Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

realtalk, if anybody here is seriously considering migration, australia is as good and as safe as anywhere. i moan about it a lot, but it's about as racist as the uk, as uneducated as america and as violent as canada, so as a combination it's one of the better english-speaking destinations. choose the southern end of the country over the north if you can, the north has got it coming.

Im offended. Canadians arent violent. We are just unbearable passive aggressive assholes. :colbert:

Also you unleashed Rupert Murdoch on the world so your sins are just as many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Its times like this where I wish we still had a safe place to dunk on tankies

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Furnaceface posted:

Im offended. Canadians arent violent. We are just unbearable passive aggressive assholes. :colbert:

i don't like to seriously buy in to culture stereotypes, but i youtube randomly suggested a curling video on youtube involving two canadian teams dealing with a close call, and it was the most affable encounter between two teams i've ever seen, let alone over a close call

BigRed0427 posted:

i was worried the situation was going to get worse, but i don't see how anyone can take pleasure in having those kinds of fears vindicated. i think the steady descent into a bleaker and bleaker world has really been what's sapped most of my interest in caring about posting, it just seems so hollow now

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Furnaceface posted:

that was my point! city australians are unbearable passive aggressive assholes but they're far less likely to shoot you over a minor altercation than americans. the (white) people in the country are terrifying, but i'm sure (white) backwoods canadians are pretty dangerous too.

BigRed0427 posted:

i have not been able to bring myself to click on a single thread about russia right now. i don't want to know what the goons think, i don't care, there is not a single person on this site trustworthy to know anything about the situation except for kalstrams and i pray for him every night

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im in latvia, the worst thing that can happen to me is that ill accidentally order another pizza with sauerkraut and pickles

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im in latvia, the worst thing that can happen to me is that ill accidentally order another pizza with sauerkraut and pickles
:negative:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

dealing with the construction debris is honestly one of the harder parts of the whole operation. we can't leave it in place as habitat because the rivers here aren't very large and the material from the dam would basically smother it. so theocratically the concrete and metal goes to construction recycling and all the silt that's filled in behind the dam goes to replenish the local downstream beaches which have been eroding away because all the silt is trapped up stream. but getting permission to move everything in massive truck convoys, dealing with potential contamination from people illegally dumping hazardous materials, it all limits what can be done and means a mountain of paperwork. i'm glad i'm not at the stage where i'm making the big calls and dealing with those kinds of issues, dealing with the smaller issues around the margins is fine with me
oh no that all sounds like a nightmare

every time i think about what industrial construction has wrought upon the earth i want to scream

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

BigRed0427 posted:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If it weren't for my grandpa. We'd all be eating pizzas with sauerkraut and pickles.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

that was my point! city australians are unbearable passive aggressive assholes but they're far less likely to shoot you over a minor altercation than americans. the (white) people in the country are terrifying, but i'm sure (white) backwoods canadians are pretty dangerous too.

Canada is weird because our population is so spread out. Some of our backwoods folks are die hard NDP (our leftmost party) voters and those regions are a stronghold for the party. Move 2 provinces over and the backwoods folks are racist Evangelical lunatics that invade the capital and poop all over the street.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

is that where the taxi driver with the answers lives?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

It frustrates me that "'Murika has never done anything wrong, hoorah stars and stripes forever baby!" and "literally every single bad thing that happens in the world is America's fault" are two sides of the same stupid loving coin but people don't recognize it.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
it is amerika's fault though

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
both glad i am finally out of the army and somewhat sort of missing being in intelligence right now

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
my dad exclusively watches the australian version of fox news, but he also loves and adores russia and believes they can do no wrong, so he's developed a complex narrative where biden has masterminded this entire thing

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
as i understand it, zelensky started out on tv playing an everyday guy who accidentally becomes president, so the ukrainian people elected him president irl, and one of his main advisors is the guy who used to write his tv scripts

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

as i understand it, zelensky started out on tv playing an everyday guy who accidentally becomes president, so the ukrainian people elected him president irl, and one of his main advisors is the guy who used to write his tv scripts

i mean yes but this doesnt necessarily excuse russian crimes against humanity, i feel

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We’re in the phase where everybody wants to talk but nobody has anything worth saying yet

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Homura and Sickle posted:

i mean yes but this doesnt necessarily excuse russian crimes against humanity, i feel
oh no definitely not. i feel sympathy for zelensky, he is going to go down in history as a tragicomic figure

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989484

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
what a terrible day. i comfort myself by trying to think back to the last time things were good, and i remember that it's all been poo poo for at least my entire lifetime

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

We’re in the phase where everybody wants to talk but nobody has anything worth saying yet

strongly disagree, i think this conflict has a lot of stuff to reflect on for the IC because most of the stuff that was forecasted has been extremely correct so far, a rare victory for us intelligence. i've been walking through all this in the slack and so far the main thing i got wrong was i thought this would start at 4-5 am on the 22nd not the 24th

oh no definitely not. i feel sympathy for zelensky, he is going to go down in history as a tragicomic figure

i feel bad for the dude especially if the russians hang or poison him

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Homura and Sickle posted:

strongly disagree, i think this conflict has a lot of stuff to reflect on for the IC because most of the stuff that was forecasted has been extremely correct so far, a rare victory for us intelligence. i've been walking through all this in the slack and so far the main thing i got wrong was i thought this would start at 4-5 am on the 22nd not the 24th

i feel bad for the dude especially if the russians hang or poison him

That’s fair, I was mostly reacting to what I was seeing on Twitter

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

yeah, us intel was surprisingly on point, including calling specific provocations. didn’t matter in the end, but no amount of caution would turn putin into a human at this point

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

BigRed0427 posted:

it's probably for the best that the nazi pedo safe space got closed imo

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

exmarx posted:

it's probably for the best that the nazi pedo safe space got closed imo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

zelensky seems to be a decent guy with reasonably sound ideas, just no power base and so not really able to *do* much

out of all the big players here he's the only one i really feel for

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

V. Illych L. posted:

zelensky seems to be a decent guy with reasonably sound ideas, just no power base and so not really able to *do* much

out of all the big players here he's the only one i really feel for
i feel for him too. he was obviously trying to make his own kind of stand against putin from the start, plus he hosed with trump and we got "I WANT NOTHING I WANT NOTHING" out of it

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
democracy is idolatry

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
now is an era where we must be honest with ourselves and others

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

my dad exclusively watches the australian version of fox news, but he also loves and adores russia and believes they can do no wrong, so he's developed a complex narrative where biden has masterminded this entire thing
update: dad is sticking to his narrative. biden is like an evil wizard in his head, while somehow simultaneously also the stupidest man alive

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica
russia is an idol, kyiv is an idol, jerusalem is an idol

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Apparently Latvia asked Canada for more support so we are sending troops over and the plan is called Operation REASSUARANCE.

Kals, are you reassured?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

Apparently Latvia asked Canada for more support so we are sending troops over and the plan is called Operation REASSUARANCE.

Kals, are you reassured?

i can only be reassured when i can personally verify the quality of royal mountain emergency poutine supply

but yeah there was a photo-op for the arriving americans, and i'm certain we'll do the same for canada

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Furnaceface posted:

Kals, are you reassured?

i just imagine they're sending your old neighbors

now is an era where we must be honest with ourselves and others

fair enough

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i can only be reassured when i can personally verify the quality of royal mountain emergency poutine supply

but yeah there was a photo-op for the arriving americans, and i'm certain we'll do the same for canada
were you in the photos

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i just imagine they're sending your old neighbors

God I hope not. That couple was scary weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

were you in the photos

no, there was no buffet