Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

Did you know the den of depravation that is VRChat? Because BBC knows now!
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-60415317

The literal only way to proactively stop something like this is for the games or platforms have access to your real life identity, and I don't think that's something that consumers would put up with. It seems odd to me that all these conversations and discussions seem to dance around that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lemming posted:

The literal only way to proactively stop something like this is for the games or platforms have access to your real life identity, and I don't think that's something that consumers would put up with. It seems odd to me that all these conversations and discussions seem to dance around that point

Yep.

Ironically, the only company trying to tie real life identity with a univocal account is (was?) Facebook!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Vr chat does kinda feel like the game with the most actual toddlers. That has always seemed weird. Like call of duty has plenty of 13 year olds yelling gamer words but vr chat seems like you regularly hear people that sound no older than like 6. Like no kids really should play vr chat in general for how awful it can be but it is really kinda disturbing how obvious it is that it has a massive group of the youngest possible kids playing.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Kids love platforms like Roblox, Fortnite, and VR Chat where whatever is popular with their favorite youtube streamer (Among Us, Five Nights at Freddy's, Dead until Daylight) quickly gets stolen recreated on that platform as well and they don't need to go ask their parents for the new game anymore. At least that's my suspicion.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
honestly, they need to have user accounts tied to identity for a thing like VRChat to not be abused. However I feel absolutely no regret at people having their assets copied and pumped into vrchat who gives a gently caress

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dietrich posted:

Kids love platforms like Roblox, Fortnite, and VR Chat where whatever is popular with their favorite youtube streamer (Among Us, Five Nights at Freddy's, Dead until Daylight) quickly gets stolen recreated on that platform as well and they don't need to go ask their parents for the new game anymore. At least that's my suspicion.

Eh, that is the thing though, it's baked in that any free to play game you will hear plenty of 11 year olds talking about fortnite, but VRchat does really seem like it has a weirdly high number of like 5 or 6 year olds. At the least it feels like the game you are most likely to walk by someone that pronounces "soup" as 'thoup" because they are too little to pronounce the letter s.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This turn of conversation is tempting me to repost again the video about 'Fortnite Daycare' I put two pages ago! So appropriate!

I thought Rec Room/Gorilla Tag would have more kids than VRChat. Of course that still can be the case, it's just having more than a few rare exceptions in VRChat is weird, given the... content you can find.

Perhaps a more interesting insight we can discuss is how it seems VR attracts more young people than older people. I think it could be older people set in their ways ("I play on tv"), and/or caring more how they look with the headset on top.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 23, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You might not be wrong, but there are a whole group of us who grew up during the 80’s and were constantly promised Virtual Reality only to have it be some half assed lcd shutter system (or the virtual boy lol) who have been waiting for this tech like it was the flying car promise of our parents generation

I can tell you that’s 99% of why I bought a CV1, I’d been waiting for it ever since I played Dactyl Nightmare back in the early 90’s at the state fair.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You might not be wrong, but there are a whole group of us who grew up during the 80’s and were constantly promised Virtual Reality only to have it be some half assed lcd shutter system (or the virtual boy lol) who have been waiting for this tech like it was the flying car promise of our parents generation

I can tell you that’s 99% of why I bought a CV1, I’d been waiting for it ever since I played Dactyl Nightmare back in the early 90’s at the state fair.

Same. I'd have zero interest in VR if it weren't for that 90s boom of lovely VR tech that crashed and burned, and thinking to myself "I don't care what they say, some day there'll be real VR and it'll be awesome!". And for the most part, I was right. VR is here and it is pretty awesome, but it's still pretty niche and mostly attracts either older people who always wanted VR since they were kids and never gave up the hope, and kids who are like we were at that age.

As for VRChat, they really just need to stick it behind a paywall. That'd take care of at least some of the little kid problem. The ID/credit card thing would take care of the rest. I don't know why they don't do it, because even now the only way the devs are making money is from their "premium" subscription or whatever, and that requires entering your personal info and paying money with a card. Little kids aren't making them money, and won't ever.

e: But what will actually happen is that the devs will just crack down even harder on adult content, because they'll learn the wrong lessons and we live in a commodified, Disneyfied hell where we can't have weird, stupid adult poo poo. I'm fine with the creepy VRChat stuff, I'm not fine with kids getting involved with it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

It's 100% down to the fact that it's on Quest. Kids get a Quest from their parents who don't do any research, then they go into VRC unsupervised.

VRchat actually has flags in its API to mark NSFW stuff, but they're not even used for anything. They really need to have the option to age gate worlds.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Any free game/app will be absolutely overrun with children.

Most kids get 1-2 games a year (birthday, Christmas) so they flock to poo poo like Fortnite, Roblocks, VrChat, and AppLab.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You might not be wrong, but there are a whole group of us who grew up during the 80’s and were constantly promised Virtual Reality only to have it be some half assed lcd shutter system (or the virtual boy lol)

This post, right here? I felt that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

King Vidiot posted:

e: But what will actually happen is that the devs will just crack down even harder on adult content, because they'll learn the wrong lessons and we live in a commodified, Disneyfied hell where we can't have weird, stupid adult poo poo. I'm fine with the creepy VRChat stuff, I'm not fine with kids getting involved with it.

Nah, there's a tacit understanding that NSFW avatars are fine in private and only get nuked if they get reported in a public instance. What they might do is crack down on the worlds like FBT Heaven (A strip club world) and maybe Just B Club.

What they should do is change the game from free to a dollar to make an account. Won't stop all the kids, but it'll cut them down a good bit and they can't rereg once they get booted. Do a number on the hackers too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Man, I was addicted to VR hype before the internet was a way to read about it. We used to get EggHead catalogs in the mail and I would flip through them to look at Virtual Reality headsets. I remember going to the mailbox to look for info on this guy:

Also Teleroboxer is the best VR game ever.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A bit more content for Pistol Whip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv2mHcQKu5M

and another Stalker inspired VR game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7ekXRKKbnk

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Been playing a bit more Rec Room to chill.

There are some dudes that take paintball VERY seriously. You're 30, dude and you are literally screaming at children. What the gently caress.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

this looks pretty bad :(

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

null_pointer posted:

Asked this a few pages back, it got lost and never got an answer, so I'll try once more.

For you Index users, how are you stowing your headset and cable (especially the cable)? I have mine resting, horizontally, on a generic stand with the cable coiled and resting on top of it. It works as well as you would think -- what motivated me to type this post up was watching the cable slowly unspool and fall onto the floor, on its own.

I don't need to store it in a box, or anything, just ... some examples of how you goons might be storing the thing in ways that you're happy with.

I throw mine on the floor.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

marumaru posted:

this looks pretty bad :(

Look, have you seen the last VR releases? https://store.steampowered.com/vr/ I'd say it's above the average!

I agree it doesn't look very good

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Look, have you seen the last VR releases? https://store.steampowered.com/vr/ I'd say it's above the average!

I agree it doesn't look very good

Wow, not a single instance of VR Hentai Date 23 in there? Must be a good day for VR!

ChronoBasher
Jul 2, 2007
I thought I read somewhere that kids arnt really supposed to use vr under like 12 or something because it could screw with Thier eye development?

Maybe it was during my quest setup, but I do remember seeing it, as I thought some VR stuff would be fun with my kid, but she's way too young if 12 is the cutoff point, so I quickly discarded the idea.

I'd never even think of letting her roam free in something like VR chat - who the hell are these parents just handing the quest to thier kids and walking away?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Hahaha that loving embedded video. She feels horrible that a random person is pressing a beer bottle towards her private areas, then the video plays and it's jake from Adventure Time doing it. Like... how can anyone take that interaction seriously at that point?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, I love the design of the PSVR2 but I don't think I'll have much use for it, probably?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yup, I got involved back in the original dev kits solely based on seeing VR stuff growing up, and being a little kid leafing through my brother's copies of PCgamer magazine and all the VR spotlight articles. Cool graphics, eh you can get that from a video clip or screenshot, but VR was something completely different that there was no way to experience without physically putting on a headset, which was just an unrealistic thing back then. No one owned them, no places had them set up, so for 20 years it was always just a dream that came and went and I never got to experience.

Inzombiac posted:

Man, I love the design of the PSVR2 but I don't think I'll have much use for it, probably?

I mean, it will probably have a fair amount of sony exclusives though at least?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Turin Turambar posted:

what does the "PC and Quest users are not synchronised" message in the first pic mean? b/c of different latency?

I've suspected that the maps I've made in Soundboxing since getting the quest are kind of weird, they feel good to play on the Quest but watching the map on the website the beats look off by a tiny bit.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 23, 2022

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I followed the tutorial video and QuestCraft will play music while loading but just hang on the three dots. I'll give it another shot once my headset is charged, but maybe I just have to wait for an update.

Inzombiac posted:

Been playing a bit more Rec Room to chill.

There are some dudes that take paintball VERY seriously. You're 30, dude and you are literally screaming at children. What the gently caress.
Sounds more like airsoft than paintball.

Tom Guycot posted:

Yup, I got involved back in the original dev kits solely based on seeing VR stuff growing up, and being a little kid leafing through my brother's copies of PCgamer magazine and all the VR spotlight articles. Cool graphics, eh you can get that from a video clip or screenshot, but VR was something completely different that there was no way to experience without physically putting on a headset, which was just an unrealistic thing back then. No one owned them, no places had them set up, so for 20 years it was always just a dream that came and went and I never got to experience.
Let me throw a bit of nostalgia at you

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 23, 2022

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Rec Royale is one of my fave VR things really. Being able to watch people's panicked body language when you get the drop on them is such a joy, and the weapons work far better than the hitscan stuff in other VR battle royales. The paint rifle/pistol are two of my fave guns in any game ever, when you get the arc juuuuust right for a headshot :hellyeah:

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tom Guycot posted:

I had a bunch of missed opportunities to try VR as a kid in the 90s. Everytime we ran across a VR arcade my dad would refuse to even consider it because he said it was too expensive and he heard it wasn't even that cool.

I actually know the exact date of the missed opportunity that pissed me off the worst, June 17, 1994.

My family went to the grand opening of a new electronics store and they had a virtuality setup that you could play for free! I waited in the line for about half an hour, was near the front, and then my dad dragged me out of the line saying, "Come with me! You have to see this! You're never gonna forget it!"

He took me to the TV section where every TV was showing live footage of the OJ Simpson bronco "chase". You cannot imagine how angry I was that I was missing virtual reality to see a bronco slowly drive down an empty freeway. I didn't even know who OJ was.

Anyways, my dad was right, I never forgot that poo poo. It was definitely on my mind when I purchased the first Rift DK1.

I do wonder, if I had actually tried the virtuality system would I still have been so excited for VR as an adult? Would I be a VR game dev now? Did OJ murdering his wife set the course for my life?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the year is 1994, I've read about the Aladdin Virtual Reality game at disney world in the Disney Adventures magazine. I'm going to disney world, this is one of the things I'm most excited about. Turns out at that time it wasn't something you could actually play, it was an exhibition at future world where a crowd watched like three people play it on a stage. But! we got there early and my family was talking to a cast member I think? because I got to go on stage and play it. Really a mindblowing experience for a 7 year old. I still remember the graphics like I was actually living in a cartoon, I don't remember any visual weirdness or screen door effect or anything it was just, A Cartoon. Jafar popped up at the end and scared the poo poo out of me and everyone laughed.

edit: it is more than possible this occurred on june 14 1994

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I remember reading an article about the potential of the tech that would eventually become modern AR like the Hololens, 17 years ago. I guess in the grand scheme of things it isn't actually that long ago! And that gives me a lot of hope for where the next five or ten years will go as well.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't think I thought about VR much as a kid but I just remembered this weird VR swordfighting game they had at that weird Disney Quest place at DisneyWorld Florida. I think even as a kid I came away thinking that it kind of sucked but could be cool in 20 years or so lol

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

ChronoBasher posted:

I thought I read somewhere that kids arnt really supposed to use vr under like 12 or something because it could screw with Thier eye development?

Maybe it was during my quest setup, but I do remember seeing it, as I thought some VR stuff would be fun with my kid, but she's way too young if 12 is the cutoff point, so I quickly discarded the idea.

I'd never even think of letting her roam free in something like VR chat - who the hell are these parents just handing the quest to thier kids and walking away?

Jury is still out iirc and the recommendation is erring on the side of caution. Consult your optometrist.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Vr chat does kinda feel like the game with the most actual toddlers. That has always seemed weird. Like call of duty has plenty of 13 year olds yelling gamer words but vr chat seems like you regularly hear people that sound no older than like 6. Like no kids really should play vr chat in general for how awful it can be but it is really kinda disturbing how obvious it is that it has a massive group of the youngest possible kids playing.

I was showing a friend who was new to VRChat those goofy buff Pokémon avatars. I accidentally loaded up a public instance with just the two of us there and it took less than 5 minutes for a 10 year old to pop in and start switching between sexually explicit and racist avatars before I finally found where they moved the report and block buttons to in the new UI. That's the first and last time I've been in a public world in the last 6+ months. I just stick to my friends group in friends+ worlds. If I want to be in public to meet new people I will only do so in PC only worlds.

In my opinion the best way to prevent kids would be to either lock the game behind enough of a pay wall that kids likely wouldn't be able to pay for, or simply remove quest support and make it PC-only. Unfortunately those are two extremely unpopular opinions.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't think I thought about VR much as a kid but I just remembered this weird VR swordfighting game they had at that weird Disney Quest place at DisneyWorld Florida. I think even as a kid I came away thinking that it kind of sucked but could be cool in 20 years or so lol

At a swap meet last weekend I found a toy I used to have back in the late 80’s. It was a color LCD dogfighting game with a 3D effect that was setup like binoculars.

Managed to get it working after some thorough cleaning, corrosion removal, and resoldering. The sounds really bring me back. Ive always loved 3D poo poo. Viewmasters. Captain EO. David Copperfield 3D TV specials.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lister posted:

Hahaha that loving embedded video. She feels horrible that a random person is pressing a beer bottle towards her private areas, then the video plays and it's jake from Adventure Time doing it. Like... how can anyone take that interaction seriously at that point?

Because it's a question of intent and that's a real person behind the avatar.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

God help me, I still want a Tiger R-Zone

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because it's a question of intent and that's a real person behind the avatar.

There's been a few times I've been violated in VR and had to use the panic button. It's real enough to my brain that it feels like actual assault. This is why I stick to my friends group or discord communities.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I have 35 quest munny but nothing really seems appealing there. I think if I can use it for stormland I might get that, but I haven't checked to see if it's quest only

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

TIP posted:

I had a bunch of missed opportunities to try VR as a kid in the 90s. Everytime we ran across a VR arcade my dad would refuse to even consider it because he said it was too expensive and he heard it wasn't even that cool.

I actually know the exact date of the missed opportunity that pissed me off the worst, June 17, 1994.

My family went to the grand opening of a new electronics store and they had a virtuality setup that you could play for free! I waited in the line for about half an hour, was near the front, and then my dad dragged me out of the line saying, "Come with me! You have to see this! You're never gonna forget it!"

He took me to the TV section where every TV was showing live footage of the OJ Simpson bronco "chase". You cannot imagine how angry I was that I was missing virtual reality to see a bronco slowly drive down an empty freeway. I didn't even know who OJ was.

Anyways, my dad was right, I never forgot that poo poo. It was definitely on my mind when I purchased the first Rift DK1.

I do wonder, if I had actually tried the virtuality system would I still have been so excited for VR as an adult? Would I be a VR game dev now? Did OJ murdering his wife set the course for my life?

Hah.

The moment that stuck out for me was 1996 and going to some electronics show/sale big event thingy and they had a demo set up of quake running on that VFX-1 headset. The line was too long for it though and my dad wanted to go look at camcorders to pick up a new one so we weren't able to try it out.

I can only imagine how bad Quake running at like, 230x180, 18fps with like a 45 degree FOV and god knows how much lag would have been. I don't know if I would have just been so blown away as a kid it wouldn't have mattered, or if it would have spoiled the magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I got to mess with a VFX-1, playing some flight simulator I don't remember. It was a narrow field of view and low resolution, and the head tracking I remember was drifty. But it was enough to give a glimpse at the potential that was possible. Being able to look around and out the canopy or down at the dials in the cockpit was pretty rad.