Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'm positive I had this as a child.

Song of the South book and tape

It was originally released in 1977 apparently, but I was born a few years later. It would have been maybe 1984-1987ish that somebody bought this for me. I'm disturbed to remember I had this.

I had the record version of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Groke posted:

A tiger? In Africa?

The second I find out there's a shape shifting spider castrating member of my species in a region is the second I leave that region. So logically there was at least one tiger in Africa and then they all fled in absolute terror which makes sense.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Waste of Breath posted:

Hell yeah, he's a top tier trickster. It's a shame the only mainstream invocation of him has been in American Gods, compared to the exposure Loki and Maui got.

There was a recurring character in Static Shock who used the power of Anansi. I liked him a lot

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Tiger obviously moved out of Africa because he got tired of having his balls stolen all the time.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Anansi ate my balls

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
A lot of these dorks need to watch The Meaning of Life.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a monty python reference.

It could be... or it could be a reference to The Phantom. Which, during the earliest years, was clearly set in India; but then retconned to being set somewhere in Africa. However the presence of tigers in the wild was well-established canon; the explanation was that a bunch of them had previously escaped from a zoo, and managed to establish themselves in the local ecosystem.

(That whole comic kiiiinda qualifies for this thread, or at least many decades of it.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Groke posted:

It could be... or it could be a reference to The Phantom. Which, during the earliest years, was clearly set in India; but then retconned to being set somewhere in Africa. However the presence of tigers in the wild was well-established canon; the explanation was that a bunch of them had previously escaped from a zoo, and managed to establish themselves in the local ecosystem.

(That whole comic kiiiinda qualifies for this thread, or at least many decades of it.)

The Phantom is in many ways a weird case in how a lot of it has kinda settled into... an African superhero basically, who specifically spends a lot of story arcs working with African people, with the President of Bangalla as his own Commissioner Gordon, and fighting unscrupulous white people who want to exploit them, but he's still specifically a white dude.

I suppose more a case of 'could be way, WAY worse', but still.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Phantom is in many ways a weird case in how a lot of it has kinda settled into... an African superhero basically, who specifically spends a lot of story arcs working with African people, with the President of Bangalla as his own Commissioner Gordon, and fighting unscrupulous white people who want to exploit them, but he's still specifically a white dude.

I suppose more a case of 'could be way, WAY worse', but still.

The phantom is an ally to all

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Yah, even back many decades ago the Phantom was definitely not a racist [1] and had a bunch of friends and allies among the black Africans, and treated those with a decent amount of respect FOR THE TIME, but... yeah... the stories from those days may not seem very progressive by modern standards.

[1] However, let's just not think too much about how the entire family line for 400 years went out of their way to only find other white people to marry, generation after generation.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Khizan posted:

Tiger obviously moved out of Africa because he got tired of having his balls stolen all the time.

One time he even tricked Tiger into going to a blacksmith and getting his balls smashed with a hammer

Which honestly took far too little convincing

But either way, yeah moving is probably the best course of action

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Pfft. "The Phantom" is just a pale imitation of the real white hero of the jungle:

Fantomah!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Fletcher Hanks' stuff didn't age poorly because it was pure WTF to begin with.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I bought the book of his complete works. I'm genuinely scared to open it in case it's like a Pandora's Box of insanity.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Amusing Phantom fact:

In Norway, and nowhere else, the Phantom's wife is named "Sala Palmer" instead of "Diana Palmer".

This is because, back when Norway was occupied by Nazi Germany during WW2, the occupiers banned newspapers from importing and printing new stuff (such as comic strips) from Britain or the USA. But they WERE allowed to reprint old stuff.

So, one of the major papers somehow managed to get new strips anyway. And printed them, but with some superficial edits to make it look like part of an older storyline. This included changing some character names; so this new girl Diana got a recycled name from an earlier supporting character. And then that stuck after the war ended, and for 77 years and counting since then.

I loving swear I am not making this up.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Randalor posted:

I bought the book of his complete works. I'm genuinely scared to open it in case it's like a Pandora's Box of insanity.

in that book the editor who created the book tells a story. they first discovered hanks as an obscure early comics guy about which little was known. through some detective work they thought they discovered the man himself, improbably still alive but elderly. the editor goes to hanks house to discover it is actually the comic author's son, the author himself died years ago. the son asserts that his father, who definitely did make those comics, was also a violent wife-and-child beating good for nothing alcoholic who tended to hold grudges and had a history of violent acts against others. the elder hanks eventually abandoned his family who was glad to see him go. the son never saw his father again but learned that he froze to death on a park bench on manhattan as an elderly wino. so in a way it is indeed a pandora's box of insanity, and it does explain a lot about how these comics came to be

hanks could get away with his style of work because at this time, in the dawn of comics, being able to produce shitloads of content was the most important thing. audiences were hungry for content and so it was cranked out as fast as possible on an assembly line basis - this is where we get the aesthetic of simplified shapes, flat colors, simple drawings, and basic narratives. they were being produced cheap and fast, and the more stories you could pound out the more money you could make. fletcher hanks was a one-man machine, he was older than your typical comics book guy (middle aged when a lot of artist/authors were in their 20s) and he would write, draw, ink, color, letter the whole thing himself. he'd then sell the story over to a publisher who just slapped it directly into print, so there was no editorial control at any step of the process from either peers or publisher - just the pure narrative power of a violent alcoholic focused on retribution

and yeah, if anything his works have aged well - they were bizarre to begin with but he found an audience after his death in the alt-comix scene, where people could really appreciate the nuances of an impossible to kill superman who exists simply to wreak horrible vengeance on criminals. like that one superman comic where supes gets hit by a drunk driver and then convinces the driver he is a ghost and he will haunt the drunk man forever, that barely scratches the surface of the wild rear end revenge stardust inflicts on various brutish enemies of democracy and decency. superman would take them to a reformatory or something, stardust is more likely to use his transformation ray to turn them into ants and then scatter them in the anteater pen at the zoo or some hosed up poo poo

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Feb 23, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also it is all about the retribution for Hanks. I don't have the collections but from what I've seen online his protagonists could intervene at any time in the schemes of the bad guys, but they elect to sit back and watch until said bad guys rack up a body count worthy of the unbelievably inventive and cruel ministrations of Stardust or Fantomah or whoever

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phy posted:

Also it is all about the retribution for Hanks. I don't have the collections but from what I've seen online his protagonists could intervene at any time in the schemes of the bad guys, but they elect to sit back and watch until said bad guys rack up a body count worthy of the unbelievably inventive and cruel ministrations of Stardust or Fantomah or whoever

Yes, notably his heroes like Stardust or Fantomah didn't ever stop bad things from happening but they would show up to keep it from getting worse and then do something horrible to the villain.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
aged well:

One like Putin, full of strength
One like Putin, who won't be a drunk
One like Putin, who wouldn't hurt me
One like Putin, who won't run away!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Stardust and Fantomah are both public domain now, iirc. The Non-Adventures of Wonderella has fun with that.

I think there was one Alan Moore comic or something that had Stardust or an obvious equivalent frozen in a block of ice

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think there was one Alan Moore comic or something that had Stardust or an obvious equivalent frozen in a block of ice
yeah he was somewhere in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen continuity, I think the person who froze him also mentioned he stunk of alcohol or something

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Randalor posted:

Oh, it is glorious! Just prepare yourself to read the word "fiend" - a lot.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
I bought the first collected volume of Hanks when it came out (the second and the full set wasn't out yet). It starts with you laughing and face-palming at the total absurdity of it all, but the longer you go the more you start seeing how this clearly is not the product of a healthy mind. By the time you reach the last few there's a heavy knot in your stomach knowing there's another whole volume of this that we know of.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know where else to ask this: is there still an SA greatest sagas thread, or was that thread concept retired? I remember some bad fights happening in one, so maybe the whole idea aged poorly and is verboten, but I liked having a place to ask about old half-remembered lore.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I think it got closed because people were using it to drag up dumb QCS drama or just generally whine about posters they didn't like.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
We had a version of the thread that lasted multiple years before it was rebooted but then we went through like three of them in a year because drama kept happening so I think it’s been put on ice

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
the latest one was filled with vile transphobia pretty much immediately because i guess that's just what the site is about now

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

People kept going into the thread and saying things like “looks like a current saga is starting up over in BSS” and it was just some loving guy talking about aqua man and then a QCS thread would get posted about the guys aqua man opinions and why he has not been probated for them.

They kept trying to ban current forums events and it never worked, people just kept using it as a way to try to work the refs for their posting enemies.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah think about the kind of posters that post in a thread just for drama. Do you really want to be around them?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It didn’t used to be like that at all. I’m sorry to hear if it, but I understand that it would be impossible to have a set of rules that would keep the thread like what it used to be.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I AM GRANDO posted:

It didn’t used to be like that at all. I’m sorry to hear if it, but I understand that it would be impossible to have a set of rules that would keep the thread like what it used to be.

Yeah, there was just too much grudge posting. The last iteration of that thread got really gross.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I wonder if you could make it work by instituting a “if this is current drama (within the past 90 days or something) it’s an instant week probation” rule

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Rule 1: Must be 1 year ago at least

Rule 2: Some white-noise nobody whining about a ban/probe is not a "saga"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
the problem in the last thread wasn't current events, even, really, it was a couple of people saying really fuckin transphobic poo poo super quick and it looking like they got away with it. (the mods did probate for it in the end, but not before a fight started about it).

this illustrates the larger point, which is that the "complaining about current probations" is really a reflection of the existing fractures in the community and how people are frustrated to at each others throats about a lot of moderation and style decisions. because of this, the thread just ended up being a repeated flashpoint for poo poo like d&d vs cspam, slurs vs no-slurs, etc.

ideally, jeffrey would finally post the forum rules update dealing with all this poo poo, but we're currently still stuck in the mode where it's okay to use slurs sometimes in some places and not in others, probations get endlessly relitigated, etc.

and i'm not trying to start an argument about any of this, just illustrating what it is and why we're unlikely to be able to have the thread with the forums in the current state they're in.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I'm surprised to hear that. I mostly post in Games lately, where transphobia and sympathetic takes on prejudiced shitheads employed in the video game industry are given no quarter. I've been quite impressed by it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Mescal posted:

I'm surprised to hear that. I mostly post in Games lately, where transphobia and sympathetic takes on prejudiced shitheads employed in the video game industry are given no quarter. I've been quite impressed by it.

Despite S.A.'s generally good attitude re. trans-rights and the like, there are still crypto-fascist scum hanging around.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Games generally has good mods. A certain other forum has the most recent sagas thread.

It’s the Toxic Waste Dump, because PYF mods are demonstrably not very good at their job and apparently all asleep all the time.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm a asleep a lot during the day, do you think I could hack it as a PYF mod?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

No mods no masters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

People kept going into the thread and saying things like “looks like a current saga is starting up over in BSS” and it was just some loving guy talking about aqua man and then a QCS thread would get posted about the guys aqua man opinions and why he has not been probated for them.

I've heard from multiple sources he fucks fish.