Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I would be very surprised if Tessa doesn’t come out of this story alright in the long term. Her long descent ending badly in a final sense is too macabre for Cagle imo. Doesn’t seem like her style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also wouldn't fit the tone of the comic, but I've seen too many stories bungle the denouement of suicidal teens to not be a bit weary.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Finally caught back up.

:magical:

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Skippy McPants posted:

Hello, I wound up here as a result of the disillusionment in the Gunnerkrigg thread.

Same, except I wound up in the Gunnerkrigg thread because of the K6BD thread and never wound up reading it.

More worried about the infohazard dream lady than Tessa, this development is real bad news for her.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hello new readers! Who is your favourite character, and what about Zoe makes her your favourite?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Tenebrais posted:

Hello new readers! Who is your favourite character, and what about Zoe makes her your favourite?

Zoe is adorbs. HP is my favorite though because I can just hear Ashly Burch's voice reading all her lines.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

girl dick energy posted:

Zoe's theme is a 'magical pop remix' of Metal Mario, according to alt text, and I think I found something sorta fitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elha5xZJCbM

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Tenebrais posted:

Zoe is a solid 2nd place favourite right after Anemone.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Can't believe this thread would engage in such egregious Rue erasure.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bud will remember this

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tiny Myers posted:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Kicks.

Tessa is also very good, but less as a charter and more as a demonstration of craft. She is one of the better-realized examples of depression and unresolved trauma that I've encountered in fiction, and it's expressed in only a couple dozen pages. It's so well done that I honestly think the cracking panels bit was gouache and unnecessary. Cagle should have more faith in her ability to convey emotion and tone cause she's dang good at it.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 22, 2022

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Skippy McPants posted:

Also wouldn't fit the tone of the comic, but I've seen too many stories bungle the denouement of suicidal teens to not be a bit weary.

Pet peeve: weary is tired. Wary is cautious.

Please continue with your regular scheduled awesome comic thread.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

...sorry to immediately follow that up with another one, but 'gouache' is a kind of pigment, while 'gauche' is awkward, unsubtle, or unsophisticated.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Tiny Myers posted:

can confirm, Rue is rad as hell

e: seriously she's a witch that throws grenades, what isn't there to like

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

I like all of em tbh, playing favorites is a sucker's game. I actually didn't like Undine for a while because I went into the whole thing completely blind and I almost refused to believe for a couple pages that they'd kill off all the more interesting and colorful personalities to focus on The Mom Friend but that's the whole magic of the comic.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bonster posted:

Pet peeve: weary is tired. Wary is cautious.

Please continue with your regular scheduled awesome comic thread.

Joe Slowboat posted:

...sorry to immediately follow that up with another one, but 'gouache' is a kind of pigment, while 'gauche' is awkward, unsubtle, or unsophisticated.

Other people may scoff at your pedantry but I for one am happy to reinforce my vocabulary :)

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
Wait, but weary is fine in that context! "I've seen too many stories bungle the denouement of suicidal teens to not be a bit tired [by the propensity of stories to bungle this; and implicitly: my tiredness with the commonality of the trope is what makes me unwilling to assume that even an otherwise very good story will necessarily avoid this pitfall]."

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Reclaimer posted:

I like all of em tbh, playing favorites is a sucker's game. I actually didn't like Undine for a while because I went into the whole thing completely blind and I almost refused to believe for a couple pages that they'd kill off all the more interesting and colorful personalities to focus on The Mom Friend but that's the whole magic of the comic.

Try that in the throws of an anxiety based mental episode.
I'm sure some here could attest that I was a right rat bastard for a while.

The medicine helped.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 22, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

a computing pun posted:

Wait, but weary is fine in that context! "I've seen too many stories bungle the denouement of suicidal teens to not be a bit tired [by the propensity of stories to bungle this; and implicitly: my tiredness with the commonality of the trope is what makes me unwilling to assume that even an otherwise very good story will necessarily avoid this pitfall]."
:hmmyes:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The favorite/best character in Sleepless Domain is your Mahou shoujo OC, duh.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ConanThe3rd posted:

The medicine helped.

In the spirit of this page, throes :shobon:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Undine is the best character, hands down.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

In the spirit of this page, throes :shobon:

Was just gonna say that. lol.

While we're at it and just for reference, it's "linchpin" and not "lynchpin" - and it's "free rein" (as in horse reins) and not "free reign."

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

ConanThe3rd posted:

The medicine helped.

Yeah, it was pretty brutal but set the tone right.

Wittgen posted:

Undine is the best character, hands down.

I'm with HP on it being a tie.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Look, just because her role has been cut doesn't mean you can replace Cassidy as the best character in the comic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The shitposter in me loves this derail. The descriptivist in me is pouring over the conversation, but irregardless, for all intensive purposes, it passes the mustard.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I feel like these phrases are a diamond dozen, but I'm champing at the bit to get more Sleepless Domain.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Potsticker posted:

I feel like these phrases are a diamond dozen

girl dick energy posted:

The shitposter in me loves this derail. The descriptivist in me is pouring over the conversation, but irregardless, for all intensive purposes, it passes the mustard.

You sick fucks.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 23, 2022

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
well, you can lead a dead horse to water but you can't beat it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This thread is turning into a real doggy dog world.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Would such a world have a couple canine crepuscular periods?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Potsticker posted:

I'm champing at the bit to get more Sleepless Domain.

But this one is correct

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Joe Slowboat posted:

But this one is correct

Yeah, I thought it'd be amusing to mix a very wrong one with a correct one :>

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

a computing pun posted:

Y'know what? That's a good point.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

habeasdorkus posted:

Was just gonna say that. lol.

While we're at it and just for reference, it's "linchpin" and not "lynchpin" - and it's "free rein" (as in horse reins) and not "free reign."

I always thought free reign was far more evocative and I don't care if it was derived from horse reins, its awkwardly phrased that way and I like it better as a metaphor if its the freedom equal to being a sovereign ruler.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Free reign and chomping at the bit both make some sense and if they become the entirely dominant usage you can understand why. The one that really gets me is lynchpin. There's no such thing as a lynchpin! There's very much a thing called a linchpin!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
But thats just a spelling thing rather than an actual different word replacement, right? Most people aren't familiar with the spelling "linch" so of course they'd spell it the way they know that sound combination is usually spelled. Linch isn't even considered a real word anymore after all, and I'm not sure how the name for a hill became a type of pin anyway.

Whats real weird is that lynch is spelled with a y to begin with.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 23, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

habeasdorkus posted:

Free reign and chomping at the bit both make some sense and if they become the entirely dominant usage you can understand why. The one that really gets me is lynchpin. There's no such thing as a lynchpin! There's very much a thing called a linchpin!

Now there's both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

New page!