Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Turbinosamente posted:

It does seem to paradoxically benefit the bigger local shops more over the real small hole in the wall type places.

That's a feature not a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
Finally managed to carve out some time to review my last few acquisitions.

Owen
At Home with Owen and The Avalanche

Into It Over It
Figure

Fugazi
7 Songs

Minor Threat
First 2 EPs

Haven't opened it to see if it's a 2020 blue vinyl pressing.

hosed Up
David Comes to Life (10th Anniversary)

The Promise Ring
Very Emergency

Dan Andriano & The Bygones
Dear Darkness

It's not a new Alkaline Trio album, but it's Dan so it will be great regardless.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Traded in my OG Lovage (cause I ordered the deluxe reissue) Walked away with this gem.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Fugazi
7 Songs

Minor Threat
First 2 EPs

Haven't opened it to see if it's a 2020 blue vinyl pressing.

:hellyeah:

Who are Into It Over It or Owen, though, are they good or what

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Got this (on avery island - neutral milk hotel) for 11 dollars at urban outfitters. Very pleased that it plays fine and was so cheap.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Toe Rag posted:

:hellyeah:

Who are Into It Over It or Owen, though, are they good or what

Short Answer: Capitol E Emo from Illinois.

Long Answer:
Owen is the solo project of Mike Kinsella who plays/played in all of the bands in Chicago (American Football, Owls, etc.,) since 1997. I want to say Owen at its core is a chamber pop/folk acoustic project. That is a brutal lovely explanation because each album is distinct from each other. The two albums I posted are my favorites. Might be good starting points.

Into it Over it is the brainchild of Evan Weiss. (The Progress, Pet Symmetry, etc.) Most people would recommend the album "Proper" as a starting place as it refines the the myriad of styles he experimented with on the 52 Weeks compilation.

To muddy the waters even more. Both Kinsella and Weiss are in Their / They're / There who put out two superb noisy kinda mathy EPs in 2013.

I'm p sure someone else could explain them better.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

RSD is only good for the big replenishment of New-Old stuff in the bins and walls. Nothing more.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

The big local record store goes all out for RSD including opening early and free coffee and donuts. The other two small shops open at their usual time and put out a bunch of rare used stuff they hold back for the day and have some customers/friends spinning records throughout the day with pop-up shops outside.

I'll usually stop in at the big shop the day or two after and what I sort of want is almost always still available. I like this set up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

RSD is only good for the big replenishment of New-Old stuff in the bins and walls. Nothing more.

Shop at better stores.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Shop at better stores.

i mean they're good stores :shrug: they just know when to drop the reserves in when the shops get busier on RSD and people are more willing to open their wallets.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That is also the day when the biggest shop puts out the bins of dollar records on a mass of tables, to try and get some of that stuff gone. It was how I got the ill fated Herb Alpert for pwn. Just had to pick the best of, like, 6 copies.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ngl Fear Inoculum vinyl is amazing looking even from non-tool fan perspective. Just don't go looking at the price $800+

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CaN6wbnFAZF/?utm_medium=copy_link

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Looooooooool that much? That’s absurd.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Did they just do the old laser etched thing for the discs? I'm barely pulling down enough internet atm to get the video in any sort of high quality, but the shine on the records sort of looked like it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah they did a laser etch on the back of the disc

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I love that the person in the video is putting their fingers all over the playing surface of that 800 dollar LP.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Turbinosamente posted:

Did they just do the old laser etched thing for the discs? I'm barely pulling down enough internet atm to get the video in any sort of high quality, but the shine on the records sort of looked like it.

I thought so too but i paused the video and the playable side is normal, just really shiny and reflecting some multicolored lights.

But the back side of each disc has a picture etched on it.

What do you call this aesthetic? New Age Photoshop poo poo? All the art in that book is terrible.

Remember when tool had the coolest videos on Mtv?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nspxAG12Cpc

also

Tool.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

All the art in that book is terrible.

Yes, it's a Tool album. Tool is just prog for 40 year olds that were goths in high school.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Yes, it's a Tool album. Tool is just prog for 40 year olds that were goths in high school.

I dunno. I think Tool was too heavy for most of the goths back then. I am an old and remember Tool being lumped in with the heavier side of "grunge" and alternative. But I agree that they are a poo poo prog band now.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I went to a tool concert once and it was cool. It was a while ago though and I haven’t followed them since. Cool stage show though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I will admit some bias in my hatred of Tool. It's one of those bands where the fanbase makes me hate them more than that actual music. I was friends with a guy in high school who really liked them. We eventually had a falling out because he's a douchebag and a couple years after we graduated he raped someone at a party. So when anybody mentions Tool it reminds me of him.

If there was none of that baggage my opinion of Tool would basically be "Meh. But those videos were pretty cool.".

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I enjoyed them back in the day. That Maynard wine documentary was kinda unintentionally funny and a little cringy. Agreed that their fans can be insufferable and sorta ruin enjoyment of the band.

Undertow is pretty great in a peak 90's kinda way.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 21, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I thought it was common knowledge that Tool are prog? One of their chief inspirations is Rush after all.

Edit: also lol that they didnt laser etch the playable surfaces, just opted to do a blank side (if I'm reading it correctly here).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I don’t think they’re a great band but worth a ticket in the cheap seats if you’ve got nothing else going on.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I don't really listen to Tool, but I like Puscifer's "V is for Vagina" album, so I'm probably trash. :P

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

As a 41-year-old who was a goth in high school for the two weeks I bothered to even go, Tool was always one toke over the line for me. And you know the kind of dumb bullshit I’m into.

I liked Tool better when they were in Green Jello.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BigFactory posted:

I went to a tool concert once and it was cool. It was a while ago though and I haven’t followed them since. Cool stage show though.

Yeah their stage shows are pretty amazing, up there with NIN. I'll always try and see them if they come through town and it's not a million dollars a ticket.

I've always considered myself a fan (who doesn't listen to the lyrics really or care whatsoever about the time signatures or whatever) but fully recognize that they're a band ruined in the public eye by their generally insufferable fanbase. Same thing with DMB and Pearl Jam and a few other bands I really like

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

Yeah their stage shows are pretty amazing, up there with NIN. I'll always try and see them if they come through town and it's not a million dollars a ticket.

I've always considered myself a fan (who doesn't listen to the lyrics really or care whatsoever about the time signatures or whatever) but fully recognize that they're a band ruined in the public eye by their generally insufferable fanbase. Same thing with DMB and Pearl Jam and a few other bands I really like

Pearl Jam doesn’t have an insufferable fan base, they’re all just baseball reporters. Oh wait

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I love Tool but I have to admit 90% of their fan base is terrible.

I went to their show in SF last tour and everyone either dressed like Lemmy (without pulling it off) or wore Tool shirts. 95% or the crowd were dudes and the place smelled like an armpit.

They played fantastically though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I love Tool but I have to admit 90% of their fan base is terrible.

I went to their show in SF last tour and everyone either dressed like Lemmy (without pulling it off) or wore Tool shirts. 95% or the crowd were dudes and the place smelled like an armpit.

They played fantastically though.

If you change that band on the shirt, you've just described every metal concert I've ever been to.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Fans are the worst. This is why I dont talk about poo poo I like with anyone. why would I do such a stupid thing?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

I liked Tool better when they were in Green Jello.

Wait, what?

dorium posted:

Fans are the worst. This is why I dont talk about poo poo I like with anyone. why would I do such a stupid thing?

This but unironically because I like comic books.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Wait, what?

This but unironically because I like comic books.

Maynard the singer and Danny the drummer from TOOL both were in Green Jello back in the early 90s (before they had to change their name).

Also, TOOL rules, they always get pretty interesting opening acts for their live shows, and their fanbase is the loving worst. I've seen both the Melvins and Tomahawk booed relentlessly at TOOL shows.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Tomahawk was a cool band. Especially that first album.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

and their fanbase is the loving worst. I've seen both the Melvins and Tomahawk booed relentlessly at TOOL shows.

You have to find the biggest baddest on day one and roundly kick his rear end or else

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I've tried to like Tool since the 90's, but I just can't. A ton of my friends were and are super into them.

It's some of the most boring music I've ever heard. Their continued popularity blows my mind.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Blue Raider posted:

I've tried to like Tool since the 90's, but I just can't. A ton of my friends were and are super into them.

It's some of the most boring music I've ever heard. Their continued popularity blows my mind.

If the Tool fans I know are indication it's one of those "Everything I liked when I was 12 is and always will be the coolest poo poo ever!" things. I know I'm probably stepping on some toes here when I say this but I'm just putting out what I've come across the most.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Went to a physical record store for the first time in forever and picked up a couple things.

Untourable Album is really well mixed and sounds fantastic. Good for showing off your stereo if you're looking for something like that.

Also, I'm a member of a ~~*secret society*~~ and heard that there was a bunch of abandoned audio gear in storage that had been at our hall for like 30 years. On scoping it out, I found a Yamaha CA400 and a pair of Altec model 9s but everything looked like they needed some love. More interesting to me was this thing:

I have fuzzy memories of my dad's audiophile friend using one of these before playing records in the early 90s. This one has lost its stick, but apparently they can be "reactivated" by washing them in really hot water. I'm curious to try it, although I doubt it'd be much better than a regular old brush.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Tool is awesome, but I've personally never encountered a rabid Tool fan so that helps.

I did go to high school with a bunch of rabid emo/core fans though, so leaning towards the progressive stuff was a natural counter to that I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Nobody likes the bottom of the page!!

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 23, 2022