Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

smoobles posted:

Aquatic animals can't develop electricity.

It's definitely gonna be some kind of bird that invents the next civilization.

Explain that electric eel that posts on twitter then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

everything is just kind of hosed huh

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

I always loving lose it at, “I believe people shouldn’t talk about this kind of poo poo at work.” He pulls a note-perfect look of cornered desperation. He’d really, REALLY like to avoid that conversation. I’ve been there and empathize completely.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Too Many Birds posted:

i have resigned myself to being a spectator

years ago

it was "fun" being "prescient"

just by reading journals and reports, evetything was spelled out decades ago

then it devolved into total apathy when i realized i couldn't do anything or say anything without being shouted down

giving an honest assessment of where we are now is heartbreaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNYp6oc37ds

i've known and lost people who gave up on environmental science degrees and marine biology who just burnt out

they never switched to the dark side just went on the CS path and did what everyone who knows does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA9SV9ac1ec

just do what you do, don't talk about it, eat, work, drink, gently caress, blah blah blah

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
speak for yourselves the second poo poo starts imploding I’m joining the naxalites

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 11 days!)

sentient algae

Bad Faith Effort
Feb 2, 2022

by sebmojo

skipmyseashells posted:

the second poo poo starts imploding

i got some bad news boss

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

apatheticman posted:

Wow,

Why does your phone not right justify the battery meter?!

Probably where the front camera is.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Birthrates fall when your society becomes more wealthy, but being wealthy necessarily results in more carbon emissios.
eh it’s more specific than “wealth”

Birthrates largely fall with increased bodily autonomy of women. Things like readily available birth control, women’s legal rights and education don’t require American levels of wealth/ consumption.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

bawfuls posted:

eh it’s more specific than “wealth”

Birthrates largely fall with increased bodily autonomy of women. Things like readily available birth control, women’s legal rights and education don’t require American levels of wealth/ consumption.

oh look, another way patriarchy ruins everything

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

NotPerfect posted:

Which species do you think will be uplifted to take humanity's place? I'm personally rooting for otters.

:yeeclaw:

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
always helpful to keep in mind that the way we measure wealth is stupid and almost completely detached from human wellbeing

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Too Many Birds posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqbZiEE6vEg

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

smoobles posted:

Aquatic animals can't develop electricity.

It's definitely gonna be some kind of bird that invents the next civilization.

My dude have you ever heard of electric eels?!?!

Electro-jellyfish are going to invent some kickass bioluminescent organo-punk future approximately five seconds before the sun expands to scour all life from the earth.

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/Andy_Scollick/status/1496153328039960578?s=20&t=jq4WL6M6l1A0PwCk2mZ-qg

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Depending on how long the plant and general infrastructure is out of commission this might be a net gain. It's not like all of this wasn't polluting before.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I feel like anything that pushes fuel prices through the roof or keeps people from driving is a net good

But also war is bad

People dying and things getting busted up (not equivocating the two) is not good

It sucks that even if we had a nanotech or biotech thing that would eat all hydrocarbons the human cost would be devastating

As stated above though we're already overpopulated for what the earth can produce (minus our horrible food distribution)

I'm with Rust though

It's sad that people are having new babies right now but it's our nature to do that

Can't just say "I'm bad at parties" you just have to stfu and say congratulations

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Can't just say "I'm bad at parties" you just have to stfu and say congratulations

sure of course you can

Brainwreck
Mar 17, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Complications posted:

Depending on how long the plant and general infrastructure is out of commission this might be a net gain. It's not like all of this wasn't polluting before.

Agreed but large scale destruction of this kind of infrastructure vs proper decommission is not ideal.

The lmao is that a proper decommission will probably never happen.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I feel like anything that pushes fuel prices through the roof or keeps people from driving is a net good

But also war is bad

People dying and things getting busted up (not equivocating the two) is not good

It sucks that even if we had a nanotech or biotech thing that would eat all hydrocarbons the human cost would be devastating

As stated above though we're already overpopulated for what the earth can produce (minus our horrible food distribution)

I'm with Rust though

It's sad that people are having new babies right now but it's our nature to do that

todays kids are tomorrows guillotine mobs
try to think positive

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I thought people said that nukes would help?

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

quote:

oil tanks burning, oil spills, coal mines flooding toxics, chemical factories destroyed.. soil, rivers and sea will suffer as will people and wildlife.
But they're just describing the current state of the US?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Real hurthling! posted:

todays kids are tomorrows guillotine mobs
try to think positive

song for the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oCzMrgnFjI

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

kater posted:

I thought people said that nukes would help?

The funny thing about that is that nobody actually knows exactly what the consequences of global thermonuclear apocalypse would actually look like, because nobody’s ever modeled it physically and there are so many variables. nuclear Winter is one option yes, but there’s also the option of nuclear summer, where high altitude ejecta supercharges and accelerates the greenhouse effect

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The funny thing about that is that nobody actually knows exactly what the consequences of global thermonuclear apocalypse would actually look like, because nobody’s ever modeled it physically and there are so many variables. nuclear Winter is one option yes, but there’s also the option of nuclear summer, where high altitude ejecta supercharges and accelerates the greenhouse effect

the road but viggo mortensen wears a hawaiian shirt, flip-flops, and some sick ray-bans

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

hot isotope summer

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
*Hearing the "nuclear launch detected" alert and drooling like a dog*

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Venus by Tuesday :sickos:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
conversely, the cooling and heating effects of TTW could balance each other out perfectly, we don't know!

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Car Hater posted:

*Hearing the "nuclear launch detected" alert and drooling like a dog*

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mBMS_6DGYwk

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

it doesn't really matter whether the crops freeze or die from heat if you can't eat them anyway because of the fallout

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Dustcat posted:

it doesn't really matter whether the crops freeze or die from heat if you can't eat them anyway because of the fallout
just dust em off

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Protagonist posted:

conversely, the cooling and heating effects of TTW could balance each other out perfectly, we don't know!

i've been modding out Fallout 3+NV and TTW stands for "The Two Wastelands" in my head now

keep your rad meters close kiddos

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

goochtit posted:

Venus by Tuesday :sickos:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

NotPerfect posted:

Which species do you think will be uplifted to take humanity's place? I'm personally rooting for otters.
an alliance of algae, jellyfish, cuttlefish, octopi, and dolphins

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This is your brain:

quote:

I can ride my bike with no handlebars
No handlebars
No handlebars

This is your brain on Fossil Fuels:

quote:

And I can end the planet in a holocaust
In a holocaust
In a holocaust
In a holocaust
In a holocaust
In a holocaust

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Trabisnikof posted:

This is your brain:

This is your brain on Fossil Fuels:

Look at me, look at me
Drivin' and I won't stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/mnolangray/status/1496253506751242250