Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I'm excited for the Front Mission remake. It absolutely came out of left field during that direct.

Can't wait to see my boy Roid and his puffy hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Palmtree Panic posted:

A new Chrono game would be the dream, but I've given up hope a long time ago.

HD-2D is ideal for remaking the SNES games that were never localized. Live a Live looks stunning in that style. HD-2D seems to bring more attention than a translated port of the original.

It would be great if Square-Enix remakes Terranigma & Treasures of the Rudras.

It's pretty insane that these games are finally being ported to American shores.

If only the Genesis catalog can go the same route.

Takoluka posted:

were people saying that live a live is not worth full price or something

People were outright mocking it. Unfortunately 2D games still have that "budget" taint attached to it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

b_d posted:

i got unsighted and deedlit and they both kick rear end. deedlit slows down sometimes but not in an annoying way.

i finished deedlit over the weekend and it was great. not as engaging or difficult as touhou luna nights imo but still very well crafted

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

putting ikaruga in a castlevania is pretty funny + cool

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i like the way healing works too. i liked hollow knight's system for letting you recover by engaging in combat and this one also does that in a different way.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
ikaruga mechanics are ftw

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I got second place once in t99 and I never felt more alive. I don't know what I'd do if I actually won.

Screenshot it and then never touch Invictus Mode, because that's where all the serious players are. That's what I did.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Waffle! posted:

Screenshot it and then never touch Invictus Mode, because that's where all the serious players are. That's what I did.

I have a better win rate in invictus than in normal mode. I dont know that its true that all the serious players are there, if I get to the top 10 i can just play endurance and the other players lose to the speed of the blocks. To win normal mode you have to actually knock out the other top player, which can be harder. Also, while the players in invictus might be better, they are also more conservative and predictable, like they're all playing to not lose. In normal mode players can be much more aggressive, so sometimes I lose early to a kind of wild shot that doesnt happen in invictus. Also there are fewer players in invictus, so games rarely fill. And average invictus game is 29 other players and 69 bots, compared to 98 humans in tetris 99.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

Thanks to this thread I got that Warnock on Firetop Mountain game on huge discount and it's really fun! Got killed by skeletons in a boat house, would recommend.

I also got it and I think it's very pretty and ok fun, but it loads very slowly and while I'm not one to usually mind such a thing, it does get to me a bit.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm playing through the Ezio collection and it would be real nice if they backported whatever control upgrades they did in later games to keep you from jumping off roofs and balconies all the time if you tilt the stick one second too long. :mad:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MassRafTer posted:

Need some Earth Defense Force on the Switch.

Earth Defense Force is on the switch via Switch Online.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Also, the other Earth Defense Force has World Brothers on Switch, as well as ports of the Vita EDF2 and EDF3 games in Japan.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

LuckyCat posted:

The only GTA I like is GTA 2 and it would be so perfect for Switch.

:hai:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I also got it and I think it's very pretty and ok fun, but it loads very slowly and while I'm not one to usually mind such a thing, it does get to me a bit.

Oh yeah I couldn't believe how long it took to load at launch! Some slow loading here and there but for the sale price it's totally worth a go

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Holy poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OGSXeko-iY
I want this. :(

LuckyCat posted:

The only GTA I like is GTA 2 and it would be so perfect for Switch.

After the massive bomba that was "GTA: Chinatown Wars", Rockstar will likely never make another 2D GTA ever again.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 23, 2022

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

punk rebel ecks posted:

After the massive bomba that was "GTA: Chinatown Wars", Rockstar will likely never make another 2D GTA ever again.

Wait what? Was it received that bad? I love it, especially the drug-trade game. Dynamic and volatile market, deliveries, occasional hostility. It's perfect. I'd honestly buy it just to occasionally hop into that.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It was competing directly with Liberty City Stories on the PSP which looked better than the PS2 game, and it was on the DS, the preferred console of children and the elderly

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Morter posted:

Wait what? Was it received that bad? I love it, especially the drug-trade game. Dynamic and volatile market, deliveries, occasional hostility. It's perfect. I'd honestly buy it just to occasionally hop into that.

It got excellent reviews and sold well, just not as well as the ludicrous expectations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Morter posted:

I bought it for DS and was terribly disappointed

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I should've setup homebrew access on my 3DS ages ago, it's nice being able to directly install my physical games to it and not have dumb stuff like region locking be a thing to worry about.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'd just assume it was racist as gently caress. Was that not a problem?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Palmtree Panic posted:

A new Chrono game would be the dream, but I've given up hope a long time ago.

HD-2D is ideal for remaking the SNES games that were never localized. Live a Live looks stunning in that style. HD-2D seems to bring more attention than a translated port of the original.

It would be great if Square-Enix remakes Terranigma & Treasures of the Rudras.

I know it's not a Square-Enix game, but how good would an HD-2D Golden Sun look? :allears:

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is there a good ring-fit leg joycon holder replacement ? Lost mine.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

fit em all up in there posted:

Is there a good ring-fit leg joycon holder replacement ? Lost mine.

Nintendo Switch Sports comes out in April and comes with one.

Put it in your pocket, or go buy on of the many knock offs on Amazon that look nearly identical. They seem to come in 2 packs for $15

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I’m pretty there are thousands. It should just be felt or whatever fabric they use and Velcro, both of which are super easy to get in China.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Morter posted:

I'm referring to commercially. The game bombed during the original DS release. Selling less than 90,000 copies in two weeks: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/chinatown-wars-sells-under-90000-units-in-march/1100-6208111/

This led to the game being sold for near or at half price one month after release: https://web.archive.org/web/20090806092703/http://www.gamespot.com/news/6208747.html

This led industry analysts (especially Michael Patcher) to claim "I guess mature games don't sell on Nintendo casual systems. :smuggo:"

The game was released on the PSP a couple months later and was somehow an even bigger bomb. Failing to chart anywhere.

The consensus, rightly or wrongly, became "2D GTA's don't sell".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Spacebump posted:

Hopefully but I would also be 100% down for a Chrono Trigger remake done in the style of the Trials of Mana remake.

The art style would work well but I'm sure a lot of people would not want a switch from turn based combat.
I'd personally prefer a ToM-style full remake for CT over an Octopath-style remake/remaster. Hell, I'd prefer they did a Pixel Remaster style thing or just a straight release of the Steam or SNES versions of the game instead of the "HD-2D" or whatever the gently caress they're calling that style because I'm honestly not big on the overly filtered Octopath visuals.

I'd still buy it if they released it that way, but I'd prefer one of the other two.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm referring to commercially. The game bombed during the original DS release. Selling less than 90,000 copies in two weeks: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/chinatown-wars-sells-under-90000-units-in-march/1100-6208111/

This led to the game being sold for near or at half price one month after release: https://web.archive.org/web/20090806092703/http://www.gamespot.com/news/6208747.html

This led industry analysts (especially Michael Patcher) to claim "I guess mature games don't sell on Nintendo casual systems. :smuggo:"

The game was released on the PSP a couple months later and was somehow an even bigger bomb. Failing to chart anywhere.

The consensus, rightly or wrongly, became "2D GTA's don't sell".

I feel like most people didn't care about GTA until it went 3D. But I did own Chinatown wars and felt like the best part about it was the drug stuff.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

I feel like most people didn't care about GTA until it went 3D. But I did own Chinatown wars and felt like the best part about it was the drug stuff.

GTA was a successful series before 3. It just reached insane new heights in the third entry due to entering the third dimension.

Think of it like "The Witcher" series. The first two sold respectfully, but the third entry had the series become a titan of gaming.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Chinatown Wars was fun. It had everything it needed to have and it did the violence, the driving, and the silly story all rather well.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I can't believe Square committed to the title "Triangle Strategy" so hard that they made it an actual lyric in the opening theme

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd just assume it was racist as gently caress. Was that not a problem?

it wasn't, unless you think a game is racist because the protag is a chinese dude. it was also the last GTA game that played like a GTA game lol. they need to remake it for switch it would be so good.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Argue posted:

I can't believe Square committed to the title "Triangle Strategy" so hard that they made it an actual lyric in the opening theme

Ugh really? I haven't tried the demo yet but it's such a dumb name. Octopath Traveller at least made some sense, this is just bland and dumb.

---

Started Disco Elysium last night and Wooh boy, I am going to like this game. Please tell me that the beginning (I literally only just got Kim to follow me around) is not a high point and that it only gets better from here because I am up for it!

I don't usually care for Voic-overs especially when I can read the dialogue faster, but much like Hades it's so good here I'm listening to every word. I already want to restart the beginning to try different options (I won't, but I know I'll do it one day).

---

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain continues to be good and it is on sale to the 28th. It's fun but I guess you're encouraged to just constantly fight if you actually want to do anything, which is OK. The combat isn't anything clever but I think I would've enjoyed a bit more variety in options of activities. Still it's a charming little thing for 3 bucks. Unbelievable loading times though.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Ugh really? I haven't tried the demo yet but it's such a dumb name. Octopath Traveller at least made some sense, this is just bland and dumb.

---

Started Disco Elysium last night and Wooh boy, I am going to like this game. Please tell me that the beginning (I literally only just got Kim to follow me around) is not a high point and that it only gets better from here because I am up for it!

I don't usually care for Voic-overs especially when I can read the dialogue faster, but much like Hades it's so good here I'm listening to every word. I already want to restart the beginning to try different options (I won't, but I know I'll do it one day).

---

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain continues to be good and it is on sale to the 28th. It's fun but I guess you're encouraged to just constantly fight if you actually want to do anything, which is OK. The combat isn't anything clever but I think I would've enjoyed a bit more variety in options of activities. Still it's a charming little thing for 3 bucks. Unbelievable loading times though.

It does indeed continue being good as gently caress and I would highly recommend multiple playthroughs because different skills open up way different ways of learning about the world.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Disappointed to hear Chinatown Wars did badly. It was one of my absolute favourite games on the DS.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I love that the Octopath team at Square just takes the first name out of anyone's mouth after the pitch is made and runs with it, no matter how dumb it sounds.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Chinatown Wars IS on mobile (at least on the Google play store) and while I'm no fan of touch controls, it actually doesn't play that badly :shrug:

I don't think there's controller support, though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The problem is they say these names are temporary, then put out early demos, then decide not to change it due to demo association awareness. Should've picked better names before the reveal/demo.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Takoluka posted:

Also, the other Earth Defense Force has World Brothers on Switch

This game kicks rear end and is a refreshing take on EDF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I'm excited for the Front Mission remake. It absolutely came out of left field during that direct.

Can't wait to see my boy Roid and his puffy hair

Im curious how they are planning to remake FM2 because that is a technical mess and the jankiest game in the series.

By comparison FM1 is still excellent.