Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E: NM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So I saw something today.

Right after work at around 5:10pm I leave my house to do a quick run to a corner store for beer and a nearby grocery store to grab cat litter on the way back home. Probably like a two and a half mile round trip. Nights are starting to get shorter around here now so it was still plenty bright out, didn't even need to have headlights on yet. The grocery store is within walking distance from my house, maybe like 10 blocks total. I'm idling at a stop light on my street, maybe six blocks straight shot from home. As I'm sitting at the red I notice almost directly at 12 o'clock just at the top of my windshield is a star. It's bright yellow in a completely cloudless sky and it seemed to be lazily meandering toward 6 o'clock.

This street light generally takes forever since it's on an intersection of one of the main roads in town so I had like 10-15 seconds to watch it. At first I thought it was a plane, so I was looking for secondary lights or something, but it was either too high up or too far away for me to pick any of that up. It was also moving way too slow.

Town has a local airport and you see a lot of air traffic from a nearby military base, and it's not far to the Seatac airport, but this thing wasn't heading in the direction of any of those places. Anyway, in the spirit of Birdcrew even though I just lurk, I thought, with intention "I see you."

Light turns green, I take my eyes off this thing for maybe a second and a half to watch the road as I crossed the intersection and when I looked back up it was gone. Nothing at all in the sky, no clouds, no other "stars," nothing. When I pulled into my driveway a minute or two later I scanned the whole sky I could see and there was just nothing out there.

So, having been trying to be more open to the idea in general and hoping to see something, I saw something.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Theotus posted:

Right after work at around 5:10pm I leave my house to do a quick run to a corner store for beer and a nearby grocery store to grab cat litter on the way back home. Probably like a two and a half mile round trip. Nights are starting to get shorter around here now so it was still plenty bright out, didn't even need to have headlights on yet. The grocery store is within walking distance from my house, maybe like 10 blocks total. I'm idling at a stop light on my street, maybe six blocks straight shot from home. As I'm sitting at the red I notice almost directly at 12 o'clock just at the top of my windshield is a star. It's bright yellow in a completely cloudless sky and it seemed to be lazily meandering toward 6 o'clock.

This street light generally takes forever since it's on an intersection of one of the main roads in town so I had like 10-15 seconds to watch it. At first I thought it was a plane, so I was looking for secondary lights or something, but it was either too high up or too far away for me to pick any of that up. It was also moving way too slow.

Town has a local airport and you see a lot of air traffic from a nearby military base, and it's not far to the Seatac airport, but this thing wasn't heading in the direction of any of those places. Anyway, in the spirit of Birdcrew even though I just lurk, I thought, with intention "I see you."

Light turns green, I take my eyes off this thing for maybe a second and a half to watch the road as I crossed the intersection and when I looked back up it was gone. Nothing at all in the sky, no clouds, no other "stars," nothing. When I pulled into my driveway a minute or two later I scanned the whole sky I could see and there was just nothing out there.

So, having been trying to be more open to the idea in general and hoping to see something, I saw something.

:toot: and welcome

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

:toot: and welcome

Thank you. Nice to actually have content. I downloaded the noise tapes because of you guys. Haven't really delved into that whole thing yet, but it sounds wild.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Theotus posted:

Hell yeah thread success story

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Theotus posted:

Thank you. Nice to actually have content. I downloaded the noise tapes because of you guys. Haven't really delved into that whole thing yet, but it sounds wild.

Hope you enjoy. I don't do those but do mindfulness meditation for other reasons. It's invigorating

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Riot Bimbo posted:

even if it's about wacky woo poo poo, from their pov it's entirely about power and optics

like if aliens are here and visiting, and it's meat puppet aliens w/ all the evolutionary material trimmings, that still undermines power structures in a significant way. government legitimacy, economic legitimacy would be dead as gently caress, and power brokers would rather take the world down in a torrent of flames and gamma radiation than ever allow that.

if there's psychic/woo stuff then like yeah, having the media control channels disseminate info about that, even with hooks and caveats that would control the majority, suddenly dumps a ton of power into the hands of people they would, again, rather blow up the planet than share power with, so it's like... yeah there has to be people invested in keeping this box lid tightly shut even as it leaks

if they're meat puppet aliens, the future we have to look forward to is the one in the book "First Contract"

its a good book, like 300 pages so you can zip through it in an afternoon, aliens show up and offer advanced technology in exchange for resource rights for part of the solar system and it completely fucks up every country on earth except for the tourist traps the aliens like because now alien currency is worth so much more than earth dollars, here's the goodreads link even though nobody is gonna click it lol
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/842493.First_Contract

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Thanks! No idea if it’s complete bunk, but in my single use anecdotal sample it surprisingly came up with something rather symbolic related to my intention.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I want to be married to space

I already am :smug:

Empty space :negative:

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Theotus posted:

:eyepop:

(I saw similar thing not to long ago and did the same thing with the thinking at it, then looked away and had it disappear, it's a post but I wouldn't go looking for it cause you'd have to read my other posts)

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Fly Ricky posted:

Thanks! No idea if it’s complete bunk, but in my single use anecdotal sample it surprisingly came up with something rather symbolic related to my intention.

yeah its an interesting thing but i am not quite sure if user sees what they wanna see or if it actually does detect 'anomolies' of a sort in the area

i have it but its always guided me to private properties

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Theotus posted:

I'm in that area, where were you relative to seatac? approximates are more than fine and you don't gotta get into it if you don't wanna; I'm just a few miles from seatac and usual air traffic deffo follows a few set paths; though boeing field is the bigger nuisance for me~

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Riot Bimbo posted:

I'm in that area, where were you relative to seatac? approximates are more than fine and you don't gotta get into it if you don't wanna; I'm just a few miles from seatac and usual air traffic deffo follows a few set paths; though boeing field is the bigger nuisance for me~

I'm in Olympia.

edit: So you'd expect traffic to the airport in Tumwater, Fort Lewis or Seatac. Was not going to any of them.

Theotus has issued a correction as of 08:54 on Feb 23, 2022

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

If you are interested in this you should peruse the top posts in the randonautica subreddit. Some very interesting ones.

This is actually a great topic for this thread and everybody should go read up on what this is and how it works. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on it. Also much like the RV stuff it's something we can all experiment with and report back!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Great idea.

When I used it, I was directed to a fully developed residential area. There was a house on Google Maps in that location, but when I arrived it had been recently demolished. Searches the field and came upon something relevant.

I’m down for trying it again.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I tried it and it told me to go onto one of the few places im sure would draw cops for trespassing so nope to that

Kinda want to anyway tbh

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

yeah like its cool and all
but remember encylopedia dramatica is run by the office of naval intel

like the monroe poo poo it has this thing hanging over it where its a bit suspiciously well funded plus u get all the weirdos data harvesting to boot

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

lol gently caress we live in an age where even if u never do anything dodge you kinda want a different burner phone for each of your hobbies and whims and who the gently caress can manage that poo poo

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I simply do not talk about my [redacted] activities in any electronic medium.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Say nothing in or around electronic things you arent okay with being heard by objective shitheads

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
i shoved an alexa into a closet with a stereo repeating pro-union messages. hoping to be banned from amazon

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

oh man those things and that ridiculous 'ring' or whatever home sec system is poo poo i used to think ok i know this is scifi but no way would anyone invite that in lol

in the same way i thought jello biafra was kinda pushing it a bit far, its all coming true

https://youtu.be/ZToAKJYEIxQ

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

More Lue's clues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EMP71LF1JE&t=1s

he namedrops remote viewing and psychic stuff again so I'm of no doubt Lue believes in the interconnected stuff

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

More Lue's clues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EMP71LF1JE&t=1s

he namedrops remote viewing and psychic stuff again so I'm of no doubt Lue believes in the interconnected stuff

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

goldmine

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Rime posted:

I have been screaming this from the rooftops everywhere, but anyone interested should immediately pick up a copy of David Graebers magnum opus: "The Dawn of Everything: A New History of Humanity". I am on my second run through of the audiobook version in a month and the cases he makes are so brutally compelling. It is CSPAM as gently caress.

I've had the ebook of this for a while now but haven't started. I was gonna dive right into Ross Coulthart's UFO book after finishing Keans' but I reckon I will take a break from aitee and go for Graeber instead. Thanks for the reminder.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Poetry
They should’ve sent a poet

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rime posted:

I have been screaming this from the rooftops everywhere, but anyone interested should immediately pick up a copy of David Graebers magnum opus: "The Dawn of Everything: A New History of Humanity". I am on my second run through of the audiobook version in a month and the cases he makes are so brutally compelling. It is CSPAM as gently caress.

Synopsis of it: All of human history as it is presented to us has been carefully curated to support the status quo of power structures as they developed in the west within the past 400 years. Specifically rigidly hierarchical consumer-capitalist class systems with little mobility or legitimate freedom for individuals within them.

Everything you think you know about human history, from Gobleki Tepe, to the First Nations of North America, to the Egyptians, to the Inca, right up to the middle ages, has been at best deliberately misrepresented and at worst outright fabricated to serve as foundational propaganda for our civilization. A civilization wherein, for the first time in human history, elites have absolute inviolable control over the lives of everyone below them. It is also a civilization visibly unwinding, as historically these societies have always collapsed far sooner than their non-hierarchical counterparts.

Seriously, pick it up right the gently caress now, it is breathtaking.

https://climateandcapitalism.com/2021/12/17/the-dawn-of-everything-gets-human-history-wrong/

what do you make of the critiques here? I'm defo gonna get the softback when it comes out in June, but wound up reading this in the meantime (I know it's weird to read criticism before the text itself!)

EDIT here's a full version of the first review - the full version makes its points a lot more clearly/better

https://www.focaalblog.com/2021/12/22/chris-knight-wrong-about-almost-everything/

Barry Foster has issued a correction as of 14:18 on Feb 23, 2022

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

:golfclap:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Slavvy posted:

Where my brain goes after that is: if you had the classic spaceship landing on the whitehouse lawn scenario, and the UAP's are psionically active in some way, what would happen to the fabric of reality when everyone wakes up to an all-channels blitz about the aliens being real and here? Maybe this is the reaction Lue et al are concerned about - not PR or public opinion or political stability, but reality itself being altered by billions of people's minds being blown at the same time.

oh hey I just played this in Saints Row IV last night

I need to check out the GCP, my wife and i love that kind of poo poo.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Barry Foster posted:

https://climateandcapitalism.com/2021/12/17/the-dawn-of-everything-gets-human-history-wrong/

what do you make of the critiques here? I'm defo gonna get the softback when it comes out in June, but wound up reading this in the meantime (I know it's weird to read criticism before the text itself!)

EDIT here's a full version of the first review - the full version makes its points a lot more clearly/better

https://www.focaalblog.com/2021/12/22/chris-knight-wrong-about-almost-everything/

Knight and Lindisfarne are giants in the field, Knight's criticism of the rejection of evolutionary theory is particularly damning in my eyes

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

For the randonautica stuff it's important to mention what your intention was because that's where the really weird part comes in. When it frequently sends you to somewhere that is spot on for your intention.

Check this out:
https://twitter.com/Debriefmedia/status/1496515262128046085?t=21NeZO8HPfCpYRuxC3SZNA&s=19

Ok so a study of one but the anecdotal data is as big as UAPs so maybe something really is there. What is super interesting to me is that there is zero evolutionary reason for such a thing to be pre-programmed in a human brain. So why is it there? The only answers I can come up with (assuming this study holds up) involve things I don't necessarily believe in.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

What's that P'nutti doing to his anus?!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

D-Pad posted:

For the randonautica stuff it's important to mention what your intention was because that's where the really weird part comes in. When it frequently sends you to somewhere that is spot on for your intention.

Check this out:
https://twitter.com/Debriefmedia/status/1496515262128046085?t=21NeZO8HPfCpYRuxC3SZNA&s=19

Ok so a study of one but the anecdotal data is as big as UAPs so maybe something really is there. What is super interesting to me is that there is zero evolutionary reason for such a thing to be pre-programmed in a human brain. So why is it there? The only answers I can come up with (assuming this study holds up) involve things I don't necessarily believe in.

So this is a recurrence sort of thing and your consciousness is returning to the source, taking with it the nice moments to enrich the collective us

e:
I mean to say, if there's any semblance of a reality to nonlocality why would it not be conceivable that our atoms are paired and born from a centralized consciousness
like our lives are just little instances broken off from the source and periodically reconnected like a 5g signal syncing

Good Soldier Svejk has issued a correction as of 17:48 on Feb 23, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Wrote this after messing around with Randonautica some time ago, it's the most mindblowing experience I've had:

quote:

I decided to do an attractor (an attractor is a point determined from a cluster of QRNG points) chain (a chain is simply setting an attractor, traveling to it, and setting a new attractor from that location, traveling to that one, repeat as many times as you like) from a radius of 1000m from my then apartment.

I set off to the first point and there wasn't much of note there. It was under an overpass with train tracks and there was a mural there with an Indian chief and a train. I set my next location.

Bright colors, rainbows, butterflies, and owls (the significance of this, if you choose to ascribe it, is the frequency with which rainbows, butterflies, and especially owls turn up during randonauting as reported on the sub and in chats; but to me it's too tenuous to ascribe more meaning than is due) murals dot the path on my walk to the next location. I arrive at the actual point.

Bumpkiss! Nothing of note really whatsoever. The point itself couldn't be reach as it was behind a tall fence, nothing of interest was near the point nor did any interesting events unfold (also a possibility). I set my next point.

I'm taken to a strange little section of the city, not much traveled by foot given its locale. I'm across the street from the point and spot a cup tucked in a warped fence, as if the fence were cupholder. I thought it random and interesting and snapped a picture (I have to dig it up so not including here out of laziness, I promise it's not that interesting). But the point itself was across the street and there at the point I saw a restaurant called Restaurant. Very curiously the restaurant shared a building with a tire shop on its left and a car wash on its right. The large windows were dark, though it was daytime, and the interior unilluminated so I couldn't see inside. Naturally I had to go in, needing to resist my trepidation to do so. I resolved to get a water, it was a hot day, and went inside.

The inside was dark and there were long buffet tables with empty trays. There was no one behind the counter. It was empty save for two women seated across from each other in the middle of the restaurant at a circular table having a conversation in Spanish (I'm fluent). The one on the left had a red patterned skirt, she appeared to be in her 40s and, curiously for her age, she had a labret piercing. The other woman was quite simple and nothing about her stood out, she was of a similar age to the other woman. Now the women there on the left, appearing to me like something of a witch, addressed me:

"You cut your hair!"

And I had, in fact, cut my hair. Just the day before. So this really took me by surprise. It seemed impossible that she would not only know this but say it as the first words from her lips, with a familiarity that was, of course, unwarranted. I responded with the same confusion I felt:

"How do you know that?"

She said, "Your hair was so long! And now you've cut it!"

And this, too, was true. I had, until a year and a half prior, donned waist-length long hair, which I cut after five years for a corporate position. I wondered if I knew her, or if she knew me, and I simply did not recognize her.

"Yes, I cut it a while ago now. But I did also have a haircut yesterday."

She looked at me curiously, "No, you must've just cut it. I saw you earlier this week!"

I was sweating from the heat and humidity outside, although the restaurant was cool enough. I went to the cooler behind her and grabbed a water before joining them at the table. We kept talking and trying to figure this thing out.

It so happened, we discovered during this brief conversation, that I was the spitting image of a young man they knew, who worked in the area and visited them regularly. It took them so long to realize I was not him, about five minutes, and they remained puzzled although seemingly nonplussed and jovial. Eventually they agreed I was not, in fact, this other person. All they said was, "You are just like him. Exactly like him. But his eyes are lighter," which they could now tell, being sat near me.

I paid for the water, thanked them, and left.

I've had other positive (affirmative) experiences with the app. A personal favorite was letting someone else set an intention, for "old, abandoned", and we were lead to a field (there weren't any no trespassing signs posted and the truck that came down the dirt road just waved at us as we milled about) where we found the old, rusting frame of an airplane plopped down in the field. The diehard skeptic I was with didn't want to call it a hit cause it was about 30 ft. from the point. We also found it as the third point we tried: first was a slab of rusted metal that had been leaned against a tree and the tree had begun to grow around it - impossible to move the slab, the second was on private property with a no trespassing sign that we were just about to ignore until we got yelled at by people some distance away across the road. After finding the plane we decided to walk around the area some, into the woods and whatnot. Found some downed trees which was a bit odd but nothing spectacular.

It's fairly common in my experiences that cool stuff happens after two points on an "attractor chain" so if you want to give it a whirl it's what I recommend. Ah I'm thinking about so much other cool stuff I found with the app. Good stuff.

Edit, I want to tantalize with some stuff I have. I have pictures for most of these but I don't want to go through the trouble to grab and upload them at the moment, sorry:

1. Nature preserve which is immediately adjacent to a strip mall (entrance is from a parking lot). Had no idea it was there! Very good spot. Not anomalous just grateful the app lead me to find something cool. The only anomalous thing that occurred with this one was on my drive back from the preserve there was a woman walking down the highway bridge with a clipboard, on the narrow shoulder against oncoming traffic. I have never seen anyone walking there (very dangerous, no reason to) before or since.

2. Found some coyote decoys in an industrial area. Not remarkable per se but interesting that the app lead me right to them when there's just concrete and buildings here it found the one interesting thing.

3. Shack in the woods! This is apparently pretty common. We found this one at night - or at least the trail that lead to it - but turned around due to the no trespassing signs and the voices we heard up the trail. Went back the next day, found the shack which was kind of... odd. But the point wasn't on the shack it was a little bit into the woods away from the shack and I decided to go right to the point: found a blueberry sprig there, right on the point. Couldn't spot any blueberries anywhere in the area and I did try.

4. Bar with a seating alcove. Know the bars in that area well but seldom entered this one and tucked in the back they have these really nice chairs and reading area with a sunroof.

5. Right after the bar I decided to call it a day with the app and started skating home. Stumbled on a Caribbean Day Parade which was so cool! Didn't know it was going on. Nothing special here really it was just... auspicious.

6. Red door with an "101 1/2" address. Right on the point that one.

Gonna mess with it again when it warms up.

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 18:16 on Feb 23, 2022

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

So this is a recurrence sort of thing and your consciousness is returning to the source, taking with it the nice moments to enrich the collective us

e:
I mean to say, if there's any semblance of a reality to nonlocality why would it not be conceivable that our atoms are paired and born from a centralized consciousness
like our lives are just little instances broken off from the source and periodically reconnected like a 5g signal syncing

yea for sure man for sure

it could also still be blind chaos, terminal, fleeting and meaningless :cthulhu:

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Barry Foster posted:

I started with that second link and wow, what a thorough rear end kicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The Protagonist posted:

yea for sure man for sure

it could also still be blind chaos, terminal, fleeting and meaningless :cthulhu:

I mean, maybe? But nah, not at all.