Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

after 4000 hours I still haven't reached the border. the map is now larger than the earth itself. I just killed a 23 phase boss. my stats are beyond what can be represented with numbers. is this heaven, or hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I am not playing Elden Ring until someone replaces every instance of the Elden Ring in the game with mr Goatse's ring, thanks in advance

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Hoping that when you reach the world's borders you are yeeted back 250' like in those old ATV games on PS2

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

The Gadfly posted:

I'm on the fence about buying this game, and I've never played any Souls games.

Is this a good game for those who prefer ranged combat?

Like, in Skyrim, I always go for bow or magic builds and manually aim projectiles. I didn't really like Witcher 3 combat because it was basically all melee, and the only ranged combat was lock-on, which I found boring.

I know this is from a few pages back, but it resonated with me so I'd like to try answering it.

I also play Skyrim with bows and magic, specifically because Elder Scrolls melee combat sucks so much rear end that playing a melee character actually detracts from the experience. Similarly, Witcher 3's mele combat, while better than Skyrims, still isn't really all that great. It does its job but it's nothing spectacular and doesn't feel weighty or impactful.

However when it comes to Souls-style melee combat, I love it to death. Souls games absolutely set the bar by which all 3rd person melee combat games should be measured. I wouldn't worry about finding a good non-melee build in this game because FromSoft's melee combat is exceptional and it really should give you what you're looking for out of playing a Sword Fighty Spell Casty Video Game.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 23, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
wow the guy from GamesSpy just said the open world of Elden Ring is as vast as No Man's Sky and you might play for weeks and never encounter another player

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Anno posted:

Skillup’s review said he got pretty locked 60fps on a 2080ti and Ryzen 3700x at 1440p. He did report small areas of the world had stuttering, but they weren’t widespread and this was before the patch rolled out. So seems fine?

pc performance just seems extremely inconsistent, there's people reporting regular crashes & annoying-to-severe fps drop issues, and other people reporting only minor stuttering issues. some reviewers even said by asking around it sounded like that top-end pcs generally had a worse time, so it's not that it's super demanding being the issue.

& it's all pre-day 1 patch too, that only just came out a few hours ago so no one's had time to test it yet.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Are there any detailed breakdowns about how it runs on PS4 (pro)? My PC is under spec so that's my only choice, but I'm a bit wary after Cyberpunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7w44kVcfKs

this is the only thing i've seen so far. pre-patch, ps4 pro runs at approx 30 fps but it's not steady & has slightly more detail than base ps4.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh poo poo i made that dumb joke not realizing GameSpy was still around lol, just figured they were dead oh nvm IGN just hosts the corpse of the site

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

bound hollowed ashen bloody one-armed tarnished hosed-up little man

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the reviewer for GameShart just gave it their first 15/10 rating, he said the game "returned my dead son to me." not quite sure what that is about.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

eheheheheheheehhehehheehehueheuehueheuheueh :getin:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Fanatical sent out their keys this morning

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Keep in mind that half these people posting about PC ain't know poo poo, and probably have their video cards half inserted and running the game off the iGPU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

codo27 posted:

Hoping that when you reach the world's borders you are yeeted back 250' like in those old ATV games on PS2

This brings me back. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLg2hRSUoL8

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
these guys did the theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPX_L2_35Rw

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

codo27 posted:

Keep in mind that half these people posting about PC ain't know poo poo, and probably have their video cards half inserted and running the game off the iGPU

As somebody who is dumb as dogshit, I will happily say "representation matters"

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

eheheheheheheehhehehheehehueheuehueheuheueh :getin:

Your horse can get poisoned, but it won't go away and you have to use a consumable to fix it. The swamps are at least 75% of the world's area

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Your horse can get poisoned, but it won't go away and you have to use a consumable to fix it. The swamps are at least 75% of the world's area

There's a new minigame where you have to pull your horse out of the swamp if you accidentally enter deeper water

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Russia is invading Ukraine because they are no longer the largest country in the world, the game world of Elden Ring is bigger by square miles per pixel.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
ELDEN RING

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Elden Ring is bigger than my largest son

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

feeble bound hollowed ashen bloody one-armed tarnished hosed-up little man

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The entire game after the first zone is just poison swamps, when Miyazaki sent out the review copies he also out sent out the address of the reviewer's family and a picture of them sleeping.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

There's a new minigame where you have to pull your horse out of the swamp if you accidentally enter deeper water

Do NOT fail this minigame. You WILL lose your horse.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I am ready to die 1 million times. I think I am just going to be a punch man. Are there knuckle weapons do you think?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
your character can carry a gun but never uses it because of "honor." the only use for the gun is to shoot your horse when it breaks a leg (happens a lot).

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/rockpapershot/status/1496501523551039490

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
They called it Elden Ring because ur ring will be so elden by the time you reach the edge of the map

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

The reviews so far haven't mentioned how entering a poison swamp will inflict ligma.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

I keep forgetting that I'll be restricted to 16:9 rather than 21:9 so my 1080ti will do just fine it seems.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

TheMostFrench posted:

The reviews so far haven't mentioned how entering a poison swamp will inflict ligma.

what's "poison swamp?"

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

TheMostFrench posted:

what's "reviews"

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

lmao why the gently caress did they give people review copies 1 week ago. that's insane.

i bet at the end they just went 'welp we didn't have enough time sorry' and just trusted nobody would get there.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I can't wait to find a weird swamp charm and you put it on and it does nothing but the next time you wake up you're a lovely little frog man and it hurts your run but everyone wears it and insists they are now Frogbros

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm looking forward to playing this game as well

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pladdicus posted:

lmao why the gently caress did they give people review copies 1 week ago. that's insane.

because it went gold 4 weeks ago

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Pladdicus posted:

i bet at the end they just went 'welp we didn't have enough time sorry' and just trusted nobody would get there.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I've been laughing non-stop - keep it up everyone. This morning rules.

PS here is the FromSoft goons Discord: https://discord.gg/AQDgW8cE

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Pladdicus posted:

The last area of the game is Lost Izalith and the final boss is the Bed of Chaos. Not as like a metaphor or a point of comparison, literally just the same zone and enemies, even the same graphics.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

lmao

1stGear posted:

The last area of the game is Lost Izalith and the final boss is the Bed of Chaos. Not as like a metaphor or a point of comparison, literally just the same zone and enemies, even the same graphics.

king's field rear end zones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

calling all the mom and pops in the area to see if anyone is breaking street date today. i'm on the list at one they expect it in on thursday.

this game is bringing my hype levels to heights they haven't been at in years.