Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its weird because as far as I can tell the day/night cycle does nothing in game so even having it in the first place seems pointless. There's like one piece of clothing that does something at night but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

glad the mods are on the case to shut down civil thread-relevant discussion before it gets out of hand

I've read this thread for years, there's only one way discussion like this goes and it isn't pretty.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I just assumed (or maybe read somewhere? I can't remember) that stealth and enemy vision are different at night, if they don't even do that then yeah, I'd never bother playing anything other than full daylight so I can see stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just assumed (or maybe read somewhere? I can't remember) that stealth and enemy vision are different at night, if they don't even do that then yeah, I'd never bother playing anything other than full daylight so I can see stuff.

If they do it is such a small change that it isn't noticeable.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

That bugged me too, first because I don't understand own world day/night cycle games *not* having a time advance feature just for sheer convenience, and second because I think that specific quest setup is dumb without having an "Advance to appropriate time? Y/N" prompt.
This is part of the "too many teams at Ubisoft and they're not learning from each other" complaint I have about lots of their recent-ish games. Some of their games have manual ways to progress time, some like WD:L don't have that (anymore, the old games by a different team had it) but at least they let you skip to the appropriate time for the task and some have... nothing?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Far Cry stealth doesn't really care about light or darkness, so I also mostly play during the day. I almost wish you could make the day night cycle work on your system time, because it matters so little.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I've been playing Outward with a friend because both of us, individually, tried to play this game and found it to be so bafflingly difficult that it was nearly impossible to play, and even co-op it's exceptionally brutal and needlessly punishing so we're kind of just flailing upwards and sometimes making what we hope is progress. But that's not actually what drags it down, or at least not what I'm specifically posting about. No, what's really got me just confused is that they introduced enchanting in the first DLC for it, but decided to make it the most obtuse system in a game that's already needlessly obtuse in every way possible. First you have to buy two items, an altar and a pillar. You place the altar, and then you place the pillar. But where you place the pillar matters because the direction relative to the altar matters. Then you need to make incense out of usually rare items and if you do this in the right time of place, in the right location, with the right weather then you can enchant your stuff! Sometimes. Because most enchantments are hyper specific to the point where they only apply to certain armor sets, or sometimes only certain pieces of certain armor sets. And even then they'll only give you like 3% of a stat boost or something. :psyduck: And just to make it even dumber, the second DLC introduces another form of enchanting where you just go to an enchanting guild, plop your item in with a rare material and bang, zoom, enchanted. Except all of the enchantments from the second DLC are unique, so if you want any of the first DLC's enchantments you have to do them that weird way, not the easy way. Oh, and every item can only have one enchantment. There's no way to remove enchantments. I don't know why I can't stop playing this game.

Also, in the first DLC's area there's this guy who wants "Shield Golem Scraps" as a quest item. Earlier in the game there's someone who wants "Beast Golem Scraps" which you get from the aptly named Beast Golems. They're robot dogs. There are also Sword Golems, they're robots with swords. So here we are spending a few hours looking for robots with shields. Turns out, no, stupid us. We should have been looking for the Galvanic Golem the robot that shot balls of lightning at us. That drops the item we needed. I don't understand this game.

Philippe posted:

I've read this thread for years, there's only one way discussion like this goes and it isn't pretty.

There were like twenty posts reasonably talking about Dark Souls and like five posts stomping their feet about posts about dark souls that were entirely in their head. It's kind of dumb to shut down a conversation that wasn't even getting out of hand and throw up a moratorium for what's basically no reason.

Opopanax posted:

It's not about it being uncivil, it's about anytime anyone mentions a souls game we get dozens of repeated posts about games that are all several years old dominating the thread
What dozens of repeated posts?

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Feb 23, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's not about it being uncivil, it's about anytime anyone mentions a souls game we get dozens of repeated posts about games that are all several years old dominating the thread

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I hate it when people complain about games in the complaining about games thread

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The git gud thing has put me off playing Dark Souls and now whatever this new game is.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
My advice for dark souls is stay bad and play another game.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

muscles like this! posted:

Hey, Far Cry 6, maybe don't gate a side mission so that you can only do it at night when there's no way to actually advance time other than just waiting it out. Also as far as I can tell there isn't a way to tell time so you have no way of knowing if it is going to be night soon.

The game is annoying because I think it is fun to play but there's just a ton of little things that are poorly done.

6 took everything that worked about older FC games, and then added in more Ubisoft bullshit.

I hate the workbenches. I hate the clothing stats. I even don’t like the actual map.

Nothing about the map says “crazy wilderness to explore because that’s what FC is about.”

The game absolutely is better than 5 but they’ve watered down so much and added in other fillers.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I was a dongus before and I'm sorry. Please talk about Dark Souls, like how it's bullshit that poise isn't a thing anymore in DS3.

Philippe has a new favorite as of 18:42 on Feb 23, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Teh main problem is really people not being specific about HOW to get good, like in Metal Gear Rising in his LP chip cheezum was incredibly clear - "gently caress it, parry it". You can parry almost everything, so practice parrying and you'll have more luck.

Similarly in Nioh I learned how to use systems with each other to eventually beat the first boss (although I'm stuck on the second now :P), for example learning how to alternate between high and low stance to dodge the bosses attacks and then strike back really hard. The same trick doesn't work on the second boss, but I'll figure it out in time, and I will have "gotten good" at those particular fights by that point.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Brandfarlig posted:

Or you just don't minmax to that degree :shrug: Armor is mostly cosmetic in BB anyway.

But then there's a big mechanic that looks really prominent, but has minimal impact on the game. Which is also annoying!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

But then there's a big mechanic that looks really prominent, but has minimal impact on the game. Which is also annoying!

Looking dope actually has a huge impact on the game.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Philippe posted:

I was a dongus before and I'm sorry. Please talk about Dark Souls, like how it's bullshit that poise isn't a thing anymore in DS3.

And then that one guy pouring through the code found what was basically a "poise on/off?" switch, turned it on on his modded version and it worked basically exactly like it did in Demons Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2 and From was still like,
"No, ignore that line of code, Poise is working exactly as intended, which is to say basically not at all in complete contrast to 3 other games we've made. All big and bulky armor is now useless...enjoy."

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Crowetron posted:

Looking dope actually has a huge impact on the game.

It gives me the confidence to parry everything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Beastie posted:

6 took everything that worked about older FC games, and then added in more Ubisoft bullshit.

I hate the workbenches. I hate the clothing stats. I even don’t like the actual map.

Nothing about the map says “crazy wilderness to explore because that’s what FC is about.”

The game absolutely is better than 5 but they’ve watered down so much and added in other fillers.

Valhalla and FC6 show how fragmented Ubisoft development has become because both games do this thing where the reward for effort on getting chests is all out of whack. Like you figured out how to get to a chest in a room that is blocked off somehow, too bad what's in the chest is most likely just a generic crafting item. Like sure, early on in FC6 you're getting weapons and clothes out of chests but there are more chests than items so after a certain point you just get resources.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

Teh main problem is really people not being specific about HOW to get good, like in Metal Gear Rising in his LP chip cheezum was incredibly clear - "gently caress it, parry it". You can parry almost everything, so practice parrying and you'll have more luck.

Similarly in Nioh I learned how to use systems with each other to eventually beat the first boss (although I'm stuck on the second now :P), for example learning how to alternate between high and low stance to dodge the bosses attacks and then strike back really hard. The same trick doesn't work on the second boss, but I'll figure it out in time, and I will have "gotten good" at those particular fights by that point.

Honestly, at least in my experience, a lot of the time when I was struggling there wasn't anything fundamentally wrong with my approach, I just wasn't doing it very well. And that ultimately was just a matter of familiarizing myself with a bosses attack patterns and just being patient and letting that knowledge build through repetition. Maybe one or two attacks that I had to know to watch for specifically but that was mostly it. But even that, I think, is better advice than just "git gud"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

And then that one guy pouring through the code found what was basically a "poise on/off?" switch, turned it on on his modded version and it worked basically exactly like it did in Demons Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2 and From was still like,
"No, ignore that line of code, Poise is working exactly as intended, which is to say basically not at all in complete contrast to 3 other games we've made. All big and bulky armor is now useless...enjoy."

It'd be nice if they just came out and said that armor is stupid, don't worry about it. Focus on leveling your stats and weapons, armor is just for fashion. You're going to be three-shot by every mimic regardless of where you are in the game.

Armor will still have weight though, so you can't wear anything heavy.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

RareAcumen posted:

It'd be nice if they just came out and said that armor is stupid, don't worry about it. Focus on leveling your stats and weapons, armor is just for fashion. You're going to be three-shot by every mimic regardless of where you are in the game.

Armor will still have weight though, so you can't wear anything heavy.

just put cosmetic armor slots in already From, you cowards

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That would mean making things easier and that's not really their thing anymore, since they've committed fully into being the git gud game dev.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Instead they're now adding Form as a stat to the game. If your Form stat is too low, you have a high chance of dropping your weapon mid attack and it's more likely if they deflect off a wall or a shield.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Philippe posted:

That would mean making things easier and that's not really their thing anymore, since they've committed fully into being the git gud game dev.

More like Dark Assholes

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Philippe posted:

Bloodborne's armor, which started the conversation, is weightless

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Qwertycoatl posted:

SotfS improved some things about dark souls 2 but putting five million knights in iron keep was the dumbest thing

Honestly I'll take the Alonne Knight spam (since they're hilariously weak to strike damage, and that's my pet build anyway) but flooding Dragon Aerie with the mummy guys that explode and break your equipment, now that's some sloppy bullshit. And then they made Dragon Aerie completely optional anyway.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Simply Simon posted:

Bloodborne's armor, which started the conversation, is weightless

Yeah. There are a couple of times you might want to kit up for specific elemental resistance but 90% of the time you're dressing for fashion.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I feel like people overstate armor's uselessness in Souls, I find there are a lot of times where changing my set will drop a boss's damage from 55% of my hp to 45% so now I can take twice as many hits without dying. It can also make a big difference against non-bosses, which are a big part of the game. Maybe it's because I always beeline for the HP soft cap.

That said, other soulslikes have actual tank builds that are viable and fun and good, it would be cool if From could try that at some point, not that I'm holding my breath.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's incredibly frustrating, yeah. In bloodborne Lady Maria does physical/blood/fire in some unknown combination, so how am I meant to know which armour set is going to be best against her? And even if I do know which armour set is best, how is "select the armour that's best against this ratio of damage" an interesting gameplay decision?

Parry the poo poo out of her with gear that has +riposte damage on it (forget the rune). That’s how I killed her. Took a while though. Armor absolutely doesn’t help once she hits phase 3.

Anyway, Infernax is fun as hell and a neat way to kill time until I get my hands on Elden Ring but holy poo poo that one dungeon with the platforming bullshit is the one of the craziest difficulty spikes I’ve ever seen and it comes out of nowhere. gently caress that place. Game goes from a Castlevania clone to one of those lovely Kaizo Mario games instantly.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Feb 23, 2022

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Philippe posted:

Elden Ring has summons you can improve and more easily available multiplayer so it seems like it will have more tools than usual to deal with difficulty. It's not like they keep increasing the difficulty between games except for the later games being a bit faster than the earlier ones.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Brandfarlig posted:

Elden Ring has summons you can improve and more easily available multiplayer so it seems like it will have more tools than usual to deal with difficulty. It's not like they keep increasing the difficulty between games except for the later games being a bit faster than the earlier ones.

"a bit faster" is really underselling it lol

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Currently playing Great Ace Attorney, but really, this applies to the Ace Attorney series as a whole: the music is fantastic, so I'm obviously not gonna play on mute. However, I wish there was a way to turn the "text advancing" noise off, or at least lower it so I can hear the music a bit better.

RareAcumen posted:

The combat in Lost Judgment is way better than the first one but two small things bug me.

What's improved, combat-wise?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Read After Burning posted:

Currently playing Great Ace Attorney, but really, this applies to the Ace Attorney series as a whole: the music is fantastic, so I'm obviously not gonna play on mute. However, I wish there was a way to turn the "text advancing" noise off, or at least lower it so I can hear the music a bit better.

I hate when games don't have separate audio sliders for Music, Sound Effects and Voice. It's especially annoying in older console games where there's just one for "Sound" and the terrible audio mixing means you have to listen to characters mumble lines with no subtitles and then you'll hit open your inventory and get bombarded with deafening bloops and clicks.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

CordlessPen posted:

It gives me the confidence to parry everything.

gently caress, I think that was actually the case for me. Bloodborne was the first game I tried actually parrying in, and quickly got good at it, and I think at least part of the reason for it was because I looked good as hell while ripping out guts with my bare hands

Man Bloodborne ruled

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Outward is the gift that keeps giving, I love this stupid game. So like many games it has some real annoying hunger and thirst meter stuff, but it gets pretty creative with how punishing it is! When you get hungry, you lose like 25% of your damage. Also, you can get hungry at basically any time because it's just an invisible timer that counts down. So either you eat before you enter battle, or you run the risk of running towards a dude, weapon ready, and suddenly You Are Hungry and you are now going to get your rear end kicked because you are not killing whatever laser beam rear end in a top hat or nuclear deer you tried to fight.

Also, hilariously, enemies will absolutely not reset their spawns. The boss of a dungeon chased me all the way to an exit and we barely got out without dying. Ran all the way back to town to sleep and heal, went back; and immediately were exploded and killed by this dude just standing there right at the door. It was a good lesson to learn because it became easier to prepare for tough enemies knowing we could exploit this, but also it's mean they just wait for you.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Philippe posted:

I'm definitely thinking about it.

Thinkin bout thos rings

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This is only tangential to the conversation but what exactly is the story with DS2: SotFS? Is it just like a directors’ cut or something since (I think) the original Dark Souls team was busy with Bloodborne during DS2’s development? What was the impetus for an entirely new game version?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Horizon Forbidden West has a weird map decision that I've seen a few times, in that the game decides to only show a lot of the location icons if you're zoomed in to an extent that I think is unreasonable of you want to be scrolling around the map looking for things to do. But I just noticed a new wrinkle today, in that the biggest plot relevant sites/fast travel icons disappear if you zoom in to that level.
Whyyyy :psypop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

This is only tangential to the conversation but what exactly is the story with DS2: SotFS? Is it just like a directors’ cut or something since (I think) the original Dark Souls team was busy with Bloodborne during DS2’s development? What was the impetus for an entirely new game version?

I think it was mainly a "GotY edition" to sell as a package with all the DLC. They took the opportunity to expand the story a little bit and retool a lot of the encounters.