Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ranking of Kings maybe heading into "Attack and dethrone the gods" territory making the best anime from last season and this even better.

Just caught up on the series, 10/10 smash all mirrors with friendship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

https://twitter.com/mask_bastard/status/1495466589231136770?s=20&t=xcoMYspEWBh0nywpNeh7ZA

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

incredible

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

AoT anime watchers: Pieck's lecturing to Gabi in front of Eren and subsequent double cross, makes me feel dirty. It's clear the entire time Eldians will be oppressed in other countries forever under the status quo, and she knows HER situation wont ever get better in Marley. Everything she says to Gabi is true, but in the surprise attack she's all "i dont trust my country, but i trust my comrades "

Seems really weak and, being as insightful as she typically is, feels like she should be waaay more conflicted about this.

Always felt like the writer kinda contorts good points it brings up and undermines them in service to get to the next plot point, but this seems particularly egregious. Am i reading it wrong?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pillsburysoldier posted:

AoT anime watchers: Pieck's lecturing to Gabi in front of Eren and subsequent double cross, makes me feel dirty. It's clear the entire time Eldians will be oppressed in other countries forever under the status quo, and she knows HER situation wont ever get better in Marley. Everything she says to Gabi is true, but in the surprise attack she's all "i dont trust my country, but i trust my comrades "

Seems really weak and, being as insightful as she typically is, feels like she should be waaay more conflicted about this.

Always felt like the writer kinda contorts good points it brings up and undermines them in service to get to the next plot point, but this seems particularly egregious. Am i reading it wrong?

comradery under arms happens all the time in real life, even when it shouldn't under racist conditions. Commander Theo himself is a Marleyan who is visibly conflicted from commanding the Eldian unit for several years, and sees them as real people despite himself.

from Pieck's perspective the people who are willing to fight and die with you are the best things you could have in life regardless of race, and considering the circumstances she's not wrong.

Plus, Eren is an established enemy of mainlander Eldians. Even if what he says is technically true, his intention is to wage war on Marley and all the Eldians in it.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Srice posted:

the only isekai I'm really into is saga of tanya the evil, and I am looking forward to season 2 later this year :cheerdoge:

this post in the context of this thread inspired me to finally actually watch it, after being put off by awkward hero art like:

like, say what you will about all sorts of stuff going on in this image, but the actual artistry on tanya is just bizarre and uncomfortable in an uncanny valley sort of way.

the show also loves to do this ePiC TwiSteD anime kubric stare x100 thing:

which i find incredibly corny and stupid

i've not read and am not going to read the LN but if anyone knows anything worthwhile about it in response to my thoughts here i'm all ears.

some immediate pros of the show are:
- technical details for the 1920-1940 "end of medieval warfare and birth of industrial warfare" gun magazine subscribing weirdos
- effectively NO, i repeat NO, sexual fan service, which was a huge relief and was the #1 thing i had my hand hovering over the eject button for

in contemporary japan, a heartless salaryman ladder-climber type gets shoved in front of a train by an irrational actor, disaffected subordinate. the protagonist, paused in time as the train is about to hit him, is revealed to be a misanthropic, boring, hyperrational libertarian guy who only wants to climb and find personal comfort with no regard for his fellow man, but without the compelling psychoses of a narrative like American Psycho. he's just a 1 dimensional rear end in a top hat.

god pauses time before he gets hit by the train to ask him some youtube survey questions before reincarnating him. but instead god and the protag have an epic socratic debate about causality and empathy and whether or not people "need" a god when their needs are met, and would only truly believe in a god like this in their most desperate times. so god is like "alright, bet" and the protag realizes he's basically challenged god to make life as difficult as possible for him. so god isekais this MF into an alt-universe europe that has literally the US emerging, it has named places like Moscow and such, but the specifics are conveniently sort of scrambled away into vagueries.

the protag spawns in Not-Germany, "The Empire", in a world where magic is real but seemingly only ever shown used when its cool and related to fighting. this latter point is important to me because i feel like it really shows the author's focus, which isn't like, cool world building twists during a tumultuous time in world history. there's so much stuff you could explore here with like, civilian technology and the godly pious magic, crop growth and supply logistics, or just day to day effects you could twist and project onto european history with this huge twist that "yes magic is real and you can levitate and transmogrify the world around you". but for some reason the extent of this imagination is just: "what if war and technology was 100% the same except there were a handful of mages and all they did is act like B52 bombers and ace dog fighters". If there's a narrative thread about how the potential side effects of magic for good is squandered by war, like lots of good technology investments are in the real world, it's completely absent as a specific exploration in the anime. not even a hint of it. the show (so far!) is completely devoid of this sort of introspection or imagination. there's at throwaway line or two about "healing mages" but we never see that.

the protagonist, using their isekai advantage, born into a war-ramped nation as an orphan, volunteers to be a soldier at age 10 and is allowed to do so because of their magic aptitude at the age of 10. the general gag of the show's beats are that CONCEPTUALLY this guy just wants to get the easy life as a salary man at a boring position somewhere. but he keeps falling into a "good work is rewarded with even more work" trap that competent ladder climbers often do, so he (she?) sort of stumbles upwards through the ranks by: trying to brown nose, saying something bold and insightful, and getting saddled with more responsibility, rinse and repeat until they're in the upper eschelons of military strategy ranks as the on-the-field strike team leader.

the show asks you to suspend your disbelief a lot. some of it i can respect just for the "fun" of it. like the show is trying to be gritty and edgy, but also doesn't feature common grimdark tropes like sexual assault or perverted isekai protagonist tropes, the universe is hilariously apolitical despite being a very "politics of war" show, the military ranks are unbelievably (in the literal sense) meritocratic and lacking in any petty politics or meaningful infighting that would hinder a 10 year old rank climber. again, there's some suspiciously unimaginative aspects of the narrative in these respects.

our protag, tanya, evolves into a TwiStEd KilLinG MaChinE whose just Too drat Good at their job, but doesn't seem actually committed to their stated goal internal isekai goal of finding a cushy lazy job somewhere, and that facet of their character is basically played for laughs over and over for when they get sent back out to the killing fields again and again. it's basically their only character chord the plot guitar remembers to strum now and again. otherwise the show is an aesthetic rampage of sakuga explosions, people flying around on stupid magic-tech brooms & horses, shooting small arms at eachother in the sky and sometimes in air-to-ground strikes with magic that converts their small arms fire into ballistic artillery shells.

the OTHER chord the plot strums sometimes, for tanya, is that now and again, is that this whole contrived isekai scenario is basically them VS god, with god trying to put them into the losing side of a conflict they'll feel compelled to fight in so that in their dying gasps they'll beg to god and admit god is real and cool, so MAYBE god will give them a proper reincarnation. but tanya is so prideful they'd rather start the first world war than kneel before a being that can pause time and submit to it's self identification as a proper deity.

all and all this show feels like a loving mess.

sometimes it turns to the viewer to wink and you and be like "hey, this tanya person? absolute sicko, definitely a Bad Guy, see how they're trying to twist international law to commit war crimes? that's a bad thing. they're an antihero, remember that!" and will sometimes turn to the other side (britain/US/russia etc) to show how those are real humans too! again winking that war is bad. and there's some threads about the people who fight Tanya having their own motivations for doing so, and a few sordid moments of generals lamenting the pointlessness of war and how they have a family/children they dont want to send.. but they're very brief beats and dont play very deeply before we're thrust into the comical and fantastical WWI dog fighting with Tanya & her troupe, the real focus of the show.

oh and there's absolutely no investigation into the conditions leading into the war, or the at-home politics of like, labor riots, brown shirts, Mussolini style characters, etc. completely washed away with bleach for the sake of letting tanya fight and kill stuff. but hey cool hugo boss uniforms. the war is presented in a "pure" manner overall, vaguely about Just Territory, and it's ugly and bad :( anyways war is cool as gently caress here's our huge war animation budget, watch this grind. alsohey we get cool Hugo Boss uniforms and no one is doing nazi salutes so i guess it's kosher?

i have a sneaking suspicion it'll evolve into a greater conflict with "being X" or this "god" and we'll get some isekai god-fighting stuff going on and im sure Tanya will die some ironic death while opera music plays and we see the lin manual miranda sicko face as they spit in gods face, or some turn to them having a lightbulb moment and their grinch heart grows 9 times, who knows, i dont know, the true focus seems to be military formations and artillery getting blown up so far with some "i guess we need to write a plot" thrown in to put some spice into the sakuga dogfighting, maybe itll never really depart that stage meaningfully.

thank you for reading maybe i can spare someone some confusion with this show

edit:

it'd be more accurate to say "prussian" uniforms than german ones i guess, but i'm not a huge history uniform nerd and the hugo boss ones followed that lineage pretty tightly so i forgive myself

a cyberpunk goose has issued a correction as of 11:48 on Feb 22, 2022

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

it's surprising how sterile and vacuous a show about an isekai alt-universe germany can be

im watching LOGH at the same time and it has way more poo poo going on, way less budget, and covers way more ground in way less time, absolutely bodying tons of tricky and nuanced subjects.

tanya the evil? not interested. only when it has to be to justify the focus: high budget dog fighting and 1930s germany aesthetics

a cyberpunk goose has issued a correction as of 11:35 on Feb 22, 2022

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
If god's just trying to put them in the worst possible situation why even let them have high magic aptitude or whatever?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Zerilan posted:

If god's just trying to put them in the worst possible situation why even let them have high magic aptitude or whatever?

probably so they'd be compelled to join the military since they're eager to enlist anyone. a big but also so far barely utilized narrative component of the show is that mages seem to be touched by god and if they're especially pious they can literally get deus-ex-machina'd out of bad spots in a fight or get a 3x damage modifier for the next 30 seconds. tanya exercises a tongue in cheek piousness to take advantage of this, spouting sarcastic praise to god for epic moments

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

theres probably an essay written somewhere, or to be written, about this narrative trend in isekais where the hero isn't even a hero, or even really an anti-hero. their motivations are mainly a muddy power fantasy where they exist with a sociopathic advantage over the other characters.

a specific trend of heartless, "no one to root for in the end" narratives which are just misery fests nearing on sadistic. AoT is cut from a similar cloth but obviously has a lot more intimate character dynamics and really digs into the structure of its fantasy world and different, complex empathetic perspectives.

on the other side of the isekai coin you have stuff like "Ascendance of a Bookworm" where the prodigal nature of the main character is a suspicious and tricky thing which produces challenges, with authority figures finding it weird and not to be automatically trusted

a cyberpunk goose has issued a correction as of 12:38 on Feb 22, 2022

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

let's take a peek at the nuanced crunchyroll comments on the "saga of tanya the evil" movie which features a cartoonishly incompetent portrayal of soviet russia and tanya basically shouting "time to kill some pussy bitch rear end commies am i right??" out of nowhere constantly

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

daily reminder

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

this is good to hear, but unfortunately i dont think it's coming across in the anime at all at least. maybe the LNs are more effective in this respect

also not sure how much stock i can put into 4chan green text contextualizing two one-sentence tweets when i've just wasted my life on hours of this weird anime in good faith

a cyberpunk goose has issued a correction as of 13:03 on Feb 22, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tanya the Evil's author is like a Japanese eurocommunist, so it's not surprising that they're recycling every lame western stereotype about the Soviet Union.

a cyberpunk goose posted:

a specific trend of heartless, "no one to root for in the end" narratives which are just misery fests nearing on sadistic. AoT is cut from a similar cloth but obviously has a lot more intimate character dynamics and really digs into the structure of its fantasy world and different, complex empathetic perspectives.

AoT's main thrust is to totally undermine that kind of nihilistic attitude by establishing that you should be rooting for everybody.

this is good to hear, but unfortunately i dont think it's coming across in the anime at all at least. maybe the LNs are more effective in this respect

The thesis of the anime isn't exactly subtle. It's like a reverse Book of Job where the objective is to get a non-believer to accept the existence of God. The Salaryman observes no higher authority than himself, despite talking directly to God multiple times over the course of the story. God arranges world events to make it impossible for The Salaryman to enjoy a bourgeois lifestyle in the rear officer corps, until by the end he's a deranged wreck declaring open war on the God he refuses to believe in.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 13:06 on Feb 22, 2022

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah it's not perfect by any means but it's still very funny reading that every time

i've only seen the first season and it's entertaining enough, in more or less the same way as starship troopers, which some people also take completely seriously somehow

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Truga posted:

yeah it's not perfect by any means but it's still very funny reading that every time

i've only seen the first season and it's entertaining enough, in more or less the same way as starship troopers, which some people also take completely seriously somehow

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...strieri/.146974

quote:

“On a gut level, I hate Nazis. It wouldn't do to write a story that shows Nazis doing cool things. If Nazis were in the story, it would make the question of which side is pure evil much more straightforward, but a story about a genocidal war would have to be handled with sensitivity. The Empire in this story is based on a what-if scenario where the German empire unified under the Großdeutsche Lösung ("Greater German solution"), so that all German-speaking peoples came together under one state. If peace had managed to continue throughout the 1910s and war broke out later, during the years between World War I and World War II, how would things be different? In that scenario, there wouldn't be any room for a demagogue like Hitler to come into power. ”

It is for this reason that Carlo Zen does not like the term “loli nazi,” which he has seen the English-speaking audience use to describe Tanya. “When I see the term, I think, 'Hmm, that's strange. How come they think so?' She's certainly not a hero, but she's not that kind of evil. Ultimately, she's a pragmatist.”

i think what's really going on here is that the creator doesn't have a grasp on the western trends of (active, still-around) naziism and how to avoid appealing to them on accident, and even admits that he can't be totally sure how europeans/westerners will interpret the work.

not knowing this, having watched this, i dont think the show is doing enough to avoid appealing to the wrong market for the wrong reasons.

i think on accident he's ended up in the situation he wanted to avoid: portraying nazis as cool. and i think the "ultimately, she's a pragmatist" is a worrying line for me

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

there's a little reddit thread in an anime communist subreddit about it here, treading the same ground:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ANI_COMMUNISM/comments/bvfgd4/saga_of_tanya_the_evil_question/

one person even touched on the same "american psycho" mental thread I was having in another one of my poorly structured posts this morning

i really dont think the author is doing an epic prank by building up this whole narrative to turn it around at some point to "make fun" of nazis or the lizard-brain career-climber headspace of tanya.

i think they wanted to make an isekai about a period they thought was cool aesthetically and that had some interesting historical elements, but had to dumb down some things and wash away some "tricky" subjects like naziism because they didnt feel skilled enough to really weave that whole conversation. which i can respect. but having read this little interview i dont think it's a big-brain treatise on the dangers of imperalism or falling into line in a war-bent country either.

a cyberpunk goose has issued a correction as of 13:24 on Feb 22, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

but having read this little interview i dont think it's a big-brain treatise on the dangers of imperalism or falling into line in a war-bent country either.

That's because it isn't. What happens in the other world doesn't really matter, because it's a thematic metaphor. It's like taking the book of Job literally rather than as a literary work. The whole narrative is an attack on the kind of objectivist Chicago school-educated neoliberalism embodied by the salaryman. IIRC in his life before the other world, the Salaryman is carrying around a book by Milton Friedman. Tanya isn't "falling in line," he actively chose to join the military because he thought that was how he was going to speedrun through life to a bourgeois lifestyle. He has the power to quit and run away at any point. Just give up on his dumbass dreams of self-indulgence and get a real life.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's because it isn't. What happens in the other world doesn't really matter, because it's a thematic metaphor. It's like taking the book of Job literally rather than as a literary work. The whole narrative is an attack on the kind of objectivist Chicago school-educated neoliberalism embodied by the salaryman. IIRC in his life before the other world, the Salaryman is carrying around a book by Milton Friedman. Tanya isn't "falling in line," he actively chose to join the military because he thought that was how he was going to speedrun through life to a bourgeois lifestyle. He has the power to quit and run away at any point. Just give up on his dumbass dreams of self-indulgence and get a real life.

my point is that the narrative acts like that's what it's doing, but to me it really doesn't feel like it's trying very hard. it spends way, way more time glorifying the protagonist's epic combat skills while she does the sicko "im enjoying this!!" face. but then the author remembers "no we're not supposed to think this is TOO cool, better shim some stuff in here about how what he REALLY wants is a peaceful boring job" which is just a setup for the next gag where the brass & god set up 35 more impossible tactical hurdles for him to overcome

he's falling in line in that he's actively instigating prolonged world war on behalf of his country so that he still has a career to hopefully do-nothing at some day. instead of, i dont know, becoming a baker or defecting and living on a modest defector's stipend in hiding for the rest of his years.

again i suspect this is an area the LNs are probably way more competent at exploring

edit: another way to look at it is that the author clearly wants to establish this as a kafkaesque or PKD nightmare for the protagonist, and eliminates a lot of storytelling and realism cruft, naturally. season one started strong in that way but quickly just sort of turned into a sort of war nerd “wow cool” tactics in a sanitized no-nazi Germany with very simplistic or hurried outlines of the true cost of war

I don’t think the shows thesis is as strong as fans pretend it is and it’s mostly just combat and misery porn with sanitized Prussian/Hugo boss uniforms and military equipment so far.

a cyberpunk goose has issued a correction as of 13:58 on Feb 22, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I don't think the author is "forgetting" his own thesis, and the anime isn't doing much but following the letter of the LNs. It's also not his country, the Salaryman has no country because he's a neoliberal. He only believes in the rational regulation of markets, which is also why he hates communists. He comes to the new world with all of his memories intact, and views the world as an alien element. His participation in the war is for purely self-serving reasons. People "fall in line" for reasons of either national ideology or because they lack better options, which is never the case for the Salaryman. You're also downplaying the Salaryman's desire for a "peaceful, boring job." The story is drawing a direct contrast between the lifestyles of imperial brass and the realities of the front. All of those luxuries that the Salaryman desires come at the cost of millions of lives.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

anime is bad

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I see its that time of the thread again where people write a thesis on how they misread Tanya

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

idk it seems to be an extremely mid show that people want to defend as actually being a really masterful portrayal of a soulless market lib being isekai’d

im just saying it kinda sucks and is a muddy mess

Gripweed posted:

The flying witch battles are really cool and the main actress dose a fantastic job

:hmmyes: now this I can respect

a cyberpunk goose has issued a correction as of 18:34 on Feb 22, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
The flying witch battles are really cool and the main actress dose a fantastic job

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
even if the show is about how it's bad that the child nazi is great at war I don't really want to spend a ton of time watching the child nazi be great at war

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I read some of the manga and watched half of the anime after someone posted favorably about it here and it seems like the author (regardless of his political orientation) just wanted to write a war story because he's primarily a huge history dork. I couldn't really give it a big recommendation, but I did think the manga seemed better in general.

Also, Tanya's duck face in the anime looks stupid. I think the manga does a better job of making characters look alienating without the cliche twisted psycho grins. There's also fun little notes about warfare between chapters.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaSfog3lXtb/

Lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I just watched a Korean movie about femdom on Netflix and this seems the most appropriate place to say that while it was pretty awkward, that's a thing I kind of did not expect to ever see, and at times it was kind of cool.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
Been enjoying My Dress-up Darling this season. The main girl is super charming and cute!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

Been enjoying My Dress-up Darling this season. The main girl is super charming and cute!

several people are typing

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lmfao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

*looks up the age of the main characters*

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
ngl seems really horny

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

skipmyseashells posted:

*looks up the age of the main characters*
you’re gonna have to narrow that down a lot

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

idk it seems to be an extremely mid show that people want to defend as actually being a really masterful portrayal of a soulless market lib being isekai’d

im just saying it kinda sucks and is a muddy mess

:hmmyes: now this I can respect

It literally is a portrayal of a soulless market neolib getting isekai'd

I've never wanted to see a protagonist lose more. He maybe a useless EuroCom, but he's leftist enough to know the bad guys still somehow keep winning. That's my thoughts, it was okay but I'd never go back to it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KomradeX posted:

I've never wanted to see a protagonist lose more. He maybe a useless EuroCom, but he's leftist enough to know the bad guys still somehow keep winning. That's my thoughts, it was okay but I'd never go back to it

What's really funny about the story is that it's actually impossible for Tanya to "win." There is no defeating an all-powerful omniscient God. The only possibility is that things will get worse through his denial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

KomradeX posted:

right, im picking up what the show's putting down, i just think it's overlong, tedious, and not very good but does have cool action. the keyword in my sentence was "masterful"