Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Please be safe and follow the rules of the ROAD

This sounds like a thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

bunnyofdoom posted:

Might I get full specifics on the list?

also congrats.

Here you go.

Poe Dameron (61)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Rey (68)
Rose Tico (9)
Freelance Slicer (3)
Finn (9)
Rey's Millennium Falcon (2)

Zizi Tlo (41)
Advanced Optics (5)

Total: 200

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hmm that is a good looking list. I just hate giving up Poeverdrive Thrusters. Do you ever wish you had it in the list?

So in all his wisdom the IL gov is ending the mask mandate right before Adepticon( which they just announced as a Worlds qualifier again). Will be curious to see what the organizers do regarding that.

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 10, 2022

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It's odd to me they would have qualifiers at a 40k con

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Adepticon is the biggest primarily miniatures convention in the US and pre-Covid had over 6000 attendees. I think the biggest 40k event there is the team tournament at ~500 people.

It's more not-40K than it is 40K, and X-wing had official exclusive promo alt arts there at least as early as 2017 for the event.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

banned from Starbucks posted:

Hmm that is a good looking list. I just hate giving up Poeverdrive Thrusters. Do you ever wish you had it in the list?

No, not at all.

Strobe posted:

Adepticon is the biggest primarily miniatures convention in the US and pre-Covid had over 6000 attendees. I think the biggest 40k event there is the team tournament at ~500 people.
It's more not-40K than it is 40K, and X-wing had official exclusive promo alt arts there at least as early as 2017 for the event.

I know I am setting myself up for disappointment, but I hope they are going to have qualifiers outside of the US. Before Covid Australia was set to have 2 Nationals to cover for South-East Asia.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The Armada Nats in Adelaide have been confirmed as a World's qualifying event. There's no reason an organised Xwing event wouldn't get a nod.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Looks like we've got a whole new game:
Article
Rules
Ship points
Upgrade points
Ban list

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Someone please update the thread title to "X-Wing 2.5: It's nothing we wanted, and worse"

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I think breaking upgrades away from the points is smart, now people will stop just using the most efficient naked or 1 upgrade ships, but thats all I can tell so far without having played it or read that rules reference for differences

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I like the simplified squad building... but ROAD can eat a dick.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

scenario play too: https://www.atomicmassgames.com/s/SWZ_Scenarios_Jan22.pdf

hell yeah

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, I don’t automatically hate the new point system like the post-decision randomized turn order and bumping rules. On the other hand, I definitely don’t trust them to rebalance every card in the game into a new system that they weren’t designed under…

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Whoa, this is basically a new edition without requiring anyone to buy conversion kits.

I'm gonna do a deep dive on this and post it here.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Just read the article and I am already not happy. No two ships lists. gently caress off.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
They made a terrible mess with the ships. Suddenly every pilot has their own upgrade bar instead of that being the exception, and those differences can be extreme (check out Iden Versio, if you haven't yet). I also fully expect this new points system to ossify the meta almost completely, with each ship having 0 to 2 viable builds at most. You don't have to make trade-offs anymore, so just grab the good stuff and go.

Raged posted:

Just read the article and I am already not happy. No two ships lists. gently caress off.

AMG, February 2021: Scenarios will increase list diversity
AMG, February 2022: two-ship lists didn't work well in scenarios so we axed them as a concept

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 22, 2022

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

That ban list is wild. Just outright throwing Rebel Han and Hera out of the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Being able to have 7 2-cost ships and still have a fully modded 6 point ace is pretty sick lmao.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Funzo posted:

That ban list is wild. Just outright throwing Rebel Han and Hera out of the game.

It's Resistance Han

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Aw man, Dooku can't do asteroid/bomb shenanigans anymore. Just attacks.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Napoleon Nelson posted:

It's Resistance Han

Whoops, my mistake.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Jesus, detaching upgrades from squad points sure is something.

Just rebuilt my Rey, Poe & Zizi list which was very light on upgrades. Now all of them are fully stacked. There is no reason Rey would ever have a red boost again..

poo poo is going to die so much faster.

It removes the choices we had to make between using an upgrade or using a better ship/pilot. I liked having to make those decisions.

Still I am going to abuse the gently caress out of this.

The bumping rules is pure rear end and road sucks still. I have won games due to road and it does not feel good.

Raged fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 22, 2022

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Big sweeping changes:

Not going to talk about Random Order after Dials or the new bumping rules. Those have been discussed to death.

Change: Minimum of 3 ships (still max of 8).
Goal: Two-ship lists are generally about attrition and running away, so let's get rid of that.
Initial Impression: Good. I loving hate playing against most two-ship lists.

Change: Squad Building is now 20 points. Only ships count towards your squad. Upgrades are tracked separately as Loadouts. Different pilots have different Loadout Values to spend on upgrades. If two ships cost the same in squad points, the one with the "better" pilot ability will generally have a lower Loadout Value.
Goal: Simplify squad building. Allow players to field the ships they want rather than juggling ship vs upgrade costs.
Initial Impression: Good. Finally a way to incentivize people to take a pilot with a lovely pilot ability over a generic of the same initiative. Think Joy Rekoff, who reduces defense dice when shooting secondary weapons.

Change: Upgrade costs (which count against Loadout Value) are no longer variable. Instead, they're priced according to their strongest use.
Goal: Simplify squad building.
Initial Impression: Neutral. Since every ship has its own LV that doesn't count against squad points, so it's probably okay if some upgrades are "overcosted" a bit for that particular ship. What really matters is if there's a better upgrade available or not...and then you just take the better one.

Change: Added scenario play. There are four scenarios.
Goal: Give players a clear, well, goal, and a way to force people to interact in the game over discrete concepts instead of an abstract positioning advantage. Plus alternate win conditions.
Initial Impression: I have no way to evaluate the nature of each scenario yet. I'll have to play some. However, there are terms like "at range 4.5 from the board edge". How do we measure range 4.5? That has me a little worried, but I'm sure we'll find a shorthand for them.

Change: Games are now 12 rounds, not 75 minutes.
Goal: ?
Initial Impressions: Good because no one is incentivized to slow play to win on points. Players can still delay engagement or run, of course, at the risk of losing out on scenario points. Bad because the lack of time limit is going to cause issues in formal events.

Change: Mission Points. Players receive "mission points" for stuff like scoring objectives or destroying enemy ships.
Goal: Codify the alternate ways to win
Initial Impressions: Fine. You need to codify scoring somehow.

Change: Deficit Scoring. If someone doesn't spend all their squad points, the remainder is a "deficit". the opponent automatically earns Mission Points equal to their opponent's deficit.
Goal: ?
Initial Impression: Neutral. There's no point to bids anymore so I'm not sure why this is necessary, but whatever?

Change: Addition of a Ban list and a Restricted List.
Goal: Remove or limit problematic cards.
Initial Impressions: Very good. It's about loving time. Any card that messes with dials after placement is banned, which is probably due to the addition of ROAD. Both the Ban and Restricted list are only for Standard play. Extended players, go nuts.

Change: New game modes, Standard and Extended.
Goal: "Standard" game mode should be accessible to new players and not require players to hunt down ships + conversion kits that only existed in first edition. As such, it highly restricts which ships are available and is generally analogous to Hyperspace mode. "Extended" allows everything.
Initial Impression: Good. This is basically Hyperspace/Extended from before, except now Hyperspace is called Standard, and Standard generally includes all stuff released for second edition. That's less confusing.

Misc Rules Changes:
-Primary weapons are defined as having range 0-3 and having no cost by default.
-Primary attack at range 0 cannot add additional dice unless stated otherwise. They do not get range bonuses.
-Primary attacks at range 0 can only be modified by spending Force for the default effect
-When defending at range 0, you cannot cancel, modify, or remove dice or results (in other words, the defender can't gently caress with their own dice OR the attacker's)
-Clarification that ships that are allowed to dock mid-game can do so after partially executing a maneuver to end up at range 0 of their carrier ship.
-Obstacles are generally much more harsh when you hit them.
-Tractored ships cannot be moved through or onto obstacles.
-New classification: Unit. Ships and remotes are units.
-Added Blaze obstacles. Uh, don't run into these okay? They are mean.

Errata:
-Generally anyone whose special ability let them attack at range 0 (which they couldn't before) gets language about treating that attack as range 1. Think Arvel, Oicunn, etc.
-Nantexes must now fully execute a maneuver to rotate their arc.
-Buzz Droid swarms agility reduced to 1
-Zeb crew upgrade allows you to spend focus when attacking or defending at range 0.
-C1-10P now requires you to fully execute a maneuver.
-Dooku crew now only works "during an attack", booo
-Dedicated gets keyword restrictions updated to "republic" or "clone", loses "non-limited"
-Ferrosphere paint now gives a stress to the ship that locks you if you aren't in their bullseye
-Grappling and Landing Struts text updated for clarity. (Is the "you cannot barrel roll" text new?)
-Leia crew (rebel) only allows you to reduce difficulty of non-stop maneuvers. No more U-Wings that never move.
-Luke gunner gives you a deplete when you rotate your turret.
-It's now Officially Okay to remove your ships from the pegs during bump scenarios. lol

I haven't even looked at points and upgrade slots yet.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I have felt a disturbance in the force. It was like every tournament organiser suddenly cried out in pain

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

I have felt a disturbance in the force. It was like every tournament organiser suddenly cried out in pain

Yeah. I love the change from time to rounds in principle but it’s gonna make events hard.

The time limit was added explicitly because it was difficult to plan events when you couldn’t time a game.

No one wants to wait four hours for round two to finish.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Think they'll add a time limit back in when they release tournament regs? 12 round or 75 minutes, whichever comes first or something like that

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Think they'll add a time limit back in when they release tournament regs? 12 round or 75 minutes, whichever comes first or something like that

I kinda hope not. I really hate how the time limit warped the game.

I've always liked the idea of shrinking the play field to force engagement instead, battle royale style. No idea if it's a viable idea or not, tho.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Looking over the point/loadout options, I can't imagine why anyone would take generics. Generic ships cost the same amount or are only slightly cheaper than higher-skilled Aces, and have universally worse loadout values and options.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah generics are AWFUL now. I have no idea why.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Delta-7B title being universally banned is a unique choice.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Floppychop posted:

Delta-7B title being universally banned is a unique choice.

Take a look at the pilots in errata. All Delta 7s have it by default now essentially. It's so they don't become 4 red 1 green 5 shield ships

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Take a look at the pilots in errata. All Delta 7s have it by default now essentially. It's so they don't become 4 red 1 green 5 shield ships

Yeah, after posting I noticed that. There's two listings for each Delta pilot, one vanilla and one that's Delta-7B

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I just love how condescending the article is.

"New players just couldn't understand the concept of killing all your opponent's ships. Our solution was to increase the complexity by adding scenarios"

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Ehhh, I don't get it... what is this new players thing they're talking about?!?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I just love how condescending the article is.

"New players just couldn't understand the concept of killing all your opponent's ships. Our solution was to increase the complexity by adding scenarios"

Yeah, really. I'm not super opposed to scenarios but part of the appeal of X-Wing v. other games was that you can slap down a mat and some cardboard and go.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I've noticed that in other miniatures games new and casual players default to the "kill everything" type game and don't even have scenarios cross their mind.

I've even found some sneer at scenarios as things only competitive players use.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I am glad they made things more friendly to new players by...making things more...confusing and difficult when building a list.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

enigmahfc posted:

I am glad they made things more friendly to new players by...making things more...confusing and difficult when building a list.

That's not really the case, you needed a separate app and calculator just to figure it out before. It actually is more simple now.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 22, 2022

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Palob, Guri, Fenn with all the fixin's?

I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

I kinda hope not. I really hate how the time limit warped the game.

I've always liked the idea of shrinking the play field to force engagement instead, battle royale style. No idea if it's a viable idea or not, tho.

Chess clocks. Each player gets 40 minutes. gently caress around with slow playing at your own peril.