Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Suzaku posted:

I'm that case yeah, you'll need a clear coat in between. Tamiya acrylics aren't true water-based paints. You can easily layer them while air brushing, but hand brushing will lay enough paint and solvent down that it can start lifting or dissolving the previous layer.

Alternatively, you could use Vallejo or another water based acrylic for the highlighting and go right over the top of the Tamiya.

It will also help color-wise to paint a layer of white first, and then put your bright colors over that. It will take you forever to get a good color over the dark blue.

Enamel is also an option layer-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Moola posted:

Gimme a link to £20 godhands please!

Not Godhand, but single edge snippers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SPEEDWOX-P...ps%2C217&sr=8-6

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Echoing the God Hands comments. I was in the same camp as "they're just nippers, they can't be that amazing" and then no, they are actually super good. They're not worth the huge aftermarket prices, but for like £30 they can't be beat.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
For months I was using a set of nippers I got in a $10 gunpla starter kit off Amazon and then last week I got a set of Godhand nippers for $15 and there is a world of difference in my cuts/nub removal now.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
You're not likely to get actual GodHands in the UK for less than £60 ($80!) right now, and that's probably still going to be either knockoffs or someone selling the standard models (PN or CPN?) as the Ultimates (SPN 5.0?) on ebay. No idea how the standard models compare to the Ultimates that feature in every single review, or if the Ultimates are even being made any longer. I've been looking for months...

The best nippers you can reasonably get right now in the UK are probably the DSPIAE 3.0 ones, which reviews say are about 90% as good as the GodHands but actually available and a fraction of the cost (still being gouged at £40+ right now). They're only meant to cut from one side and can struggle with some more oddly shaped pieces. Not sure if the GodHands are the same on that front.

GundamMad occasionally gets the DSPIAE 3.0's in stock for £30 which is not too bad if you're ordering other stuff from them. HobbyFrontline are cheaper but then you have to figure out the whole import situation from Ireland. I *think* you're fine for up to ~£85, but not sure if you risk accidentally getting charged taxes twice and having to claim some back, and no idea what happens above that as the cart doesn't switch from "taxes as part of order price" to "you pay taxes separately on delivery". If you do go the HobbyFrontline route you can also pick up a glass file and/or some precut sanding sponges of actually useful grades for about a quarter of what you'd pay on amazon, even after postage.

Bandai Build Up Nippers (~£13 - £20) tend to get slightly misaligned, where the left blade points slightly up and the right one slightly down, and they're overall a bit less sharp than DSPIAE. They're still better than most random amazon listing nippers up to ~£30, and perfect for cutting runners, leaving the nub work to a glass file or the better nippers if you can afford them.

You will want a glass file either way, and the DSPIAE Siren is really good if you want something specifically made for models (~£3 - £7 vs £2 - £4 for no-name nail and beauty ones). The only problem I have is that the glass file leaves things a bit too polished and shiny and I've still not figured out what grit of sandpaper I want to cancel that out. This is probably why GunPrimer sell a gate remover and balancer as a set, but those are another case of crazy prices and no stock.

If you want to get really exotic I've occasionally seen plane and boat diorama modellers talk about using finger saws or wires to cut pieces from sprues, thinking it was less likely to mash any plastic. Not sure if there's anything to that.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
The nippers are just "if you are in japan, buy them" good. They are not pay export prices good.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Real talk about Real Grades:

Finished the RG I've been working on with my son. It looks great even with our ham-handed effort and without stickers, but man oh man is this thing delicate. Pieces fall off any time I try to handle or pose it, and I only noticed when uploading the picture that the V-fin was halfway off.

Is this typical of RGs?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Finished the RG I've been working on with my son. It looks great even with our ham-handed effort and without stickers, but man oh man is this thing delicate. Pieces fall off any time I try to handle or pose it, and I only noticed when uploading the picture that the V-fin was halfway off.

Is this typical of RGs?

Older ones, yes. All of the recent ones I've built have been very solid.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Excepting wing gundam where the little fin on the shield doesn't have any locking nubs to keep it in place.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Is this typical of RGs?

The Grandaddy Real Grade is a bit of a hand grenade and it does need some super glue. It's not the worst RG but it took them some hard lessons to iron out the kinks in the line. The Sinanju Real Grade is the most beautiful and most disappointing kit I've built.

Meanwhile the RG Sazabi and the RG Hi-Nu are the king poo poo of Gunpla.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Yeah, the Mk. II was the first one that really was sturdy, but there's been a steady improvement since the start. Not every kit is better than the ones before it (the Sinanju is pretty infamous, and the Zeta is worse than the grandpa) but in general, modern stuff is first rate.

The Nu, Hi-Nu, and Sazabi are standouts.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Real Grades are a land of contrasts. The Red Astray and Zeta were my first ones. The former is beautiful, even if it had a tendency to come apart easily. The Zeta on the other hand was such a horrible experience that it almost made me swear off the line.

Then you have the Nu and Sazabi which others have already said are the flat out best.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a way to remove panel lining pen marks without damaging the plastic after they've dried?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Arc Hammer posted:

Is there a way to remove panel lining pen marks without damaging the plastic after they've dried?

Rubbing alcohol.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

wdarkk posted:

Rubbing alcohol.

If I'm just doing a targeted removal would a cotton swab be a good idea?

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Arc Hammer posted:

Meanwhile the RG Sazabi and the RG Hi-Nu are the king poo poo of Gunpla.

No, guys, you were supposed to tell me they're all terrible and I shouldn't waste my money!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Is this typical of RGs?

The RG Grandpa is kind of a piece of crap IMO, it just falls apart if you look at it funny. Some of the other early RG's are similar, but modern RG's are generally amazing kits.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's a bunch of "modern" 1/144 scale granddaddies and the RG is the weakest one. The Revive is a good simple kit, the new Entry Grade is also supposed to be good. The Origin granddaddy is a great kit and an example of the standard HG quality to expect. The G40 is a weird one, and I hope that the Beyond Global version becomes the basis for next generation high grades. The engineering on that model is phenomenal.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Razor Jacksuit posted:

No, guys, you were supposed to tell me they're all terrible and I shouldn't waste my money!

So, don't bring up how the Evangelion RG kits are amazing feats of engineering that look so good the box pictures are unpainted?

Got it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Veotax posted:

The RG Grandpa is kind of a piece of crap IMO, it just falls apart if you look at it funny. Some of the other early RG's are similar, but modern RG's are generally amazing kits.

The Strike Gundam's probably the first outright-good RG kit in the line, I'd say. (Or at least nothing's fallen off mine)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

If I'm just doing a targeted removal would a cotton swab be a good idea?

Yes, if you have one of the pointy swabs even better. You can twist a small piece of paper towel into a small cylinder too.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The RG Wing and Crossbone are also very good incidentally, the former in particular has really nice colors.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

If it's unpainted plastic and you're using the official markers, you can actually take it off with a regular pencil eraser.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

it's crazy how good tools can obviate a lot of the clean-up process. between my Godhands and my Siren glass files (something silly like $15 between the two of them?) I can get a clean nub that would require a 9-step sanding progression, from personal experience.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Nullkigan posted:

You will want a glass file either way, and the DSPIAE Siren is really good if you want something specifically made for models (~£3 - £7 vs £2 - £4 for no-name nail and beauty ones). The only problem I have is that the glass file leaves things a bit too polished and shiny and I've still not figured out what grit of sandpaper I want to cancel that out. This is probably why GunPrimer sell a gate remover and balancer as a set, but those are another case of crazy prices and no stock.

re: shininess

I find a melamine sponge (magic eraser) is about perfect to restore the satin look after filing.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
God the RG Zeta sucks so bad. I bought one and built it because I love the Zeta, and I thought I knew how bad it was, but I was not prepared. I have the RG Sinanju and RX78 as well, and neither of them are remotely this lovely and hosed up. It looks great, the stickers and the color separation and the surface detailing, but the thing won't stay in any kind of pose and the leg keeps falling off.

Credit to Bandai for swinging for the fences on that one, but hoo boy was 2010 engineering not up to the task of a fully-transformable 1/144 kit.

On a more positive note I picked up the HG GTO Zaku 2 and this thing comes with so much neat accessories. Really excited to build it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I have also built the RG Hand Grenade and TBH it's very solid... in waverider form. Or at least, it didn't feel like it was going to explode while it was in it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
gently caress me, has anyone here dealt with SaQraMart before? I found they had a couple of kits I want, but for reasons they won't make clear they can't both be in the cart at the same time. Found that I can get other items in there so thought I might be able to make a couple of $50 orders as that's where you appear to get free SAL shipping, but no, actually SAL isn't available now. I can get free DHL on a $100 order but that's a non-starter if it won't let me buy what I want together.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The RG zeta was my 2nd rg kit after the mk2 and it sure was an experience. Id love to see a ver 2 of it but ultimately any transforming kit will by a pain by being a transforming kit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

i need a kit of this MS

https://twitter.com/ippeigyoubu/status/1497005720570499073?s=20&t=-Ul8M-Qr_y1zgjI4VCQC8w

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Man, and I was completely soured on the Zeta (despite loving the design) after the HG version; can't even imagine how other grades still are not enjoyable

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Were you soured on the new Zeta HG from a couple years ago? I thought it was decent.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

P-Bandai has the MG Sandrock and Heavyarms Custom EW available, they are in stock at the time of this post.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

chiasaur11 posted:

So, don't bring up how the Evangelion RG kits are amazing feats of engineering that look so good the box pictures are unpainted?

Got it.

Can second this, I have the RG EVA-00 and am building the EVA-01; the finished 00 looks and poses so much better than my 90s HG EVA-03 and Production Model EVA.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
me, refreshing the preorders page to see if the moderoid Big O is up yet:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marx Headroom posted:

me, refreshing the preorders page to see if the moderoid Big O is up yet:

Not if I hit refresh first! :f5:

That said, it does looks like another small group of the lineup have gone up because HLJ's taking preorders for the God Gravion coming in November and a couple others that looked like they came and went nearly immediately as there's a few new Order-Stops too.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Marx Headroom posted:

me, refreshing the preorders page to see if the moderoid White Lily and Viola Katze are up yet:

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Ooof Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket was a tough thing to rewatch rn

I just finished my first real grade, the Crossbones Gundam, and I'm itching for something bigger. Luckily I have the MG Barbie and Psycho Zaku in my backlog! It's gonna be my first MG, probably starting with the Barbie as an appetizer.

I do have panel lining and stickers left to do on the Crossbones though. I got the water slides set but I'm thinking I'll give both types of stickers a try to get a feeling for them. Seems like water slides will take ages to apply though.

Are dry transfers a thing anymore?

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Electrophotonic posted:

Ooof Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket was a tough thing to rewatch rn

I just finished my first real grade, the Crossbones Gundam, and I'm itching for something bigger. Luckily I have the MG Barbie and Psycho Zaku in my backlog! It's gonna be my first MG, probably starting with the Barbie as an appetizer.

I do have panel lining and stickers left to do on the Crossbones though. I got the water slides set but I'm thinking I'll give both types of stickers a try to get a feeling for them. Seems like water slides will take ages to apply though.

Are dry transfers a thing anymore?

A lot of MGs come with dry transfers instead of waterslides. Pretty much any MG from P-Bandai comes with waterslides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Picked up the Command Quan[T] yesterday. Neat legs but definitely some older 2010 runners. Not really a fan of the front skirt being a single piece and only connected via a polycap. But the rest of it seems solid so far.