Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

aphid_licker posted:

Guardian had an article that Russian troops on the other Ukrainian borders are gonna have to move in or pull back to better facilities soon bc they're just kinda camped out in fields rn

Is there a good daily overview of the artillery situation on the line of contact?

They will soon be living off the land, pillaging memes from Ukranian soil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Also, noble FSB troopers were able to stop a terror plot organized by Ukrainian Right Sector Nazi Jehovah's Witnesses with pagan rune tattos.
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1496440521153298441

Ah yes, Right Sector terrorist carrying around "I <3 Ukraine" stickers with Ukraine map WITHOUT CRIMEA on it
and "Yarosh Business card" is still in use https://www.smh.com.au/world/ukrain...im%20seriously.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

GABA ghoul posted:

https://twitter.com/antontroian/status/1496426736925483012?t=oKzrN6abuN1fp-ZLs-b0Jg&s=19

What is even Ukraine? There is no way to know for sure. Could be anything. Small, big, something in-between. We just don't know :shrug:

It's the creamy center

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

fatherboxx posted:

with Ukraine map WITHOUT CRIMEA on it
that's map with only Crimea on it

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Also, noble FSB troopers were able to stop a terror plot organized by Ukrainian Right Sector Nazi Jehovah's Witnesses with pagan rune tattos.

thank god they blurred out the Bandera flag, absolutely unable to recognize it now

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Confiscating his remote exemplifies the cruelty of the Russian oppression apparatus

Have some human decency for fucks sake

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Nenonen posted:

This is a signal for Poland to demand the territories gifted by Stalin back :poland:

No thanks, how about we gift Podkarpackie to Ukraine instead

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
https://nyheder.tv2.dk/2022-02-23-korrespondent-blev-afbrudt-af-brag-paa-direkte-tv-nu-skal-vi-vaek

Danish reporter in Schastia. Seems like a pretty poo poo place to be. check out his awesome homemade "press" markings on the helmet

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

fart simpson posted:

come crosspost this in the cspam eurasia thread, mate
No thanks, the people who post there come across as a bit weird:

fart simpson posted:

speaking of chain probes, when brown moses posted about ukraine the other day in d&d i pmed him trying to lure him here so i could chain probe him for 2 weeks but he didnt bite

In the UK politicians seem pretty keen on banning RT, but based on what we've seen when Germany shut down RT Germany (because of broadcast license issues) it would almost certainly end up with the BBC being kicked out of Russia:

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1496455823953911814

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1496469989544673281

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

South Ukraine WILL rise again :911:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

szary posted:

No thanks, how about we gift Podkarpackie to Ukraine instead

This seems like a cruel and unusual punishment for being invaded, I'm sure it's covered by the Geneva Convention.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

CommieGIR posted:

Interesting take on the flag of Novorossiya

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Panzeh posted:

Interesting take on the flag of Novorossiya

As Panzeh notes, it’s really :thunk: given where in Ukraine the Confederate flag is most commonly seen.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1496476421434351622

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As Panzeh notes, it’s really :thunk: given where in Ukraine the Confederate flag is most commonly seen.

Eh, its most likely a local nazi that cops packed to fill out the "saboteurs caught" quota, they are dorks, so stanning for Confederates is not surprising. Need a Rhodesia flag for a proper loser bingo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Forrest_Rogers/status/1496254107660738568?s=20&t=_MZPwxom-sFNnuCuPAmPCg

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Lol.

That's not even a real gun.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fart simpson posted:

come crosspost this in the cspam eurasia thread, mate

If he wants to post there, he will.
Stop bringing up CSPAM threads in D&D

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

We've been over this, that would be a concerning and uncalled for breach of decorum

Instead of continuing to snipe at my posts by misrepresenting them in response to unrelated posts, you're welcome to resume our discussion in which you rejected idealism.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

Instead of continuing to snipe at my posts by misrepresenting them in response to unrelated posts, you're welcome to resume our discussion in which you rejected idealism.

It was also to make fun of your supposed realist posting, and the tendency (shared by others) to discount normative concerns of morality and justice as irrational / inappropriate in the IR arena, when you yourself ended up acting offended over a loving meme for being too mean, op.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 23, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

It was also to make fun of your supposed realist posting, op.

I don't think it makes me less of a realist to think my country's embassies shouldn't shitpost by posting borderline racist memes, but if it does, I guess I can probably live with that.

steinrokkan posted:

It was also to make fun of your supposed realist posting, and the tendency (shared by others) to discount normative concerns of morality and justice as irrational / inappropriate in the IR arena, when you yourself ended up acting offended over a loving meme for being too mean, op.

To respond to your edit. I've said Russian aggression is bad, so I have a personal moral judgment (just as I have a personal moral judgment about the stupid embassy meme without thinking it has much material impact on real world conditions) but yeah I don't think being bad is the only relevant consideration. Lots of bad things happen, and how we respond to them or how we try to prevent them is still something that has to be answered. Deciding that 'evil' cant' be negotiated with or appeased so there's no point in trying to engage in real diplomacy just seems like a convenient perspective to never have to make concessions to me, and to avoid feeling any responsibility for contributing to a crisis.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 23, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

Eh, its most likely a local nazi that cops packed to fill out the "saboteurs caught" quota, they are dorks, so stanning for Confederates is not surprising. Need a Rhodesia flag for a proper loser bingo.

Also an option. As it normally happens in these cases, there an HD video shot by a professional camera crew:

https://twitter.com/liveuamap/status/1496473633245569028

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, there's a Soviet plan called "Seven Days To The River Rhine" where it's predicated on the idea that Poland attacks Germany, gets nuked, which causes the Soviets to launch a counterattack on NATO bases in Europe, along with civilian population centers. Czechs and Hungarian mechanized infantry jumps into loving nuclear craters and radioactive rubble to take the cities, while Russians in their NBC-sealed armor races to get to the French banks of the Rhine.

Yes, largely correct. It was called “Seven Days to the River Rhine” because Soviet wargaming suggested that if the Rhine wasn’t reached, and hopefully bridgeheads across secured in 7 days, the Warsaw Pact forces would never be able to overcome NATO forces.

Mostly because they figured it would take about a week for France and FRG to fully mobilize and fully be in the fight, and for American and British rapid reaction forces that could not be fully interdicted by the Soviets to arrive on the front lines.

Ah, the bipolar superpower Cold War. These are more and more seeming like the good old days.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/filiphorky/status/1496473582037307399

As I expected, we’re already starting to see an embryo of a fast track EU lane for Ukraine.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 23, 2022

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As I expected, we’re already starting to see an embryo of a fast track EU lane for Poland.

Yeah, they just need to fix their Supreme Court or what it’s called.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

As I expected, we’re already starting to see an embryo of a fast track EU lane for Poland.

Whats that mean? Poland is already in the EU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

steinrokkan posted:

Alliances aren't meant to be unconditionally inclusive. To say otherwise, that they should include anybody who asks, is an obvious poison pill. Would Russia, the NATO member, let the US, Germany, Poland station troops in its territory? Would Russia abandon it's own alliances and bilateral arrangements with former Soviet republics or its Asian neighbours and completely conform to policy directions already put in place by Western members by the time of is accession? Would Russia not act independently wrt Syria, Libya etc and not have it's own horses in these races? Would Russia give up on independent unscrutinized arms trade? I think the answer is an obvious no to all these questions.

NATO has accepted members who actually worked to become members, made the necessary adjustments, and formed a block that was both politically and geographically congruous with the old members. The new members also weren't major powers with independent international ambitions, who requested protection on terms the NATO offered. Their membership didn't threaten Russia anymore than the NATO before their accession, and in fact the NATO consistently demilitarised its Russian frontier in the years after the Eastern expansion, became far less threatening to Russia than at any point in the past while also steadily expanding cooperation.

If anything the current crisis is due to the NATO being extremely conciliatory and forgiving towards Putin in the past due to fundamental unwillingness to commit to military spending in Europe. If NATO had put Russia in the stranglehold it claims, it wouldn't be able to get away with retiring the whole of Eastern Europe with impunity.

No one said they had to be unconditionally inclusive. You just have to live with the consequences of leaving a state that has historically been a great power and has the capacity to rise up as a great power again be a future adversary. As I said in my post, we are now back to that Cold War mentality and other people, as usual, are paying the price. It wasn't like the Russians expected to be waited on, both Putin and Yeltsin came hat in hand in the 90s and early 2000s. What they needed was just a crumb to take home along with membership so that they didn't look like total chumps. But our leadership at the time thought Russia was down and out and that capitalism would make everything go away. Well we got that one terribly wrong.

A NATO with Russia as a pillar or a brand new security arrangement with both NATO and WP dismantled would have looked drastically different than the world we live in today. I do understand that every Russian action since Kosovo and the NATO expansion up to the Baltics has been driven by Russia realization that they will always be viewed as the enemy. Hence their extreme reaction wrt to Donbas and South Ossetia. I have no way of knowing what that alternative world would have looked like but I am presenting the view as Russia sees it rightly or wrongly.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

typo i assume. per the autotranslate it's Poland/Lithuanian leaders supporting candidate status for Ukraine

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

Yeah, they just need to fix their Supreme Court or what it’s called.

Constitutional Tribunal, which is one of many things they should fix. That said, they still have a fair amount of influence, and concessions to trade, when it comes to moving this or anything else in parallel.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

That means I’m not particularly good at posting. The tweet is joint Polish-Lithuanian declaration in support of granting Ukraine the status of an EU Candidate State.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I don't entirely disagree about NATO--it could possibly have been better managed, but it's also hard to see how Russia has an innate right to dominate and control its neighbors in the interests of its own security, much less countries in the Balkans, which don't border Russia at all.

They don't have an innate right in the moral sense but as we all know in the world of international politics, might makes right. Just like how the Munroe doctrine is still in effect because the US is the biggest dog on this side of the hemisphere.

Xerxes17 posted:

Man, you'd have a fuckin point if NATO was interested in doing tanks-based diplomacy and Russia didn't have nukes, but alas. Ukraine is paying the price because Russia is acting like an abusive ex-husband. I'll Also notice that neither in 2014 or now was Ukraine anywhere close to getting NATO membership, waht was being talked about was EU stuff, which should tell you a lot.

A defense policy based on nukes and nothing but nukes is no defense policy at all. Otherwise, the US wouldn't have stationed 100k men in Europe with enough equipment for another 100k to be flown in by air with REFORGER and simply responded to every possible permutation of Russian action with ICBMs. The US also wouldn't bother with the billions upon billions to upkeep its fleet of super carriers if nukes are all you need as defense. It also doesn't address their concerns of ABM systems installed near their borders which erodes their confidence in the nuclear option nor does it prevent NATO or any future organization that might be explicitly hostile to Russia plant nuclear missiles with flight times in the 15 minute Moscow on that territory since it no longer has sway on those lands. It's not as if the US has been shy about unilateral withdrawal from arms control treaties themselves.

Finally, consider that Putin isn't concerned with just the next 10 or 20 years but is thinking about 50 to 100 years. Once the near abroad is lost, it may be exceptionally difficult to re secure as it realizes right now.

Once again, this is not to justify Putins actions or suggest that we roll over. In fact I think we should employ the hammer and hit as hard as possible since this is the bed we made for ourselves sonto speak. But I think it is important understand their perspective of the world no matter how warped it may seem to us.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/guyelster/status/1496498356121649156

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MikeC posted:

You just have to live with the consequences of leaving a state that has historically been a great power and has the capacity to rise up as a great power again be a future adversary.

Are you saying that vast swathes of Eastern Europe should've stayed occupied by Russia after the USSR fell?

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's also American exceptionalism to assume everyone pointing towards Western culpability in engendering the conditions that allowed Bad Guys to get into power to be self-flagellating Americans.

I think I was pretty clear in stating that this was a problem for some people. I was also very clear that the West had its role in this crisis too.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Full-scale meaning beyond the scope of the two oblasts currently targeted?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

Full-scale meaning beyond the scope of the two oblasts currently targeted?

According to the linked article:

quote:

The official told Newsweek that the invasion will include not only a push from the pro-Moscow rebel-held Donbas region in the east, where additional Russian units were sent Monday as peacekeepers, but also a major thrust toward the capital Kyiv from the northern border with Belarus, where Russian troops recently extended joint exercises with their ally.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

According to the linked article:
Putin's gonna take more than he can chew

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Well gently caress, I really wanted to believe that they're not so unhinged. Below is a description of fighting that took place in Mariupol and what is going to happen everywhere

https://mobile.twitter.com/nolanwpeterson/status/1496103220682371074

This again takes the security concerns at face value. Independence of the states around is the problem to the dying empire, like Putin very explicitly said in his long speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Considering the uprising in Kazakhstan, how likely is it that Putin gets ousted if this personally motivated military adventure turns into a disaster for the Russian army and economy?