hardware one-synth challenges. This one uses one of my Rev. 4 Roland MKS-80s. I programmed 8 original patches on the device with the aid of the KiwiTechnics Patch Editor. Due to the large number of MKS-80 parameters, the patch editor has to spread them across two different "pages," so most of the device's physical controls map to more than one MKS-80 parameter, based on the page. I made a "map" of MKS-80 controls that let me cross-reference the numbered parameters from the Roland manual to the Patch Editor. I used the MKS-80 for all melodic parts, a custom NI Battery kit for drums, a couple custom Massive patches for risers, and a Kontakt instrument for a single impact sound in the chorus. For mixing I used effects plugins from Steinberg, Waves, Sound Toys, and Eventide. There are additional notes about the MKS-80 and the programming effort in the video.

This is actually the sixth version of this particular song I've recorded, although it's the first-ever one done with professional tools and modern production. (I originally wrote it when I was in high school, when I played all my parts live in a single take, while recording to cassette tape. Most of my early recordings are unlistenable.) The song is really named Simone, after my first girlfriend. I changed this version's title to "Five Weeks," since I post my tracks on Facebook, where I am FB friends with most of my exes, and most of them know about that girlfriend. There are lyrics and one day I'll add the vocals- but my main goal here was to feature the MKS-80, so I programmed a lead patch to carry the main melody.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORdA69wBr9A

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/ultimateoutsider/five-weeks-roland-mks-80-super-jupiter-demo-song

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Has anybody here ever used the Nerdseq sequencer? As somebody who got her start in Scream Tracker 3 and Impulse Tracker, carrying that demoscene history into Eurorack seems right up my alley, other than the price: https://xor-electronics.com/nerdseq/

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

RocketMermaid posted:

Has anybody here ever used the Nerdseq sequencer? As somebody who got her start in Scream Tracker 3 and Impulse Tracker, carrying that demoscene history into Eurorack seems right up my alley, other than the price: https://xor-electronics.com/nerdseq/
Yup. Got one with a bunch of expanders (more CV, more triggers, and the I/O expander), but not (at least not yet) the more recent video I/O expander that he showed off at Superbooth last year, which would give you an HDMI display and keyboard control of the unit as well. You might be able to find a set used for some decent-ish discount off new/retail price; that's what I happened to luck into, but I waited a while for that opportunity to pop up.

From what you said, I think we have the same basic attraction to the general concept of this sort of thing in "hardware", or at least are coming from similar places. Of the "hardware" tracker things I own now (NerdSEQ, Polyend, and Dirtywave), the NerdSEQ is the most tracker-like to me for what I think of or expect out of a generic label of calling something a "tracker", and certainly if you're working with Eurorack, NerdSEQ is the obvious choice versus, say, the Polyend (which doesn't have CV). Caveat: I just got the Dirtywave and still haven't F'd with it much.

Tangent: this is probably a bad analogy in a lot of ways, but I think of the Polyend as more like "the OP-1 of 'hardware' trackers", which is not necessarily a bad thing (I have an OP-1 and love it a lot). (One of the first things I did on the Polyend though was set it to display in hex. Otherwise it's like using HP calculators in algebraic mode... it just feels wrong.)

Depending on what you're expecting, the NerdSEQ may or may not disappoint. If you have the opportunity, I'd highly encourage you to go play with one in an Eurorack setup at your local friendly synth shop to see if it clicks with your tracker expectations. Feel free to ask me questions too and I'll do my best to answer.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

minidracula posted:

Yup. Got one with a bunch of expanders (more CV, more triggers, and the I/O expander), but not (at least not yet) the more recent video I/O expander that he showed off at Superbooth last year, which would give you an HDMI display and keyboard control of the unit as well. You might be able to find a set used for some decent-ish discount off new/retail price; that's what I happened to luck into, but I waited a while for that opportunity to pop up.

From what you said, I think we have the same basic attraction to the general concept of this sort of thing in "hardware", or at least are coming from similar places. Of the "hardware" tracker things I own now (NerdSEQ, Polyend, and Dirtywave), the NerdSEQ is the most tracker-like to me for what I think of or expect out of a generic label of calling something a "tracker", and certainly if you're working with Eurorack, NerdSEQ is the obvious choice versus, say, the Polyend (which doesn't have CV). Caveat: I just got the Dirtywave and still haven't F'd with it much.

Tangent: this is probably a bad analogy in a lot of ways, but I think of the Polyend as more like "the OP-1 of 'hardware' trackers", which is not necessarily a bad thing (I have an OP-1 and love it a lot). (One of the first things I did on the Polyend though was set it to display in hex. Otherwise it's like using HP calculators in algebraic mode... it just feels wrong.)

Depending on what you're expecting, the NerdSEQ may or may not disappoint. If you have the opportunity, I'd highly encourage you to go play with one in an Eurorack setup at your local friendly synth shop to see if it clicks with your tracker expectations. Feel free to ask me questions too and I'll do my best to answer.

My biggest question is, how easy is it to use with that tiny screen? I know it has the expander with the HDMI and keyboard breakouts, but I'm also wondering how much it loses, if anything, by having to function on a module-sized screen. I don't have any problems using my PNW or Ornament & Crime, but there's a lot more data to be displayed at once on the Nerdseq.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I really wanted a usb midi controller with some knobs and sliders, faderfox style (like the lv2 or lc2) but they're hilariously expensive and the one I want is discontinued and the resale price on those things is even more hilarious. So I figured it made much more sense to do it myself. It only took 2 months! But I saved almost $200 so it balances out, right?

It's teensy/arduino based, and the giant fluted knobs were a design requirement. Four pots, five faders, and two encoders. The acrylic was probably a mistake, it builds up grime and dust almost instantly but it was relatively cheap to get laser cut. If I get a bug about it in the future I'll figure out how to CAD a full enclosure and probably do it in wood.

Now I can wiggle a lot more things while making boops.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

a drill press and a router and you could probably do that yourself

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Last time I was looking behringer had a fancy one with motorized faders, but the only public documentation was a quick start guide. It was kinda weird that they wouldn't show what features it has or what customization you can do without dropping $500 on one

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

xzzy posted:

I really wanted a usb midi controller with some knobs and sliders, faderfox style (like the lv2 or lc2) but they're hilariously expensive and the one I want is discontinued and the resale price on those things is even more hilarious. So I figured it made much more sense to do it myself. It only took 2 months! But I saved almost $200 so it balances out, right?

It's teensy/arduino based, and the giant fluted knobs were a design requirement. Four pots, five faders, and two encoders. The acrylic was probably a mistake, it builds up grime and dust almost instantly but it was relatively cheap to get laser cut. If I get a bug about it in the future I'll figure out how to CAD a full enclosure and probably do it in wood.

Nice work. I went the entry level :effort: route and got a korg nanokontrol2. It works ok for fading mixer channels in and out in VCV rack, and alright for assigning knobs for tweaking. They do seem to have a bit of a dead spot at either end of travel, and a pretty flimsy feel.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

That's nice, do you have any more pics of it? Nice work.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
RMR has just started a Eurorack for beginners series using VCV rack and this is exactly what I've been looking for over the past week. I really enjoy his videos, he has a great way of presenting things and explaining them without it feeling like the content is impenetrable to people who are just starting out with with synths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTcP3DofZLY

xzzy posted:

This is extremely cool, I would also like further pictures, especially of the build process!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

brand engager posted:

Last time I was looking behringer had a fancy one with motorized faders, but the only public documentation was a quick start guide. It was kinda weird that they wouldn't show what features it has or what customization you can do without dropping $500 on one

It was one of the most original, useful, and interesting things they ever made so of course they discontinued it. Just another ahead of it's time kind of controller, many such cases.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Coolnezzz posted:

RMR has just started a Eurorack for beginners series using VCV rack and this is exactly what I've been looking for over the past week. I really enjoy his videos, he has a great way of presenting things and explaining them without it feeling like the content is impenetrable to people who are just starting out with with synths.

Seconding this. Jeremy's stuff is great.

If you're looking for a little more in depth about how certain modules work, and some more patching ideas for vcv rack, as well as more beginner friendly videos, I've enjoyed Omri Cohen's videos

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Coolnezzz posted:

This is extremely cool, I would also like further pictures, especially of the build process!

There's really not much to tell, I didn't take many pictures. Here's the guts:

The details were mostly lots of googling and rooting around in digikey's inventory to find components. Not super thrilled with my wiring job but for a first timer I'll deal. The code was insanely easy, teensy has a great midi library that does all the work, you can read pots then send the value over midi with a single line of code. The hardest part was exporting the laser cutting from freecad, it took three iterations before the file I sent to the service was accepted by them. So that was an annoying learning curve.

The Voice of Labor posted:

a drill press and a router and you could probably do that yourself

I get this urge every so often to build up a collection of power tools (also 3d printing) but I only do projects every couple years. It feels more economical and earth friendly to pay someone to make it for me. It's also more space friendly, we aren't in a large place.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Much as I make noise about hating using a computer for audio stuff, I've been playing with https://dsp56300.wordpress.com since I'm not about to drop $1000+ on another piece of gear right now, GAS be damned. I can totally understand why people love the Access Virus. This thing sounds amazing and I can hear how this was basically on every track I enjoyed in the 90s+

a Virus B rack could easily fill that last 2U in my setup but tbh if I ever did spend I'd PROBABLY want knobs and things to tweak, and that's in the $800 range for a desktop B which is definitely outside of impulse range.

So no GAS for now, but I am very appreciative of this free emulator that I didn't know existed until the other day. I'm actually gonna say that based on my two months with the JV-2080, I've already found a few presets on the Virus that kind of fit... better... in my little doodles than what I'm getting out of that rompler. And that's without me turning any knobs or pushing any buttons.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Got my dfam and messed with it for like an hour. The reviews were correct it is absolutely techno in a box.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

net work error posted:

Got my dfam and messed with it for like an hour. The reviews were correct it is absolutely techno in a box.

Absolutely love the DFAM, fun as hell to just mess around.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I got my Zoia and I'm quite into it. A lot of the factory presets for guitar are kinda boring but I'm finding stuff on patchstorage.com that is very much to my liking.

One thing that I did find really goddamn irritating is that it doesn't take battery power AND didn't ship with a power supply. Probably not much of an issue for a lot of people, but I live in rural Japan and it took me three hours of driving around in the rain at night to find a power supply that would work with it. Just sucks to get a new toy you've been anticipating and then not be able to use it until you go buy another thing.

Anyway, it's working now and I'm getting all the glitchy guitar synth garbage I wanted out of it so all is forgiven.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

net work error posted:

Hell yeah. Just a fun doohickey in general.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

Trig Discipline posted:

One thing that I did find really goddamn irritating is that it doesn't take battery power AND didn't ship with a power supply. Probably not much of an issue for a lot of people, but I live in rural Japan and it took me three hours of driving around in the rain at night to find a power supply that would work with it. Just sucks to get a new toy you've been anticipating and then not be able to use it until you go buy another thing.

I'm a gigantic idiot and thought the Volcas could be powered over USB for some reason. Drum arrived today and the DC 9V center-positive supply I need happens to be the one type I don't have. I have no car, and I can't think of the last time I bought AA batteries. The icing on the cake was that it snowed all day, otherwise I might've biked to the store.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

kidfresca posted:

I'm a gigantic idiot and thought the Volcas could be powered over USB for some reason. Drum arrived today and the DC 9V center-positive supply I need happens to be the one type I don't have. I have no car, and I can't think of the last time I bought AA batteries. The icing on the cake was that it snowed all day, otherwise I might've biked to the store.

I haven't used these with a Volca but I do use them with other synths, work well with a USB power adaptor and means I don't need to use the Euro adapters a lot of online place send with UK purchases. Ripcords convert from USB to a range of voltages, polarities and tip size. They offer a range of adapters and cables that allow you to use two ripcords to increase total current or one ripcord to power multiple Volcas. Expensive but handy.

Some things to consider, pictures don't show it clearly but the USB plug is thicker than it looks so can block adjacent sockets if used with a compact power supply with horizontally stacked sockets. The power supply database is comprehensive but I've found has the wrong polarity for some devices.

https://myvolts.com/Ripcord
https://myvolts.com/product/32432/5-way_power_splitter_cable_for_Korg_Volca_by_MyVolts_(5-way_splitter_only)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

Just sucks to get a new toy you've been anticipating and then not be able to use it until you go buy another thing.

See also: the Nintendo 3ds

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
SSF ultra kick absolutely slaps. The range is incredible and covers everything my previous kicks would do and offers much more. The videos don't do justice to how much power it packs.

I'm still keeping the crater for the layered noise but it feels so weak next to the ultra kick, it's impressive. Probably will use the crater for snares now lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPmajedWlcs

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 25, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

kidfresca posted:

I've found a it convenient to have a few of these around, and some ~ 20 gauge wire. You can just make a short cable expressly for flipping the polarity of power supplies, just be sure to mark it clearly:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

petit choux posted:

I've found a it convenient to have a few of these around, and some ~ 20 gauge wire. You can just make a short cable expressly for flipping the polarity of power supplies, just be sure to mark it clearly:

this is a good idea and I'm gonna steal it

but PSA that volcas are a non-standard barrel size, a couple Korg things share it but that's all I've ever found

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
You can buy polarity flipper cables on amazon et al as well, the USB-9/12V converter I bought came with one and I use it all the time.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

oh yeah I'm well stocked... but also trying to get weird with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

oh yeah I'm well stocked... but also trying to get weird with it
If you want to get real weird, and don't mind operating outside manufacturers' recommendations, try running the voltage low. My volca fm makes the wildest sounds right before the batteries die.