Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mystes posted:

I feel like in a lot of places, it doesn't even matter how successful these road closures were; permanently keeping the road closed was never even a possibility.

It would be nice if the restaurant owners realize they were better off with it closed, though.

Restaurant owners are the stupidest loving people you ever met

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

plz dont drill your bike

But the weight savings

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Sweet! Post a pic when you get it and don't drill any holes in the frame.

plz dont drill your bike
see it's a good thing I posted because I don't know poo poo about bikes, i just know drills

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.... people drilling out their aluminum handlebars to attach grips. I've seen seat posts too small with the clamp bending the frame around them. Quick releases levers completely opened and then threaded down to hold wheels in. Rusted P-Clamps disintegrating on the rear triangle. All of these moments lost like sweat on the asphalt

edit: you can just clamp/velcro poo poo to your bike, do that instead. Or if there are threaded "eyelets" you attach stuff there

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 13:53 on Feb 23, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What is going on in Paris

https://twitter.com/DavidZipper/status/1496103677127446541?s=20&t=_lfRTn37XNU4JKXMA0b6IA

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i love this

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

edit: you can just clamp/velcro poo poo to your bike, do that instead. Or if there are threaded "eyelets" you attach stuff there

why don't i just lash it on with a jungle vine while i'm at it

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

why don't i just lash it on with a jungle vine while i'm at it

why dont I lash you with a jungle vine mister

take a look, no lashing or anything required just all velcro. bet the bags cost a fortune altogether.

I prefer the rack with panniers, or even more so just wearing a messenger bag or backpack. Everyone has their own taste which will take a while to develop

Jokerpilled Drudge has issued a correction as of 14:12 on Feb 23, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bi crimes posted:

i love this

As long as they are also fining the car alarms that get set off by the motorcycles.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think people downplay noise pollution, like what are you, upset about being in the city around people? But when auto noise pollution is removed you might realize you couldn't actually hear people before.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Complaining about something that allows me to live where i do and all that, but i live out in the country and right now, inside my house with the windows closed i can still occasionally hear traffic on the highway a mile and a half away

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think people downplay noise pollution, like what are you, upset about being in the city around people? But when auto noise pollution is removed you might realize you couldn't actually hear people before.

I wanted to live somewhere relatively dense and at least a mile away from major roads and highways, and that filters out the majority of places around here. I live in a spot 2 miles from downtown and a mile from the nearest highway, and the noise is so annoying. Depending on environmental conditions, sometimes the noise is minimal, but on some cold, windy nights, it's loud. Holidays and COVID gave me a taste of what it'd be like if the cars were all destroyed, or the highway was ripped out, and I long for it. The noise is all from the god damned suburbanites, driving in from outside of town to do literally anything because they live in voids with nothing, and they complain about the noisy city and the homeless lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dog Case posted:

Complaining about something that allows me to live where i do and all that, but i live out in the country and right now, inside my house with the windows closed i can still occasionally hear traffic on the highway a mile and a half away

Used to stay out in a camp in i-10 in a pretty heavily forested area and even in the earliest hours of the morning it was rarely truly quiet. You could hear this dim droning from cars many miles away even

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I live in a college town that sees a regular fluctuation of like 30,000 people between breaks in school. I'm out there walking every day, so I hear the difference when the students are gone. The quiet is beautiful. You can hear birds, people talking across the street, and even the rustling of leaves. I do meditative walks where I just focus on my senses, and even a single approaching car is an overwhelming roar that drowns out everything else.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Restaurant owners are the stupidest loving people you ever met

if it's any consolation, even if you have restaurant owners on your side it turns out the car-centric status quo is still almost impossible to overturn

there was a major effort to turn 18th street in DC into a pedestrian street. it's a really good choice for something like that, and a lot of the major lifting was done by businesses on the street. when the pandemic started our mayor briefly relented and let them have a mangled version of a pedestrian street, but then after a few weeks the administration said it was bad because it was actually too successful and it was drawing too many people so they had to close it.

the whole episode shows how you just cant win with car-brained governments, either fewer people showed up so they could say it isn't very popular and close it, or a bunch of people show up and now they have to give all the space back to cars to eliminate a public health hazard. the neighborhood committees and businesses and activists were all on the same side, it didn't matter

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

I feel like in a lot of places, it doesn't even matter how successful these road closures were; permanently keeping the road closed was never even a possibility.

It would be nice if the restaurant owners realize they were better off with it closed, though.

all small business people have massive car brains

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Fitzy Fitz posted:

when I moved to the country, I realized how intolerable the noise in cities is. it's like a constant low-grade headache.

biking infrastructure sucks in the country, unfortunately.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

leftist heap posted:

all small business people have massive car brains

this also sucks because they have an oversized voice. there's one locksmith near me that's loudly opposing a new open street, and all of the old chuds are like "how dare you open street advocates ignore the locksmith?? his shop has been open in this community since 1960!!"

it's like, dude... locks are still going to exist after the open street... the locksmith will be fine

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's just really amazing when you think about it how cars have ALL THE STREETS and you simply aren't allowed to say "hey let's take away this one street and use it for pedestrians but cars can still use EVERY OTHER STREET that run parallel to it" because, no, cars have to have every single inch of available space.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Small business owners are convinced that no one will shop at their store unless they can always park in a curb space right out front like in the movies.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
gently caress cars and gently caress Texas.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxP442T-aZ0

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

bi crimes posted:

I wanted to live somewhere relatively dense and at least a mile away from major roads and highways, and that filters out the majority of places around here. I live in a spot 2 miles from downtown and a mile from the nearest highway, and the noise is so annoying. Depending on environmental conditions, sometimes the noise is minimal, but on some cold, windy nights, it's loud. Holidays and COVID gave me a taste of what it'd be like if the cars were all destroyed, or the highway was ripped out, and I long for it. The noise is all from the god damned suburbanites, driving in from outside of town to do literally anything because they live in voids with nothing, and they complain about the noisy city and the homeless lol

i live in a high-rise that's not on any busy streets but my balcony faces a freeway that's 2 miles away and it's still so loving loud i can't bear to spend time out there

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
wow very racist of parisians to hate poor people who have to drive loud car. smdh

mystes
May 31, 2006

Xaris posted:

wow very racist of parisians to hate poor people who have to drive loud car. smdh

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh man. What do you do when you have broad support for a project, go through all of the proper procedures, but then feel hamstrung because a portion of the opposition is non-white?

https://twitter.com/sandypsj/status/1496548944721195013?s=20&t=a0n57nC-4AsCTqkx-EvciQ

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Cat Puke posted:

gently caress cars and gently caress Texas.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Oh man. What do you do when you have broad support for a project, go through all of the proper procedures, but then feel hamstrung because a portion of the opposition is non-white?

https://twitter.com/sandypsj/status/1496548944721195013?s=20&t=a0n57nC-4AsCTqkx-EvciQ

Could people just post the article, rather than making Twitter link you have to click through twice to get to the actual story?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti..._source=twitter

PeterCat has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Feb 23, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like it when people link the tweets

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

So, from the article, bike lanes are considered gentrification? Like, it's better to chain poor people to cars than make it easier to get around by bike?

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/oct/05/blame-bike-cycling-contribute-city-gentrification

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

PeterCat posted:

So, from the article, bike lanes are considered gentrification? Like, it's better to chain poor people to cars than make it easier to get around by bike?

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/oct/05/blame-bike-cycling-contribute-city-gentrification

I'm gonna say based on the people I've seen who use bikes most frequently in my area: this idea is not based in reality, but based on a preconceived notion someone set out to prove.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

PeterCat posted:

it’s gentrification and individualism when you take transportation alternatives to driving a car

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

bi crimes posted:

it’s gentrification and individualism when you take transportation alternatives to driving a car

We need a non-carbrained robert moses. Bulldoze entire streets for parks and bury high-speed passenger rail underneath.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

This one breaks my brain. The Metropolitan African Methodist church in Washington D.C. wouldn't let the city put a protected bike lane in front of the church, citing the loss of parking. Here's what the street in front of the church looks like. I don't know how much parking they think they're going to lose on such a narrow street:

Here's the article, I'm quoting it due to the paywall:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/mike-debonis/wp/2013/08/15/how-a-downtown-bike-lane-has-become-a-political-headache/

WaPo posted:

How a downtown bike lane has become a political headache
A cyclist uses the eastbound L Street lane, to which the M Street lane is supposed to be a westbound companion. (Matt McClain/For The Washington Post)
By Mike DeBonis
August 15, 2013

The longstanding plan to build a new crosstown bicycle lane separated from traffic has pitted two influential factions against each other and has turned into an epic political headache for Mayor Vincent C. Gray (D).

In the works in various forms since 2010, the M Street NW cycle track is intended to be a westbound analog to the eastbound-only facility on L Street NW that opened between 12th and 22nd Streets last year, separating cyclists from auto traffic more definitively than plain painted bike lanes thanks to plastic bollards.

Though the L Street lane involved removing dozens of parking spaces, and plenty of people complained about the inconvenience to drivers, bicycling advocates have hailed the facility and downtown life seems to have adapted just fine about 10 months later. Problem is, the M Street bike lane runs past a prominent downtown church — Metropolitan AME, between 15th and 16th streets — and church parking battles enter a whole new realm of hard-knuckle politics.

Signs of the church backlash emerged in May, when Metropolitan members attended a community meeting on the latest plans and objected to the notion that it would eliminate parking spaces on its block, badly needed for Sunday services and special events. The tenor of the debate, according to an account posted on the WashCycle blog, was heated and included this comment: “When slaves built our church, they were not thinking about bike lanes.”

On Thursday morning, WAMU-FM report Martin Di Caro reported on the latest developments as the lane lurches toward construction in the coming months — including that the protected lane would not, in fact, be protected on the 1500 block, as it passes Metropolitan AME. Pastor Ronald E. Braxton told Di Caro that the solution was a “win-win” for cyclists and churchgoers, but the vocal bike lobby does not see it that way.

So now we are amid the backlash to the backlash. A sampling of the Twitter outrage:

Not a good precedent @mikedebonis:M Street cycletrack canceled in front of church, @martindicaro http://t.co/VzQlSgWiMy%94

— Tommy Wells (@TommyWells) August 15, 2013

Doesn’t seem fair MT @mikedebonis: Metropolitan AME gets cycletrack canceled in front of its church via @martindicaro http://t.co/ByaMYWXVHt

— Scott Whipple (@swh1pple) August 15, 2013

Seriously? unacceptable MT @mikedebonis: Met. AME succeeded in getting M St cycletrack canceled in front of church http://t.co/zuLpXUDwaD

— Kate Ahern Loveric (@PirateQueenKate) August 15, 2013

Unbelievable. RT @mikedebonis: Metropolitan AME succeeded in getting cycletrack canceled in front of its church http://t.co/TWXtU31ilc

— Liz P (@LizinDC) August 15, 2013

@mikedebonis @MartinDiCaro what the effing eff, @DDOTDC??!! https://t.co/ghJQB5BunI

— J.T. E (@jtedc) August 15, 2013

Now, it should be noted, it is not at all clear whether the decision to delete the protected lane from the 1500 block is final. The Greater Greater Washington web site published drawings Thursday that looked awfully final, but transportation department spokesman Reggie Sanders told me Thursday the situation is “kind of fluid.”

“It’s a very sensitive issue,” Sanders said.

I was unable to reach anyone at Metropolitan, which is one of the oldest and most storied black congregations in the city and counts among its members many influential folks including D.C. Council member Vincent B. Orange (D-At Large). No one picked up the phone in the church office Thursday, and no one was at the church when I dropped by this afternoon.

So with the extremely vocal cyclist community now up in arms, and with Gray trying to delicately balance his political support as he decides whether to seek another term, will Hizzoner heed the backlash to the backlash. And if he does, will there be another backlash?

Update, Aug. 16: The transportation department confirmed in a Friday blog post that only a standard painted bike lane will be included on the 1500 block, because the more ambitious design “would have had an impact on church operations … and limit the ability to accommodate special events at the church along with routine activities.”

“Metropolitan AME has a large congregation and has been an important institution on this block since 1925,” the department added.

Update, Aug. 19: Metropolitan pastor Ronald E. Braxton released the following statement:

I want to applaud the city for trying to accommodate the concerns of all of its citizens.
It was apparent to the city once they heard the concerns of the church that the 1500 block of M Street was the most narrow part of M street, so the city tried to address concerns of the church. While we had concerns about parking spaces, they were not the only concerns. Metropolitan pays tens of thousands annually for our members, visitors and others to park in nearby garages. Because of the many events that occur in the church and the flow of traffic, the city decided not to limit the flow of traffic to two moving lanes at any given point in time.
It would be one thing if the Metropolitan congregation—many of whom are longtime District residents—gathered only one or two hours on Sunday mornings. But that is not the case. Metropolitan has 175 years of service to the Greater Washington community. It is open seven days a week and at any given time during the week, it is host to significant events. Some of these events are church-related, such as funerals, the distribution of food for seniors, and feeding homeless people. But others reflect our work as a national and international gathering place and host of major events that are important to our city and our nation. When these events occur in the life of the church, it is almost impossible for traffic to get from 15th Street to 16th Street. The District took all of this into consideration and came up with a solution that allows it to meet the needs of the bicyclists, the church, the safety of pedestrians and the flow of traffic in an important corridor in our city. We think this is a win-win for all involved in our community.

mystes
May 31, 2006

OK, then leave the parking on both sides and get rid of a car lane instead.

(Actually slightly more realistically: Take the current car spaces on one side and make them a bike lane. Take one of the car lanes and allow parking in it on Sundays or maybe non rush hour hours every day.)

mystes has issued a correction as of 20:31 on Feb 23, 2022

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

mystes posted:

OK, then leave the parking on both sides and get rid of a car lane instead.

(Actually slightly more realistically: Take the current car spaces and make them a bike lane. Take one of the car lanes and allow parking in it on Sundays or maybe non rush hour hours every day.)

I think that's supposed to be an unprotected bike lane on the right? But those things scare the poo poo out of me.

It's like the lane you can see on the right side of the road here. Yeah, just an narrow painted lane on a 40mph road, also the right turn into the shopping area cuts over the lane as well, so I just ride on the sidewalk instead of risking my life.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

PeterCat posted:

This one breaks my brain. The Metropolitan African Methodist church in Washington D.C. wouldn't let the city put a protected bike lane in front of the church, citing the loss of parking. Here's what the street in front of the church looks like. I don't know how much parking they think they're going to lose on such a narrow street:

Here's the article, I'm quoting it due to the paywall:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/mike-debonis/wp/2013/08/15/how-a-downtown-bike-lane-has-become-a-political-headache/

Here's an idea, street parking should be illegal everywhere.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

:yeah:

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

why can this church stop a bike lane from being built anyways. the on street parking is on the street. it doesn't belong to them. it's not yours. gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

i keep seeing vehicles parked in driveways sticking out into protected bike lanes and it's giving me dangerous thoughts