Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Afaik the main advantage is that enamels etc are less likely to clog up an airbrush than acrylic paints, as the drying time of acrylics is so much shorter. Instead, you get toxins.

Absolutely! There's a lot of advantages to working with lacquers/enamels.

Just wrt to oils specifically as the main advantage for painting minis outside of washes is blending and extended working time you're not really seeing a lot of that with airbrush application vs. doing blending via brush over an acrylic base so if you're not fully comfortable with the idea of airbrushing hotter chemicals I don't think there's a big enough reason to push yourself into it. You're going to get blends with acrylics through an airbrush easily enough.

What does really work well is airbrushing enamel washes which I picked up from the grimdark guy because you get a much more even all over application before you wick away the excess with a sponge etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I completed a random guy this weekend using leftover bits and a pair of legs I 3d printed:

For some reason this wash was a bit more grey than the light greyish blue I usually get, so the Ulthuan Grey doesn't stand out as much, nor do the edge highlights, however I'm pretty happy because I think I achieved the psycho smiling face I was going for. I'm calling him "Blow poo poo Up Brad".

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I have a friend who airbrushes enamel paints. He has a vent hood that exhausts outside and wears a respirator while he does it. I wear a respirator whenever I airbrush anyways, it’s just best practice.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Professor Shark posted:

I completed a random guy this weekend using leftover bits and a pair of legs I 3d printed:

For some reason this wash was a bit more grey than the light greyish blue I usually get, so the Ulthuan Grey doesn't stand out as much, nor do the edge highlights, however I'm pretty happy because I think I achieved the psycho smiling face I was going for. I'm calling him "Blow poo poo Up Brad".

This guy is absolutely stoked to be issued a missile launcher.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I have a friend who airbrushes enamel paints. He has a vent hood that exhausts outside and wears a respirator while he does it. I wear a respirator whenever I airbrush anyways, it’s just best practice.

Not only do you need a hood that vents outside, you need a hood meant for flammable vapors, a cheap fan motor (like the ones in the portable hoods many of us use)can potentially ignite your vaporized paint.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lock up your paints….otherwise a young and wonderful artist might decide to work when all are asleep and cover himself in paint..again. Thank God the paints comes right off with not need to use any abrasives or some chemicals. He also did some paint work on my Lehman Russ and his age of Sigmar figure, likely all very easily fixable at least with the tank, the Sigmor figure is his anyways so no biggie.

However as a result of this I will be a relocating my game worktable to the basement, I will actually have a ton more room with the desk I have available downstairs…so kind of a glass half full approach. lol

That said the people of any recommendations on decent standard comfortable chairs they use while painting or working? Because currently the wooden kitchen chair I’ve been using kind of sucks for long term sitting.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
When you catch your kids doing this, you gotta sit em' down and make them drink the rest of the paint bottle. It's the only way they'll learn.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

When you catch your kids doing this, you gotta sit em' down and make them drink the rest of the paint bottle. It's the only way they'll learn.

Yeah but that will waste the rest of the paint. He really loves retribution armor, Abbadon black, and Mcgrage Blue. I’ll actually have to post some of his painting works a little later, cause it is kind of adorable.

Honestly I’m just happy he didn’t play with the rattle can I had with my paint tackle box, even when the top popped off. I’ll take cleaning water soluble paints off over dealing with my son playing with a rattle can any day of the week.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

idk why but this reminded me of vince venturella reviewing a bunch of paint brands and he gave one a con of “it tastes terrible, like even worse than GW washes”

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I did a wizard and he's fighting a lizard.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Awesome!! That fire looks like it's alive

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Professor Shark posted:

Blow Up poo poo Brad rules. Actually wish I could send that to a friend with of the same name.

Oh as a general question for people what type of chairs do you use when painting or otherwise doing model work? I ask because I can bring down my computer chair, but eh then I would lack one upstairs. Luckily I forgot our basement has a super comfy love seat…but I may need to find a cushion or something to bump up the height. That said the table is definitely going to be better, it’s a two level computer desk and the best part is it’s from the 1980s (my parents had it made when I was a kid) and it’s made with real honest to God no bullshit heavy duty wood. No particleboard or any of that crap yeah kick the side of this you’re foots going to hurt.

Also pics of my sons art. Actually have to admit he did a decent job painting in the gold part of the tank even if it wasn’t meant to be gold and his Sigmar character kind a looks cool as poo poo for something done by a 5 year.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 21, 2022

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

idk why but this reminded me of vince venturella reviewing a bunch of paint brands and he gave one a con of “it tastes terrible, like even worse than GW washes”

When you forget to rinse your brush before putting a tip on it.

(This is why I use the crease of my hand.)

:nms:
The girls who used to paint radium onto clock and watch hands also used to put a tip on their brush with their lips

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm a fairly new painter and I think licking your brush is disgusting

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I've got nothing against using the back of my hand to dry of a brush and smooth out the tip.
But licking it? Oh hell no.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Unfortunately, feathering is just easier if you use your lips to clear the brush.

I don’t do it much, but yeah.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I just do as St. Duncan instructed, and just gently turn the brush on the palette after it's wet with paint to get a tip on it. If it's too far gone for that, then it gets assigned to drybrush or wash slathering duties. I usually buy cheap brushes in bulk, so I don't get upset about eventually having to retire the synthetic brushes like I was a Blade Runner :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's how we can tell you're new :v:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Jonny Nox posted:

When you forget to rinse your brush before putting a tip on it.

(This is why I use the crease of my hand.)

:nms:
The girls who used to paint radium onto clock and watch hands also used to put a tip on their brush with their lips

Well they only did it while they had lips, it pretty much made their faces fall off.

All this talk of licking brushes reminds me of when I worked with a somewhat famous artist who refused to buy brushes online because he insisted on going to the art store where he could taste test them all.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bucnasti posted:

Well they only did it while they had lips, it pretty much made their faces fall off.

All this talk of licking brushes reminds me of when I worked with a somewhat famous artist who refused to buy brushes online because he insisted on going to the art store where he could taste test them all.

What type of drugs did they normally use?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Cooked Auto posted:

I've got nothing against using the back of my hand to dry of a brush and smooth out the tip.
But licking it? Oh hell no.

How else are you going to eat that tasty tasty paint?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

How else are you going to eat that tasty tasty paint?

And have it go to waste like that? Never. <:mad:>

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

And have it go to waste like that? Never. <:mad:>

Two Thin Coats on my stomach lining before taco night is NOT a waste.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I sometimes do it after rinsing the brush out to get a good tip, but do people actually do it with paint still on the brush?

I mean I know this stuff isn't toxic but geez.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Geisladisk posted:

I sometimes do it after rinsing the brush out to get a good tip, but do people actually do it with paint still on the brush?

I mean I know this stuff isn't toxic but geez.

I think (hope) that nobody is licking brushes with paint on them, I think it's more licking a cleaned brush to get a better point.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

E: nvm

Night Danger Moose fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 22, 2022

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yep, Badger had switched suppliers for one ingredient used in Stynylrez, and the quality went to poo poo for a year or two during Covid. Increased clogging, and a very pebbly texture when applied. They've switched back to the original supplier of the ingredient, and people are reporting fresh batches of Stynylrez are back to their former greatness.

This also affected some batches of Ammo One-Shot Primer, which is just rebranded Stynylrez.

Interesting - good to know.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

There is actually edible airbrush paint that is amazing for doing cake decorating, so you can eat that. That being said, I might have a seperate airbrush just for that.

Edit:Although you still wouldn't want to inhale it. On the other hand some of them are made using vodka as a base, so who knows!?

I know you're being facetious, but it's not the toxicity of what you're spraying, it's the fact that lungs aren't made to handle particulates. Even in edible paints, there is particulate matter that is going to cause damage to your lungs if inhaled. Airbrushes also ensure the particulates are extremely fine, which means your built in particulate filters (i.e. nose hairs) aren't gonna stop them. Even non-toxic acrylics are bad for you to inhale - people freak out about airbrushing oils, but have no problem snorting acrylics in a poorly ventilated environment.

Also, you don't necessarily need to vent your airbrush station outside - that's more for odor control more than anything else. If you have a decent fan and good filter that is replaced on the regular, you should be good.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

If you have a decent fan and good filter that is replaced on the regular, you should be good.

Why would the filter matter if it's getting piped outside the window anyway? Or are you talking about the breathing mask filter?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

lilljonas posted:

I think (hope) that nobody is licking brushes with paint on them, I think it's more licking a cleaned brush to get a better point.

Even a "clean" brush is still gonna have goop on it a little bit.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I forget where I saw it, but in some modeling forum (not a wargaming miniature one, I think it was dedicated to either model cars or trains), they were having the same discussion as us, and one of the members posted that he worked for a company that did airbrushing with a variety of products: enamels, lacquers, acrylics, etc., and that in preparation for their studio being renovated they had to be evaluated by whatever government body (I think they were in the US but not 100% sure) to see if their airbrushing met safety standards or if they would need to get a more comprehensive ventilation/PPE solution set up. He said they sprayed all the various fluids they normally put through an airbrush under their current setup for roughly 30 minutes each, to simulate exposure on an average job; and the end result was that they needed no more ventilation than they already had (which was just a simple extractor fan IIRC) and just needed to make sure they wore at least an N95 mask. And that regardless of whatever mask they wore, it had to have a decent seal around the mouth and nose (he did add that for beardy types like myself, "decent seal" was tough to get, which some of the beardy dudes at his workplace weren't happy to hear).

My takeaway from this (and what people have posted ITT, of course) is that as long as you're wearing a decent properly-fitting mask, have decent ventilation, have something to catch overspray, don't stick your face in the airbrush booth while spraying, and don't spray for hours on end, you should be okay blasting some primer on tiny mans indoors.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
"decent ventilation" is doing a lot of work there though. I've tried brush painting lacquer in a basement and the smell lingered for hours. The fumes even traveled upstairs, you could smell it when entering the house. I had to open every window and put on two fans to clear it up. Hot smelly paints stay in the garage for me.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pierzak posted:

Why would the filter matter if it's getting piped outside the window anyway? Or are you talking about the breathing mask filter?

Your airbrush station filter. If you're just blowing outside, then I suppose you don't need a filter, but you're going to potentially be blowing wet paint out your window to collect on your sill or whatever is out there in the path.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Marx Headroom posted:

"decent ventilation" is doing a lot of work there though. I've tried brush painting lacquer in a basement and the smell lingered for hours. The fumes even traveled upstairs, you could smell it when entering the house. I had to open every window and put on two fans to clear it up. Hot smelly paints stay in the garage for me.

I did forget to add the caveat of "water-based acrylics" in my previous post. Again, not saying they're 100% safe and that you can freely inhale them like they were a sweet spring breeze; but compared to lacquers and enamels in terms of odor and chemicals, as long as you're masked up and have decent ventilation, you should be able to airbrush them inside.

Also I'd add that IMHO, nobody should be airbrushing their entire 40k army or whatever in one go (unless they're painting for Epic 40k :v:). Years ago I'd airbrushed some Germans and Russians for Bolt Action, and the place I lived back then had a dedicated workshed and plenty of space for me to spread out, and I still only airbrushed like 8-10 figures at a time, or one vehicle or tank. Trying to airbrush like an entire army in one sitting is silly for a variety of reasons (not just because of health and safety reasons, but also because of "Christ I'm never going to get all this done :cry:" reasons). I don't think I'd want to airbrush prime and basecoat more than a kill team or squad's worth of figures at a time.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Even a "clean" brush is still gonna have goop on it a little bit.

How you gonna know for sure if you don't lick your brush?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I tried a marble airbrush technique! It was the stretched-out baby wipes one, but it only seems to works on very flat surfaces. I wanted to get the Legio Audax look for some AT Warhounds:

The problem with baby wipes is that you can't get the proper masking unless the fibers are touching the surface, and my model has too many surfaces for that.

So instead, I bought a cheap craft-store stencil brush and applied purple-> red-> orange over black primer. This was my first time stippling with a vertical brush, so I was skeptical.

The lighting makes it look like it's glowing, it's much more subdued IRL.

But this is a pretty drat legit tool! Really looking forward to trying it for corroded Steel Legion tanks.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Perfect time to post my first finished AT titan, a Legio Crucius Warlord! Tomorrow it'll walk among the grey sea that is my other titans, and hopefully blow up some jerks.
I printed some Epic 30k marines for the base, my plan is that they'll be duking it out around all my titans.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Love these, the barding is especially great addition! Now I want to get a bunch of these ancient skellies! :swoon:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I mixed up a little bottle that has about 50% distilled water, 40% Liquitex Slow-Dri, and about 10% flow improver (I think the brand was Galeria, it's not an airbrush-specific brand), and when I've used that to thin paints for airbrushing I hardly ever get "dry tip" and I can usually blast out the paint without having to even clean it off at the end.

Just got some liquitex slow-dri and used some liquitex flow aid (kind of redundant I guess to have that because I already had "impressa airbrush flow aid") but I just made this mixture in a squirtbottle thingy I got off amazon with this mixture and will try it out tomorrow

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Just got some liquitex slow-dri and used some liquitex flow aid (kind of redundant I guess to have that because I already had "impressa airbrush flow aid") but I just made this mixture in a squirtbottle thingy I got off amazon with this mixture and will try it out tomorrow

Hope it works for ya! I find it does also work as a more "traditional" flow improver, if you're using a different thinner to thin your paints with, by just adding like two or three drops to the thinner/paint ratio.

Also something I don't think we've touched on is spraying acrylics properly with an airbrush, in regards to technique. Much like spraying with a can of spray paint, you want to do several light passes, like five or six. This is because if you try to just blast it all out at once like you would with an enamel or lacquer paint, it will start to bead up and run. The first few lighter passes allow the paint to "grab" onto itself, making sure that it doesn't bead up and run off. Once you get to the fifth or sixth pass, the paint should be pretty well keyed onto itself and you can apply those coats a little "wetter".

I figured I'd mention this as I know when I was recently getting back into airbrushing, I had several moments where paint was beading up and running off, and I had no idea what the hell was causing it, thinking my paint was too thin or something. I didn't realize that I just wasn't spraying it properly.

Here's the video I watched that clued me in as to what I was doing wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WezhNoebA2Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Love these, the barding is especially great addition! Now I want to get a bunch of these ancient skellies! :swoon:

Thanks! They are kitbashed, mostly old Games Workshop undead cavalry but with bits of plastic Perry medieval knights and heads from Skull & Crown's Triump of Death range.