Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zodium posted:

they're strenuously disagreeing with that, instead opting for saying the problem is something intrinsic to (human) life.

quote:

Eventually a species gets good enough at that that they invent capitalism. [...] The great filter exists and we are in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I didn't read past the headline
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1496433738309414913?t=LawT0cHmOlMOVseNBgifIg&s=19

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

my thumbs are putting cracks in my monitor right now

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
with fire not of fire

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The gods were correct to punish Prometheus.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Lifting a finger to even alleviate the ongoing accelerating disaster would make a few of us sad, so you trifling little shits better get used to the fire. Stiff upper lip

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

ok fine I'll start grinding my Fire Resist stat

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FIRE IS ENDEMIC

WHAT ARE YOU WORRIED ABOUT?

DOES NOT THAT AIR SMELL SO SWEET?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Humanity Must Learn To Live With Mass
Death

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

FistEnergy posted:

they told me gearing up for Molten Core would have no usefulness in the "real world"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

beyond parody

i mean i know it's been true for a while now but i mean look at this

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

looks like smoked meat is back on the menu

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

"capitalism is intrinsic to all life" is still just a variant on that.

Rime posted:

Is it? Non-capitalist societies existed and proliferated for all of human history, many of them persisting in stability for hundreds or thousands of years before dissolving. Capitalism, in the way we understand it, is younger than most of the nations practicing it. This is an ideology and social structure barely 300 years old. An eyeblink. It’s a mental pandemic rapidly burning itself out, along with its hosts, while a few pockets of independent thought continue to struggle through.

The rest of this is just the classic “inevitability” rhetoric which has been hammered into your head by a lifetime of being exposed to the propaganda used to prop up and perpetuate these systems. Darwinian evolution does not apply to societies of conscious individuals.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I say again, if society itself is not collectively conscious (this sure seems to be the case!) then individual free will is meaningless

a miserable little collection of slime molds eating eachother and their substrate until none is left

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Zodium posted:

Capitalism and/or ideals of exponential growth don't need to be intrinsic to all life. They just need to pop up in a ruling class or two, have enough short term success to propagate, and then you're off to the races.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Humanity Must Learn To Live With Mass
Death

this but also it will

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zodium posted:

capitalism is inimical to all life

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Isnt capitalism just accounting invented for coloniation/slave economy?

Like move your army to pillage different villages every few years vs capitalism what is different than the payout waterfall.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Maoism third-worldism is the light

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Roughly around the time we killed God, we also invented a new god which is stupid and evil, and is destroying everything

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

I'm not really worried about this, because the vast majority of economic activity takes place indoors (AKA a place where wildfires do not occur).

We should also note that wildfires that engulf urbanized areas are not true "wild" fires. Ergo, not an issue, and we'll need to learn to live with this.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
we'll just have to get used to heat domes that murder the elderly and infirm by the thousands

we'll just have to learn to live with millions of acres of boreal forest turned to kindling because of pine beetles

megadrought? better get used to getting up early to suck the dew off the grass

just don't stop going to work

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the development of capitalism depended on the particular historical circumstances on planet earth, like the presence of oil and the evolution of a species with the affordances to exploit its effectivities, not some universal teleology. the fermi paradox and attendant concept of a 'great filter' are nothing more than an expression of capitalist realism in the form of a pseudo-scientific prediction: that we would expect to see evidence of life, recognizable to a scientist in the 1950s as life, in outer space. why do we perceive no signs of intelligence elsewhere in the universe? because we have no idea what to look for besides signs of capitalist civilization, and unlike enrico fermi in the 1950s, we now know with extremely high certainty that capitalism is not a stable system we would expect to see signs of for very long on these scales. if there were a planet with a vast civilization living in harmony with the planet two systems over, we would have no way of knowing. since we would in fact not expect to see anything resembling our broken civilization anywhere for very long, the paradox is resolved, and the great filter becomes moot.

SKULL.GIF posted:

capitalism is inimical to all life

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the epistemic rider is my favorite horseman.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

learned a cool burd fact today.
was feeding peanuts to animals in the central park north woods.
saw redwing blackbirds, sparrows, starlings, bluejays, woodpeckers, crows, redtail hawks, cardinals, robins, and black and grey squirrels.
anyway the bluejay shows up to the peanut party and does like his normal bluejay scream but then he starts doing the redtail hawk call and freaking the other animals out so he can jump down and grab some peanuts without having to tussle for them.
very good impression too. scared the poo poo out of me i thought the hawk was right on top of me.
anyway, no pesticides allowed in city parks is paying off pretty good

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

well actually

https://twitter.com/RogerPielkeJr/status/1440789136097505281?s=20&t=YW3b4HXshDwbOOkOjnF-6w

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
this guy seems like a tool

https://twitter.com/RogerPielkeJr/status/1496524212412252161

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I realize this isn’t what the article means, but yes we should learn to live with fire. Fire is a key component of many ecosystems even pre-climate change and our anti-fire obsessions have made it worse.

Obviously a just society wouldn’t make defensible space and evacuation planning a personal responsibility but if you live near the wildland urban interface or rurally you should still prepare.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Hubbert posted:

I'm not really worried about this, because the vast majority of economic activity takes place indoors (AKA a place where wildfires do not occur).

i'm still amazed by how stupid this is every single time it comes up. i'm not sure which of these options is worse; that economists actually believe this, that economists actually believed someone would believe this, or that economists actually made someone believe this

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FistEnergy posted:

Man, I really don't want to grind for another Onyxia Scale Cloak.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i'm still amazed by how stupid this is every single time it comes up. i'm not sure which of these options is worse; that economists actually believe this, that economists actually believed someone would believe this, or that economists actually made someone believe this

pluto is a planet!!!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Forcing people to give up the cigarettes that they love has led to a massive decrease in the rate of ambient semi-purposeful burns which have caused the more recent fires to burn with a fury and intensity that a society of cool, mellow smokers would never yield

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/hausfath/status/1496547170324992010

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why did they buy these dumb graftmobiles instead of vans like pretty much all other postal services worldwide.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

usps needs to operate as a business due to america sucking poo poo and its probably true that already established maintenance practices and standard fuel costs is cheaper over the short term on ice trucks than electricity and new training for mechanics and battery replacements would be on evs.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, but why buy fully custom vehicles instead of one of the many vans for left-hand drive already available? Not only is the fuel economy of these Oshkosh vehicles beyond terrible, there's no way maintenance and replacement parts on these exotic vans is cheaper than with a stock Sprinter van.

And other postal services operate as a business as well, but still use electric vans. They very much are cost-effective.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

also they probably have to buy domestically made vehicles or some other crap and the us ev market probably doesnt have too many reliable options available at massive fleet scale

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

this is america, fame. we gotta do it stupidly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

^- what they said -^

Fame Douglas posted:

Why did they buy these dumb graftmobiles instead of vans like pretty much all other postal services worldwide.

Because people recognize the LLV as a cultural icon and can’t imagine not replacing it with another icon?