Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

looks like steam keys are available at official resellers now, I just got mine and am pre-loading. I'll take the $10 discount, thx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

The Gadfly posted:

I'm on the fence about buying this game, and I've never played any Souls games.

Is this a good game for those who prefer ranged combat?

Like, in Skyrim, I always go for bow or magic builds and manually aim projectiles. I didn't really like Witcher 3 combat because it was basically all melee, and the only ranged combat was lock-on, which I found boring.

In the Dark Souls series bows were best for first person sniping difficult enemies who couldn't respond to the attack distance. The gameplay footage shown so far has been about the improvements to lock on combat, like being able to fire the bow while jumping and moving. There might be more fluid first person aiming now, but they haven't shown any of it AFAIK, and I haven't seen people use ranged weapons at all in streams. The movement mechanics don't really support evasion, jumping or dodging while aiming in first person - the game just isn't designed around that perspective.

e:

Char creation

Yessss crazy faces are back.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 23, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If memory serves, some PvP combat in previous Souls games played better than using lock-on.

I've never played any the Souls games locked on but I never parry. I think it works better with the larger weapons that have big wind-ups but I could be mistaken.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I've never played any the Souls games locked on but I never parry. I think it works better with the larger weapons that have big wind-ups but I could be mistaken.

Yeah with the windups you could face in one direction, predict where the enemy was going to dodge, and re-direct your swing as the strike landed.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Someone posted their review early
https://primagames.com/reviews/elden-ring-review

Pros:

-Incredible world design
-Some of the best boss fights in the series
-A true sense of adventure
-Roundtable Hold is a beautiful hub area

Cons:

-Catacombs feel samey after only doing a few
-Reused bosses in areas, even in late game
-PC options are lacking and had several hard crashes to desktop during boss fights

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mailer posted:

Has souls reached the Zelda point? Where if you score <10 you're going to get death threats and reddit spamming change.org?

I'm pretty sure any major game franchise is at that point. It's half the reason any AAA that isn't functionally unplayable never gets below an 8/10 (The other half being that game reviews are just marketing with extra steps).

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Oooooooooooooh, you have Elden Ring you say?!

Indeed, I have Elden Ring.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hmm, just read that endurance, not strength, governs equipment load in elden ring? so what's strength good for other than equipping STR weapons and the damage scaling on STR weapons?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Spermando posted:

Someone posted their review early
https://primagames.com/reviews/elden-ring-review

Pros:

-Incredible world design
-Some of the best boss fights in the series
-A true sense of adventure
-Roundtable Hold is a beautiful hub area

Cons:

-Catacombs feel samey after only doing a few
-Reused bosses in areas, even in late game
-PC options are lacking and had several hard crashes to desktop during boss fights

Old bosses showing up in late game as minibosses is a From trademark

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

GhostDog posted:

Oooooooooooooh, you have Elden Ring you say?!

Indeed, I have Elden Ring.

Hahaha.

They look like that Virgin vs Chad meme.

The virgin Unkindled and the chad Tarnished.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Is there a gender slider in character creation in this game or does the game SUCK poo poo???

Elden Ring is an anagram of Nil Gender, so absolutely no gender options, I'm afraid.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Excited for Elden Ring? You bet I am! - some guy who killed me in Bloodborne

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

pmchem posted:

hmm, just read that endurance, not strength, governs equipment load in elden ring? so what's strength good for other than equipping STR weapons and the damage scaling on STR weapons?

Nothing. STR is a damage stat. END controlled equip load in DeS and DS1 and that worked fine tbh, I’ve never understood why they split it off into its own stat in DS2/3 except to gently caress with people.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
How's that for a review

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

The Joe Man posted:

okay it's time to address the elephant in the room....

greeeeat icon quality, folks :dumbbravo:

lol just lol. Ps5 doesn't have a lovely arrow on it OR a low res image. Perhaps you are the hosed up little man?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

This guy posted his review a bit early. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqnkeflf63I

Don't watch if you don't want any spoilers but he said he has platinumed all the Souls games and he said this is the best one yet, he thinks full playthrough might be 100 hours, he said its not easy either like some people were saying(could be his build?).

Also his footage was on ps5, looks like its running at 60fps, I can't tell what the resolution is due to youtube though.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Anyone get their key from fanatical yet?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

bows1 posted:

lol just lol. Ps5 doesn't have a lovely arrow on it OR a low res image. Perhaps you are the hosed up little man?

I mean it's hosed up to be using desktop icons on a PC in this day and age.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ulio posted:

This guy posted his review a bit early. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqnkeflf63I

Don't watch if you don't want any spoilers but he said he has platinumed all the Souls games and he said this is the best one yet, he thinks full playthrough might be 100 hours, he said its not easy either like some people were saying(could be his build?).

Also his footage was on ps5, looks like its running at 60fps, I can't tell what the resolution is due to youtube though.

Who is this guy? :lol:

Glad he liked it though.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Vintersorg posted:

Glad he liked it though.

If he likes Ja'Marr Chase I'm on his side.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Vintersorg posted:

Glad he liked it though.

He's Mattie L, duh

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Feel like the guy with 100 views wasn't under embargo to begin with.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

When is digital foundry doing their thing? Friday, right?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Genuinely angry it's not Friday yet I mean come the gently caress on already

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Aphex- posted:

Genuinely angry it's not Friday yet I mean come the gently caress on already

In less than 33 hours I will be playing Elden Ring.

My brother didn't know it releases early on PC and poor guy's stuck with a PS4...

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
there aren't covenants but there are factions you can join but it seems to be more story/quest-focused instead of multiplayer-focused like covenants were

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
getting the sinking feeling that this is more of a 9.4 than a perfect 10. i’m devastated. i’m going to throw up

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

pmchem posted:

looks like steam keys are available at official resellers now, I just got mine and am pre-loading. I'll take the $10 discount, thx.

Bahhhh, got me excited. Nothing at CDKeys yet.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Gadfly posted:

I'm on the fence about buying this game, and I've never played any Souls games.

Is this a good game for those who prefer ranged combat?

Like, in Skyrim, I always go for bow or magic builds and manually aim projectiles. I didn't really like Witcher 3 combat because it was basically all melee, and the only ranged combat was lock-on, which I found boring.

with bows and crossbows you can manually aim with or without zoom in but it's impractical if something's right in your face. manually aiming without zoom is usually only reliable for aoe attacks like firing explosive bolts at someone's feet or lobbing firebombs, unless you're absurdly practiced and skilled.

you've always been able to snipe pretty effectively in the right situations (clear line of sight to a far away target) but good projectiles could be pretty expensive. this might change in elden ring where you can craft ammo on the fly and there seems to be more condition options like tranq arrows.

people have done entire playthroughs with only ranged combat in all the souls games so it's 100% possible, but it's considered to be a challenge for reasons that will become obvious if you try it.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 23, 2022

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

DourCricket posted:

Bahhhh, got me excited. Nothing at CDKeys yet.
CDKeys is grey market, I personally wouldn't use them since basically none of the money you hand over is going to devs.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Thanks for all the responses. This looks like an incredible game, so even though it doesn't really suit my ideal combat style, I think I will get it eventually when it goes on sale.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Ulio posted:

Destroy his rear end with lawyers :twisted:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Bows are absolutely indispensable in your Souls playthroughs. I intend to carry one as a secondary again in this. AI just doesn't happen at a certain range, so you can deal with certain annoyances quite easily by just having a bow with a little bit of investment in it. I imagine AI might be more effective in this game given the larger scale

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

If you're looking for a deal, GMG has it for 20% off. Just got my key this morning, so still plenty of time left to preload

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/elden-ring-pc/

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
One of the most difficult bosses in DS1--and the final boss of the DLC--could be hilariously cheesed by just murdering him with a bow from outside his arena. Which is almost as funny as beating a boss by flinging poo poo over his door.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Ironpineapple put up his review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdstSHeoNGA

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1496500606235725831

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
EG gave it Essential

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-02-23-elden-ring-review

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

IGN review says took him 87 hours to beat lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

OpenCritic is getting absolutely hammered right now. I keep getting 504 errors. Too many people :f5:ing in the hopes of reading the Elden Ring reviews (me included).