Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I think we can all agree the proper name is K-Town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Preoptopus posted:

That's clearly shot in the summer time

Not really, grass is greenish here, and I live way north of Ukraine. Here's a different video of the same plant, still on fire:

https://twitter.com/tweetsNV/status/1496145856923320337

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Watch them cite the Gravel Institute video as a source.

I watched the meeting; he certainly implied that.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

Kyiv (pronounced closer to Kyov) was the Ukrainian language one

Sounds more like Russian speakers adding the -ov to it. In central and western parts it's "Keev" (an approximation).

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I think we can all agree the proper name is K-Town.

Sorry, didn't mean to start a derail.

Local media here still uses Kiev, while browsing here I saw Kyiv so I assumed it was just the english translation, not an actual loaded issue.

In any case, thanks all for the context!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Also sometimes if you referred to it as Kyiv around the (in)correct random drunk villagers they'd yell and throw rocks at you. Now the same people have access to modern artillery

Sounds more like Russian speakers adding the -ov to it. In central and western parts it's "Keev" (an approximation).

Entirely possible. Like i said, i haven't been back for more than a week's since 04 and was living in the far east mostly. It always nice (it isn't nice) seeing tanks drive by your old neighborhood grocery

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Grouchio posted:

You think he'll link up Donetsk with the Crimea? Or is the power play DPR/LPR exclusive?

It is the logical line to hold if he can't get all of Ukraine. Remember Putin views this as a security issue. If he can't hold then gap between the Black Sea and the Carpathians then the next line is the is the Dniepner and atleast partial control of the water supply since Ukraine has turned off the water supply to the peninsula.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

OddObserver posted:

It's about as appropriate as Elsac-Loethringen.

There's nothing inappropriate about that. Places with a long history are often known by many names.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

There's nothing inappropriate about that. Places with a long history are often known by many names.

That changes a bit if it's someone who is not German writing about it in 1940.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Considering the current situation, we might be going back to the old spelling soon.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

I hold occupying Kyiv is the threat, through displaying both the capability and rhetoric to do so, that they'll use to bargain consolidation of their other territorial objectives.

And I very much hope I'm right.

Yesterday it was 'we recognise the republics', today it's 'we recognise their full declared boundaries', tomorrow it will be 'Well if the Kyiv regime won't withdraw and insists on using force to reclaim this territory then sadly our only option is to invade and replace this warmongering regime'. Putin doesn't want consolidation of territory, he wants a friendly and compliant Ukraine.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

Also sometimes if you referred to it as Kyiv around the (in)correct random drunk villagers they'd yell and throw rocks at you. Now the same people have access to modern artillery

Entirely possible. Like i said, i haven't been back for more than a week's since 04 and was living in the far east mostly. It always nice (it isn't nice) seeing tanks drive by your old neighborhood grocery

Sorry if it came off as snarky! My experience is very limited to certain parts of Ukraine as Peace Corps volunteers were not allowed east.

I've definitely encountered jerks like you describe where they were clearly Russian Nazis in the same train car as me asking why an American was only speaking Ukrainian, not Russian.
Also calling Obama the n-word and making the throat cutting motion in response to Poroshenko.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Looking at the Cyrillic either one is a "correct" transliteration so it seems mostly a culture-war issue about who prefers which.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I feel like this should depend on the local pronunciation of those letters. Like, the English Y and I are entirely different from the Danish ones, and I believe quite a lot of other European languages. If I was transliterating the pronunciation of Kyiv into Danish, it would end up something like Kiiju. Which looking it up actually looks kinda similar to the phonetic alphabet version.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Sorry if it came off as snarky! My experience is very limited to certain parts of Ukraine as Peace Corps volunteers were not allowed east.

I've definitely encountered jerks like you describe where they were clearly Russian Nazis in the same train car as me asking why an American was only speaking Ukrainian, not Russian.
Also calling Obama the n-word and making the throat cutting motion in response to Poroshenko.

Heh amusingly I almost got jumped outside a bar in Lviv because I was trying to get by with my meager Russian and the locals were displeased I wasn't speaking Ukrainian.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Reuters posted:

By far the most sweeping measure contained in the initial export controls package would take a page from restrictions placed on Chinese telecom giant Huawei Technologies Co Ltd (HWT.UL) by former President Donald Trump. It would dramatically expand the scope of the so-called Foreign Direct Product Rule, requiring firms that use U.S. tools to make technology overseas to obtain a U.S. license before shipping them to Russia.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/exclusive-punishing-putin-how-biden-could-cut-russia-off-world-tech-2022-02-22/

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I guess my main question is if going past the Dneiper is necessary for Putin's regime-change goals. I doubt it, but I could use verification

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/PaulSonne/status/1496169564849291268?t=6LvEVBv6JWxDhwFjQLQFTA&s=19

Very normal

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

CommieGIR posted:

Hey for Toxx fulfillment, we'll probably just ID a charity to donate to.

We'll get with you.

https://donate.unhcr.org/int/en/general#_ga=2.207468627.1556318198.1645550665-1510867469.1645550665

Seems relevant.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Alchenar posted:

Yesterday it was 'we recognise the republics', today it's 'we recognise their full declared boundaries', tomorrow it will be 'Well if the Kyiv regime won't withdraw and insists on using force to reclaim this territory then sadly our only option is to invade and replace this warmongering regime'. Putin doesn't want consolidation of territory, he wants a friendly and compliant Ukraine.

To clarify, I meant for the internationally brokered ceasefire terms after they systematically demolish Ukraine's ability to fight + take Mariupol + secure land access to Crimea.

And yes, there would be other concessions from Ukraine to extract besides having any territorial gains recognized.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah they're great. Big fans. The best thing is when we moved to NM, I found out that drunk villagers are basically universal and all think largely the same things!

It's weird talking about all this with my dad. He's a big believer in the fact that the US should have boots on the ground in Donetsk because of the Budapest Protocols and considers the lack of same somewhere between betrayal and war crimes. And while I think it would be an escalation, bad idea, and all that, it's super difficult on a personal emotional level to tell my dad that "yeah, the lives of our friends and loved ones don't matter enough".

I'm torn.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol i wonder if there's literally anyone of note that worked on nuclear weapons for Ukraine in 1994 alive and young enough to work today

no idea any specifics of this, i just know that maintaining high specialized institutional knowledge of things you never use tends to be tough even when you didn't give those things up nearly 30 years ago

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 22, 2022

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
For what it's worth as the toxx "winner" I am fine with donating to charity in lieu of banning. Taken all together I would have rather not been right on this as it means a world of horror for my friends in Ukraine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

EU sanctions are going as speculated last night.

https://twitter.com/jennifermerode/status/1496079258141270016

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

eke out posted:

lol i wonder if there's literally anyone of note that worked on nuclear weapons for Ukraine in 1994 alive and young enough to work today

no idea any specifics of this, i just know that maintaining high specialized institutional knowledge of things you never use tends to be tough even when you didn't give those things up nearly 30 years ago

Yes definitely? Ukraine was a massive producer of both missiles and weapons during the soviet era. No doubt some brain drain has occurred, but there's probably as much institutional knowledge wrt manufacturing nuclear weapons there as almost anywhere else on the planet that is not currently a nuclear armed state.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Poland is going to invade Hungary over depriving them of a once in a lifetime (hopefully) chance to do a hit on Russia.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yes definitely? Ukraine was a massive producer of both missiles and weapons during the soviet era. No doubt some brain drain has occurred, but there's probably as much institutional knowledge wrt manufacturing nuclear weapons there as almost anywhere else on the planet that is not currently a nuclear armed state.

There's still plenty of fissile material too. Not that I take the argument that Ukraine is actively developing nuclear weapons seriously, but if they were and Russia had real evidence (which again, I don't believe), that would be a huge game changer.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

While this is an interesting conversation in abstract, I’d like to note that “nuclear Ukraine” here is clearly a rhetorical vessel to justify war, not something Russia has to protect itself from.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1496176414030237699

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I swear this happened last week. Is this more and different somehow?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lmao Zhirinovsky dodged sanctions due to being hospitalized with rona.
Master at work

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

shrug we're talking nearly two generations here, no doubt the theoretical capability exists but the idea that there's some pressing threat Putin must defend against because ukraine could restart it any instant seems absurd

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

coelomate posted:

I swear this happened last week. Is this more and different somehow?

Last week, they reduced staffing down to a skeleton crew. And started burning all their documents. This week, they are ending the mission and evacuating everyone who remains.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

very good photo op right here

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1496171999844089862

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Missiles absolutely, and that industry is still involved in developing civilian rocketry. (They also used to maintain many of Russian ICBMs until 2014)... ... but there is nothing nuclear about that industry as far as I am aware.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What's the point of this discussion, even if every Ukrainian was a secret nuclear scientist, it would take them years to even get the infrastructure to start developing nuclear weapons ready.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I wouldn't step on a rug in Putin's palace either unless he walked on it first, tbh. Chances that there is a shark tank under it are 50/50

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

""
EU ministers unanimously agree package of sanctions on Russia says French FM Jean-Yves Le Drian
""

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cinci zoo sniper posted:

While this is an interesting conversation in abstract, I’d like to note that “nuclear Ukraine” here is clearly a rhetorical vessel to justify war, not something Russia has to protect itself from.

yeah ofc

steinrokkan posted:

What's the point of this discussion, even if every Ukrainian was a secret nuclear scientist, it would take them years to even get the infrastructure to start developing nuclear weapons ready.

eh idk but putin and zelenski have both brought it up in the last few days, so clearly it has some relevance. mostly see above tho, ofc

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Putin is just a big Colin Powell fan.