Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Grape posted:

Putin's image of cold calculating autocrat melting into brain worms Slavic fox news grandpa if anything is kind of a blow to the "democracy sucks, autocrats so sexy" brand that has been getting around since 2016.

oh no, oh poo poo, our philosopher king watched too much cable news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
This is just Putin seeking the west's respect.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nurmie posted:

jesus loving christ

:rip:

Both in general, and for your toxx.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Just to be clear I still 100% consider it a new and distinct invasion if Russia moves beyond the contact line, regardless of any pretend legitimacy about the borders of the separatist republics. And if Russia goes that far, I don't think they're stopping firm at those borders either, without other concessions for a cease fire at least, since Putin's listing other grievances against Ukraine as well.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:rip:

Both in general, and for your toxx.

welp, i do feel like i need a break from All This anyway tbh

so, thank you all (both in this and the other thread) and pls ban :wave:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Gripweed posted:

If Ukraine wants international support in this moment of crisis, they should probably stop being so cringe.
poo poo, yeah, when you put it like that, the real cringe of the last couple days is a meme you find distasteful. When the streets of Kyiv run red with Ukrainian blood, its skies turn black with raging thermobaric fires, and its people reach out a desperate hand beseeching Western countries to do more, we'll look down and say "Please don't post any memes about this that might be taken as offensive."

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

E: Nvm

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 22, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Nenonen posted:

This is just Putin seeking the west's respect.

Maybe it's a bluff to get concessions.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cugel the Clever posted:

poo poo, yeah, when you put it like that, the real cringe of the last couple days is a meme you find distasteful. When the streets of Kyiv run red with Ukrainian blood, its skies turn black with raging thermobaric fires, and its people reach out a desperate hand beseeching Western countries to do more, we'll look down and say "Please don't post any memes about this that might be taken as offensive."

Yes my support would be conditional on a good faith effort on behalf of the Ukrainians to limit the publication of cringe memes on official channels.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Hey for Toxx fulfillment, we'll probably just ID a charity to donate to.

We'll get with you.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1496080753360265222?s=20&t=ExvvmY9yEJxaX8Ap6nsiig

I still think Ukraine is playing this right.

And visual context for Putin's border delirium:
https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1496163840567951361?s=20&t=ExvvmY9yEJxaX8Ap6nsiig

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1496162056273371140

Even the bits still within Ukraine's control belong to Russia.

Thank god he didn't show any memes in his speech, or I would be worried

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

You think he'll link up Donetsk with the Crimea? Or is the power play DPR/LPR exclusive?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

You think he'll link up Donetsk with the Crimea? Or is the power play DPR/LPR exclusive?

The power play is all of Ukraine most likely, or the forces he stationed would be exclusively in the DNR/LNR areas.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Thank god he didn't show any memes in his speech, or I would be worried

If you want to engage further on that issue, feel free, but instead using major news as an opportunity to snipe about that is really petty.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

The power play is all of Ukraine most likely, or the forces he stationed would be exclusively in the DNR/LNR areas.
So he intends to occupy Kiev?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It just shows how deranged Putin and his staff are, if they actually need to go back a day later and explain “actually, what we meant yesterday…”.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

Its more of a knife at your throat situation. Either give us DNR/LNR or we conduct a decapitating strike against Kiev. But I suspect he wants Ukraine to push back so he has an excuse.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Grouchio posted:

It's Kyiv, by the way.

And US Intelligence has asserted that is Putin's grand plan.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Surely that would require another weird tv q and a sesh with his henchmen, rambling speech, and duma rubberstamp

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Just wait until Zaporizhzhia peoples republic and Kherson peoples republic rises up out of nowhere.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Grouchio posted:

The announcement pulls Mariupol into the Russian sphere. This was an objective during the escalation of fighting between the DNR and Ukraine but they never quite managed to reach the city.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mokotow posted:

It just shows how deranged Putin and his staff are, if they actually need to go back a day later and explain “actually, what we meant yesterday…”.

I don't think it's derangement. Last night's announcements were a fig leaf explanation for sending Russian troops into the breakaway regions. Now they're just expanding what that fig leaf covers.

It's very dangerous and usually incorrect to just assume that foreign leaders are just crazy and doing crazy stuff because they're crazy

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1495959462515036163?s=20&t=zyfD-H3r8XL2SQP5fA9oRw

Groen
Oct 7, 2008
So if Ukraine just gives up on Crimea, Donetsk and Luhansk, no longer has any territorial disputes and instantly joins NATO how mad would Putin get ?

This whole conflict is utterly bizarre, the Russia playbook being leaked and then just continuing what was planned.
Meanwhile the EU has discussions on sanctions, they didn't plan any contingencies and needing a meeting?
This whole thing has been coming for ages and there being no plan just makes me embarrassed as a EU citizen.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Gripweed posted:

It's very dangerous and usually incorrect to just assume that foreign leaders are just crazy and doing crazy stuff because they're crazy

Stupid and shortsighted though is correct, and playing everything up as 5D chess is equally as foolish as "they're just nuttttts!"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This really sucks. Like for all that I've disagreed about what avenues could or should have been pursued diplomatically, where we are now is a tragedy.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Shes Not Impressed posted:

It's Kyiv, by the way.

And US Intelligence has asserted that is Putin's grand plan.

FWIW, in French we're taught to use Kiev. Is that spelling inappropriate?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Groen posted:

So if Ukraine just gives up on Crimea, Donetsk and Luhansk, no longer has any territorial disputes and instantly joins NATO how mad would Putin get ?

Ukraine will 100% become a revanchist liability and will never be accepted into NATO.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Groen posted:

You can't instantly join NATO, if the borders are resolved and Ukraine makes moves towards joining NATO I would assume Putin would just "expand claims" in Ukraine.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Gros Tarla posted:

Yes.
https://blog.ap.org/announcements/an-update-on-ap-style-on-kyiv

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gros Tarla posted:

Kiev is what everyone in English called it forever, but Ukraine decided they didn't like it because of some negative connotation related to Russia, so it's very slowly starting to change. I think Kiev is still far more common in English though, at least from people not living in the region.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Kiev is what everyone in English called it forever, but Ukraine decided they didn't like it because of some negative connotation related to Russia, so it's very slowly starting to change. I think Kiev is still far more common in English though, at least from people not living in the region.

Thanks! I was not aware of this.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Gros Tarla posted:

There is different transliterations depending on the language. In English it’s usually Kyiv, in German, it’s Kiew.

борщ (the soup) gets transliterated to Borschtsch in German :v:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Gripweed posted:

I don't think it's derangement. Last night's announcements were a fig leaf explanation for sending Russian troops into the breakaway regions. Now they're just expanding what that fig leaf covers.

I hold occupying Kyiv is the threat, through displaying both the capability and rhetoric to do so, that they'll use to bargain consolidation of their other territorial objectives.

And I very much hope I'm right.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Budzilla posted:

You can't instantly join NATO, if the borders are resolved and Ukraine makes moves towards joining NATO I would assume Putin would just "expand claims" in Ukraine.

he's also been ranting about how this is all NATO's fault and they must sign documents pledging Ukraine never be allowed in and Ukraine be demilitarized, it's literally a core goal they have restated over and over again, so I'm not guessing there's really any "what if Ukraine just gives up on the occupied regions and joins NATO" path

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Watch them cite the Gravel Institute video as a source.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I see where the talking-point comes from.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah at least when I was living in Donetsk and Mariupol (we left in 2002) Kiev was the Russian word and Kyiv (pronounced closer to Kyov) was the Ukrainian language one and which one you used tended to match pretty well with whether you thought Ukraine was a Slavic or Western country respectively. Culture war stuff. That's probably changed since then.

Also i still have friends in both places so I'm super scared lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gros Tarla posted:

It's about as appropriate as Elsac-Loethringen.