Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You gain 20 friendship points for talking to someone for the first time in a day. You lose 2 friendship points if you don't talk to them.

Basically as long as you talk to them once every 10 days it's a net positive. Don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The luau is also good for getting friendship. Put an expensive and high quality item into the stew and get a big boost to everyone in the town.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Put in poison and trash to make lewis look bad tbh

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

dolphinbomb posted:

You gain 20 friendship points for talking to someone for the first time in a day. You lose 2 friendship points if you don't talk to them.

Basically as long as you talk to them once every 10 days it's a net positive. Don't worry about it.

It's only a 10-point gain if you talk to them while they're busy, eg Jodi washing dishes or Penny just enjoying a quiet moment outside the museum before going in to teach the kids.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
But if you are trying to increase relationship with an individual as quickly as possible through any type of gifting, and trying to choose aongst he options to give, if the gift is Liked or Loved, pick ones with quality ratings if you have the option.

Giving two Iridium-Quality Loved gifts in a week is like being able to give three normal-quality Loved gifts in a week, without the extra hassle of having to hunt the target down a third time.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021

GotLag posted:

or Penny just enjoying a quiet moment outside the museum before going in to teach the kids.

How the frick is that interrupting? Like it's okay to stop her walking to or from the library but not when she's spaced out on the porch?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think it's more a broader mechanical thing - there are certain moments in NPC schdules where they'll repeat a line to you relevant to what they're doing rather than the general dialogue they have for that day. And catching them in those moments is what is worth less relationship points.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

The game says you can only gift 2 gifts a week but their birthday counts as a "free" gift so birthday weeks you can give someone 3 gifts. It might be this only works if you've already given them 2 gifts that week but it is a thing.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
once i got married i just stopped talking to anyone besides willy because he seems cool/he drives me to the island, and pam because i'm also a drunk/she drives me to the desert

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

mactheknife posted:

once i got married i just stopped talking to anyone besides willy because he seems cool/he drives me to the island, and pam because i'm also a drunk/she drives me to the desert

This but anyone, full stop, because even with automation of watering my plot to grow over 1000 units of Starfruit every harvest required insane amounts of work.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

dolphinbomb posted:

and never forget that half the town goes to the bar on friday nights. And gus sells something almost all of them like or love.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Even if you just hit people up at festivals you've basically countered the decay right there.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
I was trying to gift Clint a bomb, and I accidentally set it off in the saloon.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pink Mist posted:

I was trying to gift Clint a bomb, and I accidentally set it off in the saloon.

Lowkey wish there was a non-standard game-over for this...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

tinned owl posted:

How the frick is that interrupting? Like it's okay to stop her walking to or from the library but not when she's spaced out on the porch?

Sometimes you want quiet time to yourself and it's annoying when some rear end in a top hat comes up and tries to talk to you then.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Just got the Stardew Valley board game and I've played it a few times so far. It's good! Not great, but good.

For people in this thread who like SV, it's got really neat artwork (they had an artist draw everything that CA had as sprites) and all of the pieces and cards and actions connect right back to the game, including stuff you wouldn't think they'd be able to fit into the game. The theme is just outstanding.

As a cooperative board game, it's a bit big and a bit long. And if you don't know the video game, the actions you can take might be harder to understand or remember. It's about 40 minutes a player, so a 4 player game is nearly 3 hours, not including set up and take down.

Also, Clint is really useful as a friend in the game, so that may be a problem for a lot of people.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

Just got the Stardew Valley board game and I've played it a few times so far. It's good! Not great, but good.

For people in this thread who like SV, it's got really neat artwork (they had an artist draw everything that CA had as sprites) and all of the pieces and cards and actions connect right back to the game, including stuff you wouldn't think they'd be able to fit into the game. The theme is just outstanding.

As a cooperative board game, it's a bit big and a bit long. And if you don't know the video game, the actions you can take might be harder to understand or remember. It's about 40 minutes a player, so a 4 player game is nearly 3 hours, not including set up and take down.

Also, Clint is really useful as a friend in the game, so that may be a problem for a lot of people.

Is he less of a pest and more self-aware about his feelings toward Emily?

Because that's where the problem with Clint begins and ends.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The boardgame doesn't have dialogue between characters whatsoever

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, he just upgrades a tool for free when his event comes up, which saves you a lot of actions in gathering minerals. So he is completely quiet and very helpful, unlike the in-game Clint.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

skeleton warrior posted:

I've played it twice now, it's fun and the production quality of everything is great. both times the games were basically won by one or two professions or items, and on our second playthrough the festival cards were duds, so initial impressions are the game balance doesn't feel quite right. also over two games we never bothered with animals although I'll likely try next time

the basic mechanics are satisfying and enjoyable and I'm always looking for good co-op games so I'll certainly play it more

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN
also yeah Clint gets his redemption in the board game, he's been great

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Yeah it's cute, and I've had fun with it, but it's a pretty sweaty action economy game. And there is a bit too much randomness given the type of game for my taste.

There is a decent Tabletop Simulator version on the workshop if you can't get your hands on it or someone in the same room to play.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Clint was always useful, vital even. In the board game does he close on odd hours and disrupt your plans for the day?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So did anybody else notice how Marnie keeps a bunch of hay bales stacked next to a roaring fire directly in front of her niece's bedroom?

I wonder if she opened a life insurance policy on Jas

E: Marnie kinda sucks actually. She scolds her nephew for being unmotivated when he's clearly struggling with alcoholism and depression then mocks his recovery, she leaves her young niece at home alone several days a week so she can drink at the bar, she's wildly irresponsible in her home decorating (if she isn't openly trying to commit insurance fraud), and worst of all her store is closed Monday and Tuesday! What the gently caress is in that microwave that you gotta stare at it for 7 1/2 hours, Marnie?!

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 23, 2022

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

She's a self-made, land-owning, tax-paying, single-parent, small-business owner who's secretly loving the tax-collecting mayor.

Yeah, actually this all sounds like it could go pretty bad.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Marnie isn't good to Jas. It's no wonder Jas already shows signs of being an academic overachiever, she's probably going to move out and :sever: with Marnie when she's an adult.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i doubt she's gonna grow up tbh, there'd need to be a massive content patch for that

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Good to know Jas is like Kirsten Dunce in Interview with a Vampire.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i doubt she's gonna grow up tbh, that's a lot of hay bales by the fire

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I need more chill games like SV in my life. Haunted Chocolatier when?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Try this or next Fall.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i doubt she's gonna grow up tbh, there'd need to be a massive content patch for that

Year 15. Jas is still 6 years old.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

LLSix posted:

I need more chill games like SV in my life. Haunted Chocolatier when?

Some other games to keep an eye on maybe:
Roots of Pacha
Bear and Breakfast
Little Witch in the Woods
Witchy Life Story
Kokopa's Atlas

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Y'all mess with Core Keeper yet?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

ILL Machina posted:

Two streamers I watch have called it Top-Down Terraria. But also seem to have liked it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ILL Machina posted:

Top down Terraria is very accurate. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who likes SV without knowing what other games they like. It doesn't have much in common with the games usually discussed in this thread.

It's a pretty chill game. It's easy to die, but you don't lose anything permanently when you die, so that's fine. There's a hunger meter that you have to stay ahead of, similar to Don't Starve.

Bosses are visually impressive, but I haven't figured out how to fight the second one yet. It moves constantly and I can't hurt it enough to kill it before it paths out of range and starts healing.

Farming is... easy enough. You get fewer seeds back than what you plant, so you need to constantly go exploring for more. It's not a farming game. The focus is squarely on wandering around, killing things, and taking their stuff. The minimal base building mostly exists to enable you to do that better.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

LLSix posted:

The focus is squarely on wandering around, killing things, and taking their stuff. The minimal base building mostly exists to enable you to do that better.

Sounds like top-down Valheim

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

LLSix posted:

Top down Terraria is very accurate. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who likes SV without knowing what other games they like. It doesn't have much in common with the games usually discussed in this thread.

It's a pretty chill game. It's easy to die, but you don't lose anything permanently when you die, so that's fine. There's a hunger meter that you have to stay ahead of, similar to Don't Starve.

Bosses are visually impressive, but I haven't figured out how to fight the second one yet. It moves constantly and I can't hurt it enough to kill it before it paths out of range and starts healing.

Farming is... easy enough. You get fewer seeds back than what you plant, so you need to constantly go exploring for more. It's not a farming game. The focus is squarely on wandering around, killing things, and taking their stuff. The minimal base building mostly exists to enable you to do that better.

I got lucky and got the larva neck + ring from a larva chest so I could ignore the slow effects of the slime and then just ran in front of the boss (with a pepper recipe on for run speed) and dropped bombs in its path. Once at about half health it stops running its path and starts doing charges at you that are easy to dodge and get tons of melee hits in.

Slime sword also slows it.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Any more chill farm/life Sims that people do recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Someday My Time At Sandrock is going to exist.