Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I solved my Charles problem by making friends with Louis the Stammerer and getting him in on my murder plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Nothing like winning a big tyranny war and getting to seize half the realm then spend twenty minutes handing it all back out to dynasty members. Feels so fresh and clean!

e: lmao one of my rebelling vassals got captured by one of my allies, so the game still let him refuse to hand over his duchy and start a war from prison.

Eldoop fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 22, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Eldoop posted:

Nothing like winning a big tyranny war and getting to seize half the realm then spend twenty minutes handing it all back out to dynasty members. Feels so fresh and clean!

I just did the same thing! I had an uncle who hated me and a duchy I wanted. Didn’t matter that I granted him a new duchy right before I tried to revoke the other one. I just decided I’d rather fight the tyranny war and revoke the titles to give out to my kids.

Hopefully my steward points will help me recover with the vassals I still have.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Question: have you guys ever seen your artifacts "level up" after being used in combat? Like, after 50 or so battles, your purple armor gets a Diablo-esque prefix-suffix that adds another modifier? I had it happen during my first run of Royal Court but I'm not seeing it happen in subsequent playthroughs. I had some absurd purple armor that had like 2 prefixes and suffixes before I quit that game.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

toasterwarrior posted:

Question: have you guys ever seen your artifacts "level up" after being used in combat? Like, after 50 or so battles, your purple armor gets a Diablo-esque prefix-suffix that adds another modifier? I had it happen during my first run of Royal Court but I'm not seeing it happen in subsequent playthroughs. I had some absurd purple armor that had like 2 prefixes and suffixes before I quit that game.

It doesn't seem to be working as it should, and seems to require you wearing the artifact and leading the army.

All I've seen happen is armor getting +0.10 prestige after having been in 15 battles, but nothing else I had equipped leveled up.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

toasterwarrior posted:

There's an explanation for how that works on the wiki.

https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Artifacts#Improving_artifacts

My first playthrough, I had a dynasty that did so much battling that their first lovely set of armor ended up better than any fresh purple.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the link!

Yeah I dunno what's up, I like playing with Haesteinn so raiding is the name of the game, along with dunking on hundreds of defending armies while I run around stealing poo poo. That's probably why I managed to get my purple armor so tricked out.

I don't know why it seemingly worked alright on RC's release day but now barely, if ever, procs. I wonder if adding multiple mods to my list may have affected the mechanic.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That's interesting, I've seen the upgrades firing once or twice, and even upgrading from brown tier to blue, but it's like a once per campaign thing. And I nearly always have my guy leading the army.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Holy god

So I decided for a bit of a change from melting pot madness and decided to try a start I've never tried before. Count Eudes. I get a puppy! The puppy runs off... and loving Haesteinn skinned him. Haesteinn skinned my dog. I am fourteen years old. WHAT THE HELL HAESTEINN.

Well guess what, I just murdered you and took your county from your son. Gave it to my brother.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 22, 2022

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Midnight Voyager posted:

Holy god

So I decided for a bit of a change from melting pot madness and decided to try a start I've never tried before. Count Eudes. I get a puppy! The puppy runs off... and loving Haesteinn skinned him. Haesteinn skinned my dog. I am fourteen years old. WHAT THE HELL HAESTEINN.

Well guess what, I just murdered you and took your county from your son. Gave it to my brother.

Wait. He did the exact same thing when I played as Eudes!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCDNAJxdsYY

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
So far, my favourite (just in terms of flavour) Royal Court events are Aladdin coming to marry your daughter , The <culture>-ophile that has studied the blade , and the tooting Jester.

Just managed to hybridise my early medieval Tibetan (Sumpa) culture into High-Medieval Nepalese and get 10 innovations but keep the Hills/Mountain bonuses (15% cheaper buildings). Not bad - though I'm a little unsure how artifacts get inherited - it seems like it goes with the title from when it was created? Eg if you get/create the artifact as King, then become Emperor, they might not follow your player Heir if that wasn't your primary title.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Doing my first ironman game, and trying to "play tall" as bohemia in 867. I immediately converted to Catholicism but I'm having some trouble with these pesky pagans to the north. It won't hamper my innovation/development progress to conquer those lands, so long as I don't convert their culture, right? I'm thinking I do that and keep them for a generation before handing them out to dynasty members and make independent again.

Is there some other way to spread Catholicism? I gather you used to be able to kidnap rulers and force convert them, but no longer.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm gonna take a break from this game after two Haesteinn games...and when I get back once the first post-RC patch comes out, I'm going to do Haesteinn Netherlands. Gonna gently caress over Western Europe again and reinvest the money into delicious polders.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Doing my first ironman game, and trying to "play tall" as bohemia in 867. I immediately converted to Catholicism but I'm having some trouble with these pesky pagans to the north. It won't hamper my innovation/development progress to conquer those lands, so long as I don't convert their culture, right? I'm thinking I do that and keep them for a generation before handing them out to dynasty members and make independent again.

Is there some other way to spread Catholicism? I gather you used to be able to kidnap rulers and force convert them, but no longer.

You only really need to spread religion if you're looking for long-term stability or holy site stuff. 'Fastest' (and I use that phrase loosely) way is to force convert some vassals and so their own chaplain will eventually get around to it. Ditto with culture. Inserting a mismatched religion/culture ruler into a foreign realm via inheritance generally just gets them deposed I found, so I don't bother.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Is there a guide somewhere on artifact rarity? I can’t tell whether Famed or Masterwork is better

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I think it is WoW loot color rules: grey -> green -> blue -> purple.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

BigPaddy posted:

I think it is WoW loot color rules: grey -> green -> blue -> purple.

Yeah, I agree, judging by the durability of the items.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Is there a guide somewhere on artifact rarity? I can’t tell whether Famed or Masterwork is better

Also if you forget in the moment most of the places where you can see artifacts allow you to sort by rarity.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Does anyone else have the problem with the culture head's learning not updating after succession? It only shows the right learning after I restart the game.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

TaurusTorus posted:

Does anyone else have the problem with the culture head's learning not updating after succession? It only shows the right learning after I restart the game.

Yep :/

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TaurusTorus posted:

I noticed this, too.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Has anyone played with the increased stability game rules? Does it noticeably stop the AI from constantly being at war with itself?

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Fun stuff. I did a holy war against Bohemia at the earliest start with the duke of Austria. For the duchy. After I won it suddenly I lost the whole duchy again about one year after. There was of course a peasant uprising coming because they are not catholic and according to the game it was targeted on me. However I guess my liege was the target and he gave into their demands. Playing a vassal in this game is so stupid. Too bad as I was planning to try the new features and hybridize czech and bavarian culture.

No idea why I bought this DLC. I never learn.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 23, 2022

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I restarted a Daura game recently, and have enough land to get the Kanem-Bornu kingdom, and have sliced off the eastern part of Guinea. I wanted to farm renown by releasing a kingdom inside my borders (whatever is to the east of Guinea) so they don't get trounced by external threats and they don't go conquering and messing my pretty borders.

Will Queen Random Daughter#3 get land inside Kanem Bornu and be annoying after Daurama dies if I grant her independence, or will the game prevent her from getting more stuff because she already has more than the other heirs?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I restarted a Daura game recently, and have enough land to get the Kanem-Bornu kingdom, and have sliced off the eastern part of Guinea. I wanted to farm renown by releasing a kingdom inside my borders (whatever is to the east of Guinea) so they don't get trounced by external threats and they don't go conquering and messing my pretty borders.

Will Queen Random Daughter#3 get land inside Kanem Bornu and be annoying after Daurama dies if I grant her independence, or will the game prevent her from getting more stuff because she already has more than the other heirs?

She will get stuff. The game will not count the land she owns in independent territory against the land she is owed as part of your succession, so she'll still get her share of that in addition to whatever she has in her own independent domain.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

TjyvTompa posted:

There's obviously something wrong with factions, just as you have discovered. They did not behave like this in earlier versions. Specifically your vassals love creating and joining factions and they also take their sweet time leaving factions once they hit 100 relationship.

Hit this several times since patch and boy it's unfun on ironman. I guess I'll take a break again till it's patched.

e: also still annoyed that kingdom titles are created upon death to break up your kingdom. that really should be fixed

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 23, 2022

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

guidoanselmi posted:

Hit this several times since patch and boy it's unfun on ironman. I guess I'll take a break again till it's patched.

e: also still annoyed that kingdom titles are created upon death to break up your kingdom. that really should be fixed

Thats kind of how gavelkind / partition works though? Lots of ways around it even early game if you abuse elective succession or just start the game when regular partition or primogeniture is researched already.

You do you I guess but there are players both on SA and Paradox forums who don't have faction issues. I posted some suggestions and people in this thread also posted some stuff I didn't think of like culture malus.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/too-much-rebels.1512731/

Not gonna just sit here and say 'nah-uh' but people have continent wide empires but apparently you should just ignore us?

Do you have a save game I could take a look at tonight? I am far from the best CK3 player but I just want to see what other people are doing.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

guidoanselmi posted:

Thats how it works with confederate partition

In my game I didint noticed anything wrong with factions. People usually take a month or two to leave a faction after you increase their opinion of you but it always been like that

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the factions aren't too bad as a player, the issue is that the AI cannot handle it at all.

guidoanselmi posted:

That is very explicitly working as designed. It's the whole point of Confederate Partition in comparison to Partition.

Fat Samurai posted:

If you make them independent (of you, you can share a common liege and this still applies) everything you've given them no longer counts against their partition share, meaning they get more.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
I've really come around on the more intense factions, I feel like I've been having to actively manage my vassals in a way I haven't in the past. The thing I've wanted from CKIII for a while has been more interesting internal realm politics and the more unruly vassals and royal court stuff has been a nice big helping of that. I'm still playing the game I started as Toulouse when the DLC hit, and it's been very fun and dynamic having to constantly battle internal tensions, getting deposed and retaking the throne, corralling back all the kingdoms breaking off because they're not de jure part of Francia, desperately trying to break up big blocks forming in my realm, etc. I do wish some of the things around factions were a little more clear in their feedback like more of an indication of whether a vassal is going to leave a faction and how to get them to beyond just forcing it with an alliance or whatever, but overall it's been a great time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Has anybody here attempted a Lingua Franca run yet? I've been mulling it in my head all night, really curious if it can be done without a tedious rear end WC

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
There ARE some bugs in 1.5 making factions too attractive/powerful (I'm aware of one in particular for claimants that would have earned a pretty solid facepalm and copious apologies in Steam comments if I had scripted it and pushed it to a mod release)

BUT, similar to partition succession, there are a TON of counterplays to factions available that a lot of the people who have been complaining about them since release either don't know about or refuse to employ, so experiences are going to vary widely between players, particularly accounting for skill disparities.

It's a messy discussion because there is genuinely part of the answer that is "this is one of the few challenging parts of the game at all, please just git gud" and part that is "there are like fifty million moving parts to our scripts and we occasionally gently caress some of them up, or just set that dial in a place where you would not, by design".

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Ah, thanks folks. I stepped away from CK3 for awhile waiting for RC to come out before starting new games so I must have forgotten.

Elias_Maluco posted:

In my game I didint noticed anything wrong with factions. People usually take a month or two to leave a faction after you increase their opinion of you but it always been like that

There's always one or two -100's, but I've been getting most opinions to 50-100 by council appointments, feasts, gifting, domestic affairs, and last minute marriages. I've gotten a few folks to leave factions, but primarily people stay put until revolt at +50 to +100.

MikeC posted:

Do you have a save game I could take a look at tonight? I am far from the best CK3 player but I just want to see what other people are doing.

I think I can dig up one non-ironman. I'll post it post-work.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I recently played a bit of a game using the neutered factions game rule and it did seem to make large empires more likely to form and less likely to be at war with themselves, constantly. Something to chew on as we all examine the current state of the game and its over zealous, bordering on nonsensical, factions problem

There is a balance yet to be found even with this rule. There shouldn't be ultra massive stable empires (aside from maybe Byzantium) sticking around for hundreds of years without internal challenge.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
My biggest issue is the artifact claimant spam, doesnt actually hurt but its annoying.

Also I got an awful bug where a claimant faction would form, disband the next day, the reform the day after that. Over and over again so it just spammed my notifications.

Personally I like it when my rule gets challenged and Im working through succession crises etc though. Makes the game fun. Going from count to king and back to a count, and have to work my way up again is cool

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

guidoanselmi posted:

Ah, thanks folks. I stepped away from CK3 for awhile waiting for RC to come out before starting new games so I must have forgotten.

There's always one or two -100's, but I've been getting most opinions to 50-100 by council appointments, feasts, gifting, domestic affairs, and last minute marriages. I've gotten a few folks to leave factions, but primarily people stay put until revolt at +50 to +100.

I think I can dig up one non-ironman. I'll post it post-work.

In my experience vassals will always leave when opinion of you is within 80-100

But as I said, it might take a month or two so you have to be early

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

Also I got an awful bug where a claimant faction would form, disband the next day, the reform the day after that. Over and over again so it just spammed my notifications.

This hit me, too.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Dorkopotamis posted:

There is a balance yet to be found even with this rule. There shouldn't be ultra massive stable empires (aside from maybe Byzantium) sticking around for hundreds of years without internal challenge.
I agree, including the player. In earlier patches (was it 1.4 that made factions gain discontent if there were other active factions?), it was incredibly easy to maintain your realm by the time you get to Empire level.

I'm in the middle of a Count to Emperor game in the east (formed my Empire of Ú or whichever accent it is), and only once have I had a faction actually trigger - I check them every few years and take down the top or second-highest faction member. Whether that's sway/befriend, fabricate hook, murder. The one time they triggered (I don't count peasants because generally they are trivial), I was in the middle of a sway scheme and got an event to make the dude my Friend which ended the war immediately.

But it's clear there's bugs or overtuned factions (or maybe the AI is not making any effort to appease them) because so many titles are changing hands constantly "installed by Faction Demand".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PancakeTransmission posted:

But it's clear there's bugs or overtuned factions (or maybe the AI is not making any effort to appease them) because so many titles are changing hands constantly "installed by Faction Demand".

Yeah, thats Ive been seeing too

Not only with big empires either, even regular kingdoms are constantly under war with factions trying to install this or that guy

I just never saw this 0 relation vassals not leaving a faction