Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Deki posted:

I'm halfway through the wuxia style martial arts tournament. How close am I to vern/the ability to power pass and Jumpstart a new character? Because I'm not feeling paladin.

You can sequence break to Vern at any time after you hit 50.

Everyone should go to Vern as soon as they hit 50 because the questline unlocks daily quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The best part of this game is opening like 50 packs of harmony shards in 3 seconds and just explode green gems everywhere lol

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Taima posted:

The best part of this game is opening like 50 packs of harmony shards in 3 seconds and just explode green gems everywhere lol
They really nailed the Diablo-esque dopamine sound effect of them falling on the ground.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

Everyone should go to Vern as soon as they hit 50 because the questline unlocks daily quests.

how does that work? do you just go there and the cyan quest marker will update?

edit: I guess all that stuff is unlocked through separate purple quests. Sorry, my brain is hemorrhaging at this point from all the various systems in this game..

So my revised question now is, what do I get from doing all the cyan quest stuff from stern and onward?

d0grent fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 23, 2022

HungryHungryHobo
Jan 4, 2020
I'm at 850 ilvl and so far I'm fine with most of the complaints people have about this game. I don't mind the grinding, the cash shop isn't exactly making me want to empty my wallet, and the honing failure is annoying but not enough to make me hate the game.

gently caress all this timed content though. I've never seen an Island of the Day spawn. I saw an event yesterday that was only open at "Mon: 1pm, Wed: 1pm, Sat: 1pm" and I'm like well guess I'm never doing that hope it isn't important.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Is there a way to level up ship crew or do you just have to buy better ones?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

super sweet best pal posted:

Sounds good. Will keep on keeping on until I hit 50.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

acumen posted:

Are the islands actually faster at getting crafting mats than just smashing chaos rifts? Even once you're out of aura or whatever you get those other doodads that you can exchange for more blue/red/green crystals and standing in one spot grinding 5-min rifts seems to be faster than sailing and questing, no?

Okay checking back in here after doing the first one (Serenity Isle) on the maxroll T3 speedrun guide. Got like 1.5k red, 5.5k blue shards and a few other things in maybe 30-45mins. It's still pretty boring imo but that sure is a lot of crystals.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

d0grent posted:

how does that work? do you just go there and the cyan quest marker will update?

edit: I guess all that stuff is unlocked through separate purple quests. Sorry, my brain is hemorrhaging at this point from all the various systems in this game..

So my revised question now is, what do I get from doing all the cyan quest stuff from stern and onward?

You need to do all the story stuff to progress forward in the game. The continents after Vern are locked behind the main quest (and item level). I don't know if Powerpass is locked behind MSQ progress or just level 50 though. You've still got a good few hours left after the martial arts tournament (whole other continent)

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Powerpass is given after you finish Vern, and then another one is given to you after you use the powerpass the first time.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

HungryHungryHobo posted:

gently caress all this timed content though. I've never seen an Island of the Day spawn. I saw an event yesterday that was only open at "Mon: 1pm, Wed: 1pm, Sat: 1pm" and I'm like well guess I'm never doing that hope it isn't important.
The event notifications from compass are wrong & the island descriptions are very, very wrong & you can do these at night too. Allegedly you can check the calender, which I haven't even found, for more precise times. Realistically, check the event feed on the left. You can scroll hours into the future. I think the worst cycle is ~3 hours. Maybe 4.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
is there a class that has tons of easy counters the way scrapper has tons of easy stagger? after switching from Bard to Paladin I have discovered the joy of counters and it is now the only thing I want to do

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

acumen posted:

Okay checking back in here after doing the first one (Serenity Isle) on the maxroll T3 speedrun guide. Got like 1.5k red, 5.5k blue shards and a few other things in maybe 30-45mins. It's still pretty boring imo but that sure is a lot of crystals.

That guide is not nearly enough T1 crystals to hit the next tier. Its fatal flaw is that it gives you a good initial island route for making the mats to hone to 460 and get to Rohendel but that's it. Whatever leftover mats will maybe push you over 500 with standard chances, then it memory holes the huge chunks of materials required for the rest of the way to 600 and goes on with the T2 island route :confuoot:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

TeaJay posted:

Just finished gunlancering my first guardian Ur'Nil and I guess it went pretty alright, even managed to counter him a couple times (after generous reading build guides and stuff like "what counter is" beforehand) but was I just dumb but for the whole fight I had no idea how much health he had left. I could not see a healthbar anywhere and nothing on the sides of the screen showed it.

Now, if I could dare to step in some abyss dungeons..

Guardians and some other bosses have hidden healthbars. Also better rip off that abyss dungeon bandage sooner rather than later.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Soothing Vapors posted:

is there a class that has tons of easy counters the way scrapper has tons of easy stagger? after switching from Bard to Paladin I have discovered the joy of counters and it is now the only thing I want to do

The hardest part of being able to counter is being in position in front of the boss without constantly eating poo poo to its frontal attacks. Maybe Gunlancer?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Bleak Edge is a really cool dungeon and probably my new favorite. Nothing mechanically unique but really fantastic ambiance and a really cool last boss.

This game has some really cool setpieces.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Just did Phantom Palace 1 through matchmaking and my group actually communicated, learned, and completed it together. Pretty unusual to not have someone ragequit after dying to a mech the first time or everyone silently die repeatedly. Turns out it's really fun and satisfying with a cooperative group!

Also gunlancers are hella good man I can hit and stagger like a truck, facetank everything, and shield my bros. What a great class

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I had a similar experience tonight, you didn't happen to have a Bard with you did you? I almost quit a number of times but stuck through with it and it felt good as hell to beat it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've had really good luck with matchmaking for Guardians and Abysal. What I will say is that I'm getting sick of is people going afk in the random story dungeons. Minor inconvenience to get through without that person, but then ontop of that not being able to skip any cutscenes. :argh:

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 23, 2022

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

I had a similar experience tonight, you didn't happen to have a Bard with you did you? I almost quit a number of times but stuck through with it and it felt good as hell to beat it.

I honestly don't even know what the other classes were. We probably had a sorc? My gunlancer is Turah if so.

But yeah I think I'm gonna be trying to form goon groups first for these going forward.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

jokes posted:

I’m taking my time and I’m at like ilvl 340 or so and I feel like I am severely behind.

Lol.. my highest level character is 23 with ilvl 97.5 Can't forget the .5!

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Internet Explorer posted:

I've had really good luck with matchmaking for Guardians and Abysal. What I will say is that I'm getting sick of is people going afk in the random story dungeons. Minor inconvenience to get through without that person, but then ontop of that not being able to skip any cutscenes. :argh:

pretty weird theres no votekick system

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I always watch the cutscenes. Gets people real mad.

In Final Fantasy we respected the cutscene watchers. :corsair:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If someone wants to watch a cutscene, fine, I'll just tab out. But when the only person not voting to skip is AFK. :pressf:

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
this game is determined to make me angry.... lol

guess i will just have to wait until tomorrow!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pragmatica posted:

You got this! This is all because it use to be ilvl 600 was the hard cap. After you hit 600 you go back to upping those numbers quickly again.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Pragmatica posted:

Something that might help push you over… the 580 chaos dungeon (Rohendal L4) drops a shitload of perception shards to spend at the vendor. I was getting around 200 per run which is enough for a 1500 Harmony shard sack. You can clean that vendor out very quickly. Ship merchants outside Vern sell sacks too. If you need leapstones, the secret shop sells 15 leap stones for 15 crystals which is a steal.

If you need red fragments though… good luck. Everything sucks for those even guardian raids.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?
Lost Ark is a medieval fantasy MMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf1i_xtvBvE

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
My experience with abyssal dungeons using strictly matchmaking (no premade party stuff) is its pretty miserable. Maybe once people understand how these mechanics work the later tiers will be easier to do hopefully. Getting the entire group to stagger a boss within a few seconds is rough. Most people don't understand what skills have high stagger or not. You ask them to read their skills and they go "I don't have stagger" and then we fail to stagger the boss and cause a wipe. After a wipe or two one person will go "we can't stagger lets leave" and all 3 of them will refuse to try again and vote to disband.

Today I had a group for hildebrandt palace where two people were dead the majority of the run. The only ones alive were the bard and I. We failed the stagger for the last boss a couple of times. One person started feeling depressed but I suggested them to throw some whirlwind bombs, try to save their cooldowns for when the stagger happens, switch skills to high stagger etc etc. Even with my not so great group we managed to stagger and beat the boss. I don't know how the bard and I were able to do the light mirrors with only two people because I thought we needed 3 lights but maybe it bugged out for us. Before that I ran the dungeon about 5 times and each time it was a very quick disband because the group was frustrated with 1 or 2 wipes. Hall of the twisted warlord also had a stagger check but because of how that one works, only two people actually needed to hit the boss and stagger it so it wasn't as strict of a check.

Besidesf the stagger mechanic I found everything else in the game to be pretty enjoyable, if not fairly easy to do. Guardian raids are like monster hunter, you struggle your first few times but once you see the pattern you can stand in their blind spot and dps to your hearts content most of the time. I've also had people give tips like the fox fire giving a damage buff if you go in and take one tick of the breath when its tails glow pink. Chaos dungeons are like running maps in an arpg full screening everything and mountains of loot pour out. Except here you don't get one shot by some random ground effect you can't see. Nothing kills you here.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gishin posted:

Lost Ark is a medieval fantasy MMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf1i_xtvBvE

lol this game is insane.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
What are some good early game sailors to try and get to fill out my roster? I just have the two from the story and the 150 seed reward one.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I uninstalled on launch day at level 27 but gave the game another shot tonight and played through the castle siege. I still don't like it but I was able to figure out exactly what it is about it that I don't like (and now I realize that it's what held me back from liking a bunch of other ARPGs too).

In all of my years of ARPG playing the games have trained me to not methodically kill every single enemy in a pack of enemies - in most ARPG you use your big crowd clear skills once or twice to kill 90% of the pack and then move on to the next one. Picking off the rest of the enemies is an inefficient use of time that severely hampers your progress.

Last Ark is filled with constant encounters where you have to kill every single enemy though. So like you're doing a quest and it involves fighting 3 different packs of 15 mobs or whatever - you run up to one and you use a couple of your big 15 second crowd clear skill that kills 5 of them and wounds 9 others. Then you have to sit there and pick off each of the rest using super-weak attacks.

Not sure if it's my ADHD or way too many years of Diablo 2 et al but those little slow moments where I'm poking at the last two enemies with my basic soulfist attack because all 3 of my big skills are on cooldown are basically unbearable to me. Every time it happens I think "this is no fun".

I don't know why I have three skills that hit for 3500 damage, five skills that hit for 400 damage, and a basic attack that hits for 50 damage against enemies with ~4000 health but I wouldn't care if it didn't force me to sit here and use the 50 damage basic attack to pick off stragglers every two minutes :argh:

I guess that's what people meant by "It's an MMO, not an ARPG" though.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 23, 2022

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
I really hate how i'm trying to do a fun guardian raid or abyss and some berserker comes into it like 500 gearscore above the encounter and just carries me. I like... want to play the game you know?

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>

deep dish peat moss posted:

Last Ark is filled with constant encounters where you have to kill every single enemy though. So like you're doing a quest and it involves fighting 3 different packs of 15 mobs or whatever - you run up to one and you use a couple of your big 15 second crowd clear skill that kills 5 of them and wounds 9 others. Then you have to sit there and pick off each of the rest using super-weak attacks.

Not sure if it's my ADHD or way too many years of Diablo 2 et al but those little slow moments where I'm poking at the last two enemies with my basic soulfist attack because all 3 of my big skills are on cooldown are basically unbearable to me. Every time it happens I think "this is no fun".

this is definitely a problem when leveling that doesn't really exist at end game. characters can feel pretty sluggish early on.

i recently started leveling a new character from scratch, through story content, and the mobs are so spread out and move so slow, and your skills are split into like 2 strong long cd ones and 6 that are barely useable. it's miserable compared to most of the game's content. it gets better.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://lost-ark.maxroll.gg/category/build-guides

Just use this guy's leveling guides and spend the 4 seconds it takes to group up enemies to then blast the gently caress out of them with your AoE and clear the entire fight in basically one shot (unless you're a Bard or Paladin). Let yourself get hit, who cares, just use a potion to heal up and keep moving, the game hemorrhages them at you anyway and eventually you can craft them super easily.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Yup dumping all your points into one or two good hard-hitting skills is the way to go, you can finish most encounters with one or two skills and spend the cooldown time running to the next quest marker or pack of mobs.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

https://lost-ark.maxroll.gg/category/build-guides

Just use this guy's leveling guides and spend the 4 seconds it takes to group up enemies to then blast the gently caress out of them with your AoE and clear the entire fight in basically one shot (unless you're a Bard or Paladin). Let yourself get hit, who cares, just use a potion to heal up and keep moving, the game hemorrhages them at you anyway and eventually you can craft them super easily.

Also Bards are ridiculous AOE monsters from the get-go with Dissonance/Stigma so leveling is pretty simple; it’s single target that’s pretty dire on them until you get lvl 10 Soundholic and even then it’s merely ok.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Since we all got Una skip tickets today, what would be some good ones to actually skip due to how much of a pain in the rear end they are? Like ones that require a limited island event or take forever to do.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

ghostinmyshell posted:

Since we all got Una skip tickets today, what would be some good ones to actually skip due to how much of a pain in the rear end they are? Like ones that require a limited island event or take forever to do.

Well outside of skipping, you should check it this guide for the tasks to do to get skill points, island tokens, and giant hearts:

https://lost-ark.maxroll.gg/resources/unas-tasks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s lost ark because were finding arks. Or maybe they’re parts of an ark. Whatever it’s not last ark, the arks (ark?) are/isn’t disappearing they’re being lost.

But not lost like you lose money, the ark (or arks?) is here. Well, not here it (or they) needs to be found.