Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

indigi posted:

I looked up what this is, and apparently it can’t go faster than 8mph in reverse? that’s funny

that's for the paid future DLC pack to solve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

indigi posted:

I looked up what this is, and apparently it can’t go faster than 8mph in reverse? that’s funny

Seems like an overloaded transmission?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

[statler and waldorf voice] but it only has two gears!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

I mean it is essentially an armored car put into a utility role.

That said, it’s 340 hp engine is more powerful than most APCs…

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Isn't the Bradley replacement even bigger than the Bradley. It sounds like they literarily did Pentagon Wars with that one

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Isn't the Bradley replacement even bigger than the Bradley. It sounds like they literarily did Pentagon Wars with that one

It probably has to be bigger just to fit a whole squad in it, which the Bradley couldn't.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It probably has to be bigger just to fit a whole squad in it, which the Bradley couldn't.

The new replacement for the m113 only fits 6, I guess the idea is they are going fit more equipment in it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

The new replacement for the m113 only fits 6, I guess the idea is they are going fit more equipment in it.

It's gonna fly

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
What are some good books/articles/etc. to read that are related to the things that have been talked about in this thread?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Takanago posted:

What are some good books/articles/etc. to read that are related to the things that have been talked about in this thread?

maybe you have heard of a little someone called Tom Clancy

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Ardennes posted:

look if you want to transport a whole squad all you need to do is buy two of the darned things! Built in redundancy and operational flexibility!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Takanago posted:

Brassy’s Land Warfare Series is a good start

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The MATV/JLTV has built-in night vision cameras with a flip-down screen and a halon system that suffocates the crew if it goes off and like no cargo space and the cab is as high off the ground as a big rig, it is supposed to fill the role of a jeep, lmao it owns

Iirc the doors have hydraulics since they're so heavy due to the armor, like basically an apc ramp but the designers wanted it to open like a car door

Imagine a ww2 movie where the commander comes tooting down the road in a jeep but instead its a big rear end loving over-the-road tractor trailor sized armored car being driven by an 18 year old with "40 hours" (some E6 rubberstamped their license) of driver training who is sitting like ten feet off the ground white-knuckling the steering wheel trying not to take out oncoming traffic or street signs

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 22:20 on Feb 20, 2022

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

KomradeX posted:

From what i can find there isn’t one anymore. Just cancellation after cancellation until they threw up their hands and said ‘uh we’ll replace everything including the m1 in 2035’

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

From what i can find there isn’t one anymore. Just cancellation after cancellation until they threw up their hands and said ‘uh we’ll replace everything including the m1 in 2035’

Last I saw there were five different replacements being considered this last year. So they gave up on all of them?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

I must have missed that, they mentioned it on an episode of Well There's Your Problem last year. I didn't realize it had been cancelled

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Looks like its going ahead but delayed from this year to 2025, then delayed again till production start 2030 so yeah 2035 sounds about right for general adoption

https://www.defensenews.com/land/2021/10/11/us-army-gets-its-first-look-at-bradley-replacement-options/

At least some of the delay appears to be because the mic got pissy with the military expecting the arms companies to front some of the cost causing it to fall through and the military to apologise and offer more of their own funding

KomradeX posted:

I must have missed that, they mentioned it on an episode of Well There's Your Problem last year. I didn't realize it had been cancelled

Yeah sorry cancelled wasn’t the right word, just significantly delayed

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
good luck having an america by 2030, let alone engaging in whatever military misadventure with perpetually delayed boondoggles

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Justin Tyme posted:

The MATV/JLTV has built-in night vision cameras with a flip-down screen and a halon system that suffocates the crew if it goes off and like no cargo space and the cab is as high off the ground as a big rig, it is supposed to fill the role of a jeep, lmao it owns

Iirc the doors have hydraulics since they're so heavy due to the armor, like basically an apc ramp but the designers wanted it to open like a car door

Imagine a ww2 movie where the commander comes tooting down the road in a jeep but instead its a big rear end loving over-the-road tractor trailor sized armored car being driven by an 18 year old with "40 hours" (some E6 rubberstamped their license) of driver training who is sitting like ten feet off the ground white-knuckling the steering wheel trying not to take out oncoming traffic or street signs

I was given 20 minutes of practice before my first convoy in a 30 ton armored vehicle through Baghdad I had never been in before.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

The Warrior replacement was giving the drivers brain damage of some sort from vibrations.

It kind of rules that we can’t replace any of the 70’s and 80’s era equipment because the MIC has gotten exponentially dumber since then.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Frosted Flake posted:

The Warrior replacement was giving the drivers brain damage of some sort from vibrations.

Havana syndrome is real….

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Takanago posted:

https://taskandpurpose.com/opinion/millenium-challenge-2002-stacked-deck/

The book I've been posting excerpts of is "About Face: The Odyssey of an American Warrior", by David H. Hackworth

I'd also recommend "The Perfect War: Technowar in Vietnam" by James William Gibson, which is an even harsher and more materialist breakdown of why the American military failed at Vietnam so badly

I'd also recommend "The Limits of Power: The End of American Exceptionalism" by Andrew Bacevich, as well as "America and the Imperialism of Ignorance: US Foreign Policy since 1945" by Andrew Alexander for a broader look at US foreign policy

Regarding the US experience in Iraq, I'd recommend "The Forever War" by Dexter Filkins, and Rajiv Chandrasekaran's "Imperial Life in The Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Justin Tyme posted:

All tweaked out on ripits no doubt

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Blackhawk Down(at a Utah ski resort)
https://twitter.com/localnews8/status/1496273737561292807?s=20
The rotor of the first helicopter struck the second. Amazingly, no one died.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The helicopter is a capable hunter but by no means perfect

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
America is so divided they got people thinking snatching kids and throwing them into rape camps is okay:
https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1496511215719399431
America is too divided to possibly win WW3.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’m curious what they’ll have to do in your initial training to get soldiers vaccinated and willing to wear (gas) masks.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Gas Masks with Juul pods attached.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Frosted Flake posted:

I’m curious what they’ll have to do in your initial training to get soldiers vaccinated and willing to wear (gas) masks.
Vaccines = super soldier serum
gas masks are to protect against gay bombs

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frosted Flake posted:

The same way they do with everyone else: They get tossed into the tear gas and OC spray training room anyway. The consequences of their choices will soon become apparent.

staticman posted:

America is too divided to possibly win WW3.

Ya, whoever is in office during WW3 will have the other side that didn't vote for them defying anything they do as a matter of course. Nothing a bit of yellow journalism and narrative making can't fix, but we're definitely not going to see people just lining up to enlist like after Pearl Harbor.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Regarding the US experience in Iraq, I'd recommend "The Forever War" by Dexter Filkins, and Rajiv Chandrasekaran's "Imperial Life in The Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone"

both of these are really good. I forget which one it is (Filkins, I think) but one of them has my favourite story about the US occupation. A bunch of occupation bigwigs were going to come visit a hospital to see how American investment was improving Iraqi lives, and the journalist tagged along. They walk through this hospital that seems decently outfitted, the lights are on and the machines are running, there are some patients getting treated. The bigwig gives a speech about how great the occupation is and leaves. The journalist sticks around to chat with people and learns that they shipped in a bunch of generators the day before so that the lights would be on and the machines running while the bigwig was there, and now that he's gone they're going to remove the generators again and the hospital will go back to being completely non-functional with no machines working because there's no electricity. A Potemkin hospital set up just so that the bigwig will think their money is making a difference, while the Iraqi people who need a hospital suffer the other 364 days of the year that Paul Bremer isn't flying in to do an hour long tour.

vyelkin has issued a correction as of 22:17 on Feb 23, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

imperial life was a great read

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ww3 is going to be a collapsing america invading and enslaving western europe to work in the McNugget mines since they have all the bases and troops already there.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Real hurthling! posted:

imperial life was a great read

welp, world war three is apparently kicking off so i'm just gonna say "imperial life was great"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
this thread's central thesis may well be tested soon

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3coxrP3wbd4

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the war may be secondary to the energy supply and commodity grain effects.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the war may be secondary to the energy supply and commodity grain effects.

oh that’s a relief, for a second I thought tensions might be heightened 😁

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Centrist Committee posted:

oh that’s a relief, for a second I thought tensions might be heightened 😁

man I just keep thinking about the supply chains of the Bronze Age and what happens when they can’t get tin anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

welp, world war three is apparently kicking off so i'm just gonna say "imperial life was great"

this bullshit ain’t no ww3, putin’s just a midboss on the west’s journey toward the final confrontation with xi