Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They really tripled down on Aloy owning various religious people in HFW, at least in the first area. I keep thinking a crowd of people are going to come out of nowhere and start clapping. It’s so heavy that I honestly kind of wonder if they’re leading up to subverting it in some way later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Good lord Horizon Zero Dawn is talky

Am I gonna miss out on a lot if I skip all the cutscenes in HFW

The game gives you a quest log and a map to highlight active quests, you can literally skip through all the dialogue, cutscenes, and audio logs and only have to deal with incidental Aloy dialogue as she's sliding down a steep incline or fighting something.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/gtelephant/status/1494752918561558531?s=21

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Escobarbarian posted:

They really tripled down on Aloy owning various religious people in HFW, at least in the first area. I keep thinking a crowd of people are going to come out of nowhere and start clapping. It’s so heavy that I honestly kind of wonder if they’re leading up to subverting it in some way later on.

Three also really tripled down on

“Hi Aloy, remember me?”

“Sorry, I can’t talk, there’s something I have to do alone.”

“I haven’t seen you since you ghosted everyone, can you at least expl-“

“NO I HAVE TO DO THIS ALONE GOODBYE”

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 20, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

They really tripled down on Aloy owning various religious people in HFW, at least in the first area. I keep thinking a crowd of people are going to come out of nowhere and start clapping.

Lol I had the exact same thought. Aloy gervais

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also Gaia is basically robo god so she’s sort of wrong.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

veni veni veni posted:

Also Gaia is basically robo god so she’s sort of wrong.

This has already come up a few times in the story where I’m at so I think it’s deliberate.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
GAIA literally made her, what an ungrateful little rear end in a top hat. Aloy is that friend of yours who discovers Sam Harris in their 20s and you don’t wanna say anything so you don’t embarrass them

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm sure she really appreciated being thrust into the world as an outcast without any guidance only because she's the only one who can save the world so it's all her no pressure or anything.

All's given the poo poo she has had to endure wrt religion, I fully support her calling every religious person on their bullshit. And using her newfound game to do it to people in authority because gently caress them too she has poo poo to do and they are in her way.

Like, without the context of the first game is comes on a little strong, but with that context it's tooootally understandable

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Wolfsheim posted:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1494762437605617664?t=wTLVuDip6ARIXtnau5H3zQ&s=19

I know I said a Fallout TV series is a terrible idea but this is perfect ghoul casting imo

Dude’s head got the opposite shape of the fallout helmet

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stop making fun of Walton Goggins and his beautiful head.

That said you are not wrong

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
He looks like hed fit right in with the fo1/2 talking npc heads

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Aloy's character flaws are deliberate and part of the story and she gets called out for them. It's good writing!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Not really in the first one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In the first game Aloy is brash and hotheaded, impatient and disrespectful of Rost's faith even though she has good reason to be, her early character moments are all about how she's about to make the Nora bow down and give her what she wants. Rost calls her out on this and says she needs to serve a purpose greater than herself. Then through the twisted process of discovering her own identity, which as it turns out is inextricably tied to the state of the world, Aloy finally understands and accepts her greater purpose beyond the pettiness of the Nora who slighted her. This is demonstrated near the end of the story where Aloy emerges from the womb of the mountain to find all the Nora literally worshipping the ground she walks on. If this moment happened at the beginning of the game, Aloy would have loved it. She would have said "I knew I was special, told you so, bring on the worship." But at the same exact time Aloy finally gets what she wants, she realizes how completely unimportant that is in the grand scheme of things. And in case you really weren't paying attention, the closing monologue in the ending cinematic spells this all out for the player.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Not really in the first one.

In the first one her character arc is very different, so that's not really what I was talking about!

Also what Exquisite Tea said.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sammus posted:

I’m pretty sure cannibalism is Fallout as gently caress.

It's not the cannibalism, it's how mean spirited it is in the movie. The book ends with "Do you know what love is? Sure I know. A boy loves his dog." There were a bunch of other lines added to the movie that were really juvenile but that one is by far the worst.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

exquisite tea posted:

In the first game Aloy is brash and hotheaded, impatient and disrespectful of Rost's faith even though she has good reason to be, her early character moments are all about how she's about to make the Nora bow down and give her what she wants. Rost calls her out on this and says she needs to serve a purpose greater than herself. Then through the twisted process of discovering her own identity, which as it turns out is inextricably tied to the state of the world, Aloy finally understands and accepts her greater purpose beyond the pettiness of the Nora who slighted her. This is demonstrated near the end of the story where Aloy emerges from the womb of the mountain to find all the Nora literally worshipping the ground she walks on. If this moment happened at the beginning of the game, Aloy would have loved it. She would have said "I knew I was special, told you so, bring on the worship." But at the same exact time Aloy finally gets what she wants, she realizes how completely unimportant that is in the grand scheme of things. And in case you really weren't paying attention, the closing monologue in the ending cinematic spells this all out for the player.

A good post :love:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
So Amazon dropped off my brand-spanking-new copy of Saints Row IV: Re-Elected + Gat Outta Hell yesterday. Pop that bad boy open and...the code on the insert for GOH expired over 2 years ago. I was really looking forward to supplementing SRIV with GOH.

Nothing on the Amazon listing says that the digital download might be expired when you receive the product. Will it work anyway? Is this something I can contact Deep Silver or Volition or Square Enix about and they'll send me a new code? :saddowns:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah and also contact amazon about a refund

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did you try the code because some say they expire and they never do

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Sakurazuka posted:

Did you try the code because some say they expire and they never do

:hurr: It worked and now I hope I never hear back from Deep Silver.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I will never understand why digital codes expire.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

veni veni veni posted:

Probably so that they have no liability if someone unearths an unopened copy of a game which contains a code in like 50 years then tries to complain because they cant redeem their code as the playstation network was taken down for good in 2047 following sonys acquisition by a resurgent Sega.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

veni veni veni posted:

They never do, it's just so they're not culpable if anyone tries to redeem it in 2086 when robots have shut off the internet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had a barely expired code for Dishonored Definitive Edition that I gave away to a goon and PSN just told him it was expired, so in some cases at least they must expire.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I was watching YouTube TV on my PS4 when it suddenly shut off. Now I press the power button, the power light comes on for a brief moment and then it turns back off.

Thoughts?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Try unplugging the system for a minute. PS4 got weird like that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Try unplugging the system for a minute. PS4 got weird like that.

I unplugged everything and let it sit for ten minutes to ensure the power had been completely drained. Plugged the HDMI and power cables back in and ... still just the single beep and shutoff.

Edit: This is an OG model PS4, not a Slim or a Pro.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Timby posted:

I unplugged everything and let it sit for ten minutes to ensure the power had been completely drained. Plugged the HDMI and power cables back in and ... still just the single beep and shutoff.

Take out the hard drive and see if it boots without it

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Does it boot into safe mode? Hold the power button down, past the first beep, until you hear a second beep a few seconds later.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sakurazuka posted:

They never do, it's just so they're not culpable if anyone tries to redeem it in 2086 when robots have shut off the internet.

Some totally do. It's happened a number of times to me.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does anyone know why audio going from my mac to my bluetooth receiver and speaker constantly skips/stutters when I'm downloading something on my ps4? it's fine when I'm playing a game, or doing anything else.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

actionjackson posted:

does anyone know why audio going from my mac to my bluetooth receiver and speaker constantly skips/stutters when I'm downloading something on my ps4? it's fine when I'm playing a game, or doing anything else.

Is it actually using Bluetooth or is it doing it over AirPlay? AP is over wi-fi so you could be getting some network congestion.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baggot posted:

Does it boot into safe mode? Hold the power button down, past the first beep, until you hear a second beep a few seconds later.

Nope. I even tried using a different HDMI and kettle cable.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Dewgy posted:

Is it actually using Bluetooth or is it doing it over AirPlay? AP is over wi-fi so you could be getting some network congestion.

I select my audio receiver from the bluetooth menu, so it should be bluetooth

i did go under control center, and the airplay icon was not "blue" for this device. however I wasn't sure if it was on or off initially, now it's blue and I can't unselect it! but I don't think that's related anyway as it's always been grayed out before.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 23, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If your console is using 2.4ghz rather than 5ghz, it absolutely can interfere with bluetooth at high utilization. Bluetooth uses 2.4ghz as well.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

My dream Fallout show wouldn't have followed a fixed protagonist. It would have been an anthology style show with a new cast of characters in each episode, showing the differeng aspects of life, factions and whatever in the Wasteland.

But Walton Goggins is the perfect person to be the face of Fallout so I'm sold.

Couldn't agree more! I think an anthology series would be a great way to explore the fallout world. Give me a Silver Shroud episode!

Ghoul Goggins is such good casting. I'm excited to see who else gets attached to this.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Timby posted:

I was watching YouTube TV on my PS4 when it suddenly shut off. Now I press the power button, the power light comes on for a brief moment and then it turns back off.

Thoughts?

Worst case is the PSU is shot.

Had the same problem, tried booting without hd, different cables etc. Everything pointed to a borked PSU. Took the PS4 tona repair guy and they plugged it in and it just started working again. Maybe it just needed to go for a walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Timby posted:

Your PSU is hosed. You MAY be able to get it going again if you leave it unplugged for a very long time (several hours or possibly even days), but this will likely persist until the PSU is replaced. The good news is that since it's an OG model PS4, replacement PSUs aren't particularly expensive (or at least they weren't prior to the pandemic when I had the same issue and replaced mine and it's been flawless since), I think like $50ish, and if you get the right screwdriver bit to get into the console it's quite easy to replace, the old one just unplugs easily once you get the right screws out. If you or someone you know is good at electrical engineering, I think it's possible to dismantle the PSU, identify the borked component and just replace it for very little money, but this is advanced stuff.

If you'd rather Sony do it, I think it's like $80-90 including shipping for out-of-warranty repairs on an OG PS4 but they won't do it if there's obvious tampering or physical damage to the unit or they discover bugs (insects, not the software kind of bugs) in the unit.

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 23, 2022