Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

There is one port building in Cathay. But yeah Cathay's tech tree is awful. None of them are great and none of them are worth going into disharmony for.

peasants get stalk is amazing

disharmony is a minor thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Thoughts on Kislev units:

Patriarchs at least get a heal ability. Painful to note they have no hero skill to slow enemy armies (guess they make up for it with a edict that does this in your territory).

The heal is ok, but I find the +MA better. Even the +Vigor is better when you take them with bear cav.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's very hard to lose the souls race even if you skip a couple rift phases or use one of your phases to take Slaanesh's bribes, which I usually like to do because the items/money is so good. The AI factions don't get a soul 100% of the time that the rifts open. I skipped probably 3 or 4 rift phases for various reasons in the first campaign I finished and still ended up winning. I don't mind the rifts mechanic either since I can usually squash them in my own territory in 1-2 turns, the more annoying part of them to me is that the AI seems totally unable to deal with them. My allies are just letting portals go wild in their area even though they have armies and agents available to stop them.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I just noticed the Skaven in their army :lol:

She ended up losing the trait after reinforcing Eshin in a battle.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
After a Khorne stack yelled a bark at me, this popped into my head, and now it has to go into your heads as well:

Nurgle: Grandfather.
Khorne: Bloodfather.
Tzeentch: Crowfather.
Slaanesh: Daddy.

Semi-related: I really like the barks of the Tzeentch stacks. It makes Tzeentch seem not so much the god of plotters and schemers, but more the god of the deeply psychotic paranoid schizophrenics.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
On VH the AI certainly got a soul every time across 3-4 armies.

Angry Lobster posted:

Anyone has attempted a domination victory yet? Sounds tempting to just ignore the soul hunting, however map painting on such a scale means lots and lots of tedious siege/ minor settlement battles.

Go to Slaanesh every time it's up and give yourself sickeningly disgusting purples and big treasury stacks to take the edge off. The hardest part is going to lovely Chaos red clime lands to wipe out dangerous factions unless you're Chaos yourself. There's some sincere relief in things like Ogres not having Underway Movement stance for their long winding compact trails mountain lands.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
"This world is a game" - Lord of Change

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

The heal is ok, but I find the +MA better. Even the +Vigor is better when you take them with bear cav.

Agreed the heal is a trap option, the +MA lets your melee line do some serious damage quickly, and the +Vigor is fantastic when paired with cavalry, or with ranged since ranged attacks tire troops out pretty fast now.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Beat my Cathay campaign. Holy poo poo that final mission. Don't bother bringing anything ranged, seriously. The Enemy waves come from all sides and immediately facecheck anything you have. Do leave a garrison at the entrance to the place though to harvest the infinitely spawning enemies for supplies and stop them from reinforcing the main blob.

Kind of amazing that the typo in the final cutscene subtitles made it through however many hands worked on all this. It should be 'lone' not 'loan'.

... based on all the alt tab crashing and other buggyness I suppose I shouldn't have been too surprised, but still.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hawgh posted:

Semi-related: I really like the barks of the Tzeentch stacks. It makes Tzeentch seem not so much the god of plotters and schemers, but more the god of the deeply psychotic paranoid schizophrenics.

When it comes to Tzeentch these things arent mutually exclusive

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I only ever bothered with ice guards for Katarin's stack but with ice maiden bonuses I was able to get them up to 69 atk / 60 def, and they were pretty effective at blendering whatever made it through the slow effect / hail of arrows. Low armor but they held up ok in sustained combat against all the crap they throw at you in the last battle (Belakor included). At first I had some tsar guard and a couple little groms in there too but the TG didn't seem cool enough to justify losing the extra ranged power and I didn't want to babysit the artillery in quest / story battles since enemy reinforcements spawn in behind / to the side of you so much.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I've been trying the multiplayer and domination is good fun! Much better than normal field battles

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Hotfix announcement and timeframe:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1142710/discussions/0/3185737967877503080/

I'll just copy over the TLDR part, rather then the full thing:

HOTFIX TL;DR
Today we’d like to clarify what we’re focusing on as a team and what you can expect to come next. To quickly answer a few questions that are at the top of everyone’s mind:
Yes; we are in the process of working on the first of several hotfixes to address the critical issues you’ve identified over the past several days. We plan to release these as rapidly as we are able without compromising the current stability or performance of the game.

We are aiming to release the first hotfix later this week! NOTE THAT THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE based on NUMEROUS factors—some of which are out of our control (outlined below).

We will keep you updated about our long-term hotfix schedule as we establish a solid timeline. When we have solid dates for the current, next, and next-next hotfixes, we’ll let you know so you can look forward to them.

We MAY leverage the Steam beta feature to make specific changes available early. The goal will be to determine whether they fix the more nuanced issues that certain players are experiencing. (More on this plan in the future...)

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Is it just me, or is autoresolve way more pessimistic in this one?

It gives me defeat predictions on anything except extremely one-sided fights. I'm having to play a ton of battles where the enemy army just melts in <5 minutes because autoresolve was pretty sure 14 units would beat 30 and a LL.

This is as Slaanesh, so I'm wondering if maybe it underestimates their unit types?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Avasculous posted:

It gives me defeat predictions on anything except extremely one-sided fights. I'm having to play a ton of battles where the enemy army just melts in <5 minutes because autoresolve was pretty sure 14 units would beat 30 and a LL.

This is as Slaanesh, so I'm wondering if maybe it underestimates their unit types?

no it def is, and I hate it

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Nah Auto Resolve is resolved against the player atm

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

When it comes to Tzeentch these things arent mutually exclusive

Yeah, the irony of tzeentch is that anyone else would be able to stop themselves from scheming against their own schemes, or it would lead them to hopelessness when none of their schemes come to fruition.

Avasculous posted:

The autoresolve gives worse outcomes on harder campaign difficulties. I've been on VH and I can only autoresolve if I'm fighting a stack with less than 5 units, even with my late game full stack of murder machines.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Doomykins posted:

On VH the AI certainly got a soul every time across 3-4 armies.

Go to Slaanesh every time it's up and give yourself sickeningly disgusting purples and big treasury stacks to take the edge off. The hardest part is going to lovely Chaos red clime lands to wipe out dangerous factions unless you're Chaos yourself. There's some sincere relief in things like Ogres not having Underway Movement stance for their long winding compact trails mountain lands.

Agreed, the main factor later on would be public order issues due to lovely red climate land, massive corruption from gates and VH penalties. Maybe the smart move, if your faction allows it, would be to set up some allies and/or vassals and gift them the bad settlements.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Avasculous posted:

What difficulty are you on? On Normal it seems to work the same as it always has.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

While trying the multiplayer I've came to notice that the menu screens where you setup your armies is the most resource intensive part of the game for my PC. It's super weird! my fans go nuts and the FPS drops to like 4 while trying to select units.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SirFozzie posted:

Hotfix announcement and timeframe:

I'm sad that they mentioned at the end that the roadmap won't be coming until some of this gets resolved, but it's 100% the right priority.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think I'm going to hold off until the upkeep fix, I have a neighbor I really want to confederate but I fear the hidden supply lines

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I want to try SFO for WH2, do I just get the main mod or do I need all the various submods as well? Is it just plug and play?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I want to try SFO for WH2, do I just get the main mod or do I need all the various submods as well? Is it just plug and play?

Its plug and play, just need the core

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

The +vigor is also really important for your hybrid melee line. Ranged units can chew through vigor fast and being tired makes your relatively serviceable melee fold. The fact that it is tied to an upgrade that gives the patriarch perfect vigor helps too.

I haven't decided on +MA or +heals for a second yet. Or just get one of each.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

hemale in pain posted:

Why does nurgle have such a big gap in their units? I was looking at the other chaos stuff and they've got themes going on but not such a bad roster.

i think its because the units they drafted in for the other monogod factions (forsaken, soul grinders, furies) to fill the gaps in their roster are all stuff nurgle already has: infantry, artillery, flyers. so there's really no filling of gaps there, there's just redundancy. i know they offer different tradeoffs than their existing nurgle counterparts, but it's not as meaningful as say slaanesh getting a tarpit unit with the marauders, or khorne getting flyers.

im not an expert on the tabletop game but i believe daemons of chaos was intended mostly as an undivided faction, with monogod armies being really min/maxing based. like a nurgle army that's all plaguebearers and one herald. i dont think that type of thing translates super well to total war.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Has anyone gotten into multiplayer campaigns yet? how do they run?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Muscle Tracer posted:

The problem isn't that it's a "maze", if it actually was then it'd be easy to just find the right path at the outset and follow it. The problem is that it's 15 turns of wandering around aimlessly, fighting the most pain in the rear end faction in the game, without any sense of progress or momentum.

Please tell me you're exaggerating about the 15 turns.

I think the most i've spent in there is like, 5. Haven't had to save scum it yet either. I just krump a bunch of armies on the way through.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

What difficulty are you on? On Normal it seems to work the same as it always has.

I've been playing on normal with a friend and at least for Nurgle it's massively underestimating them. Every autoresolve insists the Nurgle army will lose a huge chunk of troops but when you play it there's no strategy, just a big blob fight where we end up just consuming the entire enemy army and wearing them down while taking hardly any losses. It's not even enemy ranged getting a chance to unload before the Nurgle army can close in since it goes the same way against Ogre armies without a single ranged unit.

It seems similar to WHII and how undead perform extremely poorly in autoresolve.
So I guess in that way you're right. Unchanged from WHII in that some factions just perform really poorly in autoresolve.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah the autoresolve system hates Nurgle. Compared to when I played Khorne it felt like a huge difference. I autoresolved most battles with Khorne with few losses but with Nurgle I always get massive losses even when it says I shouldn't

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Has anyone gotten into multiplayer campaigns yet? how do they run?

decently but not having early missions to start you off is really rough

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dogstile posted:

Please tell me you're exaggerating about the 15 turns.

I think the most i've spent in there is like, 5. Haven't had to save scum it yet either. I just krump a bunch of armies on the way through.

It's entirely random, the one time I did it I was in there probably about seven turns fighting everything and getting all the white circles and it revealed maybe two links, neither of which were useful, would probably have taken at least ten to get anywhere but the AI managed to do it in six total from when they entered.

There is really zero thought involved, it is just a series of dice rolls predicated on fighting identical battles and you have to hope you get the right ones.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

do... do you not uncover the sigils after battle or get the pairs?

there is thought involved through elimination once you do that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They only gave me one sigil per battle or white circle, and I got maybe two actual links out of that, neither of which as I said were useful, because I never reached either of those islands. So it is still just guessing. I took nothing but revealing sigils from battles and white circles.

So I had a bunch of single sigils, a bunch of unmarked teleporters, and two matched pairs I couldn't get to. All you are doing is rolling the dice repeatedly and hoping it gives you useful information, which most of the time it doesn't.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 22, 2022

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I had a few false starts so I’ve done the tzeentch realm 4 times (N/N) with Nurgle.

I think it’s first come first serve?

I just brute forced my way - going to closest portal - and always got there ahead of other stacks.

I also selected ‘show portal exit’ after each forced fight.

It’s lame and I totally get the frustration but I think it’s not as bad if you just charge ahead.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm not actually sure that the "reveal sigils" option has redundancy protection.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

They only gave me one sigil per battle or white circle, and I got maybe two actual links out of that, neither of which as I said were useful, because I never reached either of those islands. So it is still just guessing. I took nothing but revealing sigils from battles and white circles.

So I had a bunch of single sigils, a bunch of unmarked teleporters, and two matched pairs I couldn't get to. All you are doing is rolling the dice repeatedly and hoping it gives you useful information, which most of the time it doesn't.

The battles give one sigil. The white circles shows a pair.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then it may be broken because I am fairly sure I only got one for each. Also not sure i I got any for some of them as it doesn't actually seem to show what you get, I just had to look at the map and try to notice any new ones.

Either way it's still just dice rolling.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Tzeentch realm is not hard at all. I know most players aren't going to read or take time to think about anything but it's never taken me more than 4-5 turns to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

What Warhammer 3 is really missing: