Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

god loving dammit retail sucks lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rainbow Knight posted:

god loving dammit retail sucks lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Alky, the guy that complained about amazon posts doesn't speak for all of us, I miss waking up to your "TONIGHT in Amazon Insanity..." posts :(

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Eric the Mauve posted:

Alky, the guy that complained about amazon posts doesn't speak for all of us, I miss waking up to your "TONIGHT in Amazon Insanity..." posts :(

imo the thread should be a welcome place to post for anyone who deals with awful grind of capitalism. shipping, logistics, customer service, whatever. we're all just aching for a chance to throttle someone a big family

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Eric the Mauve posted:

Very much agreed. It's nice having a glimpse into the belly of the beast.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Ha ha, oh poo poo, reminds me of a retail thing that happened recently.

So, once a year we have a "welfare analysis," company sends out a questionnaire for everyone to answer anonymously.

Once a year, in the wake of this, we also have a departmental meeting, which is often rooted in looking over the analysis. If something's spectacularly low, we're asked if we have any input on why and what could be done to improve it.

Previous to the latest one, we also got a new warehouse manager who is... I could fill the entire thread with how much of a dogshit fuckwit idiot psychopath moron he is. Our department, overall, rated him insanely badly. About 25 percentage points lower than any other department in the warehouse, which was also something like 35 percentage points under the franchise-wide average for warehouse managers.

So he invited himself to our department meeting, stared us all down and insisted we tell him what was wrong. Frankly refused to leave until one of my coworkers fobbed him off with an extremely softball thing.

I've never experienced anything that insanely insecure and defensive from a manager. Like, goddamn, dude, if we feel we can tell you about it, don't you think we would? Don't you think that our insanely low confidence in you is a sign that we don't feel like we can actually go tell you how much of a loving moron you are? That we don't want to tell you that it's pointless and annoying when you clog up the headset bandwidth by reading out sales numbers three times a day? That we know you're going to be a loving baby bitchass prick if we bring up any of the insane ways you've treated people? The fact that you ship in completely unqualified friends to take over leadership positions without interviewing any alternate candidates? Your complete and utter lack of empathy? The fact that you refuse to act on department managers using racist slurs? The whole bit where you're getting inexperienced kids, sometimes still in their late teens, to take on salaried positions because they don't know any better and then obliterating them with work until they look like walking corpses, then fire them the first time they slip up?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Ha ha, oh poo poo, reminds me of a retail thing that happened recently.

That sounded like a moment where you wish everyone would join in on blasting that manager like an "I am Sparticus" moment. Or in the movie Empire Records where everyone tells off Rex Manning.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Very much agreed. It's nice having a glimpse into the belly of the beast.

Sometimes it almost seems weird, the fascination with this stuff and the Bad With Money stuff. I guess it comes from knowing the subject matter of each from experience but not being bound by them? If that makes any sense. I guess in here it's mostly letting off steam if you're one of the retail hell denizens.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 22, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

PurpleXVI posted:

So, once a year we have a "welfare analysis," company sends out a questionnaire for everyone to answer anonymously.

God I hate companies doing this poo poo, because they have to know no-one actually thinks anything raised is going to be acted on. My work has been sending them out every 2 weeks since we went back after covid's initial run and I don't know anyone who does anything more involved than deleting the email about them at this point.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

God I hate companies doing this poo poo, because they have to know no-one actually thinks anything raised is going to be acted on. My work has been sending them out every 2 weeks since we went back after covid's initial run and I don't know anyone who does anything more involved than deleting the email about them at this point.

My work has one, and they assure us many many many times the answers are all confidential.

The only way to access said questionnaire is to log in to a work computer with your employee number.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nah I figured that out when some others spoke up. Just work at the Corrugate Asylum hasn't been insane enough to break my threshold as of late. Well mostly. Honestly the big drama is we're VTO-ing people (Voluntary Time Off: I.e. "Who wants free unpaid time off and go home early...or not come in at all!") like mad because we're in the usual Q1 slump, we brought in a bunch of people who are actually doing halfway decent and we're actually experiencing rather low attrition. So we keep getting ahead of the work and BSG's clockwork warehouse will screech to an expensive stop if we suck up too much of Day's work.

Seriously, I'm in a role which doesn't get VTO normally and I managed to snag Wednesday night off and get a 4 night weekend on the 16th.

Well, there is the occasional moment of hilarity. Sunday night one of my friends sent me this link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08F7WNQBS With the comment "just...just take a look". She's a problem solver from ISS (i.e.: Problem Solver from Department of Problem Solve from Problem Solvelandia) so you know it was exceptionally stupid to even phase her. Doubly so for her to send a link to the actual store page and not the FC Research page.

For those of you who don't want to click the link, or if it gets fixed, here's a snapshot:

For reference, the picture is accurate to the item she problem solved, it's a child's potty training urinal. It's just the description/item listing is absolutely bonkers and hilarious with some terms that should definitely not be associated with any child's product (and descriptors that should not be put near THOSE descriptors) as they're obviously trying to game searches.

If I was deeper into actual problem solve I'd probably have a Captain Invictus like thread. Probably labelled something like "poo poo our idiot vendors send us." Like ziplock baggies full of fish hooks.

Cowslips Warren posted:

My work has one, and they assure us many many many times the answers are all confidential.

The only way to access said questionnaire is to log in to a work computer with your employee number.

Amazon has one with 1-2 questions every day. The only reason I know they actually are anonymous (at least to anyone actually in the building) is because in over four years not once have I had a manager come up to me asking why I gave them a bad score. It would have happened at least once if they weren't.

I still answer every time they ask that I'm miserable here, thinking of quitting, they don't pay enough, and I don't trust the anonymity of the surveys.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 22, 2022

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Speaking of ISS...

Yesterday I came in to discover that neither day shift ISS rep had been in since Wednesday, so the retail ticket queue was over 70. For reference, retail tickets involve pulling inventory of a specific product (sometimes all of it) and checking for issues reported by customers or the sellers of the product.

Over two-thirds of those tickets had already failed their SLA (but still have to be done). I'm lucky outbound was able to labor-share a picker to help me, because there was no way I could have made much headway otherwise. Ended shift with 30-some tickets left (tickets don't stop dropping just because we're behind after all). Next shift is probably still going to be brutal because the front-half days rep was not in the previous two shifts, so they're probably not showing up today either.

ISS staging areas were also full of unticketed junk that problem solvers dropped off because it is just too much to ask that problem solvers be trained on how to submit problem solve tickets. This isn't even the problem solvers' fault really. How to do tickets just isn't part of the 'standard course' for problem solving for dumb reasons. For items they can't do themselves, I need the ticket made so that I can work on it and actually get credit for doing things. The procurement teams can also respond on the ticket with info that we can't get within the warehouse (they can contact sellers if necessary). I think they don't let ISS reps directly contact sellers because we would not be civil enough. Kind of hard to be when they send in stuff "like ziplock baggies full of fish hooks."

I wish we had a back half nights ISS rep like I've been suggesting to my managers, so that the back half days rep taking time off doesn't kill me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
gently caress me. I took a week off at the start of the month. I had it approved by my gm, including that I wasn't going to use any of my PTO since I need to save it for my summer vacation. (Since we got bought out, pro went from dropping a whole year on your hire date to accumulating week by week)

The stupid loving app we use no longer gave me the option to request time off without pay, so I just didn't do anything. My boss knew, had written it down, we were good.

Well, "store mom" didn't know and was yelling about me abandoning my position and they needed to terminate me. Boss was like, "no this fine I knew about it."

I thought that was the end of it, but I found out last week that I needed to put something in the system for that time off. I put in a non medical leave with no pto taken. And now today there's an email from leaves about getting documentation for my FMLA leave which I 100% did not request!

Like how is poo poo this complicated, I told my boss he okayed it. gently caress.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

tbf I didn't say they should stop posting, just that the title of the thread should indicate their presence

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alkydere posted:

If I was deeper into actual problem solve I'd probably have a Captain Invictus like thread. Probably labelled something like "poo poo our idiot vendors send us." Like ziplock baggies full of fish hooks.

:justpost:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Thing is that would be Toraen's thread. They're ISS. They see poo poo that I don't. It is their job to stare into the void of idiotic loving vendors. The "I" in "ISS" Stands for "Inbound". My personal frustration is trying to teach Pick to please respect the fact that totes have a finite amount of space in them: please stop overloading them so I can spend less time clearing jams caused lose, crushed items off of the tote router. Less photogenic

Oh and I'd say at least half of the vendors on Amazon are all either stupid or actively trying to scam Amazon, if not both. I'm originally a packer, the last person who sees the item as I put it in a box. I've gotten so much absolute garbage from vendors after it slipped through the cracks of multiple rounds of problem solve that I can't really comprehend the depths of ISS getting that poo poo raw and unfiltered. Oh and it's not just the small vendors doing poo poo: it's the big ones too. Multiple peaks I've gotten the latest Black Friday bundle for Xboxes and Playstations being told to be SIOCed (shipped in their own containers). Because Microsoft and Sony were too cheap to pay what's likely a 2-5 cent charge for the nondescript box that keeps them from disappearing off of someone's front porch when delivered.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Lowest* CPR in the country! :toot:
*=Worst

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Alkydere posted:

For those of you who don't want to click the link

And for those who did, the Edit my browsing history" link is at the bottom of the page.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

dovetaile posted:

Lowest* CPR in the country! :toot:
*=Worst

Congrats!!

We’ve managed to finally not be the worst in the district.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
The day shift rep did show up, and now we are caught up. However, the reward for completing work is more work: I've been relabeling about 400 units of pallet wrap (yes you can order a single roll of clear pallet wrap that doesn't have its own box from Amazon instead of a bulk pallet from a warehouse supplier because ???) that a seller mislabeled.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

God i loving hate inventory

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Toraen posted:

The day shift rep did show up, and now we are caught up. However, the reward for completing work is more work: I've been relabeling about 400 units of pallet wrap (yes you can order a single roll of clear pallet wrap that doesn't have its own box from Amazon instead of a bulk pallet from a warehouse supplier because ???) that a seller mislabeled.

I mean, I've packed and shipped dozens of the same gloves and box cutters we have in our inventory vending machines too. So...yay???

Hihohe posted:

God i loving hate inventory

Sounds like you're a perfect match for ISS or Count! The latter's job: A robot with a shelf unit on its head shows up at your station and you have to count the items in every slot to make sure our inventory's actually close to right-ish!

(Inventory management and quality control at Amazon is a dull, tedious hell)

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

Alkydere posted:

I mean, I've packed and shipped dozens of the same gloves and box cutters we have in our inventory vending machines too. So...yay???

Most of my grumpiness about these was how heavy it all was. When I was in a sortables building 400 units of labeling wasn't a big deal, but when every item is individually bigger than a tote...

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
My store is massive and we always frothed ordering one box of pallet wrap at a time. The ASM would insist we write on the board when we were running low and we'd just write it up as soon as we received a new box because we'd burn through it in at most 2 days. He continued to ignore us.

Eventually the fill leader started doing some hella dodgies and writing off big rolls of glad wrap to use instead and I absolutely poo poo myself when some poor fool flew a 2.2metre tall pallet of cleaning products into the racking barely held together with glad. This thing was heavy enough the fork almost couldn't lift it and it turns out glad wrap doesn't hold quite the same measure of strength as pallet wrap does.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Toraen posted:

Most of my grumpiness about these was how heavy it all was. When I was in a sortables building 400 units of labeling wasn't a big deal, but when every item is individually bigger than a tote...

Fair enough. The heavier the item the worse the job is.

Replacing labels on 10,000 8 ounce bottles of hair conditioner? Easy peasy, just let leave me alone in the corner of the building!
Replacing labels on 100 2 kilo bottles of bleach? EVERYTHING SUCKS!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My boss texted me today to call her, which is never a good sign. But when I did call her a few minutes later, she raved on and on for a few minutes about how impressed she was with the work I've been doing, how I was taking initiative a lot more, and she was very happy to see that. I honestly don't know if she was calling the wrong person, because I don't think I've been doing anything out of the ordinary other than trying to get my stuff done efficiently.

Or perhaps she's just buttering me up, because she did mention that the assistant position is going to be posted soon, she can't say exactly when, but she definitely thinks I would have a good chance in getting the slot. She encouraged me to talk to the other assistant manager, and said I probably if I got the position, would not have to move location, only once or twice a week what I have to drive to another store to do my administration duties, but it's not just reading this thread for so long, but the simple fact that I'd like my shift, I like not having to work before and after a certain set time, and the fact that I can go home and not have to worry about anything, is not going to make me choose to do this. Even if somehow the pay rate was twice what it is, and I think it's only 2 or $3 more an hour, I don't think it's going to be worth it.

I think she's on her 4th or 5th assistant since the last one quit last march, she has one currently, and then the second one had to go on medical leave and now he can't work because he busted up his feet so bad he can't walk well.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It is not worth it. Don't do it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

My boss texted me today to call her, which is never a good sign. But when I did call her a few minutes later, she raved on and on for a few minutes about how impressed she was with the work I've been doing, how I was taking initiative a lot more, and she was very happy to see that. I honestly don't know if she was calling the wrong person, because I don't think I've been doing anything out of the ordinary other than trying to get my stuff done efficiently.

Or perhaps she's just buttering me up, because she did mention that the assistant position is going to be posted soon, she can't say exactly when, but she definitely thinks I would have a good chance in getting the slot. She encouraged me to talk to the other assistant manager, and said I probably if I got the position, would not have to move location, only once or twice a week what I have to drive to another store to do my administration duties, but it's not just reading this thread for so long, but the simple fact that I'd like my shift, I like not having to work before and after a certain set time, and the fact that I can go home and not have to worry about anything, is not going to make me choose to do this. Even if somehow the pay rate was twice what it is, and I think it's only 2 or $3 more an hour, I don't think it's going to be worth it.

I think she's on her 4th or 5th assistant since the last one quit last march, she has one currently, and then the second one had to go on medical leave and now he can't work because he busted up his feet so bad he can't walk well.

It’s a trap!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s a trap!

Oh trust me, I know it is.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I love that our dms have been getting on us about marking stuff out of stock and how one or two pieces a day is awful and now suddenly we’re marking out too much stuff out.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

"I'm glad you appreciate me as a worker because I appreciate the position I currently occupy. Go get [dumbest coworker here] to be your assistant, he's dumb enough to fall for the flattery."

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

so I learned two things today:

1) the people buying product for us to sell in our stores work in the heart of the Kroger empire in Ohio. I thought they were at our corporate hq in Compton, but I guess it's even worse!

2) we're probably (80%) going on strike, mostly having to do with unfair labor practices in the form of store managers denying union reps the right to speak to members.

all in all I'm excited. we're having an event on Monday that I'm going to try and go to and I'm looking forward to getting winded talking to random passersby about unions and anti- capitalism :woop:

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 26, 2022

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
I'm currently a manager in a specialised electronics shop, and may have a shot at escaping retail. Thursday had a visit in the store from a regular customer and my old boss who went to work for him, feeling me out to see if I was interested in a position that was opening up. Have to polish up my resume and shoot it through but if everything goes well within a month I'll be out of the 7th level of hell that is retail and instead move in to an office job. Pay is a slight decrease, but it's worth giving that up for the massive increase in quality of life, having my weekends free and working from home when needed.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Rainbow Knight posted:

all in all I'm excited. we're having an event on Monday that I'm going to try and go to and I'm looking forward to getting winded talking to random passersby about unions and anti- capitalism :woop:

Hell yeah.

KTS posted:

Pay is a slight decrease, but it's worth giving that up for the massive increase in quality of life, having my weekends free and working from home when needed.

I did this and it is 100% worth it. Good luck.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
"The DM says we can't close the Fitting Room for any reason."

It's 8:30 on a Friday night and we have 8 customers.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Well in better retail news I came out as trans and my supervisors and manager have been awesome and supportive :toot:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kilonum posted:

Well in better retail news I came out as trans and my supervisors and manager have been awesome and supportive :toot:

This is great to hear, congrats !

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Kilonum posted:

hell yeah!!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kilonum posted:

That is awesome!

I remember in college, we had a speaker panel with transgender, intersex, and other LGBTQ guests and their spouses/support, and pretty much everyone in the class was drawn to a woman named Evelyn, this very sweet and feminine girl who looked like a Disney princess before she dons the princess gown. One of the things she discussed was how she worked at a woodworking factory, and had been terrified to transition because the place was super masculine. But her boss supported her, her team supported her, and she said she went from having a few dozen guys treating her like an annoying little brother, to having a few dozen guys treating her like a favorite baby sister.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Kilonum posted:

gently caress yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

https://twitter.com/GenerationVoid/status/1497590284733063172?t=0i-_7bc0_EcoJ9_sbJ1BRQ&s=19

goons

I don't like this. I know I just said retail sucks butt, but I like that I help people get their food locally. the abuse is bad, yeah, but I don't feel like I'm doing my job against my will. idk it's just a weird take. it seems like something someone says to sound profound