Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

This is why I bailed out of academia. That and my wife said "I want to move to X state once you defend" and i replied by deleting my academic leads word document and getting a job in public health in that state instead

My sister lives 12,000 miles away from the rest of the family because that's where the job opening in Astrophysics came up (we do get on as a family). Though the wild cockatoos that come to her balcony probably sweetened the deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've seen that poo poo a lot from boomers, lying about buying their kids a house or other big ticket stuff. Had a co-worker who told me a story about how her family started acting really weird around her for a year until she found out they were resentful she forced her mom into getting a reverse mortgage to fund her downpayment on their house. Apparently her mom noticed some of her richer boomer friends mention how they were able to give their millennial kids 300k or more for downpayments and felt inadequate so started telling everyone she did the same for her daughter. When they'd ask how she could afford that she said she did a reverse mortgage. When people were telling her that's really going to hurt her own finances down the road she then started telling her that her daughter guilted her into it. So the whole extended family had this story in their heads that the spoiled eldest daughter had manipulated her poor mom into giving her a couple hundred thousand. Just insanity.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to put my packaged snacks back in the fridge per my husband's request?

quote:

Hi.

I, f34, am diabetic and keeping packaged snacks near me is essential, because often times I get low blood suger, due to issues I have with appetite (I don't eat lunch or dinner properly).

My brother in law and his pregnant wife moved in with us a month ago, The issue began when my SIL started eating my snacks that I usually keep inside the fridge, I tried buying more snacks but sometimes they run out and I end up drinking water mixed with sugar in the middle of the night because I don't have anything else to eat and my husband won't go out to the store and get me anything. I told my husband and he told me to be patient with his brother's wife because she's pregnant and is considered "sort of sick" so she needs to be cut some slack.

I had it to be honest, I moved all my snacks into the bedroom and inside a box just to keep them safe. SIL said it was strange that I no longer buy snacks but I told her that I actually still do, I just keep them safe in my room so no one can touch them. She side-eyed me then an argument ensued after my husband and his brother came home. My husband berated me for being rude to SIL and childish for moving the snacks and keeping them in the bedroom. I told him why I did that though, he know what was up but he said I overreacted and that there was no harm in sharing. He demanded I put whatever snacks I have back into the fridge and stop acting like a child but I said that I won't and if his SIL and her husband get upset then they need to understand that I'm diabetic and need those snacks essentially. He yelled in my face calling me childish then walked out.

BIL and SIL are cold shouldering me. and my husband keeps pushing for me to put the snacks back into the fridge where they belong or he won't speak to me as well.

AITA?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mx. posted:

AITA for refusing to put my packaged snacks back in the fridge per my husband's request?

I demand you go into diabetic shock because you were rude to our pregnant SIL! Don't you understand SIL is "sort of sick"? Its like you have no empathy for people with health conditions.

Just god drat what a terrible place to be in.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

William Bear posted:

The wording is ambiguous: I'm not sure if one guy got into the CIA right out of college and it stresses him and his siblings out, or if the parents, for some reason, expect their kids to join the CIA as soon as possible.

What kind of hosed up family is this? Is their last name Dulles?

"...and no son of mine is going to work for the pansy rear end NSA"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

The lesson he should have taught is "I don't like it when you call me by my first name. Other people might be okay with it but I'm not." rather than creating a universal rule to apply to every child.

quote:

I actually just found out why he calls his father by his first name. According to my wife it's because he's adopted, but I think that's all the more reason to show respect to the person who chose to raise him without having an obligation to do so.

This guy literally cannot conceive of the fact that not everyone abides by this "rule".

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Midnight Voyager posted:

This guy literally cannot conceive of the fact that not everyone abides by this "rule".

When I was a kid, my parents tried to get me to call them Mom and Dad. Apparently I said "that's not your name, other people call you <name>" and that was the end of that.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
You showed them Damian

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

super weird to call your dad by his name rather than "coach" or "sir"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

Room for three more in the acid vat?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for taking back my Ps5 my mum gave to our cousin as a gift?

quote:

I’m a 19 year old (M) my mother is (57) and my cousin a 13 year old (M) So I waited until 2021 November to try a Ps5 I’ve been trying since release and on the 22nd of November I finally got one! I was so excited to do everything with this console and couldn’t wait I bought another controller and so many games to have with this baby even though I took out a bit of my me time savings.But this is also the time when people take Christmas presents into consideration and I kept this as like a present to myself, My cousin I’ll call him Joe has autism and I love the little dude but I need to clarify that he’s very spoiled and his parents don’t do anything to teach him a lesson.He really wanted a ps5 and threw so many tantrums when he didn’t get one, so to keep the “peace” my mum took my ps5 when I was at school and hid it from me.

I was shocked when i didn’t see it there and really started to cry as I spent so much money for it.My mum told me that she took my ps5 as to calm down my cousin and that she’ll pay me back (her idea of paying me back is an iPad)I yelled at her for so long saying how long it took to get it and save up money for it and how dare she do that and invade my space,she hung up on me as I wasn’t being myself and gave me time to calm down.

I wasn’t ready to “calm down” and went to my cousin’s house rang up the doorbell took my ps5 and games (I forgot to mention she took the games as-well! A £300 iPad isn’t going to cover £700 worth of stuff) and went home.My aunt tried to stop me saying how this is all my sweet baby wants for Christmas but I didn’t care and drove straight home.My whole family is giving me so much pressure saying I should give it back as its not my right to go against my mother’s wishes.

I do feel kind of bad since his family is not that financially stable and them buying a ps5 (If they can find one) will screw up some stuff.So AITA?

quote:

This was in my own home thats why i was so surprised.I thought I got robbed.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

He thought right.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mx. posted:

Just start giving away mom's car, furniture, etc imo

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mx. posted:

The one thing I notice about these stories is there is always a barely half-hearted attempt to make it up with something of clearly lesser value, but since the attempt was made the victim is treated like a monster for refusing it.

Also in line with the boomer parents lying about their money status I'm sure the mother on that story said she had bought it for the son.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I don’t understand why boomers would make up stories about helping their kids. It’s not as if anyone in their generation expects them to. Apparently I’m lucky because I have to put in work to keep my boomer mom from spending too much money on me, my wife, and the kids. My parents try not to talk about how much money they spend on other people. Which just in direct cash payment is at least a couple grand a month. She funds my screw-up brother to the tune of a thousand a month. In the past she has offered me an allowance despite the fact that I am a functioning member of society, but holy hell I don’t want to be attached to her apron strings at 40.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

therobit posted:

I don’t understand why boomers would make up stories about helping their kids. It’s not as if anyone in their generation expects them to. Apparently I’m lucky because I have to put in work to keep my boomer mom from spending too much money on me, my wife, and the kids. My parents try not to talk about how much money they spend on other people. Which just in direct cash payment is at least a couple grand a month. She funds my screw-up brother to the tune of a thousand a month. In the past she has offered me an allowance despite the fact that I am a functioning member of society, but holy hell I don’t want to be attached to her apron strings at 40.

I was writing something about that but it all boils down to the dopamine rush they get from bragging about it at church or their social circle. Being able to spend and be seen to spend is the entire point.

It also works in reverse, when if their adult children struggle and apply for welfare, it's a shock and disgrace because "what will the neighbors think" when a struggling 28 year old 1000 miles away goes on food assistance.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Propaniac posted:

Girlfriend of 5 years lied about being in the Navy.

You've found him: the dumbest man in the world.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I (30F) just learnt that my BF (30M) and his family have been receiving death threats from the past 10 years, and I'm seriously contemplating ending our relationship

The single attempt in 10 years was unsuccessful and none of the others have amounted to anything, so it's unlikely OP has anything to worry about. What is the dad's reputation and business, though? Is he a good guy, like an abortion doctor, who is receiving them from chuds, or is he like one of those guys who killed his baby in a car, got off, was in the newspaper, and is receiving them from regular people? The OP's account has unsurprisingly been deleted by the terrible mods, so we will never receive clarification.

Hughlander posted:

AITA for not paying for my husband's hospital bill?

I can not imagine being so transactional with someone I like let alone someone I married.

That said, my number one question is what the gently caress is 'Vile b---hbag'???!?!?!

If his mommy can pay the bill in full without the expectation of reimbursement, why ask OP in the first place? If she didn't have $200, how would she be able to pay a hospital bill anyway?

Couples keeping separate finances is good and healthy and should be more common than it is, but implicit in that should be a third pool of money set aside for mutual bills like rent/mortgage, utilities, etc and medical emergencies if they're American.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

therobit posted:

Take the money and put it in savings.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Hellblazer187 posted:

Take the money and put it in savings.

"B-b-b-but none of the trustworthy old white guys from my copaganda stories do commercials for "savings!" How do I know I can trust it? Better stick with reverse mortgages"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Invisible Clergy posted:

The single attempt in 10 years was unsuccessful and none of the others have amounted to anything, so it's unlikely OP has anything to worry about. What is the dad's reputation and business, though? Is he a good guy, like an abortion doctor, who is receiving them from chuds, or is he like one of those guys who killed his baby in a car, got off, was in the newspaper, and is receiving them from regular people? The OP's account has unsurprisingly been deleted by the terrible mods, so we will never receive clarification.

He killed a baby in a car.
Except change "baby" to "Big Sal Zarmucci".

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for not letting my cousin borrow my wedding dress?

quote:

5 years ago I got got married and I had a custom wedding dress made by my MIL. My MIL has since passed in a car accident. It was so unexpected and it broke my husband’s heart. We are saving the wedding dress for my daughter who was named after my MIL. My cousin Gigi (no direct blood relationship my MIL) is now wanting to wear my wedding dress. Her, her mother and my grannie are all on this war path that this is her dream dress and I should let her wear it. It would be a tribute to my MIL (again this is my side of my family and no direct relationship to my MIL).

Gigi was obsessed with my wedding dress when I had it and she’s has already said she wanted to wear it. Gigi is not my size (much larger boobs and hips) so the dress would have to be majorly altered. My husband said “no” he wants to have our daughter wear it when she’s grown up and have it altered for her or turned into a vail. My daughter is under a year and my family said that’s years off and I should let them borrow it now. My cousin has turned petty at my refusal and as disinvited my parents, siblings and their children. She told her that I’m costing her thousands of dollars because she’s had to pay for dress to look like mine. She’s also mad because I won’t lend her my dress to have it copied because I 100% don’t trust her with it. My auntie and grannie have banned me from their life over this because it’s the one thing my cousin has wanted since she saw me in my wedding dress. I was told if I don’t do this I’m cut off from any events my grannie host and my mom is too because she has raised such a selfish and entitled daughter.

i like how in all the "give me your ______" stories, it's the person refusing and not the one demanding who gets called "selfish and entitled"

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Grape posted:

He killed a baby in a car.
Except change "baby" to "Big Sal Zarmucci".

He's in the import/export business.

AITA for shutting down repetitive robotic conversations?

quote:

I really really hate the repetitive menial questions and wooden responses that seem to worm into every single day of our lives. The kind of conversations that we start just to be polite, out of obligation, and neither of us care at all about the topic itself. Like talking about the weather, I can't stand the old,

"How's it going?"

"Not bad/doing well, and you?/still breathing/another sunny day/etc"

Frequently I'll respond in ways that totally shut down the conversation. I'll give a quick one-word response and then rush into, "What do you want? Here it is. Goodbye." Sometimes in a store if I'm asked, "How are you?" I'll say, "Absolutely awful, thank you." Just because it normally makes things awkward enough that they give up and let me go without further question. Yes, I could spice up my own contributions to make them more interesting but why? Why invest that, when I know neither of us were invested in the conversation to start with?

The worst example is my wife. Every day I get home and she asks, "How was work?" which is sweet, it is. It's nice that she gives me space to vent or discuss my plans and my headspace. Except... work is the same nearly every day. The same as yesterday, the day/week/month/year before. If something changes, I've usually already brought it up.

I'm left using wooden robotic responses just to exit the conversation as quickly as possible. "It was fine.", "It was busy.", "It was decent." and I'm just so tired of trying to bring myself to care about having that discussion.

I've expressed that it bothers me. Expressed that it makes me feel like I'm living in a Groundhog Day hell to have to repeat the same conversation every single day. It changed nothing. Every day I still get asked the same questions with the same replies. At least in my own house I'd like to get away from it, even if I can't control strangers and their pre-programmed NPC voice lines.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for trying to shut down these types of interactions?
Wow, OP, you don't like small talk? That's so unique and interesting. Every other human uses phatic phrases specifically to annoy you, not because they want to avoid acknowledging the repetitive nature of 99% of daily interactions and for the cashier to say "other human acknowledged" and you repeating "other human acknowledged" while he rings up your stack of hungry man dinners in stony silence.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Brawnfire posted:

What, all these people aren't pumped to go to their friend's mom's rubber dick tupperware party?

I'll never understand those sex toy parties. What do they expect the guests to do at these things?

Pick up some shiny dingus that takes their fancy and announce to everyone present, "Wow, look at this purple marvel, I'm going to cram it so far up myself you'd think it was John Hanning Speke discovering the source of the Nile."

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'll never understand those sex toy parties. What do they expect the guests to do at these things?

Pick up some shiny dingus that takes their fancy and announce to everyone present, "Wow, look at this purple marvel, I'm going to cram it so far up myself you'd think it was John Hanning Speke discovering the source of the Nile."

From my understanding, it's some really "oh we're so NAUGHTY~" type event even though everything is shockingly vanilla. It's really not conducive to a good sex toy buying experience, just entirely catered to white basic bitches getting a little thrill and giggling at fake dicks and making naughty~ jokes. Actively terrible if you want to be comfortable buying a sex toy.

Source: Old classmate has hit every MLM in existence.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

they're for getting drunk, giggling, and throwing dildos at each other

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mx. posted:

I mean, whom amongst us hasnt

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mx. posted:

sure, but who needs a whole excuse for that?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's a pyramid scheme like tupperware parties/mary kay/avon/lularoe/herbalife/cutco etc. They're not expecting anyone to have fun at the party, they just have a crummy product that they have 10,000 units of in their garage. Like any pyramid scheme, they rely on harassing friends, family, and acquaintances into buying their garbage by relying on them being sufficiently decorum poisoned that they'd rather spend $150 on a dildo rather than say "No," or "Karen, this is a pyramid scheme. Get out while you still can." Like the ones that sell leggings, it's an appropriately feminine-coded thing that chud husbands won't be threatened by since it's not something they would want to do themselves, plus it can be done out of the home with no skills or education, so they're very popular with trads, sahms, empty nest boomers, etc.

Midnight Voyager posted:

From my understanding, it's some really "oh we're so NAUGHTY~" type event even though everything is shockingly vanilla. It's really not conducive to a good sex toy buying experience, just entirely catered to white basic bitches getting a little thrill and giggling at fake dicks and making naughty~ jokes. Actively terrible if you want to be comfortable buying a sex toy.

Source: Old classmate has hit every MLM in existence.
But yeah, don't buy anything from these. Same as with any pyramid scheme, if the product were actually good, they would sell it normally at a store or on the internet and make money from people who actually wanted to buy it. They wouldn't need to make all their money from idiots who buy stuff to resell it to bigger idiots.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

it's true, mlms sully the pure dildo party experience

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Mx. posted:

That dude who had the jack circle with his friends, from their teen years, could get into this poo poo.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://bottlesoup.com/2018/06/10/pure-romance-financial-opportunity/

quote:

So 39 of these babies each month at $189 a pop. Also an additional 8 in the first month to recoup your investment. So 47, total, in month one to earn the equivalent of a minimum wage job and recoup your starter kit costs.

Hope your friends really fuckin love dildos.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

There it is. And that's if you sell everything.

AITA for confronting my mom when I found evidence of her cheating?

quote:

My f(18) mom (47) and dad (56) met when they were 24 & 33, my mom was in grad school and my dad was established in his career. My parents love each other and have a healthy relationship, she bakes him cookies when he has a bad day, she has depression so he’ll sit with her and tell her dumb jokes to make her laugh, they even have the same birthday. My twin brother (Alex) lives with our parents and I live nearby. A few days ago I took my moms phone to get some pictures, her password is obvious, and I saw a picture of my mom kissing another guy. I sent it to myself and deleted the text. I didn't look at any more photos but I’m sure I would have found more.

She hates cheaters cause her dad cheated on her mom and it really hurt her. While my parents were out on their hike and Alex was out, I snooped around. I found an area in my moms walkin closet that had a ton of sex stuff (it was basically like dildos and vibrators and some leather stuff). I doubt my dad even knows it’s there, there were also some skimpy outfits that my mom has never worn, she’s really fit and has a great body but she never wears anything too short or tight or low cut. The dress she is wearing in the picture was in the closet so I took it.

Later when my parents came back I told my mom I needed to talk to her so we went to the kitchen while my dad went upstairs. Before my mom could say anything I threw the dress and my phone on the counter and she went white. She grabbed the dress and phone and asked where I got this and told me that I had no right looking through her things. That set me off. I started crying and yelling, I asked her how she could cheat on my dad, I called a liar and a cheater, I also called her a whore ( I feel bad about that). At this point my dad came downstairs and I told her that she ruined our family and that she was no better than her father. She looked at me like I stabbed her.

She just put my phone down on the counter and told me to get out. My dad asked me what was going on and I was crying so hard and I tried to explain to him what happened but he asked me to go home and told me he’d call me later. I went outside and waited for Alex in my car. When I told him he hugged me told me to get home safe. I told my best friend and she said maybe my parents were swingers but I don’t think so, they love each other too much. Alex texted mom hadn't left the room, he thinks my mom is ashamed or humiliated but he told me that I was an rear end in a top hat for how I acted and what I said. I don’t feel bad about going through my moms stuff and confronting her.

I feel bad about calling her a whore but she says I’m still an rear end in a top hat, my dad is too upset to call me but told Alex he wants me to return my house key and not visit. I feel like my dad knew she was cheating and they dealt with it privately. But why would she keep that photo on her phone? I don’t think I’m an rear end in a top hat for wanting the truth?
(added paragraph breaks)

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for kicking my sister out of my house at night because she threw ALL of my food away?

quote:

I seriously can't believe this is a thing, but my parents are really upset at me.

My sister and I grew up together but aren't very close. It really wasn't from any drama (we didn't have a big fight to cause distance), but rather just have opposite personalities and interests. If I had to describe my attitude towards my sister it would be "apathetic love". Like, she's my sister so I want her to be healthy and happy, but we just unfortunately don't hang out, call to chat, etc.

She recently received an opportunity to interview for a job near our hometown, and reached out to see if she could stay with me for a week. My mother was ecstatic that my sister might be "coming home finally". She moved across the county right after college and hasn't been back in almost 10 years except for Christmas (she spends Thanksgiving with her in-laws) or the one off birthday/business trip/vacation.

I was more than happy to open my home up, thinking that we could maybe bond or deepen our relationship. It was all kind of awkward but nothing horrible until the third night. I came home from drinks with my friends around 10PM, went into my kitchen for a snack, and realized that almost ALL of my food was gone.

I'm not even exaggerating. I swear 90% of my pantry was just gone. I asked my sister and she told me that she was shocked I ate anything with preservatives and "unnatural" and that I was "poisoning my body" so she took it upon herself to throw away EVERYTHING she deemed unhealthy.

Guys, I'm talking about SO much food both packaged and unpackaged. Even things like spices that weren't fresh were tossed! It was like someone had robbed my kitchen. I demanded that she pay to replace everything, but she dug her heels in and said that she was doing me a favor and that the way I ate was "disgusting" (her literal words). I know I'm biased, but my diet isn't even crazy. It's pretty much standard food you'd find at any grocery store.

I was so upset I made her pack up and leave, and she ended up having to take a cab about 30 minutes away to stay with my parents. My mom is absolutely devastated that we're fighting and insists that I apologize in order to keep the peace, because she really hopes my sister will take the job and move back.

I told my mom that if she wanted to lose not one, but both daughters then she'd keep pushing me to apologize for something I feel I have a right to be upset about. My dad says that she's been crying every night though, and I love my mom so much I feel like a huge AH for being stubborn about the situation.

OP's sister didn't throw away her parents food after she got kicked out to there, that was just a special treat for sis :angel:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for confronting my mom when I found evidence of her cheating?

I'm gonna go with "parents are happy swingers but would rather burn down their relationship with their child than try to explain it"

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for jokingly saying I'll wear white to my best friend's wedding?

quote:

My (26f) best friend (27m)and I have been best friends since primary school. We used to do everything together and sometimes both of our parents would joke about how we are going to end up getting married and after that we always joked about being like a married couple. That was a joke we had since childhood and we had no romantic feelings for each other at all. We also had a running joke about how we'd actually marry each other if we were both 30 and still single. I'm being honest all of that was a joke nothing more. When he started dating his fiancée 5 years ago he immediately put an end to these jokes, he stopped joking around with me like that and I was hurt and whenever I used these jokes he'd tell me to stop it. This hurt my feelings a lot because our friendship and our inside jokes suddenly stopped once he got a gf.

Tbh his fiancée never seemed to like me and there are many examples of her being jealous of me. My friend and I kept being friends but he had actually changed his attitude towards me by a lot. Once in a while I'd throw one of these jokes around and he'd side eye me as a hint to stop.

A month ago he threw a surprise proposal/engagement party for his fiancée. Some of our friends were included and invited but I was not for some reason. I told him I'm mad that he wouldn't consult me about the engagement, the ring or the party and he said that this isn't about me and he didn't have to do poo poo to please me. He was really mean to me and I was starting to get tired.

I've tried time and time again to prove that the jokes we had were simply jokes and nothing more but they wouldn't care. One time I met them after their engagement party at my bff's bday party and I jokingly said to his fiancée "oh look at you, you're so gorgeous that you managed to steal my future husband and made him yours, wouldn't mind if I wore white to the wedding so I can at least be a bit happy too?" I was saying all that in a sarcastic joking manner but the bride and her parents got offended and my bff was mad at me. I explained I was simply joking and that I wasn't planning to wear white and I'm actually planning to wear my favorite emerald dress. Once I said that the fiancée realised I was talking about a dress my bff had bought me and she was LIVID and idk why she was mad with the emerald dress. My bff told me to leave and that we need to have a talk at one point.

Later I find out that I was uninvited. My bff said the decision was his and his fiancées. But I'm almost certain the decision was not his but only the bride's and her parents since they're paying and my bff can't argue with that.

Some of our friends who were present said I brought this to myself and that's what I get for acting like an AH but they shouldn't uninvite me and should give me a second chance. AITA?

But... but... but... they were all just inside jokes! They were SO funny and SO hilarious!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Antivehicular posted:

I'm gonna go with "parents are happy swingers but would rather burn down their relationship with their child than try to explain it"

Idts. If they were swingers, the mom probably would've said something like "don't worry about it" versus "where did you get that" and throwing her out points more to cheating than swinging, even if they didn't want to simply explain the situation to her.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for jokingly saying I'll wear white to my best friend's wedding?

But... but... but... they were all just inside jokes! They were SO funny and SO hilarious!

Nothing improves jokes more than repeatedly trying to explain them. Nothing makes them more lovable and credible than repeating them despite opposition.

Edit:

quote:

The only reason I refuse to drop the jokes is because that's how I am as a person, I like to joke around a lot and I want them to realise how it's simply a joke and I intend no harm by it.

Hey, OP, I've got a joke for you.

"Knock knock!"
"Who's there?"
"Acidvatfor!"
"Acidvatfor who?"
"You!"

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 23, 2022

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

Idts. If they were swingers, the mom probably would've said something like "don't worry about it" versus "where did you get that" and throwing her out points more to cheating than swinging, even if they didn't want to simply explain the situation to her.

That could be related to the going through all her mom’s poo poo though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ah yes, "jokes," that classic social concept of "saying things that aren't funny and which upset people."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Should I take a drug test to please my wife

quote:

Hi everyone I’m 34, my wife and I have been going through some bad times for the last couple of months. We have a 2 year old. Recently in the last 2-3 weeks she has accused me of doing hard drugs with needles. I’m an auto technician and scratches on my hands and arms are and have always been a thing. She is saying some of these scratches and cuts are track marks and so on. When she first accused me I was in shock, I told her I would take a drug test, she then went surprised me with tests a couple days later. I took the test knowing I would pass. She later said that they were drug screenings and not as valid as a test.

Our marriage is falling apart, trust is almost non existent. She’s a stay home mom and has my son 99% of the time. Tomorrow is my day off and I expressed to her I want to bond with my son 1:1 since we rarely get time alone. She said only after I’m honest to her about everything will she allow me to be with my son alone. I have told her the truth time and time again. I’m to the point where I’m about to pay 1000$ for a hair follicle drug test because it goes back 90+ days. I’m trying to contact a recommended Lawyer. Should I go and take this drug test for my own protection if she makes drug accusations in court down the line?