Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Whyyyyyyyyyyy would you open the door???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

BOOTY-ADE posted:

This is confusing...why the hell did that person stop on the bridge like that? I looked up where it is, there's no lights/signs they'd have to stop for on either end. Article didn't mention any traffic or accidents either, no idea what that doofus was trying to do.

People are really really good at freezing during emergencies, I assume they stopped cause they saw the lights on the other side and then just panicked and froze up once the bridge started going up.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

B-Rock452 posted:

People are really really good at freezing during emergencies, I assume they stopped cause they saw the lights on the other side and then just panicked and froze up once the bridge started going up.

Barrier out of frame maybe? I know a couple of the smaller bridges like that here the barrier arm is less than a car length from the joint. Obviously it would break away if you hit it, but you see the same thing at rail crossings where people won't just run the barrier.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
We have a small, walk-behind forklift at work. We just have a weird grade at our dock so it's easier to have this than the full-sized fork we used to use to get pallets off of trucks. This little thing still weighs 4500+ pounds, and could easily kill someone if they got struck or trapped by it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Mozi posted:

argon all gone :smith:

a noble sacrifice

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

BOOTY-ADE posted:

This is confusing...why the hell did that person stop on the bridge like that? I looked up where it is, there's no lights/signs they'd have to stop for on either end. Article didn't mention any traffic or accidents either, no idea what that doofus was trying to do.

They had crossed late and got caught behind the gates on the far side of the bridge. If you were in that situation, at least up until the bridge actually starts going up and lifting our car in the air, would you smash through the gates with probably hundreds or thousands of dollars of damages, or would you sit tight and assume that the bridge attendant would notice and open the gates or something to let you out?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

James Woods posted:

Two Graders were no match for the Killdozer.

Didn't realize Killdozer was a mod.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Didn't realize Killdozer was a mod.

:vincefrog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7pLx2Je-BU

came actually to post this as it appeared in my feed. Ouch those backs

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

They had crossed late and got caught behind the gates on the far side of the bridge. If you were in that situation, at least up until the bridge actually starts going up and lifting our car in the air, would you smash through the gates with probably hundreds or thousands of dollars of damages, or would you sit tight and assume that the bridge attendant would notice and open the gates or something to let you out?
There is several car lengths of space between where they stopped and the gates on that side so there was plenty of space to continue moving forward without smashing through anything. It looks like they actually stopped at the pedestrian gate.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

CheshireCat posted:

There is several car lengths of space between where they stopped and the gates on that side so there was plenty of space to continue moving forward without smashing through anything. It looks like they actually stopped at the pedestrian gate.

I don't think most people really know exactly how drawbridges work or where, without hindsight, would have been a safer place. I suspect they thought stopping 30 feet from the operator's booth was a good spot, which... it probably should have been.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Scholtz posted:

I spent a while watching it, trying to figure out why they didn't just gun the engine as soon as they felt the road tipping up, and I'm guessing that the perspective makes the growing gap look a lot smaller than it actually was. I assume they probably also froze for a while, then had the idea to run to safety but their view of jumping across that gap probably looked pretty terrifying by that point.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's really a shame you can't see inside due to the glare, it'd be interesting to know wtf they were doing the whole time

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

BOOTY-ADE posted:

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

mobby_6kl posted:

It's really a shame you can't see inside due to the glare, it'd be interesting to know wtf they were doing the whole time

Just gotta finish this text real quick

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
FC/Cabover chat, I'm a bus driver and we sit 6-8ft in front of the wheels, it's fine as long as you've got a nice air ride like a volvo or scania. The OSHA part of bus driving in the UK is the strong part of the chassis doesn't really extend under the cab so you're literally the crumple zone and there's no seatbelt. They're rear engined, like a porsche so that's not helping you either.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

To add to the Forward Control chat: I had a 66 Ford Econoline in my teens. It took about a month of me daily-driving it everywhere before I realized that it was killing my rear end and back. Driving from Phila. to Hackensack to visit my girlfriend left my rear end numb. And it was loud, even after I insulated & paneled the interior.

I have a ‘65 Econoline pickup now, and the ride is fine, not a modern car by any stretch - but it’s not my DD so it hasn’t been a torture.

Having nothing in front is a little disconcerting, but It seems to bother the folks I pull up behind in traffic a bit more, to see this huge windshield like, in their trunk.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
My favorite thing about the drawbridge thing is the operator said they didn't see the car despite there obviously being a camera pointed directly at it, so either that camera didn't have a monitor in the booth which is criminally bad design, or the operator didn't even bother to glance at the bridge before opening it.

glynnenstein posted:

I don't think most people really know exactly how drawbridges work or where, without hindsight, would have been a safer place. I suspect they thought stopping 30 feet from the operator's booth was a good spot, which... it probably should have been.

I blame Blues Brothers being a better movie than Maximum Overdrive despite being much less accurate in depicting driving over a drawbridge.

Scholtz posted:

Planning to jump off the bridge before the gap opens enough to drop the car into the water, but realizing that option is no longer available?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r2lms6I8k91yri6y0.mp4

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Why would crashing the gate be hundreds of thousands of dollars? Figured it'd be cheaper than what happened.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ILL Machina posted:

Why would crashing the gate be hundreds of thousands of dollars? Figured it'd be cheaper than what happened.

Hundreds or thousands. I could see getting stuck with a bill for hitting breakaway barriers for a couple grand, even if the damage to my car was only in the hundreds.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Devor posted:

Hundreds or thousands. I could see getting stuck with a bill for hitting breakaway barriers for a couple grand, even if the damage to my car was only in the hundreds.

All damage to a car is in thousands.

My cheap as poo poo car got backed in to and the door and front quarter panel were just about total but not quite. So I got a big fat check from the insurance.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Is this what they call as 'edging'?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

These rule, they are useful for keeping winter roads in shape. Unfortunately someome seem to think they should be removed from service, down from 400ish to 68 nation wide I hear.

Huh? This can't be right. My little rural county in Bumfuck-Nowhere in the southern US has at least 2 of them.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
My hometown of Anchorage AK only uses graders, they have a bunch of em. The few actual plow trucks dont work for poo poo, you get much better clearance with graders.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Unperson_47 posted:

Huh? This can't be right. My little rural county in Bumfuck-Nowhere in the southern US has at least 2 of them.

He's talking about state owned graders in Finland. At some point someone decided that they should be sold away so road care services could be bought from private corporations. Most of the graders were however exported and private road keepers are too cheap to invest in new ones :laugh:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
it's kind of surreal to sit on the front porch in the dark and quiet and watch a grader spew sparks all over the peaceful landscape

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Here's a Street View link to the drop arm barrier on the E. Ocean Ave in the video
https://goo.gl/maps/rQ9YTNJAKBG8DKRt8

And here's what looks like a bigger, beefier version on the Main Street bridge in Green Bay, WI
https://goo.gl/maps/xdaMrRq7moW1ZDVYA

and a quote from B&B Roadway identifying the gates on the Main Street Bridge as the VW-5 Vertical Warning Gate with the full unit cost being $33060 and replacement arms costing $4190.
B&B's website, the ones on the bridge in the video appear to be the VW-4 model https://bbrss.com/product/vw-4-vertical-warning-gate/

What this tells us is:
-Apparently "Vertical Warning Gate" is the name of that piece of equipment.
-Ram the thing and it's going to cost you half of what it will if you hit a utility pole.

And my conclusions are:
-I apparently have too much free time.
-The driver probably screwed up and stopped not because of cost, but because we've been pretty well conditioned not to ram a safety gate under any circumstances.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 22, 2022

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

A few year ago, someone bought a James Bond car and crashed it into a rock almost immediately after pulling out of the dealership, then proceeded to blame everyone but herself.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Lazyhound posted:

A few year ago, someone bought a James Bond car and crashed it into a rock almost immediately after pulling out of the dealership, then proceeded to blame everyone but herself.

Ha!

quote:

Liu used – and then dispensed of – four different law firms before eventually representing herself and asking the court to award her personal “pain and suffering” damages worth $300,000, as well as a brand new Aston Martin.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crankit posted:

The OSHA part of bus driving in the UK

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Lazyhound posted:

lol this rules

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'd take one even with a 6' bed. 4.5 sucks for carrying sheet goods. 6' is long enough to make it work with the gate down.

The maverick is specifically designed to be able to carry sheet goods. They actually put a lot of thought in to making it functional in many ways while maintaining the small size.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
This showed up on my feed, probably because of you fucks, so here. A bunch of sketchy ship launches

https://youtu.be/w4TdvOYuefg

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Not very enticing...

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*equips crowbar and jumps on in*

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Yes, hello? I need the biggest can of lubricant you have.

No, that's too big

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

ILL Machina posted:

This showed up on my feed, probably because of you fucks, so here. A bunch of sketchy ship launches

https://youtu.be/w4TdvOYuefg

It still baffles me that with all our advanced technology and regulations and whatnot, when building multi-million dollar ships, the final step is still "now chuck it in the water".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Rysithusiku posted:

It still baffles me that with all our advanced technology and regulations and whatnot, when building multi-million dollar ships, the final step is still "now chuck it in the water".

Even if it weren't we'd still gently caress it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaLpX5AQbD4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rysithusiku posted:

I think you could use a drydock and flood it instead, except then you're tying up an expensive drydock for the entire duration of construction.