Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

I’m taking my time and I’m at like ilvl 340 or so and I feel like I am severely behind.

I’m not going to do anything about that because I’m having a lot of fun just lazily doing story quests and doing fun dungeons (holy poo poo I love chaos dungeons) and raids and islands and junk.

If the first raids are anything to go by I think I should play Bard

I'm not even done Annika yet! This is a side MMO, not a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

yeah I don't think it's possible to "be behind" unless you're looking at other goons progress and expecting to be at the same place. Take your time, there's a ton of poo poo to do and contrary to popular belief you don't have to be 100% optimal with your progression. I am really enjoying the game post-50 specifically for this reason; it really felt like a marathon for the first part of the game where you ran through leveling with blinders on but now that it's opened up and there's no particular rush I'm having a great time with it.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Lawlicaust posted:

You can also just do rifts every 3 days and get the same rewards with the rested bonus. I have a bunch of characters that I only touch twice a week when bonuses stack up.

No, doing chaos dungeons every three days gives you 2 days worth of stuff, not 3. It’s more efficient for your time spent but less actual materials than doing them daily.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Gishin posted:

I wouldn't do that. You might think you have a lot but they will be hard to come by later.

My will to continue in this game is dependent on if I can clear the tier 1 endgame consistently on my main and my two alts, so I am burning up my silver, pots, and plumes. If all 160 of plumes disappear, I know what the game is telling me.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I know in abyss raids it's also possible to run forward too fast before the little restock-circle appears, but I don't think that can happen in guardian raids since the stage isn't resetting when you wipe like in abysses.

Like said, I burn plumes.

Jabor posted:

Literally everything (except the geysers, which you just need to not stand in) is avoided just by standing behind the boss!

Okay but what about the Garum and Sigmund? At my ilvl 340 alts (Bard and Gunlancer), I basically die to their non-red attacks.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Stop burning plumes to Tier 1 Guardians. You're only making it worse for your team if you come back, can't dodge mechanics, and don't have pots.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Suprfli6 posted:

No, doing chaos dungeons every three days gives you 2 days worth of stuff, not 3. It’s more efficient for your time spent but less actual materials than doing them daily.

Oh.... I also didn't realize this. For some reason, I thought it did give you the same amount of stuff. drat.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Any recommendations for some particularly easy dailies without much interaction required that can be done, say, while on a conference call? I just did the "give patients their medicine" one and that was definitely a good one.

Edit: VVV oh good call I forgot about the taxi one

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 22, 2022

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

explosivo posted:

Any recommendations for some particularly easy dailies without much interaction required that can be done, say, while on a conference call? I just did the "give patients their medicine" one and that was definitely a good one.

Peyto taxi driver is basically you are on a boat

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Pragmatica posted:

Oh.... I also didn't realize this. For some reason, I thought it did give you the same amount of stuff. drat.

It’s a better deal for respecting your time. This “must do x things daily” to be optimal is a poo poo system in all these games, especially mobile. Just let me go old school and kill 10000 bears to get the mats I need.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

explosivo posted:

Edit: VVV oh good call I forgot about the taxi one

The Runaways Island one is just walk around the island and click on 3 npcs.
Totopia's daily is similar.
Both of them also need to be completed a certain number of times for their island token.

The Lopang Island delivery quests just ask you to sail from the island to one of 6 continents. If you pick up 3 tasks, you can complete the other two just by hitching an ocean-liner line! After doing 11 of these you unlock the Brahms ship (which is pretty disappointing since it actually has lower base speed than the Estoque... kinda weird that the free starter ship is the best one so far?)

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Virigoth posted:

It’s a better deal for respecting your time. This “must do x things daily” to be optimal is a poo poo system in all these games, especially mobile. Just let me go old school and kill 10000 bears to get the mats I need.

That's fair, but I was intentionally waiting even though I had time because I assumed it was the same amount of rewards with rested XP or whatever. I am glad I know that now so I can adjust accordingly.

I am soooo close to 600, today I hope!

Also, I love how this game has so much random poo poo to do. Yesterday, I did my few dailies, then ran around just doing the life skills stuff because whatever. I felt like it. That was nice!!!!!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I assume the game is still stupid popular in Korea right?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

jokes posted:

I assume the game is still stupid popular in Korea right?

Its fine. Not like one of the biggest massive games in the region but still very profitable.

Honestly the people at amazon are probably completely dumbfounded that its been this successful here.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Amazon is going to take a look at this and decide that the real key to success is financing another korean MMO but this time from start to finish and we'll finally get the proper sequel to Ragnarok Online.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I will pray this game's success in the west leads to a global release of the next Dungeon Fighter.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Amazon is going to take a look at this and decide that the real key to success is financing another korean MMO but this time from start to finish and we'll finally get the proper sequel to Ragnarok Online.

After the disaster that was New World they're definitely going to pivot to licensing.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I reached Tier 1 a couple days ago and have done some of the endgame content so let me see if I can analogue this to FFXIV content difficulty.

• Chaos Dungeon: Expert Roulette. Easy content with extremely minimal chance of failure. Actually easy with 1 player instead of 4 at the moment due to mob scaling meaning if you enter this solo there's a much better chance that your AoE mob grinder skills will one shot them.
  • Chaos Gate: Alliance raid (but the easier ones like Labyrinth): 30 player curb stomps.
  • Guardian Raid: Extreme trial. Slightly more difficult content with some mechanics involved. Expect some wipes if you're doing them at the minimum listed gearscore and especially with pugs.
  • Abyssal Dungeon: Savage raid. Much more difficult due to extremely limited healing/revives and mechanics that will one shot the party or lead to an inevitable failure if they aren't handled correctly.

Each of the above 4 are limited in some way for grinding materials needed for progression.

There's also cube, tower, and boss rush which I haven't touched yet but from my understanding:

• Cube: PotD/HoH. Not a separate progression system but contains randomized floors and effects, gives progression relevant rewards, and requires a consumable to even attempt.
  • Tower: No real FFXIV equivalent, but maybe Masked Carnival? First time rewards are for a single character though, so choosing whether to do it on a main or alt is a consideration.
  • Boss rush: No real equivalent, but from reading about it it's like you do every single world FATE in FFXIV at the same time or something

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Abyss dungeons aren't really that bad imo, at least the ones I've done. Garum and Sigmund both essentially just have one mechanic each and the rest is just don't stand in bad. Definitely much easier than savage raids; the hardest part is just getting party members who can press their buttons and do a mechanic once or twice.

The rest seems to track though.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Good, they suck at making video games so I hope they stop. Maybe we will get another dragon's dogma.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Guardian Raids are more comparable to Monster Hunter fights than anything in FFXIV tbh.

Abyss Dungeons have Savage/EX-esque mechanics in the sense of requiring coordination and personal responsibility or you wipe, but (at least so far) just one per fight, and the rest is standard dodge-red-punch-boss, with the red being generally less dangerous than Guardians.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah Guardian Raids, no joke, are a straight up Monster Hunter fight. It even has you manually do a special action to harvest the dead monster.

Sometimes you feel bad for slapping the absolute gently caress out of the monster. Sometimes.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I was talking more about the time spent in trying to clear them, although thinking about how smoothly the Abyss Dungeon run I had last night with a party that actually knew their stuff it's probably closer to some sort of sliding scale between Extreme/Savage.

The cleansing debuff thing was basically the Aurum Vale Morbol bosses on steroids and I had a number of parties that I was trying to teach the mechanics still constantly fail at picking up the orbs. It's more that the difficulty:punishment ratio in Lost Ark at the moment seems to be way more skewed toward punishment than in FFXIV which leads to a LOT of resets.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

If Abyss Dungeons are taking you as long to clear as a Savage something has gone terribly wrong

Abyss Dungeons are like a Savage that ends right after the first checkpoint mechanic.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Like I said, I spent like 3 hours last night trying to teach people the mechanics of the 2nd Abyss Dungeon and I never once had a party that could all just survive to do orbs. DPS was also all over the place, I swear there were some party members who were determined to just stay as far away from the boss as possible and never hit it.

I ended up joining an alt clear run and one-shot it in 10 minutes.

So, just like PF experience in FFXIV overall. Finding the other competent players is the hard part.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
From what I hear (I'm not up there yet), pubbing abyss raids gets 100x easier once you get up into T2 and have fewer of those clueless "always stands in red, never reads party chat or asks about the mechanic" players

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah well for me to get there is going to take me not getting absolutely blasted by upgrades. I've been diligently saving every one of those upgrade saving items on the assumption they'll be more useful later, but failing a single piece of armor 5 times in a row has me in despair.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah well for me to get there is going to take me not getting absolutely blasted by upgrades. I've been diligently saving every one of those upgrade saving items on the assumption they'll be more useful later, but failing a single piece of armor 5 times in a row has me in despair.

Assuming you're talking about the 5xx-600 hump, that's where you stop using T1 materials so there's no point in saving them unless you're planning on power gearing alts.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

admanb posted:

Assuming you're talking about the 5xx-600 hump, that's where you stop using T1 materials so there's no point in saving them unless you're planning on power gearing alts.

Oh, I guess I should've assumed there'd be a new tier of star... breaths? I don't know what the gently caress they're actually called, the ones that add to the likelihood of success on forging. I'm still saving them for the final 14 -> 15 step since not all of my poo poo is at 14 yet.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The game sometimes takes you places. I landed on an island with an old man with a piano next to starving polar bear, started a mission to get some food for the bear, entertain some penguins and a few steps later I'm a investigating eco-journalist trying to bust some kind of environmental conspiracy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its fine. Not like one of the biggest massive games in the region but still very profitable.

Honestly the people at amazon are probably completely dumbfounded that its been this successful here.

SmileGate was expecting an average of 250,000 - 300,000 players. Instead it is averaging 1 million players in the west. It's nuts.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

TeaJay posted:

The game sometimes takes you places. I landed on an island with an old man with a piano next to starving polar bear, started a mission to get some food for the bear, entertain some penguins and a few steps later I'm a investigating eco-journalist trying to bust some kind of environmental conspiracy.

And sometimes all you get is a lovely oversized boring maze.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TeaJay posted:

The penguins playing around the radioactive waste barrel made me laugh because like the questing in general that whole section of that quest felt very "it's a small world after all" like it was a diorama or something.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Hyper Inferno posted:

Like I said, I spent like 3 hours last night trying to teach people the mechanics of the 2nd Abyss Dungeon and I never once had a party that could all just survive to do orbs. DPS was also all over the place, I swear there were some party members who were determined to just stay as far away from the boss as possible and never hit it.

I ended up joining an alt clear run and one-shot it in 10 minutes.

So, just like PF experience in FFXIV overall. Finding the other competent players is the hard part.

Competency probably plays a part in it, but based on my experience, boundary ilvl is just hard mode and public matchmaking allows for it. There is a purpose in setting a "Find Party" party to higher ilvl than what the entry requirements actually requires.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
I have a bunch of purple T1 ability stones and legendary jewelry from 560 Chaos Rifts. Realistically, should I just dismantle it, or is there something decent to get for them? I think it costs Pheons (sigh) to flip stuff, and it's not like I caught anything that magical.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It only costs pheons to buy gear on the market board. You can sell for free.
I've been putting up any orange T1 jewelry with +2 to a decent engraving and it sells pretty consistently for 50g each atm. (especially class engravings, which you get from the weekly abyss raid)
I don't think people buy many purples though.

If you aren't auctioning it, then just dismantle it ASAP. Honing stones for the honing throne

e: vvv oh is THAT how you do it? Despite being tradeable you can't put the stones in your accountwide storage which was very confusing to me

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 22, 2022

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

you can also send old unrefined ability stones and accessories to your alts via mail

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
its funny to me that when you level up an alt you see a billion new random name bots chaining one main quest to another so they can spam area chat, but so far ocean chat is the main and chill chat without any bot spam, only LFG and ADD ME

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Just finished gunlancering my first guardian Ur'Nil and I guess it went pretty alright, even managed to counter him a couple times (after generous reading build guides and stuff like "what counter is" beforehand) but was I just dumb but for the whole fight I had no idea how much health he had left. I could not see a healthbar anywhere and nothing on the sides of the screen showed it.

Now, if I could dare to step in some abyss dungeons..

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm halfway through the wuxia style martial arts tournament. How close am I to vern/the ability to power pass and Jumpstart a new character? Because I'm not feeling paladin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Gyoru posted:

you can also send old unrefined ability stones and accessories to your alts via mail

what the gently caress i just dismantled a bunch because i couldn’t figure out how to get them to alts 😞

well, now i know!