Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Karloff posted:

Reeves's Apes films are incredible which garners him truckloads of good faith in my book.

They turned into a joyless slog a couple movies in.

Still think the Reeves-less first one is the best of that saga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Shageletic posted:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Shageletic posted:

gripping the fence like linda hamilton as I am vaporized by the heatwave from this nuclear take

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Shageletic posted:

I disagree. Far and away the best blockbusters of the last decade imo.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Shageletic posted:

I haven't seen the Reeves monke movies because the first one was so bad that I just noped out of the entire series.

Listen, I already got caught by seeing the Burton monke movie at the cinema and I have no patience for inferior reboots to what was a good series of original films that still hold up. (1, 3 and 4 at least.) If you people tell me the Reeves flicks are worth returning for, I'll cautiously consider it, but I'm still not over the first one going "p.s. the humans all suddenly died" near extinction of the human race that happened during the end credits, just casually thrown in there as if it's the least important thing to happen in the film.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Parkingtigers posted:

I haven't seen the Reeves monke movies because the first one was so bad that I just noped out of the entire series.

Listen, I already got caught by seeing the Burton monke movie at the cinema and I have no patience for inferior reboots to what was a good series of original films that still hold up. (1, 3 and 4 at least.) If you people tell me the Reeves flicks are worth returning for, I'll cautiously consider it, but I'm still not over the first one going "p.s. the humans all suddenly died" near extinction of the human race that happened during the end credits, just casually thrown in there as if it's the least important thing to happen in the film.

Uhh...

It kinda is. The ascension of the apes is the most important thing.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Samovar posted:

Uhh...

It kinda is. The ascension of the apes is the most important thing.

Monkies eat brain pills wasn't compelling for me, YMMV. Ape ascendancy being reliant on an off-screen apocalypse greatly undercuts it. Apocalyse stories are great. Post-apocalyse stories are great. Give me a pre-apocalyse story and then skip over the end of the world, and that's just narrative blue balls right there.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It is okay if the disaster is in the end credits and doesn't get its own film, the films aren't disaster pictures, they're metaphorical stories about revolution, conflict and warfare - the disaster exists to set the stage for a new status quo so the sequel can explore something different , nothing more . The first film is about revolution, and the second is about the complexities of how conflicts can begin despite the best intentions of some involved. With so many good guy/bad guy narratives in blockbuster cinema, Dawn's approach of having two sides both with valid yet competing and complicated agendas dealing with good and bad faith actors on either side is incredibly refreshing. The characters are incredibly rich, even the ostensible villain Koba has an extremely motivated and justifiable reason for his behaviour. Is a good film.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is basically on the level of "Say the line, Bart!" at this point but still fun to see.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
garfield looks like he's in the worst moment of his entire life

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

garfield looks like he's in the worst moment of his entire life

He is standing next to Tobey so it very well could be

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
We don’t like Tobey Maguire now?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

BrianWilly posted:

He's apparently a huge rear end in a top hat, Michael Cera in Molly's Game is reportedly based on him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

He is a weird rear end in a top hat sex pest so.. yeah.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

C3P0: We don't like Toby Macguire now!

BrianWilly posted:

Finn: We don't like Toby Macguire now...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Looks like he hangs out with Leo and creeps on women young enough to be his daughter

https://mobile.twitter.com/OKMagazine/status/1492550803869085698

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DiCaprio had a crew that called themselves the "Pussy Posse" that Maguire was part of.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hm. Seems mild to me, but maybe my canceldar needs calibrating.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Just like Leo constantly dumping girlfriends once they reach 25 it certainly seems mild compared to a Hollywood filled with outright sex predators, but it's enough to pierce the "likability bubble" granted by their leading roles

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was a huge rear end in a top hat in Molly Bloom’s underground power games and eventually stole the whole thing from her, which pissed off a lot of people who liked her and got him blacklisted by just about everyone except his buddy Leo and men in their 40s who can’t get over a few mostly bad movies from 20 years ago.

Sex pests are fine, but you don’t mess with poker.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Heh, look at this nerd who ages linearly

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BrianWilly posted:

Hm. Seems mild to me, but maybe my canceldar needs calibrating.

You can just not like someone without wanting them "cancelled". Being an rear end in a top hat is a sliding scale

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I am simultaneously "that's kind of hosed up" about Leo apparently having a hard age limit for his girlfriends AND the fact that someone bothered to collate the data of his girlfriends into an infographic

These are both kind of hosed up things in my estimation. Doesn't really affect his likeability, though, because I never liked him!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The United States posted:

Looks like he hangs out with Leo and creeps on women young enough to be his daughter

https://mobile.twitter.com/OKMagazine/status/1492550803869085698

Aphrodite posted:

DiCaprio had a crew that called themselves the "Pussy Posse" that Maguire was part of.

They even had their own movie that Maguire was a dick about in some way that I don't remember

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Eh, so long as they are legal consenting adults it doesn’t matter. Jokes on Leo, because nobody under the age of 25 knows how to gently caress. All I can think is that he dates young so they don’t know how poo poo in bed he is.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

This guy certainly has a type.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Brain development doesn't end until 25 so maybe he just doesn't like people with fully formed personalities.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Parkingtigers posted:

Eh, so long as they are legal consenting adults it doesn’t matter. Jokes on Leo, because nobody under the age of 25 knows how to gently caress. All I can think is that he dates young so they don’t know how poo poo in bed he is.

Ah, the Elvis Presley Stratagem.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Aphrodite posted:

Brain development doesn't end until 25 so maybe he just doesn't like people with fully formed personalities.

Yeah, do we know for sure he's dumping them? Because 25 is around when you're supposed to stop dating the kind of dudes that are/were apart of a "pussy posse".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I imagine that after so many years of it happening that everyone involved knows the drill by now.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I got James Urbaniak to reenact the funeral cheeseburger lines from Avengers Endgame for a friend's birthday. Thought you all would appreciate it.

https://twitter.com/Havocquarm/status/1496987174499241984?t=VnaFxGjso-CM4TjGFyw6jA&s=19

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Havoc904 posted:

I got James Urbaniak to reenact the funeral cheeseburger lines from Avengers Endgame for a friend's birthday. Thought you all would appreciate it.

https://twitter.com/Havocquarm/status/1496987174499241984?t=VnaFxGjso-CM4TjGFyw6jA&s=19

As a huge fan of both End Game and James Urbaniak I do appreciate it, my only question is

But y tho?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just booked tix for The Batman for a week after it opens. Gone are the days when I could stay awake for midnight screenings or care to go for opening weekends.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Madkal posted:

Just booked tix for The Batman for a week after it opens. Gone are the days when I could stay awake for midnight screenings or care to go for opening weekends.

The AMC near me has Thursday showings starting at 3 pm, it's wild.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is that the last one? Didn't make it that far, the one where there's only a few humans left and they're utterly boned by the military was pretty depressing.

Looks like I need to check this out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The United States posted:

Just like Leo constantly dumping girlfriends once they reach 25 it certainly seems mild compared to a Hollywood filled with outright sex predators, but it's enough to pierce the "likability bubble" granted by their leading roles

gently caress up that Leo ages linearly like everyone else

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQK-QxxtE8Y

This continues to look like poo poo.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Shageletic posted:

Is that the last one? Didn't make it that far, the one where there's only a few humans left and they're utterly boned by the military was pretty depressing.

Looks like I need to check this out.
This is from the second movie.

Movie 1 RISE - James Franco loves all the mistreated lab monkeys. Origin story of Caesar. End credits is humanity dying.

Movie 2 DAWN - You can start here. Almost all the humans are dead, monkey politics manipulates Gary Oldman and the remaining humans into going to war with apes. Basically about how Stalin betrayed the revolution. Has the most action.

Movie 3 WAR - Woody Harrelson is the last human commander waging war on apes but there's a twist, all humans wiped out at the end. Dark and depressing but with an uplifting ending. Basically the story of Moses leading the Israelites out of captivity in Egypt and to the promised land.

The titles are confusing because it really should have been DAWN, RISE, WAR if you think about it.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 28, 2022

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Batman reviews beginning to trickle in. Largely very positive, a cursory look has some saying "among the best super-hero films ever" to "a better Batman film than a film on its own terms". The couple negative ones I saw suggested it fell short of and felt too similar to previous Batman stuff.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The common complaint in the reviews is the movie to too long.