Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Is there anything they produce that Russia can't get from China? A legitimate question.

Modern semiconductor chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

BoldFace posted:

C'mon Joe, let's see Google, Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon banned from Russia. They can still use Facebook.

This would be interesting, if only to see how much those companies would follow the rules. When it comes to taxes and other laws and stuff, they all say they're international and not bound by the US

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
The oligarchs will surely revolt against putin when they can't get their PS5s.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

This would be interesting, if only to see how much those companies would follow the rules. When it comes to taxes and other laws and stuff, they all say they're international and not bound by the US

US could very trivially instantly nuke every single iPhone in Russia. There’s only that much Tim Cook will do when there’s an FBI assault team storming his mansion on grounds of treason accusations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Is there anything they produce that Russia can't get from China? A legitimate question.

Semiconductors

E: damnit beaten

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

US could very trivially instantly nuke every single iPhone in Russia. There’s only that much Tim Cook will do when there’s an FBI assault team storming his mansion on grounds of treason accusations.
I wish that happened more often to typhoid maries of fascism.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-sanctions-limit-moscow-access-eu-financial-markets/

Financial markets curbs already. Get the rouble zen counter ready, folks.

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

BoldFace posted:

C'mon Joe, let's see Google, Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon banned from Russia. They can still use Facebook.
Yandex is far more popular than Google in Russia, and Vk is their local Facebook and also very popular among European far right that have gotten themselves banned from FB and Twitter. Russian gov is big believer in data sovereignty, so with software & services they wouldn’t be hurting too bad.

Banning Apple and Intel/AMD/Nvidia exports to Russia would hurt them a lot though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That's not how treason works, but the US could trivially slap sanctions on companies interacting in sectors of the Russian economy in a way that would force American companies out of the market.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

In other news I've spent my entire lunch break staring at this "we will begin shortly" screen on President Biden's speech. I was hoping to be able to watch his remark

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Banning iPhone exports would increase chances of a Medvedev coup 100x.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sinteres posted:

That's not how treason works, but the US could trivially slap sanctions on companies interacting in sectors of the Russian economy in a way that would force American companies out of the market.

Sure, I didn’t intend to make that a legally precise statement. My intent was to say that US sanctions regimes may have legislative underpinnings in national security, leaning in on which would provide the federal government with more than adequate leverage over any “too big to fail” company.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1496195210740744195?s=20&t=YyCIdtxom6LxFvSvoBpqyQ

Russia establishes diplomatic ties with DPR and LPR

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
from an alt history perspective i wonder how different this would go down, if at all, if trump got re-elected

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Modern semiconductor chips.

Ah, yes, makes sense. Although it looks like China's trying to ramp up their production, too.
https://www.scmp.com/tech/tech-war/article/3163668/us-china-tech-war-chinese-semiconductor-output-surged-33-cent-last

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

from an alt history perspective i wonder how different this would go down, if at all, if trump got re-elected

60% chance nothing happens, and 40% chance last person he had dinner with is a MIC lobbyist and there’s 3 million American soldiers marching through the Ukrainian steppe until Mongolia.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1496192950463782915

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

bump_fn posted:

I suspect the US would have been talking only to Putin 1 on 1 with Ukraine and the rest of the EU being frozen out. We'd probably say we had a peace deal and Russian would have eaten up the entirety of the disputed regions weeks ago. GOP House and Senate members would act very concerned but do nothing. The EU would likewise feel (and be) hosed over, but not do much.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

bump_fn posted:

Is the piss tape real or not in this hypothetical scenario?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Trump was a really big fan of nukes and he would have really liked a good chance to use them

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Is the piss tape real or not in this hypothetical scenario?

He would just say drinking piss disinfects COVID-19.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

cinci zoo sniper posted:

*wiping mouth* it doesn’t???

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

BoldFace posted:

Ban Facebook to Russia. Only Russians can use Facebook and all Russian websites are replaced with Facebook

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

*zips up* it doesn't???

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I know this wouldn't affect The Discourse about covid-19 and the tape but isn't the narrative that the tape happened in like 2014 which was firmly in the before time?

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Ban Facebook to Russia. Only Russians can use Facebook and all Russian websites are replaced with Facebook

I like this idea. Zuck can finally be named a baron like he wants

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In reality the tape is likely fictional, since the associated lore, e.g., the Steele dossier, has not held up well at all.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1496192950463782915?t=f5Um3VVyEew5pLE13gETsQ&s=19

Russian consulate in Odessa is allegedly burning documents.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Shes Not Impressed posted:

It's Kyiv, by the way.

After what happened when Poland convinced us to change the English names for their cities, it's probably just best to glass the next Slavic city that puts in a request for a name change.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Groda posted:

After what happened when Poland convinced us to change the English names for their cities, it's probably just best to glass the next Slavic city that puts in a request for a name change.

Well if that's how you feel I've got bad great bad news about what they want to do to Kyiv!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Someone a while back had a quick and concise explanation as to why Putin is doing this now and not during the Trump administration when Trump was obviously more pliable. I didn't save the post. :(

Does anyone have a quick explanation?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Doctor Butts posted:

Someone a while back had a quick and concise explanation as to why Putin is doing this now and not during the Trump administration when Trump was obviously more pliable. I didn't save the post. :(

it’s funnier

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

If I remember the correct piece, it said that Biden is more predictable than Trump, who could’ve gone aggro for a number of reasons.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Doctor Butts posted:

springtime mud?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Doctor Butts posted:

The quick explanation is that Trump was a pliable moron who would be likely to get swayed by the military chiefs and other hawks to do god knows what. Just like he basically gave a blank check to them vis a vis Syria. Remember when Trump smoked something like hundred of Russian Wagner mercs like it was nothing?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Trump could have just as easily launched a predator missile up an oligarch's rear end as he could have done nothing at all. He was extremely unstable as far as world leaders go. Remember when he assassinated the head of Quds Force? I'm sure Putin does, and while Trump wouldn't have attacked Russia, his response or lack of response can't be quantified by Russia and so the risk was much higher

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Groda posted:

this post is dumb for a variety of reasons but you also realize that 'glass' is typically used in reference to nuking places in the desert right

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

I like this idea. Zuck can finally be named a baron like he wants

I thought he was aiming for Princeps ?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Trump never ever did a deal where he wasn't sure he was screwing the other person. Like Putin he has a zero-sum view of the world. He also doesn't care about costs if he isn't the one paying them and was willing to take extreme diplomatic risks (see: the killing of Solemani which every previous President had rejected as too escalatory).

Trump might have decided he didn't care. He might also have decided that Putin's win would be his loss and that was unacceptable.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Groda posted:

It's not the fault of the Polish language that Germans and Russians kept invading and took all their vowels away.

E: Actually maybe less bad than I remembered. Just Wroclaw, Rzeszow, Szczecin, and Bydgoszcz that stand out as needing more vowels.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yeah I would not want to gamble my whole operation on President Trump not listening to all the generals and natsec guys telling him how 0wnage it would be to finally win the cold war and maybe even fire nukes everyone else was too scared but not you sir you're so brave and smart mr President may i shake your hand